Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

So I’ve seen Milwee on every one of these lists, with the note that he is an Alabama analyst. Butch Jones just made him OC at Arky St. in the last week. Have any of the 995ers even mentioned that, because I haven’t seen it on any of the stuff copied over here. He very well may consider QB coach at Texas a better opportunity so it’s moot, but it seems like a pretty important nugget of information.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Other than Stoops, most of the initial names floated pass the smell test.

Inevitably, some of the first and second choice guys will turn us down. What Sark does after that will tell us a lot about him.

1st- Good morning- I’m glad to see you “back”.  I truly hope that you and yours are all well. 

2nd- I’ve been out of the loop driving back from CO yesterday- Can you, or someone else, please list the run down of initial names floated?  

Thanks in advance!

34 minutes ago, Snacks said:
18 hours ago, maninblack said:
Will knows not of what he speaks. Get Giles the fuck off the 40

I keep hearing this, but our DL is good consistently, and improves each season. Giles and Ash are the only defensive coaches I'd want to keep.

This. Giles is great at developing players. Whatever our issues have been, they haven't been on the D-line.

Muchamp would be fantastic. If we don't get him, I'd be more than happy keeping Ash. I'd also keep Giles, Hutzler, and Drayton.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Texasrocks said:

This. Giles is great at developing players. Whatever our issues have been, they haven't been on the D-line.

Muchamp would be fantastic. If we don't get him, I'd be more than happy keeping Ash. I'd also keep Giles, Hutzler, and Drayton.

From a few posters that seem to have connections to Muschamp, I get the sense Muschamp isn’t the biggest fan of Giles.  I think you can expect Giles to get the axe is Muschamp is in charge.

Burton has an update that basically repeats what Gerry wrote yesterday about the staff. Nothing new. 

1AD7466A-FBC0-4E04-B673-337D2AF58EA6.thumb.jpeg.a81292212902cef864b8ae69e405e369.jpeg

If Muschamp wants to keep Hutzler, which makes sense given their previous experience together, and Ash is the alternative at DC, you’d think Hutzler pretty much guaranteed to stay. No reason to replace him under the same DC after the job he did this year.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, saul silver said:

That guy is a fucking moron. He and FCB are one and the same. 

News Reporters (aka Journalists) often overvalue their egos and importance these days. They get butt hurt if they are not the exclusive gate keepers of info from their beat.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

From a few posters that seem to have connections to Muschamp, I get the sense Muschamp isn’t the biggest fan of Giles.  I think you can expect Giles to get the axe is Muschamp is in charge.

Which is perfectly fair. New staff means changes. I don’t get the “get Giles the fuck off the 40” sentiment though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I want coach Boom back. Chris ash has surprised me this year though. I’m torn.

As far as getting these Alabama position coaches - without looking at the situation with orange tinted glasses - why would they leave Alabama and make a lateral move to Texas? Doesn’t make sense to me. I can understand the LSU DB coach wanting to leave as he can’t understand a fucking word their head coach says and their DC is now gone.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

As far as getting these Alabama position coaches - without looking at the situation with orange tinted glasses - why would they leave Alabama and make a lateral move to Texas? Doesn’t make sense to me. I can understand the LSU DB coach wanting to leave as he can’t understand a fucking word their head coach says and their DC is now gone.

Because they don’t have to work for Satan?

Question regarding the potential coaches retained and their current employment status - have all coaches been formally let go and bought out? Meaning, have we already paid their buyouts and would they be negotiating new contracts? And if they would be expected to work under their old contracts, would keeping them mean paying an additional bonus/incentive? Otherwise they may say “fuck it” and take another job and get paid for this year twice.

I'm not sure that I am as enthused about Muschamp as some of you.

On the one hand, he was solid here.  On the other, that was a long time ago and he struggled at times with some of the "Big XII" offenses, namely Tech.  Well, the Big XII has only gotten more "offensive."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Kyle Flood would leave to get the OC title and pay increase that comes with it.  Maybe he wants to be a head coach again?  Moving from an OC to a HC is easier than moving from OL coach.  Flood was with Sark in ATL - so they have some history together.

Jeff Banks might be looking for more responsibility and Sark might be offering it.  They also may be friends and so he'd come back to the state to help Sark (and be paid handsomely).

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, irishtexan said:

Question regarding the potential coaches retained and their current employment status - have all coaches been formally let go and bought out? Meaning, have we already paid their buyouts and would they be negotiating new contracts? And if they would be expected to work under their old contracts, would keeping them mean paying an additional bonus/incentive? Otherwise they may say “fuck it” and take another job and get paid for this year twice.

The firing of Herman would not legally be cause for termination of the assistants' contracts, most likely.  Either the University or the coach would have to act to terminate.

It is possible that the University terminated all of the assistants upon terminating Herman, but that seems foolish.  Let things play out and terminate those who aren't retained or who themselves terminate by finding another job.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’d like to keep Ash for continuity.

Ash-DC
Corey Raymond - DB’s
Hutzler-LB’s
Giles - DT’s
Joyner - DE’s

On offense I’d love to see samples on the roster but don’t think there is a spot for him. Banks and Colbert would be huge additions.

Adding Kyle Flood would be a massive get too.

I also hope that SK negotiated a separate pool of money that is grotesquely large for analysts.

Lastly, I’d love it if we started a specialized S&C program for OL....not just for those at UT but all over the country. High school OL can come for free to our camps, NFL can use the special facilities to train in the off-season, etc. I’d like Austin to be Mecca if you’re an OL or aspiring OL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Keep Ash and Hutzler.  Bring in Raymond from LSU.  DL I’m torn.  Davis wasn’t bad when he was here but Giles has the position rolling right now.  Recruiting wise you’d probably want Davis.  

Drayton will be the only O coach that stays.  Sark will call plays, make flood OC in title and a pay raise, sounds like Milwee is the QB coach.  Bring Banks and go get Colbert.  

There you go.   Doesn’t sound like the Tosh train is happening 

5 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I believe flood worked for the falcons as the assistant OL coach when Sark was there.  He then went on to be the Bama OL coach with Sark.  I’m guessing he’s more of a Sark guy than a Saban guy and his success is probably tied to running Sarks offense.

AJ Milwee is a young guy who seems to know how to coach QBs.  Butch Jones poached him and Sark thinks highly of him. Saban hired him at Bama as a grad assistant I believe.  I’m guessing he will gladly jump from ark st to be the qb coach at Texas.  I’m sure he wants to be mentored and learn from Sark.

I’m not sure about Jeff Banks.  He would be a home run hire for Texas at the TE spot.  He knows Texas very well coaching at aggy.  Not sure he will leave Bama but perhaps he’s ready for a raise and change of scenery or maybe he wants to stay in this offensive system.  Who knows who Bama will hire next.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

I’d like to keep Ash for continuity.

Ash-DC
Corey Raymond - DB’s
Hutzler-LB’s
Giles - DT’s
Joyner - DE’s

On offense I’d love to see samples on the roster but don’t think there is a spot for him. Banks and Colbert would be huge additions.

Adding Kyle Flood would be a massive get too.

I also hope that SK negotiated a separate pool of money that is grotesquely large for analysts.

Lastly, I’d love it if we started a specialized S&C program for OL....not just for those at UT but all over the country. High school OL can come for free to our camps, NFL can use the special facilities to train in the off-season, etc. I’d like Austin to be Mecca if you’re an OL or aspiring OL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bobby said that Assistants salaries (and I would guess by extension analysts) would not be a problem.  We'll spend whatever Sark wants to spend to bring high quality guys here.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

Yeah I'm in the same boat with the notion that we will be able to relocate the Alabama coaching staff to Texas. That being said, I'm very much hopeful for Flood if I had to pick one.

I hope he isn't as much of a reach as I feel he is.

0uwsy0pdui451.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 6

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

They haven’t been let go. If they go elsewhere right now they’ll be forfeiting their pay from Texas. If Sark keeps them, they’ll be working under their current contracts/salaries unless UT/Sark choose to give them a raise and renegotiate. 

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I believe flood worked for the falcons as the assistant OL coach when Sark was there.  He then went on to be the Bama OL coach with Sark.  I’m guessing he’s more of a Sark guy than a Saban guy and his success is probably tied to running Sarks offense.

AJ Milwee is a young guy who seems to know how to coach QBs.  Butch Jones poached him and Sark thinks highly of him. Saban hired him at Bama as a grad assistant I believe.  I’m guessing he will gladly jump from ark st to be the qb coach at Texas.  I’m sure he wants to be mentored and learn from Sark.

I’m not sure about Jeff Banks.  He would be a home run hire for Texas at the TE spot.  He knows Texas very well coaching at aggy.  Not sure he will leave Bama but perhaps he’s ready for a raise and change of scenery or maybe he wants to stay in this offensive system.  Who knows who Bama will hire next.

Nah - he's an Offensive Analyst at Alabama - he was an OC at Akron for 6 years before that.  He's been around a little while - he was one of the young up-and-comers this board was looking at after Charlie finally shit-canned Watson.  He'd be a great QB coach hire and would help out if offensive game-planning.  Those Akron teams put up points.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nah - he's an Offensive Analyst at Alabama - he was an OC at Akron for 6 years before that.  He's been around a little while - he was one of the young up-and-comers this board was looking at after Charlie finally shit-canned Watson.  He'd be a great QB coach hire and would help out if offensive game-planning.  Those Akron teams put up points.

Well now he's the OC at Arkansas State, but point noted. 

Thank God the names are dudes we have actually heard of and not Drew fucking Mehringer 2.0

I’m bullish on Sark bringing a solid staff. Just fuck that Stoops noise.

My god, the more I look at it, the more I get pissed off at Herman for bringing that initial C team staff. Same with Strong’s initial offensive staff.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:
19 hours ago, maninblack said:
Will knows not of what he speaks. Get Giles the fuck off the 40

I keep hearing this, but our DL is good consistently, and improves each season. Giles and Ash are the only defensive coaches I'd want to keep.

If it ends up being Will then Giles is gone

30 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

unless of course he's a grape ape fan

While he’s worked with Sark the past few years at Bama and with the Falcons, Flood isn’t tied to Sark beyond that. He worked under Schiano at Rutgers forever.

Whether Flood comes here depends on his ambition at this point. If he wants to work his way back to a HC job, coming to Texas with some combo of OC/AHC tag makes sense. If he’s good with coaching OL, no reason to leave Bama unless it’s for the NFL.

At WR, Colbert would be a home run, but if he doesn’t come I’d hope Samples gets the first call. Though I’d expect Sark to try to go get Tee Martin, even if it might require a Co-OC tag to get him out of his alma mater. That’s one comfort hire litmus test I’ll be watching.

Sark said it best.  Staffing is like a puzzle.  You can't have a team of all good coaches who are not good recruiters.  You can't have all great recruiters without the skills to coach them up.  Giles has a place as he can certainly coach.  But he has deficiencies in recruiting that needed to be covered up by Carrington.  Depending on the other coaches, I'd be ok retaining him.  But I'd also be ok if Sark brought in someone else as well.  I do like what Hutzler has done this year.  And quite honestly I think Vallai has done a decent job and seems to be a plus recruiter.  He's no Raymond obviously, but I'd be ok retaining him if we can't poach Raymond.  On offense you let Sark hire whoever he wants/needs to get his system in place.  Ideally, that includes keeping Drayton for some continuity and to keep Bijan happy.  But he's far from a rainmaker at the RB spot which is often times the recruiting coordinator and able to help out other position groups as well for other schools.  So depending on the rest of the staff's strengths, he may or may not be a good fit going forward.

I have no idea if it'd be even a remote possibility, but I wonder if it'd be worth a shot kicking the tires on Elko.  Someone yesterday said he was going to talk with ND again about returning.  Surely we could pay more than them.  Aggies would match whatever we offered, and probably 150% to keep him away from us.  But if he just wants to get out of college station, it could be a fit.    He's built up some solid ties in state now and could hit the ground running recruiting wise too.  No idea if he'd want to work for Sark though.  

• Hook 'Em 1