Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know everybody has a hard on for Muschamp but outside of one relatively shitty year as DC at Auburn in between his Florida and South Carolina gigs, he hasn't coordinated a defense in a decade since he was last here. His South Carolina teams didn't really punch above their weight on defense either, especially considering they played in the shitty sec east plus aggy every year. Clemson routinely shit all over him, but they do that to just about everybody. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good hire, but do we know he still has the goods to scheme against today's offenses? Is he really a slam dunk? 

I wouldn't mind them sticking with Ash. His defenses tackled amazingly well considering where they came from last season and they didn't beat themselves. And his scheme seems easy to recruit to 

One thing I do like about Sark is that he should have a pretty extensive network between Carroll and Saban plus his stint in the NFL. I think everybody lost a good bit of confidence in Strong right off the bat after he hired Watson. Same thing to a certain extent with Herman and Beck, although that was somewhat more justifiable given Herman's background on Qb development and play calling and Beck's reputation as a recruiter. I'm all ready to make snap judgments and overreact to whoever comes on board. 

This is my only concern with Muschamp - he hasn't had but one year of dedicated Coordinator experience in a decade.

But - he pretty clearly was heavily involved in the defenses of the teams he was HC.  Anybody know if he was making defensive play calls from the sidelines?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Mother mopar said:

Boner jams.pic

Yep.  Would be an amazing hire.  Things would have to be really fucking toxic to think Raymond is a possibility for a lateral move to Texas.

I guess wholesale Coordinator changes in back to back to back years isn't a great thing for staff morale.

Muschamp has been tied to being possible replacements at ND and aggy if Elko bails.  He’s still a damn good DC.  So is Ash... it really comes down to who Sark feels will fit best within his staff.  I’d take Bo Davis, Huztler, Raymond, and Muschamp over what we currently have.  That’s a fucking all star defensive staff.  Defense is not complicated.  You need the best athletes and keep it simple.  A staff like this will recruit with the best of them.  Get them on the team and coach them fundamentals.  That is essentially what Ash is doing.  Perhaps Muschamp can do it even better... he’s had the best defense here in the last 15 years. 

Edited by victory88

Sark said it best.  Staffing is like a puzzle.  You can't have a team of all good coaches who are not good recruiters.  You can't have all great recruiters without the skills to coach them up.  Giles has a place as he can certainly coach.  But he has deficiencies in recruiting that needed to be covered up by Carrington.  Depending on the other coaches, I'd be ok retaining him.  But I'd also be ok if Sark brought in someone else as well.  I do like what Hutzler has done this year.  And quite honestly I think Vallai has done a decent job and seems to be a plus recruiter.  He's no Raymond obviously, but I'd be ok retaining him if we can't poach Raymond.  On offense you let Sark hire whoever he wants/needs to get his system in place.  Ideally, that includes keeping Drayton for some continuity and to keep Bijan happy.  But he's far from a rainmaker at the RB spot which is often times the recruiting coordinator and able to help out other position groups as well for other schools.  So depending on the rest of the staff's strengths, he may or may not be a good fit going forward.
I have no idea if it'd be even a remote possibility, but I wonder if it'd be worth a shot kicking the tires on Elko.  Someone yesterday said he was going to talk with ND again about returning.  Surely we could pay more than them.  Aggies would match whatever we offered, and probably 150% to keep him away from us.  But if he just wants to get out of college station, it could be a fit.    He's built up some solid ties in state now and could hit the ground running recruiting wise too.  No idea if he'd want to work for Sark though.  

I don’t mind keeping Valai if Ash ends up being retained. He’s a plus recruiter and obviously knows Ash’s system given their history, and Ash would be heavily involved with DB coaching anyway. If an elite coach is on table you upgrade but he works fine. I’d want to see Muschamp find a better fit.

2 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

From his bio:

Holmon Wiggins is in his second season at Alabama on head coach Nick Saban’s staff as the Crimson Tide’s wide receivers coach. 

Wiggins came to Tuscaloosa after three years (2015-18) coaching wide receivers at Virginia Tech under head coach Justin Fuente. He also worked for Fuente at Memphis for four seasons (2012-15). 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep.  Would be an amazing hire.  Things would have to be really fucking toxic to think Raymond is a possibility for a lateral move to Texas.
I guess wholesale Coordinator changes in back to back to back years isn't a great thing for staff morale.

Yeah if Raymond actually makes the move things must be worse than anyone realizes at LSU. Which is saying something because my impression is fucking dumpster fire.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know everybody has a hard on for Muschamp but outside of one relatively shitty year as DC at Auburn in between his Florida and South Carolina gigs, he hasn't coordinated a defense in a decade since he was last here. His South Carolina teams didn't really punch above their weight on defense either, especially considering they played in the shitty sec east plus aggy every year. Clemson routinely shit all over him, but they do that to just about everybody. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good hire, but do we know he still has the goods to scheme against today's offenses? Is he really a slam dunk? 

I wouldn't mind them sticking with Ash. His defenses tackled amazingly well considering where they came from last season and they didn't beat themselves. And his scheme seems easy to recruit to 

One thing I do like about Sark is that he should have a pretty extensive network between Carroll and Saban plus his stint in the NFL. I think everybody lost a good bit of confidence in Strong right off the bat after he hired Watson. Same thing to a certain extent with Herman and Beck, although that was somewhat more justifiable given Herman's background on Qb development and play calling and Beck's reputation as a recruiter. I'm all ready to make snap judgments and overreact to whoever comes on board. 

It wasn’t just Tim Beck, it was the whole staff. Hell, Mehringer and Warehime set me off the most personally. This is the single biggest issue with Sarkisian’s hire. If he brings in a great staff that can do well on both coaching and recruiting and runs a bagman game, fucking A.  

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Is this a personal thing between those two - or is it because Will has his own guys that he has to bring with him?

Not sure if things have changed, but Muschamp used to say that Giles is the laziest college coach he’s ever worked with, and his recruiting behavior certainly reflects that. 

• Hook 'Em 7

10 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

https://youtu.be/lmKVDexv8jc

Mic’d up.   Seems like a fun guy to be around.

Edited by JOSEYWALES66
  • Hook 'Em 6

Generally, footballscoop is nails with coaching stuff. Snagging the position coach of the first WR Heisman winner in decades would be quite the flex.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

QBs/OC (in name only, it appears) - Milwee (was an analyst at Bama, Butch Jones just hired him at Arkansas State)

RBs - it sounds like Drayton has a good chance of being retained. Haven't seen any other names.

OL - Kyle Flood is the first choice. Gerry mentioned Brad Davis, Arkansas' OL coach under Sam Pittman.

WR - Keary Colbert, currently at USC. Football Scoop just floated Holmon Wiggins (currently at Bama).

TEs/ST - Jeff Banks (this feels unlikely to me, but I haven't seen any other names)

DC - Muschamp or Ash

DL - Bo Davis

LBs - I've seen Mike Stoops floated (fuck me), Tosh Lupoi (bagman extraordinaire), or Hutzler (could be retained depending on the DC)

DBs - no consensus here. Some Corey Raymond buzz, not sure how much of that is wishcasting. It sounds like he wants to get out of LSU. I've also seen the safeties coach at Oregon mentioned.

Thanks @Machinator

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Generally, footballscoop is nails with coaching stuff. Snagging the position coach of the first WR Heisman winner in decades would be quite the flex.

Could help us snag some quality receivers through the transfer portal too if there are many quality ones available

21 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

While he’s worked with Sark the past few years at Bama and with the Falcons, Flood isn’t tied to Sark beyond that. He worked under Schiano at Rutgers forever.

Whether Flood comes here depends on his ambition at this point. If he wants to work his way back to a HC job, coming to Texas with some combo of OC/AHC tag makes sense. If he’s good with coaching OL, no reason to leave Bama unless it’s for the NFL.

At WR, Colbert would be a home run, but if he doesn’t come I’d hope Samples gets the first call. Though I’d expect Sark to try to go get Tee Martin, even if it might require a Co-OC tag to get him out of his alma mater. That’s one comfort hire litmus test I’ll be watching.

Pruitt is going to be out the door at Tennessee soon, he's probably the P5 coach with the hottest seat now that Herman got canned and Harbaugh is getting an "extension". Oddly enough, Texas may provide more job security than Tennessee at the moment (although Martin would have no problem finding work if Pruitt got fired).

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It wasn’t just Tim Beck, it was the whole staff. Hell, Mehringer and Warehime set me off the most personally. This is the single biggest issue with Sarkisian’s hire. If he brings in a great staff that can do well on both coaching and recruiting and runs a bagman game, fucking A.  

Not sure if things have changed, but Muschamp used to say that Giles is the laziest college coach he’s ever worked with, and his recruiting behavior certainly reflects that. 

You do this, and the floor is at minimum what UGA is doing.  If you can have a schematic advantage on top of that... that’s where you can become dominant.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Pruitt is going to be out the door at Tennessee soon, he's probably the P5 coach with the hottest seat now that Herman got canned and Harbaugh is getting an "extension". Oddly enough, Texas may provide more job security than Tennessee at the moment (although Martin would have no problem finding work if Pruitt got fired).

Pruitt was going to be out the door this season, allegedly. Then the powers that be took one look at the prospective candidates and decided to ride that bus to nowhere for another year.

• Haha 1

Just now, closetohumping said:

A couple of prominent posters at IT if there is such a thing said BC trashed our coaches and university.  

I like BC, but there are other guys that can do his job.  If we keep him, great.  If he goes elsewhere... good luck to him.  Much of his success comes from recruiting our brand.  If he’s smart, he knows his best bet is to stay here and utilize his skills now with competent coaches and recruiters.  If he doesn’t want to be here, good luck to him.  He isn’t exactly tearing it up this year.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

A couple of prominent posters at IT if there is such a thing said BC trashed our coaches and university.  

That was denied by almost all of the mods. Specifically Hamilton, I believe. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Pruitt was going to be out the door this season, allegedly. Then the powers that be took one look at the prospective candidates and decided to ride that bus to nowhere for another year.

And now a sizeable contingent of Tennessee's message board fans are clamoring for Herman

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I like BC, but there are other guys that can do his job.  If we keep him, great.  If he goes elsewhere... good luck to him.  Much of his success comes from recruiting our brand.  If he’s smart, he knows his best bet is to stay here and utilize his skills now with competent coaches and recruiters.  If he doesn’t want to be here, good luck to him.  He isn’t exactly tearing it up this year.  

I mean you need to see what he had to work with....Jordan Belfort couldn’t sell this shit

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

QBs/OC (in name only, it appears) - Milwee (was an analyst at Bama, Butch Jones just hired him at Arkansas State)

RBs - it sounds like Drayton has a good chance of being retained. Haven't seen any other names.

OL - Kyle Flood is the first choice. Gerry mentioned Brad Davis, Arkansas' OL coach under Sam Pittman.

WR - Keary Colbert, currently at USC. Football Scoop just floated Holmon Wiggins (currently at Bama).

TEs/ST - Jeff Banks (this feels unlikely to me, but I haven't seen any other names)

DC - Muschamp or Ash

DL - Bo Davis

LBs - I've seen Mike Stoops floated (fuck me), Tosh Lupoi (bagman extraordinaire), or Hutzler (could be retained depending on the DC)

DBs - no consensus here. Some Corey Raymond buzz, not sure how much of that is wishcasting. It sounds like he wants to get out of LSU. I've also seen the safeties coach at Oregon mentioned.

I'm fine rolling with Ash for another year. Play calling and O-line are the areas we need to make sure are on point.

17 minutes ago, victory88 said:

He's had to cover for multiple assistant coaches that also were recruiting our brand.  Our brand doesn't mean very much right now.  Samples seems to have done pretty well for himself with SMU brand getting in the door on some pretty big time recruits that should have no business talking to SMU.  It is definitely a skill.  One that certainly becomes easier with winning and putting kids in the draft.  But that hasn't exactly been happening here lately.  I'd like to see what BC is capable of doing if he had some tailwinds instead of headwinds for once.

What argument to recruits do you think he should have made that would have overcome all the "your coaches don't develop talent and they are all going to get fired soon" narrative.  One man can only be so persuasive.  I'm not going to pretend that I know all the "Carringtons" at other schools, but man I find it hard to believe that there are more than a handful or two of other non-coaches that have been able to build relationships with kids as well as he seemingly does. 

Edited by JPETERMAN
dumb spelling
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Keeping on topic, I hope Bob Shipley is retained. One good thing Herman did was rebuild the walk-on program into something of a value-add. Shipley was crucial for that.

I 1000% agree with this. Shipley was one of the few initial hires that Herman got right. He is one of the most genuine/likable guys out there and would play a crucial role in helping Stark with TX High school coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Would be a big pull. Have to imagine Bama would offer significant raises to avoid losing 3 coaches (and thereby players/recruits) to Sark.

If it’s just Flood joining, that’s still a win

The reality is there is no one on the current staff that isn’t replaceable, even though some are really great coaches. Yeah I get players and fans wanting certain guys to stay, but there are so many coaches out there, and some that will work with Sark better than others. Additionally some of the coaches may not even want to stay. 

In many ways, the fresher the start the better as the rot in the program needs to be flushed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

The reality is there is no one on the current staff that isn’t replaceable, even though some are really great coaches. Yeah I get players and fans wanting certain guys to stay, but there are so many coaches out there, and some that will work with Sark better than others. Additionally some of the coaches may not even want to stay. 

In many ways, the fresher the start the better as the rot in the program needs to be flushed. 

What rot? In a normal year this is a 10-3 season. 3 offensive/defensive coordinators in 3 years is setting all our players up to fail. 

OKAY I know we have to now... I just don't like the idea of throwing away a great coaching staff for a bunch of unknowns just because the guy at the top is an asshole.

Edited by Gigglebush
  • Hook 'Em 1