2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

Steve Sarkisian officially announced the hires of nine assistant coaches and a director of football performance on Friday, with the tenth assistant reportedly going to a FCS head coach. With his staff almost complete, Sarkisian now looks to add players to his roster with the February signing day rapidly approaching.

February 3 is when unsigned prospects can put their signatures on letters of intent, and Sarkisian told the media Friday he has eight available scholarships to work with.

“Every staff is different in what they want their roster management to look like from a specific numbers by position,” Sarkisian said. “I think the one thing we have to fight is just to fill numbers to fill numbers. We want to make sure we’re taking the best people, the best players at this point.”

Sarkisian previously told alumni and fans over Zoom that the numbers at defensive end were lower than he would have preferred. As a result, Sarkisian and defensive line coach Bo Davis added LSU graduate transfer Ray Thornton to the roster.

“It’s just something we felt like we needed,” Sarkisian said of the addition. “Obviously, we had an early departure for the NFL draft, we’ve had some defection from transfers, we’ve had injuries. Every position is different.”

Eight spots remain. Previous head coach Tom Herman listed what he believed the 2021class needed to add between the December signing period and the second signing day.

It’s no longer up to Herman. Sarkisian explained how he might fill those needs Friday and included any available option.

“I think for us it’ll be probably a combination of taking signees here at the beginning of February, maybe taking a guy or two or three out of the portal, and potentially even saving a spot or two for down the road,” Sarkisian said. “There are some key components to it, but it’s more about just making sure we are fitting the needs that we think are prevalent on our roster now based off of the kids we just signed in December, as well as what’s on our current roster.”

Texas currently has 18 players signed in the 2021 class, with two unsigned commits in cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem and wide receiver Keithron Lee. The Longhorns also added McNeese State transfer Darion Dunn at cornerback in December.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

JFC, that run against West Virginia (midway through the video)... spin move to leave one guy within arms length grabbing air, accelerates to outrun two other guys who run into each other and drives two other MFers faces into the dirt with stiff arms; second guy got straight up abused.   

So  many guys flashed greatness and it didn't work out.  This guy's the real deal.  Those are some eye popping highlights from a very small sample of carries.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We’ve had some all word 5 star rbs show up the last decade. But this is the first one to look like it. I want to be mad as fuck at TH criminal misuse. But our O line was shit with shit play calling he’s gonna be fresh strong and fucking shit up the next 2 years hopefully. If he continued to average 17 yards a carry. Hei5man lol 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Lhorn said:

JFC, that run against West Virginia (midway through the video)... spin move to leave one guy within arms length grabbing air, accelerates to outrun two other guys who run into each other and drives two other MFers faces into the dirt with stiff arms; second guy got straight up abused.   

So  many guys flashed greatness and it didn't work out.  This guy's the real deal.  Those are some eye popping highlights from a very small sample of carries.  

And it would have been an 80 yard TD, probably the longest run of the year, had the refs not seen him "step out of bounds".  DMO even said something like the refs messed up on that play.

Edited by Hmmm

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We’ve had some all word 5 star rbs show up the last decade. But this is the first one to look like it. I want to be mad as fuck at TH criminal misuse. But our O line was shit with shit play calling he’s gonna be fresh strong and fucking shit up the next 2 years hopefully. If he continued to average 17 yards a carry. Hei5man lol 

I imagine Bijan and the coaching staff had an understanding about a carry count on him his freshman year (and maybe all 3 years).   If you are a stud running back, you can absolutely not allow yourself to be used up for free (more or less) in college.    Just the way it is now.   That's why you see RBs have no problem splitting carries anymore.   They are just trying to make it to the 2nd contract in the NFL before the wheels fall off.

• Like 1

I imagine Bijan and the coaching staff had an understanding about a carry count on him his freshman year (and maybe all 3 years).   If you are a stud running back, you can absolutely not allow yourself to be used up for free (more or less) in college.    Just the way it is now.   That's why you see RBs have no problem splitting carries anymore.   They are just trying to make it to the 2nd contract in the NFL before the wheels fall off.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

the craziest thing is our best olineman opts out and then we start running to his side

1 hour ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I don't know about an understanding but Bama and Georgia running backs seem to have no problem splitting carries and seems to work pretty damn good