Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

It's not, just the guys behind the edges were horrible too. Schooler was killed in space against Vaughn, just like he was all season.

No shit? You mean a five foot five 150 pounder beats a dude in space.

Go find me anybody in college that he can’t do that to consistently. That’s his game and he’s freaking D3 if he can’t.

You’re expectations of our dudes are to perform freakin magic that no one in college football does.

He’s not Bijan largely cause he lacks the size power. And we’d expect to Bijan to beat a guy in space every time.

no, on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 we actually got stops, something we haven't done all year. Brock is a crock of shit

You inspired me to rewatch both those sequences.

Coburn was involved in two plays. With Ojomo on one. And Ovie on the other. Richardson and Ojomo made the other plays. And actually Coburn was 3 yards deep on one he didn’t make.

We do have a heavy short yardage run D. We’ve run it several games. We did it twice here. Our standard LBers didn’t play in it today and they haven’t before.

KState was dumb to run heavy with the smallest D1 RB in the country. Then Coburn played like an All American.

I am talking about his play, you want to make this about PK. Hard to say what works, when you see a player play undisciplined more times than not. Broughton isn’t throwing anyone around at this point in his development. Collins has been at DE for quite awhile and his play is very inconsistent 

He’s running around guys because he’s giving up 60-80lbs.

Saw Broughton flash in pass rush where he threw a guy off (Baylor game?) and then promptly benched.

Collins is playing all over the place. His lack of development is likely due to not having a position.
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Batteredfan said:

Defense showed positives for the first time the entire season in second half. Still horrific playcalling at times particularly in first half (their OC also seemed to call a bad game in the second). Got dominated in the run game in first half despite this team being completely one dimensional.

Feels great to get a win but I still think big changes need to be made (goodbye PK if it were me). Defense showed negative progress all season except this second half. Just about every position group sucked. Playcalling was awful all season long. I got to think an offensive mind like sark has recognized this isn't only on the players. 

I’m gonna guess Sark doesn’t have an issue with PK actually, and I bet he feels it’s more of a player issue. 

He’s running around guys because he’s giving up 60-80lbs.

Saw Broughton flash in pass rush where he threw a guy off (Baylor game?) and then promptly benched.

Collins is playing all over the place. His lack of development is likely due to not having a position.

Ovie ran underneath the block of a FB/HB on Vaughan 20 yard run. It caused him to be a Half step late. Way back to Baylor’s long TD run, it was a thing of beauty. The QB blocked him and wasn’t trying. It happens far too often.

But he’s not the only one so singling him out just points it out play by play. Also hes lined up wide a lot so he should fight a little harder to turn them up. Then again our LBers have to fight off Guards or Tackles and get wide. That’s often hard to do.

Foster loafed on the tackle as usual, but this was a big gainer mainly due to our LBs - Gbenda in particular. We're in a 4-2-5 look (with 4 actual down lineman) with a safety creeping up in run support at the snap.  Gbenda has bad eyes, bad feet, bad steps and is way out of position. The pulling lead blocker has no one to block. Just really bad fundamentals. 

5vpxge.gif

image.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Foster loafed on the tackle as usual, but this was a big gainer mainly due to our LBs - Gbenda in particular. We're in a 4-2-5 look (with 4 actual down lineman) with a safety creeping up in run support at the snap.  Gbenda has bad eyes, bad feet, bad steps and is way out of position. The pulling lead blocker has no one to block. Just really bad fundamentals. 

5vpxge.gif

image.png

It honestly looked to me like both LBs had no idea how to read and/or play the QB counter

32 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

5vpxge.gif

image.png

How we are attacking the LOS on the D-Line and the lack of effort /concepts are contributing to the LB failures as well.

10 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

It honestly looked to me like both LBs had no idea how to read and/or play the QB counter

It’s a terrible read. I have been bitching about reading the triangle for LBs for years. That play is a great example of what Texas has been getting for years. The LBs are fixated on the RB and completely ignore 2 pulling OL. I’ll assume the Safety was being sent, because if he wasn’t blitzing it’s 3 Longhorns attacking the area that the guard and Tackle vacated. Then there is the Boundary edge player. Nothing like running 4 yards up field and using your inside shoulder to take on the pulling OL. When you are unblocked you need to think read or pull/trap. Never looks inside and is easily kicked out. So you have a minimum of 3 players who just ran themselves out of the play, because of undisciplined play 

• Hook 'Em 3

The LBs are also inexperienced here. 

You needs reps to get used to following lineman hats as opposed to RB direction.

That said, the LB plays was better yesterday than most of the year. They were taking on blocks and looked to physically belong on the field (speed, strength, etc).

Foster has been a liability all season. That play is just one of many where either his lack of effort or the fact that he apparently runs a 4.8 forty are extremely evident.

12 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

We need to stop having our corners bail out immediately when the ball is snapped every single play. We play with 8 yard cushions on 3rd and 2. The only way this happens is if the DC wants it to. I think the secondary coach is just doing what he’s told. The scheme issues come from the top.

I think Ian Boyd showed how PK liked to play his safeties with Jimmy Lake versus how Terry Joseph played them at Notre Dame. We played the ND way and things never meshed. I have always thought that PK just does not go from being pretty damn good DC to being useless without being interfered with by Sark. I believe Sark promised Joseph defensive passing game coordinator a neutered PK. We saw this kind of thing before with Leon Fuller when Mackovic got involved and made a DC with top 10 defenses year in and year out all of a sudden rank 60th in D.

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I think Ian Boyd showed how PK liked to play his safeties with Jimmy Lake versus how Terry Joseph played them at Notre Dame. We played the ND way and things never meshed. I have always thought that PK just does not go from being pretty damn good DC to being useless without being interfered with by Sark. I believe Sark promised Joseph defensive passing game coordinator a neutered PK. We saw this kind of thing before with Leon Fuller when Mackovic got involved and made a DC with top 10 defenses year in and year out all of a sudden rank 60th in D.

I don't think so on this one. PK said bend but don't break. That means allowing the short throws and come up and tackle, which appears to be what we are attempting to do. We just lack the effort and speed to get guys on the ground shortly after the ball is delivered. Most of the time we are bailing its to morph into some type of coverage. Defense is about effort. Run hard to the ball and good things happen. We aren't doing that as a whole.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I don't think so on this one. PK said bend but don't break. That means allowing the short throws and come up and tackle, which appears to be what we are attempting to do. We just lack the effort and speed to get guys on the ground shortly after the ball is delivered. Most of the time we are bailing its to morph into some type of coverage. Defense is about effort. Run hard to the ball and good things happen. We aren't doing that as a whole.

You can't come up and tackle when your safeties bail. That is what I mean by don't mesh. Joseph likes to play two high safeties that bail. Lake and PK do not play the safeties like Joseph they are more aggressive. Maybe I misinterpreted Boyd's article but that is what I got out of it.

Edited by DanTheHorn

25 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It’s a terrible read. I have been bitching about reading the triangle for LBs for years. That play is a great example of what Texas has been getting for years. The LBs are fixated on the RB and completely ignore 2 pulling OL. I’ll assume the Safety was being sent, because if he wasn’t blitzing it’s 3 Longhorns attacking the area that the guard and Tackle vacated. Then there is the Boundary edge player. Nothing like running 4 yards up field and using your inside shoulder to take on the pulling OL. When you are unblocked you need to think read or pull/trap. Never looks inside and is easily kicked out. So you have a minimum of 3 players who just ran themselves out of the play, because of undisciplined play 

The edge player should not be up the field on a down block for sure. With pullers coming to him he has to cap/squeeze/leverage (whatever term you use) the pullers, no one to spill to. Neither lb sees pullers and safety is so deep taking a shitty angle. This is just bad in so many ways that it’s hard to believe. But it’s something we have come used to seeing weekly unfortunately.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fico said:

The LBs are also inexperienced here. 

You needs reps to get used to following lineman hats as opposed to RB direction.

That said, the LB plays was better yesterday than most of the year. They were taking on blocks and looked to physically belong on the field (speed, strength, etc).

Foster has been a liability all season. That play is just one of many where either his lack of effort or the fact that he apparently runs a 4.8 forty are extremely evident.

The LB was “better” because it basically had to defend the run only

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Schooler was killed in space against Vaughn, just like he was all season.

Schooler is sub optimal, but pretty much every safety looks like a total asshole when faced with a quality ball carrier in the open field with a two way go. Our uber shitty front 7 with their pathological avoidance of leverage, tackling and pursuit angles teed this scenario up time and again. So schooler was made to look like a bigger asshole than he is time a and again. 

I’m sure he took false steps and took bad angles himself, but I never saw him loafing unlike some others keeping him company 25 yards off the LOS. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This. PK and Sark are not letting Terry fucking Joseph dictate the coverage PK wants.  This is the dumbest thing going on right now. blaming Terry Joseph for coverages. Terry Joseph teaches what PK wants him to.  PK calls the D.  If Terry Joseph has been consistently, all year, been doing things other than what PK wants and hasn't been fired then Sark needs to be fired.  The TJ thing is trying to cover for the fact that PK has failed.

on this play, Gbenda is trying to do both LBers jobs instead of just his job.  his first step is to the RB who is going towards the other LB and our pressure.  he blocks himself. do your job.

• Hook 'Em 4

18 hours ago, Had Enough said:

The d was much better cause the KSU QB couldn’t complete a pass.

That and Jacoby Jones killed a KState drive with a 10 yard loss.

Run D was as crappy as it’s been except for about 4 plays.

But that was the difference.  All year they couldn’t make a play when it was most needed.  They did it multiple times yesterday.  Seems like Colburn was pretty motivated yesterday.  I wonder if the coaches listing him for senior walk got his attention.  

20 minutes ago, Fico said:

Maybe.  But they looked like they physically belonged, and made plays with aggression and athleticism.

We have not seen consistent flashes of play like that all season. Pass threats or not. 

eh, KSU was extremely limited.  that said the D did what they had to do in the 2nd half to win the game.  so good on them and PK.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

eh, KSU was extremely limited.  that said the D did what they had to do in the 2nd half to win the game.  so good on them and PK.

Yeah, it’s not a ringing endorsement by any means.

Just that the LBs looked as if they belonged on the same field for the first time this season.

As much of a cripple fight as it may have been, hopefully there is a little boost of confidence for the younger guys who will assuredly play more next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beer Horn said:

The edge player should not be up the field on a down block for sure. With pullers coming to him he has to cap/squeeze/leverage (whatever term you use) the pullers, no one to spill to. Neither lb sees pullers and safety is so deep taking a shitty angle. This is just bad in so many ways that it’s hard to believe. But it’s something we have come used to seeing weekly unfortunately.

It’s terrible and the mistakes are Junior High level mistakes. These are basic fundamentals taught at lower levels. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

5vpxge.gif

image.png

Lack of trust or anxious to make a play... The read is right into the teeth of the defensive set. 33 has no reason to be over there... This isn't scheme and he's probably been coached better than this... Maybe not enough reps yet, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

This is why we lose to ou. They're "Momma" play is basically Counter Trey with whatever eye candy they want to attach...  and we are often on the eye candy while they're executing the most staple power run play in football over the last 45 years. Without rewatching, I'm willing to bet most of the ou TD / long runs were out of something like this, whether RB or QB.

• Hook 'Em 2

the hilarious thing about that play is if he gives it to the RB its probably a 20+ yard gain if not housed the other way.. Jones wasn't going to get him and neither were the LBers.  2 WR blocks and he's gone. we are so fucking bad.

and yes OU just destroys us because we can't find a DC that can defend a counter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

the hilarious thing about that play is if he gives it to the RB its probably a 20+ yard gain if not housed the other way.. Jones wasn't going to get him and neither were the LBers.  2 WR blocks and he's gone. we are so fucking bad.

and yes OU just destroys us because we can't find a DC that can defend a counter.

Gary Joseph to DC...

5 hours ago, Beer Horn said:

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

It’s terrible and the mistakes are Junior High level mistakes. These are basic fundamentals taught at lower levels. 

This looks exactly like what we saw when _iaz was here. Exactly. To a tee

Edited by Thatguy

Just now, Thatguy said:

This lay looks exactly like what we saw when _iaz was here. Exactly. To a tee.

To be honest this has been going on a long time. It isn’t new to this year. OU has been drilling Texas with counter Trey for years. LB play has been terrible for years. The season is over and if someone said Ford was the best LB on the team,  I really wouldn’t have a strong argument against them. Until Texas can roll out 2 solid LBs, the defenses will continue to be bad. It’s been since 2011 that Texas finished #1 in total defense in the Big 12 and just 3 times in the last 10 years Texas has finished above 5th in the Big 12. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

To be honest this has been going on a long time. It isn’t new to this year. OU has been drilling Texas with counter Trey for years. LB play has been terrible for years. The season is over and if someone said Ford was the best LB on the team,  I really wouldn’t have a strong argument against them. Until Texas can roll out 2 solid LBs, the defenses will continue to be bad. It’s been since 2011 that Texas finished #1 in total defense in the Big 12 and just 3 times in the last 10 years Texas has finished above 5th in the Big 12. 

Which is why I am now on the "its us" train.

Just now, Thatguy said:

Which is why I am now on the "its us" train.

By the way, I think some of this is directly correlated to Orlando. He oddly recruited LBs that were good pass rushers in HS and put them off the ball, wasting their talent. ILB to me is a lot more than physical ability. The ability to make reads quickly, like a QB, trumps 40 times 9 out of 10 times. 

But that was the difference.  All year they couldn’t make a play when it was most needed.  They did it multiple times yesterday.  Seems like Colburn was pretty motivated yesterday.  I wonder if the coaches listing him for senior walk got his attention.  

I agree. We’ve needed anyone to make a play to shift the tide in any of 6 losses. And we finally got em. Not including the 4th down stops Ovie and Bush both made individual stops on 3rds. Great football plays all of them. But also some honesty is required in that if it’s anybody but Vaughn they may have enough power for first downs.

I’d also add that Thompson pitch to Roschon from the pocket was winning football. That’s really the first of its kind this season in which the QB makes a play out of nothing. Gets a first and kickstarts the drive.

That’s a good question on Coburn.

12 hours ago, dcar00 said:

This. PK and Sark are not letting Terry fucking Joseph dictate the coverage PK wants.  This is the dumbest thing going on right now. blaming Terry Joseph for coverages. Terry Joseph teaches what PK wants him to.  PK calls the D.  If Terry Joseph has been consistently, all year, been doing things other than what PK wants and hasn't been fired then Sark needs to be fired.  The TJ thing is trying to cover for the fact that PK has failed.

on this play, Gbenda is trying to do both LBers jobs instead of just his job.  his first step is to the RB who is going towards the other LB and our pressure.  he blocks himself. do your job.

Yup, PK is dog shit. Perhaps if they didn't waste game reps on Brockermeyer and Foster all season we'd have a younger guy more developed. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Schooler is sub optimal, but pretty much every safety looks like a total asshole when faced with a quality ball carrier in the open field with a two way go. Our uber shitty front 7 with their pathological avoidance of leverage, tackling and pursuit angles teed this scenario up time and again. So schooler was made to look like a bigger asshole than he is time a and again. 

I’m sure he took false steps and took bad angles himself, but I never saw him loafing unlike some others keeping him company 25 yards off the LOS. 

Our edge guys were terrible all season long and I don't get it. If you have edge contain you keep your outside shoulder free, it's a very easy task to at least try to accomplish, but not only did we fail to do it all year long our edge guys weren't even trying to do it most of the time. They'd square up the blocker and turn their chest to the inside, making it easy for the tacitly endorsed standard Big 12 hold to seal the edge.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Our edge guys were terrible all season long and I don't get it. If you have edge contain you keep your outside shoulder free, it's a very easy task to at least try to accomplish, but not only did we fail to do it all year long our edge guys weren't even trying to do it most of the time. They'd square up the blocker and turn their chest to the inside, making it easy for the tacitly endorsed standard Big 12 hold to seal the edge.

What's not to get about dog shit scheme and coach?

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yup, PK is dog shit. Perhaps if they didn't waste game reps on Brockermeyer and Foster all season we'd have a younger guy more developed. 

It's so much more than that. To play well on defense its about trust. We beat on the LBs for wrong steps and bad eyes but how many times has the D-line failed them? Supposedly PK plays a single gap scheme but the way the D-Line plays sure as shit looks like 2 to me. Arms extended, waiting to see which way the play goes. DEs firing recklessly upfield, ignoring all the keys and contain responsibilities. Hard to do what you are supposed to when the guys in front cannot be trusted to be where they are supposed to be, and do what they are supposed to do. We saw this same shit with Manny and the LBs looked just as lost. It's a lack of trust.

• Like 1

Hmm. Undisciplined play, again and again throughout the season. Lack of fundamentals. Questionable personnel decisions. Bizarre playcalls given down and distance. Nonsensical game plans.  I can't quite put my finger on the problem.  Oh well, nothing that some true freshman and portal transfers can't fix next year!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Hmm. Undisciplined play, again and again throughout the season. Lack of fundamentals. Questionable personnel decisions. Bizarre playcalls given down and distance. Nonsensical game plans.  I can't quite put my finger on the problem.  Oh well, nothing that some true freshman and portal transfers can't fix next year!!

If we just have the same playbook next year all our problems will go away because we can shout “continuity!!!” as we teach new players a scheme they don’t know.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think challenge is the upper classmen were largely shitty players that had never been managed out by prior regimes. Every time a new DC showed up they effectively got a blank slate and just kept skating by.

Same shit happens at companies where managers move out every year, bottom performers just get to hang around and hit the reset button every year.

I am not advocating to keep PK but having 3 DCs in 3 odd years is partially to blame for this.

Texas needs to gut this fucking roster and hit the reset button. This is a pretty major rebuild as they are very few players worth a shit on this team currently.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I think challenge is the upper classmen were largely shitty players that had never been managed out by prior regimes. Every time a new DC showed up they effectively got a blank slate and just kept skating by.

Same shit happens at companies where managers move out every year, bottom performers just get to hang around and hit the reset button every year.

I am not advocating to keep PK but having 3 DCs in 3 odd years is partially to blame for this.

Texas needs to gut this fucking roster and hit the reset button. This is a pretty major rebuild as they are very few players worth a shit on this team currently.

Yep, I agree.

And, I think many/most coaches would be hesitant to do a complete reset, Strong came closest, but only kicked off criminals and dopers, not those with bad attitudes that stayed out of trouble.

By hook or crook, Sark is going to get that rebuild.  And it's not going to be very pretty.  But it's probably going to be better than this season.  Instead of dicking around with 6-7 win seasons that maintain the status quo, we have this horrible one, and build from there.  Hopefully it goes from 5 wins to 7 or maybe 8, with some luck, and then into 9 and 10 wins.

I think we actually needed this type of season.

I am, however, fairly certain that PK got to go.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep, I agree.

And, I think many/most coaches would be hesitant to do a complete reset, Strong came closest, but only kicked off criminals and dopers, not those with bad attitudes that stayed out of trouble.

By hook or crook, Sark is going to get that rebuild.  And it's not going to be very pretty.  But it's probably going to be better than this season.  Instead of dicking around with 6-7 win seasons that maintain the status quo, we have this horrible one, and build from there.  Hopefully it goes from 5 wins to 7 or maybe 8, with some luck, and then into 9 and 10 wins.

I think we actually needed this type of season.

Ah, the old circa 2015 "it was always gonna be a teardown" coping mechanism.  It's bullshit, but I get it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Ah, the old circa 2015 "it was always gonna be a teardown" coping mechanism.  It's bullshit, but I get it.  

Except there has never been a teardown.  Just half-measures.

And, I think Sarkisian is lucking into it.  The attrition from the 18 and 19 classes plus inadequacies of those left is going to force it.

Just doing it 15-20 at a time, leaving the other 50-65 to infect them and having slow turnover is not going to get it done.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?