Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Sark will be fired in 3/4 years. He’s garbage. Enjoy another decade of shit 

I will do my best. Rooting for shitty teams is generally what I do.

But this should be a bonanza for you. You know exactly how this is going to go so you should be able to make a fortune betting against Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can we retain some guys? Its really hard to imagine a staff that isn't a vast downgrade from Chris Ash/Yurcich. Both are elite. People are really rumoring us hiring Sumlin and Mike Stoops? Thompson and Bijan understand the offense and are good enough have this team setup for a conference run. The only thing that could have fucked it up was starting over after a 3 loss season.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
45 minutes ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:
My post #295 is no different than this post. I don't understand the difference RE: reaction.

Hey. Go fuck yourself.

Ah yes, the good ole #8

11 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

Can we retain some guys? Its really hard to imagine a staff that isn't a vast downgrade from Chris Ash/Yurcich. Both are elite. People are really rumoring us hiring Sumlin and Mike Stoops? Thompson and Bijan understand the offense and are good enough have this team setup for a conference run. The only thing that could have fucked it up was starting over after a 3 loss season.

I understand they may be good coaches but the whole you gotta keep someone else's coaches is very weird to me. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TXpride said:

He's changed, but not necessarily for the better:

Milwee

As Barkley would say, dude needs to "come home."

You can't tell me that a guy with that hairline, at that age, doesn't have a massive chip on his shoulder. Could be a regular "rolling ball of butcher knives".

CHIEF

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I find it hilarious everyone wanting to keep Ash, when those same people were shitting all over his hire a year ago. Let Sark pick whoever the fuck he wants, because he's not bringing his G5 boys with him.

Agree. Ash did a great job, but there are a lot of coaches out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

So since Sark is going to be busy with the national title game, I guess we will not be hearing much about the staff until next week.

I presume he at least tells the guys he is going to let go to get their resumes ready. As we hear about that we can start to piece together what it might look like.

Sark needs to hire a good to great staff and he cannot repeat the Charlie and Herman mistakes. When Charlie hired Watson I believe I posted he had put the first nail in the coffin before game one. Todd Orlando was a huge mistake in my view and it cost me negs. So I am laying down my marker again. Sarkisian needs to keep some staff for continuity. Probably Ash and staff plus Drayton just due to Bijan. Had Charlie kept Applewhite he may have learned some of what it took to maneuver in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

Sark needs to hire a good to great staff and he cannot repeat the Charlie and Herman mistakes. When Charlie hired Watson I believe I posted he had put the first nail in the coffin before game one. Todd Orlando was a huge mistake in my view and it cost me negs. So I am laying down my marker again. Sarkisian needs to keep some staff for continuity. Probably Ash and staff plus Drayton just due to Bijan. Had Charlie kept Applewhite he may have learned some of what it took to maneuver in Texas.

He’s gotta go beyond his Rolodex, to quote Scipio. CDC himself already said he’s excited about who Sark will bring with him, but as long as it’s not just his homies or people he happens to know then I think the odds of success go up. The benefit of working with Saban is you get to see what good looks like: good players, good personnel, good organizational systems. Comfort hires = bad. Non-comfort hires may be bad, too, of course—but not automatically bad like bringing dudes because you know them rather than because they can transfer their skills to Texas. 

37 minutes ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

He’s gotta go beyond his Rolodex, to quote Scipio. CDC himself already said he’s excited about who Sark will bring with him, but as long as it’s not just his homies or people he happens to know then I think the odds of success go up. The benefit of working with Saban is you get to see what good looks like: good players, good personnel, good organizational systems. Comfort hires = bad. Non-comfort hires may be bad, too, of course—but not automatically bad like bringing dudes because you know them rather than because they can transfer their skills to Texas. 

What Saban has isn’t something you get insight to by just being around him. He’s been doing mob shit in college football for almost 20 years with plenty of people to observer yet no perfect emulators. Shit, Muschamp who is being mentioned as a DC for Sark was with him almost 20 years ago and still hasn’t had it click. Saban is able to see something in assistants to know if they can contribute to a championship. I’m just not so sure any of his assistants will ever actually gaze something from him that will be the difference in them becoming a championship winning head coach. 

7 minutes ago, Truck Norris said:

What Saban has isn’t something you get insight to by just being around him. He’s been doing mob shit in college football for almost 20 years with plenty of people to observer yet no perfect emulators. Shit, Muschamp who is being mentioned as a DC for Sark was with him almost 20 years ago and still hasn’t had it click. Saban is able to see something in assistants to know if they can contribute to a championship. I’m just not so sure any of his assistants will ever actually gaze something from him that will be the difference in them becoming a championship winning head coach. 

image.gif.e1d070fe1caef8e62bf4b236cb61894f.gif

2 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

image.gif.e1d070fe1caef8e62bf4b236cb61894f.gif

Sark has it or he doesn’t. Finding a worthy head coach is a bitch! I don’t think it’s that hard to tell with guys on defense, so to keep things on topic, would be thrilled with Muschamp, but Ash definitely has the same look in his eyes you love to see from a DC. Either way I’m thrilled if it’s one of them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I understand they may be good coaches but the whole you gotta keep someone else's coaches is very weird to me. 

The whole seeing the defense under Ash and thinking “what this unit needs is Mike Stoops” thing is very weird to me.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

My concern regarding his hires are that any top notch assistant may have the same concerns we do, Sarks ability to stay sober. Leaving a stable place like Bama or other program for this situation may not be as appealing as we want to believe. I hope he can pull off some A+ hires but won’t be a bit surprised if we are underwhelmed.

I think this is a valid concern to some extent and may be a show stopper for some guys.  However I think most coaches go into these jobs knowing they will be there a short time regardless.  And coaching at Texas is still seen as something good to put on your bio.  Even Herman was able to get a pretty decent reboot staff with all the noise surrounding him.   Top of market money and 3 year deals should get him the staff he needs to do well.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

For coordinators, there will always be someone like Ash or Muschamp who failed at being a head coach.  Then  there's assistants looking for a job after their head coach got fired.  It's the willingness to hire good coaches you don't personally know that is important.  They will come for the money.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

My concern regarding his hires are that any top notch assistant may have the same concerns we do, Sarks ability to stay sober. Leaving a stable place like Bama or other program for this situation may not be as appealing as we want to believe. I hope he can pull off some A+ hires but won’t be a bit surprised if we are underwhelmed.

13 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think this is a valid concern to some extent and may be a show stopper for some guys.  However I think most coaches go into these jobs knowing they will be there a short time regardless.  And coaching at Texas is still seen as something good to put on your bio.  Even Herman was able to get a pretty decent reboot staff with all the noise surrounding him.   Top of market money and 3 year deals should get him the staff he needs to do well.   

I feel like there is absolutely no way his first staff will be as bad as Strong or Herman’s. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

So, I just listened to his press conference.  And while overall I found him likable and thought he said the right things, this line stuck with me as I thought I remembered him being the OC at USC during those years when they had Joe McKnight and like 5 other 5 star RBs that all split carries.

And he was.  And in both 2007 and 2008, USC didn’t have a 1,000 yard rusher. They ran the ball fine with a bunch of different guys, but that’s not what he said.  

For him to make that specific claim and clearly have it teed up as his canned answer - and for it to actually be completely false - is not the most encouraging thing in the world.   Not as bad as Herman melting down on the Houston radio show or hiring Casey Horny, but still a bit of an eyebrow raiser for me to be honest.  

1. Take that discussion. To a thread that isn't about staff hires.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

One of the best things about Sark is that his rolodex is fucking stacked. Especially on offense. The most likely new blood in terms of working with him would be Drayton and Muschamp.

• Hook 'Em 2