87th Texas Legislature

StassneyHorn

19 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

While I did not move out of Texas because of politics, I am certainly staying the hell away.  The abortion bill was the last straw for me.  Texas GOP, relegating women to second class citizens.  Fuck every single one of them.

This this this.  I see no reason to move back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This this this.  I see no reason to move back. 

I mean, I am no Cuomo fan, and I hate Bill de Blasio, but they are light years better than any members of the Texas GOP, even Cuomo who is definitely problematic.  He may like to harrass women, but he isn't actively trying to take away their rights and make them second class citizens.  To be clear, he should resign.  No question about it, for the nursing home shit alone.  But I would rather have him than Abbott or Patrick any day and twice on Sunday.  Texas leadership is a fucking joke.  

It is also so fucking sad that the Texas democratic party is so fucking inept.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You're right, that's more of a third date/fourth sexual-assault kind of agenda.  

I would laugh if the situation in Texas weren't so infuriating.  I think men don't really understand, or frankly care, about what this can do to women in the state of Texas.  Or any state.  It is infuriating.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I would laugh if the situation in Texas weren't so infuriating.  I think men don't really understand, or frankly care, about what this can do to women in the state of Texas.  Or any state.  It is infuriating.

Not only that. The law criminalizes the actions of those perceived to be facilitating an abortion. If you drive a woman to the clinic, you’re guilty.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

Not only that. The law criminalizes the actions of those perceived to be facilitating an abortion. If you drive a woman to the clinic, you’re guilty.

tx leg #89 - thinking about an abortion is punishable by death 

• Rage+1 1

Guest Lobo

I understand your frustration Penelope, just wanted to get a jab in on Cuomo.  The six week abortion ban is just bafflingly surreal to me.  

They can easily preserve some of the more demented aspects of their agenda without being so cruel to women.  At this point, there is some celebratory granularity about it all to folks like Dan Patrick and the Baptists. 

After one of our multiple miscarriages, when the nurse was writing up the D&C paperwork, I asked her to make some notation about our situation---that it was a D&C but because of our age, risk profile, and another lost fetus.  She said there was nowhere to put that, it was all just standard coding.  I couldn't help myself, I told her, "One day these records of this place will be pulled and I want some way to make sure my wife is on the list of people who had no choice after a miscarriage but to accelerate the process and try again.  She assured me that they didn't discriminate between elective abortions and D&C post-miscarriage procedures.  I had to assure her in so many words, "I know it doesn't matter here.  But the difference will matter very much to the people who sit in a room talking about what does go on in places like this.  I know...because I was there."    

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I understand your frustration Penelope, just wanted to get a jab in on Cuomo.  The six week abortion ban is just bafflingly surreal to me.  

They can easily preserve some of the more demented aspects of their agenda without being so cruel to women.  At this point, there is some celebratory granularity about it all to folks like Dan Patrick and the Baptists. 

After one of our multiple miscarriages, when the nurse was writing up the D&C paperwork, I asked her to make some notation about our situation---that it was a D&C but because of our age, risk profile, and another lost fetus.  She said there was nowhere to put that, it was all just standard coding.  I couldn't help myself, I told her, "One day these records of this place will be pulled and I want some way to make sure my wife is on the list of people who had no choice after a miscarriage but to accelerate the process and try again.  She assured me that they didn't discriminate between elective abortions and D&C post-miscarriage procedures.  I had to assure her in so many words, "I know it doesn't matter here.  But the difference will matter very much to the people who sit in a room talking about what does go on in places like this.  I know...because I was there."    

As I said, dig at Cuomo is definitely warranted.  

The issue is, it shouldn't matter whether it was a choice or not.  NO ONE should make any fucking distinction in any paperwork.  It is no one's business but the woman (and her partner/spouse if they are in the picture and involved) and her doctor.  It shouldn't be talked about by a bunch of old white men in a fucking room in Austin.  Fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Guest Lobo

There shouldn't be any distinction.  I agree.  But there will be.  And it will get more vivid and judgmental.  I don't want my two daughters growing up in shit like this.  

But my hands are tied, the bible is very clear about coding for medical procedures.  Why do you think we write chapter and verse like that?  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

There shouldn't be any distinction.  I agree.  But there will be.  And it will get more vivid and judgmental.  I don't want my two daughters growing up in shit like this.  

But my hands are tied, the bible is very clear about coding for medical procedures.  Why do you think we write chapter and verse like that?  

Then fight the good fight.  I seriously think a lot of this shit is about to blowback on the GOP big time.  I think the games they are playing with voting right now will make more people more determined to get out.  I know people that were old school GOP voters who in 2018 went all Democrat, even with Lupe Valdez running for Governor (what a shit candidate she was!).  I went Democrat with the exception of Governor and Harris County Judge (I had a lot of respect for Ed Emmett post Harvey, though Lina has surprised me).  I regret that vote for Greg Abbott now.  I would not be shocked to see more people who abandon the GOP.  

• Hook 'Em 1

SB 7 is all common sense stuff.

Those bitching and complaining about the voting rules, are just people looking for reasons to bitch and complain.

These are all rules, that should have been in place, all along.

FWIW, I’m as Independent, as Independent can get.....so, I have no bias in this game.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 23

3 minutes ago, former alkie said:

Those bitching and complaining about the voting rules, are just people looking for reasons to bitch and complain.

FWIW, I’m as Independent, as Independent can get.....so, I have no bias in this game.

Is this TTOM?  Bullshit you are an independent.

• Hook 'Em 7

Guest Lobo
20 minutes ago, former alkie said:

You would've been an absolute hoot at Nuremberg.  

29 minutes ago, former alkie said:

We don’t need laws to regulate common sense. This is all about voter suppression and you have to be a complete mouthbreathing moron to not see that since it’s as clear as day.

Edited by JimmyJames

30 minutes ago, former alkie said:

I think you need to start drinking again. Might help. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, former alkie said:

allowing a judge to overturn an election without proof of fraud is common sense?

drink more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Troll. Correction... lying troll.

Hey don’t forget - Senate voted on stuff all night long after changing the rules, but it’s not good enough for Texas voters (especially in Harris County)

Dems going to fight though. Gotta take a stand - whatever else dies has to die

• Hook 'Em 1

Also SB7 is so common sense, Texas Republican Party is against it bc it makes the TRP chair elected via primary.  One of the things the Senate added in with no outside input or hearings 

Guest Lobo
6 minutes ago, Satchel said:

They voted to winterize the grid but left the due date open ended.

Well yeah, we're gonna go at night. 

5 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

House Dems are breaking quorum to kill the elections bill

Abbott is calling a special for the elections bill and bail reform since it’ll die with them quorum break 

The special will be a shit show but big props to Dems for standing ground tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t really know what happened tonight, but if texas Dems actually stopped or at least delayed anti-American, anti-democratic shit from going down, the fucking federal Dems need to take note and copy that shit and ramp it the fuck up. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I don’t really know what happened tonight, but if texas Dems actually stopped or at least delayed anti-American, anti-democratic shit from going down, the fucking federal Dems need to take note and copy that shit and ramp it the fuck up. 

SB7 is dead but something of its ilk will definitely be resurrected in a special session and some version of it will unfortunately pass. Because Republicans have no interest in a republican form of government.

5 hours ago, former alkie said:

Well I don’t know about anything much, but I can read your post and know you are a liar. Worth a neg and an ignore in the very first post that I ever registered your user name. Impressive work!

8 hours ago, DanRydell said:

SB7 is dead but something of its ilk will definitely be resurrected in a special session and some version of it will unfortunately pass. Because Republicans have no interest in a republican form of government.

This just gives them more time to add a provision that eliminates early voting. 

16 hours ago, former alkie said:

I truly don't understand why I keep getting ripped over my post.

I just did a poor job, of actually saying what I really meant......just think they need to simplify, what should be an easy voting process:

- have an Election Day, with polls open from 5a - 8p 

- being early voting, 2 weeks prior, same hours, 7 days per week

**  and no, you should NOT have to vote, at the polling location in your precinct....but voting should be done, AT a polling location......and drive-thru voting is the height of all laziness

- for those that are bed-ridden, or are hospitalized, etc.....they can request mail-in ballots

Good grief...people want to make things so complicated, when it doesn't need to be...jeez

That's not an easy voting process for most blacks, Mexicans and poor folks. Don't call people lazy when you have no idea what they go through day to day. A huge amount of people can't get even 30 minutes off their job without getting fired. And/or have no means to get to any polling place regardless of district.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, former alkie said:

I truly don't understand why I keep getting ripped over my post.

I just did a poor job, of actually saying what I really meant......just think they need to simplify, what should be an easy voting process:

- have an Election Day, with polls open from 5a - 8p 

- being early voting, 2 weeks prior, same hours, 7 days per week

**  and no, you should NOT have to vote, at the polling location in your precinct....but voting should be done, AT a polling location......and drive-thru voting is the height of all laziness

- for those that are bed-ridden, or are hospitalized, etc.....they can request mail-in ballots

Good grief...people want to make things so complicated, when it doesn't need to be...jeez

you should be able to vote on your fucking phone while on the shitter. we have the technology. if it was truly about security and ensuring the right to vote, then requiring people to show up in is no way achieving that goal. Drive-through and mail-in voting is the LEAST we should be doing. Automatic registration for every citizen when they turn 18 is right up there. we should make it as easy possible to vote. if you think SB7 is making anything easier you're fucking delusional... or just fucking stupid. It really doesn't matter which

lol at drive through voting being “lazy”.

My ass would rather sit in my car and listen to a podcast or something rather than crammed up against the mouth breathing morons.

And there should be some designated polling locations that are open 24 hours for people who work odd hours.

And automatic voting registration and same day registration.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

Somehow Oregon and Colorado have had full mail in voting with no issues for over a decade. I think we can figure out how to make it easy to vote here. 

Also noted liberal paradise Utah

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2