Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

Nothing like arguing stability for the sake of stability while also saying bring in all new players. These new players are going to have to learn a new system so it doesn’t make a difference if it is PK’s shitty system or some new system. Continuity doesn’t mean anything at that point. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, B00M said:

Unless CT was just lying his ass off, he's a well spoken film rat. But I guess you think CT just forgot how to throw the ball to receivers? Or that his play from Colorado through the 1st half vs OU prior to the thumb injury was beginner's luck? You think his play of late is indicative of a lack of football IQ or arm strength and NOT thumb injury-induced suckage? Cool, cool.

It's the same as trying to learn better habits, when the bullets are live and there's pressure, we tend to fall back on our bad habits.

Just like you can teach guys to play with good pad level, but fatigue and other struggles will lead many back to their poor and ineffective habits.

These defensive lineman would rejoice to play in a system that allows them to actually attack gaps and not eat blocks. We are paying Bo Davis $1 million to have him teach our DL to engage with a lineman but don’t penetrate into the backfield or you might accidentally make a play! Making plays are only reserved for our LB and safeties after the play has already gone for a first down.

Edited by Hookem2147

47 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nothing like arguing stability for the sake of stability while also saying bring in all new players. These new players are going to have to learn a new system so it doesn’t make a difference if it is PK’s shitty system or some new system. Continuity doesn’t mean anything at that point. 

What if the players coming in have been selected because they will excel in this system and then you switch to a different system?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

What if the players coming in have been selected because they will excel in this system and then you switch to a different system?

Fair point. Maybe I’m trying to make things too simple but there’s only so many things you can system wise defensively in football. A guy who we want as a 3-4 edge player could still probably fit in as a 4-3 defensive end, for example. 

There are just so many things wrong schematically and we are getting beat so often just based purely off alignment. The issues go so much deeper than the players and I know they are the easiest scapegoat right now but I have a hard time envisioning us losing potentially 7-8 starters and being better next year with a bunch of backups who couldn’t see the field for this shit defense this year and transfers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Codaxx said:

What’s your opinion on TCU, prior to the thumb? Any opinion on why the thumb was such a detriment vs ISU, better vs Kansas, and unbearable vs WV, outside of the defensive capabilities of those teams?

12/22 with 1 TD and 1 INT @ TCU in his 1st road start when the running game was working is hardly damning... 

I'm sure it helps when he faces less pressure and doesn't have to squeeze the ball. Receivers being wide open of course increases the margin for error... For all we know it's fine until he has to squeeze the ball to protect it, and then then the thumb throbs for a minute and affects the next throw.

But it was very clearly bothering him against Kansas. Everytime the camera zoomed in, he was holding it or it was shaking like a body part does when it's fucked up. 

If I were him I'd shut it down right now or have surgery immediately, but it would be natural for him to think he'll lose his job and try to battle through it. 

40 minutes ago, Atticus said:

It's the same as trying to learn better habits, when the bullets are live and there's pressure, we tend to fall back on our bad habits.

Just like you can teach guys to play with good pad level, but fatigue and other struggles will lead many back to their poor and ineffective habits.

We only notice the bad habits when the ball comes out like shit. I'd wager CT will be a badass next season too, at least until there's another injury. Sort of like Shane Beuchelle before and after rib injuries.

Just now, B00M said:

12/22 with 1 TD and 1 INT @ TCU in his 1st road start when the running game was working is hardly damning... 

I'm sure it helps when he faces less pressure and doesn't have to squeeze the ball. Receivers being wide open of course increases the margin for error... For all we know it's fine until he has to squeeze the ball to protect it, and then then the thumb throbs for a minute and affects the next throw.

But it was very clearly bothering him against Kansas. Everytime the camera zoomed in, he was holding it or it was shaking like a body part does when it's fucked up. 

If I were him I'd shut it down right now or have surgery immediately, but it would be natural for him to think he'll lose his job and try to battle through it. 

He was terrible vs TCU. To the point that Sark was afraid to call pass plays. Coming into WV Casey was throwing for around 5.6 per att, 56% comp, with 3 TDs and 3 Ints vs  top 5 teams in total defense in the Big 12. He is 8th in QBR in the league and 68th in the country. I am fine with people saying he is better than Card, but saying he has done a good job is ridiculous 

16 hours ago, vtaenz said:

True, but I think he was in charge of linebackers. His recruiting and development of linebackers while he was here was not good.
My memory is fuzzy but he may have lost out on several LB he was recruiting and went with his 2nd and 3rd choice but that was a really bad spot on this team under him.

No, you only remember it that way because of Manny Diaz. He left Manny K Rob, Acho, Hicks, and Edmond. Hicks was injured and Edmond looked like he didn't know how to play football before Greg got him. But the 2011 defense was only good because they were Boom's guys and then when Manny had to teach them they were shit. Greg got them and Edmond turned around and we all know about Hicks. He still playing.

25 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He was terrible vs TCU. To the point that Sark was afraid to call pass plays. Coming into WV Casey was throwing for around 5.6 per att, 56% comp, with 3 TDs and 3 Ints vs  top 5 teams in total defense in the Big 12. He is 8th in QBR in the league and 68th in the country. I am fine with people saying he is better than Card, but saying he has done a good job is ridiculous 

I'm not arguing he has done a good job. I'm arguing he would have done a good job if not for the injury to his throwing thumb. The only evidence to suggest otherwise is his performance @ TCU where he was so terrible we still won...  

16 minutes ago, B00M said:

I'm not arguing he has done a good job. I'm arguing he would have done a good job if not for the injury to his throwing thumb. The only evidence to suggest otherwise is his performance @ TCU where he was so terrible we still won...  

that is just weak. Bijan was the reason Texas won. Texas won that game despite of Casey’s performance, not because of it. You are completely ignoring his Int rate, which I believe is 9th in the Big 12. That has nothing to do with his thumb and everything to do with his ability to read a defense. That and obvious arm strength issues 

• Hook 'Em 1

FWIW, Washington is 15th in DFEI this year. Obviously PK still has a stamp on that team but it's not a great sign when it comes to the PK vs. Lake questions. 

Whatever off-field issues will probably rule this out, but if we're sticking with PK, we almost have to bring Lake in as DB coach.

21 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The only reason to change is to bring a counter Sark type guy. Someone fiery, who gets the team emotionally in the right place. Someone who calls a good D but can also recruit well. To me Boom is that guy, but if you can't get him then don't just grab a different guy for the sake of grabbing a different guy. 

Thoughts from my own mind, thank you.  

Sark is Mr Calm.

Kwiatkowsi is Mr Calm.

More Bo Davis'ing is needed.

5 minutes ago, zjaponica said:

I can't believe that you would forget that the greatest football coach who was a ut grad and the very personification of stoicism with his dress and fedora didn't post his first winning season until year seven.

No one forgot - it's just not relevant.  Like your posts.  

• Haha 1

One thing I keep coming back to is the number of short drives. Been that way all season and against WVU there were five of five plays or less. And even on scoring drives, not a single drive of over ten plays.

There isn’t enough depth to keep the defense rested enough with the number of three and outs or short drives. The defense gets exhausted and honestly, it’s a mental thing. Teams wear down from long drives and points at the end.

WVU had three 10+ play drives with points and a couple more of 9 plays, one with points and one without. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, B00M said:

Casey has been making sketchy plays all year. Forcing the ball into traffic when there are better options available. Choosing to throw into traffic instead of taking the easy yards with his legs. Missing wide open receivers down field, usually due to putting too much air on the ball, etc. Tech was his best game, OU probably second. 

He's choosing to play with his thumb the way it is, that's on him. If he's not able to make better decisions, based on his circumstances, then he's still to blame for his level of play. 

Maybe Card can develop into something down the line, but Casey is gonna be Casey at this point.

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

One thing I keep coming back to is the number of short drives. Been that way all season and against WVU there were five of five plays or less. And even on scoring drives, not a single drive of over ten plays.

There isn’t enough depth to keep the defense rested enough with the number of three and outs or short drives. The defense gets exhausted and honestly, it’s a mental thing. Teams wear down from long drives and points at the end.

WVU had three 10+ play drives with points and a couple more of 9 plays, one with points and one without. 

The defense got gashed at home by Kansas from the opening snap. They didn't get tired walking from the locker room.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, DiceHands said:

I think hes donezoes after this year.  And if he is, I hope he takes the special teams embarrassment with him too. 

What the fuck are you talking about? Special Teams has been one of the few bright spots of this season. Definitely not an embarrassment like the defense.

The team gave up awhile ago. Some players haven't given up, though. It is hard to tell if it is on the players (most likely) or the coaches or both. Ex-players have their opinion but it is hard to know without interviewing or hanging out with the current players.

Per the presser, sounds like 7LS is bringing everybody back. 

Can anyone explain how Blake Gideon and Terry Joseph have been coaching at a “championship level” for years/a really long time? Can I hope that at the very least, these two incompetent losers are being quietly excluded from the group receiving a vigorous vote of confidence from 7LS?

Or does 7LS really want to run it back? Hope traffickers, give me a sign.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Per the presser, sounds like 7LS is bringing everybody back. 

Can anyone explain how Blake Gideon and Terry Joseph have been coaching at a “championship level” for years/a really long time? Can I hope that at the very least, these two incompetent losers are being quietly excluded from the group receiving a vigorous vote of confidence from 7LS?

Or does 7LS really want to run it back? Hope traffickers, give me a sign.

He literally didn't say one thing in the press conference about coaches returning.

He said he is going to be evaluating coaches and players once the season is over.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He literally didn't say one thing in the press conference about coaches returning.

He said he is going to be evaluating coaches and players once the season is over.

yeah, seemed like he was leaving himself plenty of room to not commit to any coach (or player) returning.. everyone getting evaluated

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He was asked about the defensive staff and spoke glowingly of them. About how they’ve coached at a championship level for a long time, and have outlasted rough times before. Coaches never say anything literal about coaches returning in press conferences. You have to read between the lines. And it sure sounds like he wants to run it back.

1 minute ago, CurlyDumps said:

He was asked about the defensive staff and spoke glowingly of them. About how they’ve coached at a championship level for a long time, and have outlasted rough times before. Coaches never say anything literal about coaches returning in press conferences. You have to read between the lines. And it sure sounds like he wants to run it back.

I mean I guess he could have thrown them under the bus a couple weeks before signing day, but how would that have helped things?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Sounds like a vote of confidence!

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

They also never will hint at dudes losing their job. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Nothing anyone says in press conferences matters, except for maybe injury updates.  

For the most part your comment is accurate -- but coaches can send great messages to their players and fans at a press conference.

Watch this:  

Saban used a depth-chart question – specifically about junior tight end Jahleel Billingsley – to reinforce his ideology for Tide football.

“Well, that's up to him. That's not up to me,” Saban said of Billingsley's place in the pecking order. “He knows what he's supposed to do in practice. He knows what he's supposed to do.

“You know, this is not a democracy. Everybody doesn't get to do what they want to do. Everybody doesn't get to do what they feel like doing. You've got to buy in and do what you're supposed to do to be a part of the team and do the things you need to do in practice, every day. That's a sense of urgency, play fast, execute, do your job.”

Saban also hammered home the point that Alabama's practice are so heavily attended by professional scouts that Crimson Tide players can begin laying the foundation for a potential professional career long before gameday.

“It's a privilege for everybody to go out there and create value for yourself,” Saban said. “We have (NFL) scouts at practice every day. Everybody thinks it's just about playing in the game. It's not just about playing in the game. They watch practice film, they watch guys every day.

“You guys on ESPN, you evaluate what happens in the game but they evaluate what happens every day. So what are you doing every day to create any value for yourself? But you have to create value for yourself so that your teammates and everybody gets confidence in you so that you have their confidence when you go out there and play. That's up to every player on the team. I don't make that decision for everybody on the team. I try to get them to do it. I try to point out the importance of doing it, but it's up to them to do it. Maybe that's not my question to answer.”

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

“Tom Herman is our coach.” - Chris Del Conte

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jeez, the season isn’t even over.  He’s not going to reveal if he’s letting coaches go or not right now.  

He did state that they are going to have to look at scheme and personnel to figure out a way to get a better pass rush.  Whether that means coaches are gone or they play more 4 down lineman… who knows.

Jeez, the season isn’t even over.  He’s not going to reveal if he’s letting coaches go or not right now.  

He did state that they are going to have to look at scheme and personnel to figure out a way to get a better pass rush.  Whether that means coaches are gone or they play more 4 down lineman… who knows.

A good staff would have done that before trotting out this mess every Saturday.

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Go read up on Dave Aranda.  He has been very flexible with his scheme throughout his career as a DC.  He coaches circles around PK.  

Once again, flexibility inside of a scheme and a scheme change are two different things. Aranda is still working inside the 3-4 platform he has been running forever. We've run a bajillion different looks. Anywhere from 2-5 man fronts, nickel and dime, and cover 1 thru quarters on the back end. What his scheme, regardless of how many men are on the LOS, asks the players to do up front appears to be something they are not good at or we don't teach well. Regardless, every DC we've had has come here and run into the same problem. Manny did. Charlie did. Orlando did. And now PK has. All these guys were good DCs before they got here and then we broke them. I think the problem is us. Here is what I think it is.

I think we have a couple issues. I think we are playing kids too early. Tossing them out there before they've learned their craft. There are two types of players. You have the lower star try hard guys who didn't have the sheer athletic ability but through effort made to the collegiate level. Then you have the talented guys who's technique is bad but overcame it through sheer ability. Baylor gets the former. We get the latter. So when you play a guy like that he is really raw, and makes a lot of technical mistakes. I believe we've been playing dudes too early and they develop bad technique, but then they compound the problem by being the toxic yeah yeah coach I got it guys. I cannot think of any other reason these coaches are struggling here. It makes sense when you add in the fact that the only two DCs to come in here and be successful were guys who ran high school level defensive schemes that the guys probably already played and thus could be effective.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We have no one who can set the edge. Maybe they mix in some 4 down this week with Jones coming back.

We played a lot the last two weeks against the two worst rushing teams in the B12.  It didn't get better, it probably got worse.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Once again, flexibility inside of a scheme and a scheme change are two different things. Aranda is still working inside the 3-4 platform he has been running forever. We've run a bajillion different looks. Anywhere from 2-5 man fronts, nickel and dime, and cover 1 thru quarters on the back end. What his scheme, regardless of how many men are on the LOS, asks the players to do up front appears to be something they are not good at or we don't teach well. Regardless, every DC we've had has come here and run into the same problem. Manny did. Charlie did. Orlando did. And now PK has. All these guys were good DCs before they got here and then we broke them. I think the problem is us. Here is what I think it is.

I think we have a couple issues. I think we are playing kids too early. Tossing them out there before they've learned their craft. There are two types of players. You have the lower star try hard guys who didn't have the sheer athletic ability but through effort made to the collegiate level. Then you have the talented guys who's technique is bad but overcame it through sheer ability. Baylor gets the former. We get the latter. So when you play a guy like that he is really raw, and makes a lot of technical mistakes. I believe we've been playing dudes too early and they develop bad technique, but then they compound the problem by being the toxic yeah yeah coach I got it guys. I cannot think of any other reason these coaches are struggling here. It makes sense when you add in the fact that the only two DCs to come in here and be successful were guys who ran high school level defensive schemes that the guys probably already played and thus could be effective.

Carrying water for a defensive coordinator at Texas who is worse than Manny Diaz, yikes....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Carrying water for a defensive coordinator at Texas who is worse than Manny Diaz, yikes....

Bro you know I was the first to clown on Diaz, but then he left and got his mojo back. After awhile we have to start pointing the finger at us. We're the woman who's on her 5th husband and its not working out. But she swears its them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?