Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

A post like the above from Not a Sock seems to be more about poster posturing than reality. It's not hopelessly idealistic or stupidly optimistic to not embrace outright, wholesale flushing of ethical standards. 

"I just want to win and I don't care how" will ruin this game for me. You have the NFL, leave college football alone. Sure, it's dirty, but that doesn't mean you have to just drown it in shit. If it makes you feel manlier than me to call anyone who disagrees with you a pearl clutcher...well, just fuck the hell off, bitch.

Well you better find a new sport then, because the shit in the pipe with player likeness, transfer portal, and NLI changes are coming, bag men, under the table dealings and perks are the name of the game now. The days of DKR are long gone, we live in the post Saban era, there is no winning cleanly only losing cleanly.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Holman Wiggins would be a lazy hire and speaks to Sark not understanding the Texas job. No one that was with Fuente for 9 years should be considered. This would be the definition of a comfort hire. Couple him with keeping Drayton and you have a very underwhelming offensive staff with no elite teacher or recruiter in either the RB or WR spots. 

Can you expand on that?

What he did with Smith, the hurt guy, plus the guys from last year would make him seem like a pretty good coach. 

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

A post like the above from Not a Sock seems to be more about poster posturing than reality. It's not hopelessly idealistic or stupidly optimistic to not embrace outright, wholesale flushing of ethical standards. 

"I just want to win and I don't care how" will ruin this game for me. You have the NFL, leave college football alone. Sure, it's dirty, but that doesn't mean you have to just drown it in shit. If it makes you feel manlier than me to call anyone who disagrees with you a pearl clutcher...well, just fuck the hell off, bitch.

Bama and Saban disciples have already turned the NCAA into semi-pro. With the rules changes on likeness, I think we have a pretty limited time to embrace and enjoy the new normal. At some point in the future, academics and sports will be totally separate entities.

• Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In for 1000

That was supposed to be post 1,000 but if Tosh be passing out bags I’m in to toss in $1000  

If we are going to do this sanctioned cheating thing I think Shaggy ought to pick a recruit every year to buy.  I feel like it would be worth it collectively to this board and within our means to give the next Waddle like 200k  

Yes, let’s make these kids literally owe message board fans. No way that turns out bad. 

we’re well past going aggy guys. 

8 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Well you better find a new sport then, because the shit in the pipe with player likeness, transfer portal, and NLI changes are coming, bag men, under the table dealings and perks are the name of the game now. The days of DKR are long gone, we live in the post Saban era, there is no winning cleanly only losing cleanly.

[Written before reading the warning. Please remove if you think appropriate. It is a wormhole even if it has been brought up regarding what the new staff will bring.]

It will be thanks to dull minded sports pundits declaring College was already pro, a cowardly NCAA, and powerful schools built on cheating getting away with corrupting the process. The saddest thing about the decline of college football which you predict (and may very well be right about) is that it is being cheered on by so many people.

We're a stupid nation. Some of that is due to turning everything into the NFL. Win at all costs. That's a rule for war or survival not an amateur game.

Now, I have some pearls to clutch while the manlier types retire to their man caves and decide who gets to keep their man cards. What could be more manful than all of that?

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Fuck You 2

I’m just saying that taking in his two year stint at Alabama and ignoring his 9 years of being on the most toxic staff in college football is simply not doing due diligence. I think there are A LOT of WR coaches that are great teachers or killer recruiters and that avoiding toxicity is paramount in building a new culture. 

if you ignore his work at Bama and think his work at Memphis/VaTech makes him worthy of being on staff at Texas - that’s the decision. Just like the previous Saban and Bellichek cast-offs - make their case from their work outside the bubble of those perfected cultures. To me it seems like a comfort hire at a spot that has plenty of comparable options without the toxic bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

There isn’t a ton out there on him, so not sure how anyone would have a well informed opinion on the guy. I did find this paid content link that includes a summary of strengths and weaknesses before the paywall:

https://tdalabamamag.com/2020/07/09/grading-alabamas-assistant-coaches-from-2019-season-holmon-wiggins/

HOLMON WIGGINS
Position: WR’s coach

Years of experience: 8

Time spent at Alabama: One year

Strengths: Speed, route running, hands, technique, distribution of big plays

Weaknesses: Recruiting

So it’s possible that he’s stronger as a teacher than he is as a recruiter. You need a balance of both on any elite staff. If we’re feeling good about recruiters based on Tosh, Raymond, etc then I can see where Wiggins would make a lot of sense if he excels at teaching the position.

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

It will be thanks to dull minded sports pundits declaring College was already pro, a cowardly NCAA, and powerful schools built on cheating getting away with corrupting the process. The saddest thing about the decline of college football which you predict (and may very well be right about) is that it is being cheered on by so many people.

We're a stupid nation. Some of that is due to turning everything into the NFL. Win at all costs. That's a rule for war or survival not an amateur game.

Now, I have some pearls to clutch while the manlier types retire to their man caves and decide who gets to keep their man cards. What could be more manful than all of that?

Division 2 and 3 still exist. But at the top level, this was the logical escalation when you consider how much money is involved. It has grown and the only way to keep it sustainable is to allow money to make it work. 

26 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

F me, didn't mean downvote this post. Damn mobile

• Like 1

I’m just saying that taking in his two year stint at Alabama and ignoring his 9 years of being on the most toxic staff in college football is simply not doing due diligence. I think there are A LOT of WR coaches that are great teachers or killer recruiters and that avoiding toxicity is paramount in building a new culture. 
if you ignore his work at Bama and think his work at Memphis/VaTech makes him worthy of being on staff at Texas - that’s the decision. Just like the previous Saban and Bellichek cast-offs - make their case from their work outside the bubble of those perfected cultures. To me it seems like a comfort hire at a spot that has plenty of comparable options without the toxic bullshit. 

A bit of a lazy take that has a healthy dose of anti-Fuente bias to it. I don’t like to paint with broad strokes like that. If Sark has worked with this guy daily for two years and believes he fits with his vision for an elite staff, that outweighs any uninformed assumptions based on previous professional associations.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Wanting to be the last major school who desperately props up a system where administrators make millions while refusing to pay adults their value while they endure physical punishment and risk potential injury for your entertainment on fall Saturdays doesn't make you the ethical one.

Quite the opposite, actually. 

Great post

1 minute ago, RichUT said:

A bit of a lazy take that has a healthy dose of anti-Fuente bias to it. I don’t like to paint with broad strokes like that. If Sark has worked with this guy daily for two years and believes he fits with his vision for an elite staff, that outweighs any uninformed assumptions based on previous professional associations.

I mean, I'm not going to give Sark a free pass on that line of reasoning. Stoops would have a been an "oh shit we hired another potato" moment. But Wiggins seems to have some promising lines on the resume.

2 minutes ago, RichUT said:

So trust Jimb...er...sark?

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is moffitt still at LSU?  If LSU is really a free for all, we should inquire. 

I have some pretty strong sources on Moffitt. His wife is from BR and the only place they’d ever consider leaving for would have been Texas back when Will was HCIW. The wives and coaches are best friends. No Muschamp means no Moffitt. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Sure but the counterpoint is that Saban looked at Wiggins time at Memphis/VT and decided it was worthy of being on the best staff in the country, and it doesn’t seem like he’s done anything to change that in the last two years. 

Im in wait and see mode on Sark’s overall hires. He has an insanely good network of coaches, but I do hope he goes outside that some. The wanting to hire Stoops thing was a massive red flag and screamed of the kind of cronyism that plagued the last two coaches, but I’m glad he was talked out of it. I need to see who else he targets before I can have more of an opinion on it. 

TFB 

I’m waiting for confirmation on this but have no reason to doubt it. RB is exactly one of the positions you can easily retain. From here on out it’ll be much more difficult.

***I did ask a source close to Bryce Young about whether Bryce Young would follow Sark to Texas. Source said he did not believe it was likely especially if Mac leaves. But I’m going to speak to a second source before I shut the door on the possibility.

***Also, spoke to a source in the know on things NFL who also happens to have ties Tosh Lupoi. Source didn’t have a definitive answer but said he believes if Tosh were to take a position at Texas he would “bet” it would be as a DC.

***As I mentioned in the comments section on the previous post, the issue with retaining Ash is you may have a much more difficult time getting Saban guys.

***Tosh was the Alabama DC and is now coaching in the league. I could be wrong but unless he’s just itching to spend his offseason recruiting, then why come back to be a position coach under a DC you’ve never worked with under a defense that ranked 7th in in total yards per game in the Big 12 and last in passing yards per game. Just doesn’t seem like a good gamble considering he was Alabama’s DC only two years ago.

***I haven’t formally heard he’s a candidate but I did speak to a media partner we work with in the Tennessee market and he told me that Tennessee’s DC, Derrick Ansley wants out at Tennessee (as I’m sure others do). As you may know, Ansley coached with Tosh and Sark at Alabama. Ansley was the secondary coach. Just based on the connection to Sark and Tosh, it would make more sense to me to imagine a combination of Tosh and Ansley. But that is just an opinion. I have reached out to someone close to Ansley to see if there has been any contact. If I get something substantive, I’ll pass that along.

• Hook 'Em 1

So trust Jimb...er...sark?

Doesn’t every hire he makes require some level of trust that it’s a good hire? Nobody really loved the Ash hire, but now many would be completely on board with Sark retaining him. Wiggins career trajectory seems to track, and it’s clear (based on the output of Bama’s WR’s) that Wiggins and Sark work well together. I get that everyone’s a critic, but I am not seeing anything in his background that suggests cronyism if he is the guy that gets the job.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Cool

Maybe it's the case of a good coach having a shitty boss? It happens. Was he causing any problems? So he gets to Bama and is able to flourish. Or he could be riding the Saban train like so many others. Him and Sark. Never heard of the guy before this thread.

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB 

I’m waiting for confirmation on this but have no reason to doubt it. RB is exactly one of the positions you can easily retain. From here on out it’ll be much more difficult.

***I did ask a source close to Bryce Young about whether Bryce Young would follow Sark to Texas. Source said he did not believe it was likely especially if Mac leaves. But I’m going to speak to a second source before I shut the door on the possibility.

***Also, spoke to a source in the know on things NFL who also happens to have ties Tosh Lupoi. Source didn’t have a definitive answer but said he believes if Tosh were to take a position at Texas he would “bet” it would be as a DC.

***As I mentioned in the comments section on the previous post, the issue with retaining Ash is you may have a much more difficult time getting Saban guys.

***Tosh was the Alabama DC and is now coaching in the league. I could be wrong but unless he’s just itching to spend his offseason recruiting, then why come back to be a position coach under a DC you’ve never worked with under a defense that ranked 7th in in total yards per game in the Big 12 and last in passing yards per game. Just doesn’t seem like a good gamble considering he was Alabama’s DC only two years ago.

***I haven’t formally heard he’s a candidate but I did speak to a media partner we work with in the Tennessee market and he told me that Tennessee’s DC, Derrick Ansley wants out at Tennessee (as I’m sure others do). As you may know, Ansley coached with Tosh and Sark at Alabama. Ansley was the secondary coach. Just based on the connection to Sark and Tosh, it would make more sense to me to imagine a combination of Tosh and Ansley. But that is just an opinion. I have reached out to someone close to Ansley to see if there has been any contact. If I get something substantive, I’ll pass that along.

So Tosh is coming as DC?  Because an hour ago TFB was telling us that the smart money was Tosh being a part of Sark's staff here at Texas.

Tosh as DC doesn't excite me a whole lot.

Derrick Ansley as DB coach is intriguing.

26 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Holman Wiggins would be a lazy hire and speaks to Sark not understanding the Texas job. No one that was with Fuente for 9 years should be considered. This would be the definition of a comfort hire. Couple him with keeping Drayton and you have a very underwhelming offensive staff with no elite teacher or recruiter in either the RB or WR spots. 

Sorry, wasn't trying to down vote, as you have the right to ur opinion, but this is an overreaction. If someone can takeaway that down vote, damn mobile.

You can say what you want about Drayton's recruiting but he has the best resume, on the field, of any college running backs coach in America.  A combination of development from star running backs to no name running backs. He's done it at schools from all regions of the country. He also developed a somewhat no-name while in the NFL. He's done an excellent job with our running backs while here. No one can do anything with a fat ass whiner like Chris Warren. No one can blame him for the rotation, either. That's on Tom Herman.

Don't know anything about the Bama receiver's coach, and will take a wait and see approach there, but Fuente was pretty good at Memphis, all things considered. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So Tosh is coming as DC?  Because an hour ago TFB was telling us that the smart money was Tosh being a part of Sark's staff here at Texas.

Maybe Tosh as part of a Co-DC team? Idk, I’d sure like to keep Ash if not Muschamp

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That's my concern with Tosh as DC trying to defend high octane offense.  Is he any good in scheming and development of fundamentals?

Sorry, wasn't trying to down vote, as you have the right to ur opinion, but this is an overreaction. If someone can takeaway that down vote, damn mobile.
You can say what you want about Drayton's recruiting but he has the best resume, on the field, of any college running backs coach in America.  A combination of development from star running backs to no name running backs. He's done it at schools from all regions of the country. He also developed a somewhat no-name while in the NFL. He's done an excellent job with our running backs while here. No one can do anything with a fat ass whiner like Chris Warren. No one can blame him for the rotation, either. That's on Tom Herman.
Don't know anything about the Bama receiver's coach, and will take a wait and see approach there, but Fuente was pretty good at Memphis, all things considered. 

We already told you that you can remove the downvote even on a “mobile.”
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Kurt Bowels said:

Downvote?  This isn't reddit.

Negged for incompetence. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, taybo20 said:

Had enough of you telling me about urban honestly. You never listened to reason in the urban thread.  Regardless, I’m not saying that they should all be gone. Some may stay. My point is that the best option available should win out.

GIF-OK-okay-Cheryl-Cole-GIF.gif

• Drool 1