Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So Tosh is coming as DC?  Because an hour ago TFB was telling us that the smart money was Tosh being a part of Sark's staff here at Texas.

Tosh as DC doesn't excite me a whole lot.

Derrick Ansley as DB coach is intriguing.

I took it more as them back pedaling on their initial stance, just like they’re now doing with Bryce Young. I can’t imagine Lupoi would get hired as the actual DC. Maybe co-DC title and a seven figure salary but that’s it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Have any of Sark's coaching staff been officially announced, or are we still in speculation mode?

Nothing official though IT have reported Drayton is 'expected to stay' - they said 'expected' because it is possible that Drayton could choose to leave.  But Sark has apparently decided to keep him on staff if he wants to stay.

Burton said that Milwee will turn down the OC job at Arkansas St. and will follow Sark to Texas.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

didn't he say he wouldn't be doing any interviews until he got to Austin?

He said he would balance his time working on both. But honestly, at this point there's not a lot to work on with the Alabama offense. Just keep doing what you've been doing. 

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Sark will hopefully put together a solid staff. We have learned thru bitter experience that those hires (and other shit) can break u. I’m still whelmed but happy TH is gone. Sark has my support. Hook’em🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance-3448

23 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I am a fan of that list

You just have to go way down it before you find someone that he recruited since he’s been at Tennessee. He’s definitely gettable, his contract is up, and there is friction with him and Pruitt. He and Jay Graham were the only coaches to agree to Covid-related pay reductions for the staff this year, when all the other coaches didn’t. Then it got leaked to the press and it was a moderate kerfuffle in Knoxville. People think Tee was the leaker. His recruiting rep has fallen off, not sure if he no longer has the drive for it (I don’t blame him), but maybe he would benefit from moving to Austin where he would have a better chance of pulling players from SoCal than he could to Knoxville. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Valai sucks. Our cornerback play was bad this year even late in the season. 

if you have a chance to hire Raymond then you can Valai yesterday. 

Someone gets it. Same with Giles. He had some good recruiting, but the 4 man rush never materialized.

42 minutes ago, RichUT said:

You give Tosh a position group (DL), some sort of elevated title, and plenty of cash. If he says yes, great. If he insists on being the DC, then we need to move on.

This is correct.  The need to have a bagman does not outweigh the need to coordinate the defense.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So Tosh is coming as DC?  Because an hour ago TFB was telling us that the smart money was Tosh being a part of Sark's staff here at Texas.

Tosh as DC doesn't excite me a whole lot.

Derrick Ansley as DB coach is intriguing.

Tosh as the DC scares me, would he be able to manage the wide open offenses of the Big 12. His 2018 defense was shredded by Clemson and a freshmen QB. He would face similar offenses, though not the skill level, on a weekly basis in the Big 12.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

The wanting to hire Stoops thing was a massive red flag and screamed of the kind of cronyism that plagued the last two coaches, but I’m glad he was talked out of it. 

Do we know if he was legitimately looking at stoops, or was he or stoops floating stoops’s name to get other schools to show interest? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Source didn’t have a definitive answer but said he believes if Tosh were to take a position at Texas he would “bet” it would be as a DC.

Tosh wasn't great as a DC for Bama and was replaced. Have to imagine that's well known by Sark.

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Sark has better buddies.  Strong really didnt have many connections. Herman's were unproven and turned out to be very weak coaches, as compared to other power 5 programs of our caliber.

Pretty sure herman went the yes man route.  Some leaders don’t want to hire people that could threaten them 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Pretty sure herman went the yes man route.  Some leaders don’t want to hire people that could threaten them 

I mentioned this on another thread - but there is a world of difference between Herman's experience and Sark's.  I don't think it was as much Herman hired 'yes men' as much as Herman just didn't have very many years at big time college football programs.  His 3 years at Ohio St were really the only experience he had - and of the contacts he had there that were available - he took them.  I don't think he had the maturity or confidence to hire established people outside of his 'bubble'.

Herman climbed the ladder at smaller less prestigious schools -  moving from SHSU, Rice, Texas State, and on to Iowa State before Ohio State.

Sark on the other hand has worked at and excelled at big time programs from Day 1.  USC, Washington, Alabama, and in the NFL.   His rolodex is filled with bigger names with more experience.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, maninblack said:

On a hire like Tosh, at his salary, it'd require some title shenanigans. A redemption shot at actually being the cook doesn't seem like a risk I'd take if I was Sark. 

Had to wiki because I couldn't remember Tosh's resume.  But, yeah, I'm not handing the defense to a guy who has all of one year experience as a DC - I don't care how good a recruiter he is.  Its one thing for defensive mastermind Saban to do that - its quite another when the HC is the OC/offensive mastermind who will likely have little input in the running of the defense.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I mentioned this on another thread - but there is a world of difference between Herman's experience and Sark's.  I don't think it was as much Herman hired 'yes men' as much as Herman just didn't have very many years at big time college football programs.  His 3 years were really the only experience he had - and of the contacts he had there that were available - he took them.  I don't think he had the maturity or confidence to hire established people outside of his 'bubble'.

Herman climbed the ladder at smaller less prestigious schools -  moving from SHSU, Rice, Texas State, and on to Iowa State before Ohio State.

Sark on the other hand has worked at and excelled at big time programs from Day 1.  USC, Washington, Alabama, and in the NFL.   His rolodex is filled with bigger names with more experience.

This is what has me more excited about this hire than I was initially.

28 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I can’t imagine a scenario where Tosh is the sole DC. Co-DC title without play calling responsibility seems much more likely and I hope it happens 

At this point they should have Co OC and DCs just to get those guys more money

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Had to wiki because I couldn't remember Tosh's resume.  But, yeah, I'm not handing the defense to a guy who has all of one year experience as a DC - I don't care how good a recruiter he is.  Its one thing for defensive mastermind Saban to do that - its quite another when the HC is the OC/offensive mastermind who will likely have little input in the running of the defense.

Not only that, his one year as a DC was not a good one. Saban jettisoned him after that. Fine to give him a token "co" title but absolutely don't hand him the keys.

And Hutzler already has the co title so you'd have to strip that if he stayed. I'd be good with Hutzler tbh assuming some of these other stud recruiters come true.

Also, he may not be so picky when he's out of a job in a few days

Edited by Tex-19

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sure but the counterpoint is that Saban looked at Wiggins time at Memphis/VT and decided it was worthy of being on the best staff in the country, and it doesn’t seem like he’s done anything to change that in the last two years. 

Im in wait and see mode on Sark’s overall hires. He has an insanely good network of coaches, but I do hope he goes outside that some. The wanting to hire Stoops thing was a massive red flag and screamed of the kind of cronyism that plagued the last two coaches, but I’m glad he was talked out of it. I need to see who else he targets before I can have more of an opinion on it. 

I don’t think the Stoops thing came directly from Stark. Conjecture based on who available is in his circle at Bama.

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

TFB 

I’m waiting for confirmation on this but have no reason to doubt it. RB is exactly one of the positions you can easily retain. From here on out it’ll be much more difficult.

***I did ask a source close to Bryce Young about whether Bryce Young would follow Sark to Texas. Source said he did not believe it was likely especially if Mac leaves. But I’m going to speak to a second source before I shut the door on the possibility.

***Also, spoke to a source in the know on things NFL who also happens to have ties Tosh Lupoi. Source didn’t have a definitive answer but said he believes if Tosh were to take a position at Texas he would “bet” it would be as a DC.

***As I mentioned in the comments section on the previous post, the issue with retaining Ash is you may have a much more difficult time getting Saban guys.

***Tosh was the Alabama DC and is now coaching in the league. I could be wrong but unless he’s just itching to spend his offseason recruiting, then why come back to be a position coach under a DC you’ve never worked with under a defense that ranked 7th in in total yards per game in the Big 12 and last in passing yards per game. Just doesn’t seem like a good gamble considering he was Alabama’s DC only two years ago.

***I haven’t formally heard he’s a candidate but I did speak to a media partner we work with in the Tennessee market and he told me that Tennessee’s DC, Derrick Ansley wants out at Tennessee (as I’m sure others do). As you may know, Ansley coached with Tosh and Sark at Alabama. Ansley was the secondary coach. Just based on the connection to Sark and Tosh, it would make more sense to me to imagine a combination of Tosh and Ansley. But that is just an opinion. I have reached out to someone close to Ansley to see if there has been any contact. If I get something substantive, I’ll pass that along.

Thanks for the post.  Everything you’ve posted here makes sense to me.

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

At this point they should have Co OC and DCs just to get those guys more money

Why do titles matter?  We can't pay the towel boy $1MM if we want?

Edited by WBT