Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

I see the report that it won't be Muschamp but lots of people really don't appreciate how good our 2008 and 2009 defenses were. Underappreciation of 2008 is probably because of raw numbers the year the Big 12 decided to never call holding. Not sure how people don't get it on 2009 though. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Or maybe he wants to keep his buyout money?  Not sure how his contract is structured with SC if he takes a job.

You might be right. There's some bumps remaining with his buyout. Bizarre if it's any other reason

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/carolina/usc-seeks-amicable-muschamp-settlement-assistant-left-before-pay-change/article_8804f980-3b17-11eb-96c8-9f379af25b79.html

I will be very disappointed if the DC isn't Ash or Muschamp. Steele, Odom, and Freeman would be ok but not worth the change from Ash.

Also don't understand why it'd be bad timing for Muschamp. FCB/his source could be full of it 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Texas Flood said:

This makes sense. If nothing else, he wouldn't want his name out there so slight chance it's smoke screen szn once again

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

That was a very deflating moment.   When I heard most of toms assistants made the flight with him to Austin I seriously asked “why are they doing that?”   I thought Tom was gonna bail on those guys    

sark seems to have a better approach

I agree that Herman should have used the opportunity to upgrade his stuff. His arrogant ass thought he was the answer.  That said, Sark is a different situation. He was an OC, not a head coach. He doesn't really have a staff to bring with him. And maybe that's a benefit of hiring a coordinator over a head coach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

From Gerry:

I'd be good with that. Did a good job this year, players seem to be like him, and continuity matters. On the business side, he's also got a very reasonable deal and this would save a buyout for him. Not sure he can recruit like Boom but it sounds like recruiting won't be an issue with this staff.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sure that I am as enthused about Muschamp as some of you.

On the one hand, he was solid here.  On the other, that was a long time ago and he struggled at times with some of the "Big XII" offenses, namely Tech.  Well, the Big XII has only gotten more "offensive."

He was a helluva lot better than solid here. His first defense was good, his second was elite and his third would have been elite if not actively sabotaged by the offense on every down of every game they played.

And the Big XII has actually backed off as an offensive league. Outside of OU its a pretty run of the mill spread league with KSU holding out. The really devious MF’ers have left the league or football for one reason or another.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

I don’t mind that. Is Boom going to Michigan?

The big ones that could be looking besides Michigan would be Auburn, Notre Dame, LSU, and possibly aggy if Elko leaves, so if he doesn’t come here it’d have to be one of those I’d imagine. Unless he wanted to give the NFL a shot.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

QBs/OC (in name only, it appears) - Milwee (was an analyst at Bama, Butch Jones just hired him at Arkansas State)

RBs - it sounds like Drayton has a good chance of being retained. Haven't seen any other names.

OL - Kyle Flood is the first choice. Gerry mentioned Brad Davis, Arkansas' OL coach under Sam Pittman.

WR - Keary Colbert, currently at USC. Football Scoop just floated Holmon Wiggins (currently at Bama).

TEs/ST - Jeff Banks (this feels unlikely to me, but I haven't seen any other names)

DC - Muschamp or Ash

DL - Bo Davis

LBs - I've seen Mike Stoops floated (fuck me), Tosh Lupoi (bagman extraordinaire), or Hutzler (could be retained depending on the DC)

DBs - no consensus here. Some Corey Raymond buzz, not sure how much of that is wishcasting. It sounds like he wants to get out of LSU. I've also seen the safeties coach at Oregon mentioned.

khary payton twd GIF by The Walking Dead

Welcome back!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

really excited about the seemingly likelihood of getting kyle flood.  that should fix the OL issues.  also love the bullish stuff posted above about tosh lupoi.  if we're gonna go for it, lets go for it.  corey raymond would also be a home run.

i am also perfectly fine with drayton and ash being retained.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB:

Hide contents

***As you know by now, our sense a back in December that Sark was emerging as “the guy” has come to fruition. I will offer my thoughts on this hire, shortly.

***But for now, we’ve been trying to get a sense of where Sark will go for his hires.

***I’ve reached out to the same sources who originally gave us Sark’s name as being possibly the guy at Texas.

***The only two names they felt fairly confident about are names you’ve already heard – Kyle Flood “as OL coach or possibly OC”.

***Also, source said they, “think Tosh (Lupoi) will be DL or OLB coach”.

***Source added, “Sark is trying to take a few guys from Bama that Butch (Jones) wanted. AJ Milwee, a real up and comer on the offense as a position coach and maybe future OC”. Source seemed less certain on this front.

***Also, I was told that in the meeting yesterday between Sark and the players, Sark apparently told the players he would be interviewing the current coaches on staff (obviously fairly standard) but source said Sark added, “we want you guys to be comfortable”. I’m interpreting here but that sounds like something you say when you already have an intention to retain someone or multiple someones.

***I imagine that discussions with the AD and admin about retentions were had during negotiations but I don’t know if Sark gave them the “yeah we can definitely consider that” with nothing binding him to keeping anyone or if the AD and admin insisted on retaining certain people.

***Lastly, Bo Davis’ name has begun to circulate as a possible hire on the defensive line. I heard the name, as well. However, I know that Bo is very close to coach Saban and coach Saban holds him in very high esteem. I was told by one of my sources that “If coach (Saban) wants Bo, and I think he does, and there’s a spot, Bo will be at Alabama”.

***More as I get it and feel comfortable running it.

UPDATE (10:02 AM)

***Had some additional corroboration from another source on the likelihood of Tosh Lupoi ending up at Texas. This is a source who I’ve known for a while that is very close to the Washington program and has been for a while. Source just said, “I’d bet a lot of money Tosh ends up there”.

***Source also said that a name to watch is Doug Nussmeier. Source said, “Saban hired Nuss which started the UW to Alabama coaching connection”. This is less the source hearing this will happen, and more the source who has known all the UW guys for a long time believing the nature of their relationship makes it a real possibility.

UPDATE (10:39 AM)

***Football Scoop is reporting that Sark is targeting Alabama WR coach, Holmon Wiggins.

Link here.

Always tough to pull someone away from Saban but I like the moxie.

This pleases me.

5 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB:

Reveal hidden contents

***As you know by now, our sense a back in December that Sark was emerging as “the guy” has come to fruition. I will offer my thoughts on this hire, shortly.

***But for now, we’ve been trying to get a sense of where Sark will go for his hires.

***I’ve reached out to the same sources who originally gave us Sark’s name as being possibly the guy at Texas.

***The only two names they felt fairly confident about are names you’ve already heard – Kyle Flood “as OL coach or possibly OC”.

***Source added, “Sark is trying to take a few guys from Bama that Butch (Jones) wanted. AJ Milwee, a real up and comer on the offense as a position coach and maybe future OC”. Source seemed less certain on this front.

***Also, I was told that in the meeting yesterday between Sark and the players, Sark apparently told the players he would be interviewing the current coaches on staff (obviously fairly standard) but source said Sark added, “we want you guys to be comfortable”. I’m interpreting here but that sounds like something you say when you already have an intention to retain someone or multiple someones.

***I imagine that discussions with the AD and admin about retentions were had during negotiations but I don’t know if Sark gave them the “yeah we can definitely consider that” with nothing binding him to keeping anyone or if the AD and admin insisted on retaining certain people.

***Lastly, Bo Davis’ name has begun to circulate as a possible hire on the defensive line. I heard the name, as well. However, I know that Bo is very close to coach Saban and coach Saban holds him in very high esteem. I was told by one of my sources that “If coach (Saban) wants Bo, and I think he does, and there’s a spot, Bo will be at Alabama”.

***Had some additional corroboration from another source on the likelihood of Tosh Lupoi ending up at Texas. This is a source who I’ve known for a while that is very close to the Washington program and has been for a while. Source just said, “I’d bet a lot of money Tosh ends up there”.

***Source also said that a name to watch is Doug Nussmeier. Source said, “Saban hired Nuss which started the UW to Alabama coaching connection”. This is less the source hearing this will happen, and more the source who has known all the UW guys for a long time believing the nature of their relationship makes it a real possibility.

***Football Scoop is reporting that Sark is targeting Alabama WR coach, Holmon Wiggins.

Link here.

Dudes absolutely swinging for the fences. He gets it, that Tosh news is encouraging. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB:

Hide contents

So gruntled.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

TFB:

Hide contents

Link here.

How tf do I change it so that I can read this text 

3 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

Anyone on the Facebook Hookem Horns page ?  Damn lots of art briles rape apologist wanting him for oc even head corch. 

Pro-tip: don’t ever rely on Facebook for Texas football information. The official posts from the University’s page yesterday was full of morons commenting that Herman just needed more time with his players, can’t believe we fired such a standup man of high morals, etc. It’ll truly rot your brain

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Dudes absolutely swinging for the fences. He gets it, that Tosh news is encouraging. 

Absolutely this. It will be nice for a HC hire to actually attempt to assemble an elite staff rather than dragging his G5 buddies into Austin to further prove that they’re G5 coaches.

• Hook 'Em 4

Bro holy fucking shit on that TFB post, I’m inclined to believe them as they had the sark interest first. Lupoi would be absolutely scary recruiting here...my god that would be such a good hire. Imagine the upgrade from Giles to Lupoi, holy fuck! 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Just now, RGBIII said:

Bro holy fucking shit on that TFB post, I’m inclined to believe them as they had the sark interest first. Lupoi would be absolutely scary recruiting here...my god that would be such a good hire. Imagine the upgrade from Giles to Lupoi, holy fuck! 

Atlanta’s season will be over in about 2 hours. Maybe we can get some good news on Tuesday 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

If Saban was close to retirement wouldn’t Sark just stay there?

Because who knows when he'll actually retire.  Those guys have to be burned out at the end of each year, but then a little down time and R&R and they get themselves geared up for Spring Ball again.  Same situation when Muschamp was coach in waiting here.  Mack kept pushing it off and coming back.  Nothing is guaranteed.
Sticking around for potentially taking over Bama at some point is worth turning down South Carolina.  It's not worth turning down Texas.

8 minutes ago, Xian said:

I just dont see saban keeping sark on staff this week if he is actively trying recruit coaches away from him. 

Seems very anti-saban. 

either sark is that good or saban is truly about to retire. 

Sark is going to do that if he's with the team or not. I'm sure he'd rather have an engaged awesome offensive coordinator for a fucking championship game as a tradeoff of MAYBE losing an additional staff member or two. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Can’t imagine Raymond coming if Ash is retained. Hope to be wrong about that but would imagine we would keep Valai which is fine. If Ash is retained my guess is the only changes we see are at DE and DT with Hutzler and Valai retained