Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

So stupid question....why is it that continuity is so important if we are also looking to turn over so much of the roster? Does it really make a difference if it's PK teaching these new guys "his" system versus another DC? I feel like the continuity argument only matters if you have a bunch of young starters who are still getting a feel for one another. We have 8 defensive starters that are seniors or grad transfers...

Obviously a lot of these big name programs have established head coaches so a coordinator or position coach leaving might not be the same as our usual yearly coaching shuffle, but it feels like continuity can be overrated considering how frequently rosters turn over in CFB.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

From my view, I plugged the safeties as the primary issue a few games ago primarily because there were several blitzes that PK had them in the right position and they botched them. Not only did they not make the play, but it often ended as a huge offensive play. And often very critical. But for me, it’s never been a lack of physical talent with those guys. I’d partly say confidence to play aggressive is one issue. In todays game expecting a safety to consistently win one on one battles with a RB with a two way go in the open field is a losing proposition. I mean we’d expect Bijan to win that everytime, right?

But the last two games or so, it’s shifted somewhat because Schooler is playing damn hard.

So my question is what changed for him? And how do we get others triggered in that same manner?

I lean to the secondary as being the major part of the issues. 

If you watch these videos of Washington defense, you see a much more aggressive defense. CBs are up taking away the quick reads. 

15 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It appears that PK has little input or idea what the back end of his defense is doing on any given down anyway, so he probably wouldn’t even have to interact with Lake other than quipping about the weather in the coaches’ locker room.

That is kind of where I have been. I dont think this is a TCU thing where the DL and coverage are getting separate calls, but how PK is using the secondary is vastly different at Texas than at Washington. I would love to know why, because I have no idea why PK has changed 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So stupid question....why is it that continuity is so important if we are also looking to turn over so much of the roster? Does it really make a difference if it's PK teaching these new guys "his" system versus another DC? I feel like the continuity argument only matters if you have a bunch of young starters who are still getting a feel for one another. We have 8 defensive starters that are seniors or grad transfers...

Obviously a lot of these big name programs have established head coaches so a coordinator or position coach leaving might not be the same as our usual yearly coaching shuffle, but it feels like continuity can be overrated considering how frequently rosters turn over in CFB.

Because recruiting started in March?

2 hours ago, immamac said:

There is so much stupid in this thread it hurts. 

PK is not going anywhere for at least 3 and maybe even 4 years. Neither is Sark unless there is a recruiting catastrophe (spoiler: not looking to be the case).

There seems to be a clear indication from leadership that they want to change the program entirely. They sold us on the possibility of winning early, but have all essentially given up on that and committed to the process of turning the roster over, installing a scheme for "next man up", and establishing a long term 5-10 year period of elite football expectations. That is what sark sold them on when he took the job and that's what everyone who gave sark the job wanted. 

At this point we know for a fact that Urban told the AD and leadership in no uncertain terms why he didn't want to come here and it was because this program wasn't just a rebuild it was a demolish and start over. The good news is that can happen in 2 seasons with the transfer portal and recruiting. We can have 65+ new players on the roster and keep another 30 who can't go to the NFL yet by the time the SEC move happens. 

It sucks that we are losing, it's really fucking stupid we are probably going to miss a bowl game, and I am also in the camp of play the young guys early in this scenario. 

Just embrace the suck.  

Kinda where i'm at. Done with firing coaches every 3 years and drinking kool aid on the next guy "fixing it". At a certain point stability is the most crucial thing. If we were gonna hire a "big fish" to come in, we'd have Urban. He declined for a reason.

To put it simply, no it won't. There is a lot of desire for stability and pk is a proven coach. 

Another record breaking year for the defense and you don’t think anyone will be fired? I get wanting stability. They should have kept the entire previous staff on defense.

But if the defense shuts the bed and wallows in it next year, after PK has gotten more of his players in place and they have more time, yeah someone is going to get fired. You can’t just keep allowing that type of nonsense. If Traylor beats UT, someone may get reassigned mid season.

I stopped falling for it after Charlie Arkansas Bowl game fiasco.  Herman almost got there but didn't because his DC falied him mostly.  This is likely to go down the same way because I don't think he's as inept as Charlie. 
Show me.

I stopped falling for it when we lost to Iowa state at home the year after the Bama Rose Bowl.

Show me is correct. And this organization hasn’t since. Going on 11 years now.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

To put it simply, no it won't. There is a lot of desire for stability and pk is a proven coach. 

image.jpeg.2d8730002713567b32205964284cd2d1.jpeg

They can desire stability as much as they want. Averaging five losses a year with an incompetent coaching staff is going to keep things highly unstable. 

13 plays, 75 yards, TD

10 plays, 65 yards, TD

3 plays, 4 yards, punt

11 plays, 75 yards, TD

3 plays, 23 yards, TD

4 plays, 75 yards, TD

Just to remind everyone, those were Kansas’ first six drives. There should be no coming back from this. Kansas’ drive chart should be Sark’s desktop background for the next month.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'd gladly trade the 1 or 2 guys PK was involved with recruiting wise if it meant we could actually stop someone on the field....

What I was referring to is we're trying to get people that fit his scheme (especially LBs, which we never seem to have or utilize correctly until they're headed to the NFL somehow).  I suppose we could find a DC that can utilize what we have, but that is focusing on now / short-term.  I'm ok with letting him build the defensive personnel, if that is indeed what he's doing.

2 minutes ago, Snacks said:

What I was referring to is we're trying to get people that fit his scheme (especially LBs, which we never seem to have or utilize correctly until they're headed to the NFL somehow).  I suppose we could find a DC that can utilize what we have, but that is focusing on now / short-term.  I'm ok with letting him build the defensive personnel, if that is indeed what he's doing.

Say he gets a year two and we see same stuff out of him we saw this year with more of his types.....we fire midway? Doing so only proves he should have been fired the prior off-season. What's the plan?

15 minutes ago, RabidM said:

PK has to go. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel on offense.  The defense is truly horrific... a sad disaster. The defensive personnel are demoralized and don't believe in the system.  

He's lost his half of the locker room. It's over.

We lost to Kansas at home. He’s got to go

3 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I can see the plan we are trying to execute by the edge players and DL we are taking, but I don't see any type of solution at LB in this class. The kid we are taking from California and Trevell Johnson at MLB are both major projects. Maybe we have a plan to attack the portal.

4 minutes ago, Snacks said:

My biggest issue is I dont think PK is running his scheme. It is some kind of amalgamation of PK's defense and Terry Joseph's ND defense and it is a complete fucking mess

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

23 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I can see the plan we are trying to execute by the edge players and DL we are taking, but I don't see any type of solution at LB in this class. The kid we are taking from California and Trevell Johnson at MLB are both major projects. Maybe we have a plan to attack the portal.

Relying on true freshmen to fix your team is generally a losing bet. We need linebacker recruits, but we really need at least average linebacker play next year. Have the ability to see a gap and hit that gap before getting taken out of the play. Safeties also need to fill in the remaining gaps as they develop with authority as well. Our guys currently do neither with any consistency. 

I think that's part of the IQ aspect they keep mentioning. Athleticism is great if you know what you're doing, but I'd rather you make the normal play consistently than an eye-popping one mixed in with consistently subpar play.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Say he gets a year two and we see same stuff out of him we saw this year with more of his types.....we fire midway? Doing so only proves he should have been fired the prior off-season. What's the plan?

I don't have the plan. I doubt he lays it out in public.

51 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

My biggest issue is I dont think PK is running his scheme. It is some kind of amalgamation of PK's defense and Terry Joseph's ND defense and it is a complete fucking mess

It is a mess... right now.  Because it requires safeties (and CBs) to know wtf they're doing when we bring a NB blitz, roll a safety and the CB needs to, at a minimum, be in the vicinity of a receiver until the safety is in the area.

We have DBs, that I won't name or number, that seem to break down every week, right when you think "they got it!"

You have to teach the concept and call it, to see if you have the players to run it... and then you keep teaching it and running it to see if they can execute it.

It's not the concept I'd run, but I see it...

(since you're asking, I'd make things simple 80% of the time with a 4-2-5 that can mix/match Cover 1 / Cover 3, depending on alignment, motion, route progressions, and weekly scouting of the other team...)

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Apparently UTSA’s QB just announced he’s returning for a 6th season and they are getting a bunch of starters back. Maybe something changes in the next 10 months but I don’t know how anyone can have confidence right now that we beat UTSA next year. I know their schedule is crap but they are a well coached team.

I don't know how many can come back, large chunk of their team was RS SR and GR SR.  It had to be one of the most SR laden teams this year. 

20 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Sark only gets a pass bc it’s year 1. bringing PK back would be the same kind of stupid decision as retaining Shawn Watson after Charlie Strong’s first year. 

From a results in year 1 at Texas with limited players standpoint, yes. 

From a career results standpoint, not even close.

34 minutes ago, Snacks said:

It is a mess... right now.  Because it requires safeties (and CBs) to know wtf they're doing when we bring a NB blitz, roll a safety and the CB needs to, at a minimum, be in the vicinity of a receiver until the safety is in the area.

We have DBs, that I won't name or number, that seem to break down every week, right when you think "they got it!"

You have to teach the concept and call it, to see if you have the players to run it... and then you keep teaching it and running it to see if they can execute it.

It's not the concept I'd run, but I see it...

(since you're asking, I'd make things simple 80% of the time with a 4-2-5 that can mix/match Cover 1 / Cover 3, depending on alignment, motion, route progressions, and weekly scouting of the other team...)

I dont know if you looked at the videos I posted, but the defense doesnt look anything like that. They were an aggressive cover 3 base defense, with CBs up on the LOS. You had 1 deep safety and I mean deep and the other was up near the box.. Now he is running off coverage at the CB spot and 2 deep safeties both playing at depth and backpedaling on the snap. I am talking about the basics. He went from a Cover 3 shell to a Cover 4 shell. He went from aggressive alignment to the most passive possible alignment. It is just hard to figure out why, especially with 2 Senior multi-year starting CBs 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

Then go ahead and fire Sark, too... and whomever comes in next season.

Sark doesn’t have some sterling rep and record as HC. If it makes you feel better, I wasn’t impressed with his hire in the first place. He does seem to be pretty good at designing and calling plays.

Losing to Kansas in football should be a fireable offense anyway. Unless it was a Mangino coached team.

Fans, admins, talking heads, etc can wishcast all they want for "stability," but if we have another rough year next year, which seems likely, particularly on defense, PK is gone (he should be gone now).  Sark will be coaching for his job at that point, and he's not falling on his sword for PK.  Failing head coaches almost always do a staff reboot on the way out, and it almost never works, here or elsewhere. There's nothing particularly unique about UT in that regard - it happens all over football.  The only thing arguably unique about us is we suck at hiring head coaches - that's why we've had so much roster turnover and instability. It's a symptom, not a disease.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I dont know if you looked at the videos I posted, but the defense doesnt look anything like that. They were an aggressive cover 3 base defense, with CBs up on the LOS. You had 1 deep safety and I mean deep and the other was up near the box.. Now he is running off coverage at the CB spot and 2 deep safeties both playing at depth and backpedaling on the snap. I am talking about the basics. He went from a Cover 3 shell to a Cover 4 shell. He went from aggressive alignment to the most passive possible alignment. It is just hard to figure out why, especially with 2 Senior multi-year starting CBs 

I absolutely looked at it... and I can tell you why I think it looks like it looks:

1. One of the starting safeties was a transfer WR last year, and the other starting safety doesn't seem to know what he's supposed to be doing.

2. The LBs are not capable of creating pocket pressure.

3. So... Try to keep everything in front of you and make offenses drive the field... (which has not worked)

4. The cover 4 shell is a Terry Joseph thing... (I believe).

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I absolutely looked at it... and I can tell you why I think it looks like it looks:

1. One of the starting safeties was a transfer WR last year, and the other starting safety doesn't seem to know what he's supposed to be doing.

2. The LBs are not capable of creating pocket pressure.

3. So... Try to keep everything in front of you and make offenses drive the field... (which has not worked)

It doesn’t matter what scheme he’s running. The players have quit on him. He has failed to motivate and he may never be able to get players to buy back in. I don’t care what he did previously, he’s failing. Failure should come with accountability.

Alternatively, I’d recommend not to expect anything but the same results next year. Except not a single coach will survive losing to Kansas twice 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It doesn’t matter what scheme he’s running. The players have quit on him. He has failed to motivate and he may never be able to get players to buy back in. I don’t care what he did previously, he’s failing. Failure should come with accountability.

Alternatively, I’d recommend not to expect anything but the same results next year. Except not a single coach will survive losing to Kansas twice 

This I can get with... This is what (ultimately) got Strong fired.  The players gave zero fuchs at that point... (granted, it was year 3, not year 1... to me, getting quit on in year 3 is worse.)

• Hook 'Em 1

That’s what PK teaches 
Does he? How would we know?

He was a safety to start with at Oregon, right? Then moved to wr and then came to Texas.

Tackling is so bad, I miss the alligator rolls vs bear hug tackling. Im that battered. 

Saw TJ Watt alligator roll a QB and it was vicious. You want your defenders to use everything in their arsenal. Our situation is highlighted by lack of team pursuit and contain. If defenders are constantly put in one-on-one situations, they will lose battles and lose confidence.

I dont understand what PK is trying to do, but dont think he’s the right fit here.
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Does he? How would we know?

He was a safety to start with at Oregon, right? Then moved to wr and then came to Texas.

He started at Safety as a Freshman at Oregon... then moved to WR and played 3 years at WR... (why didn't he stay at Safety?)  Then transferred to UA... Then covid transferred to UT... and played WR... (again, why didn't he stay at Safety)... and this season moved back to Safety... I guess he's a good tackler?  He is not a starting Safety, imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

^^^ these are some of the questions that I wish we could hear the coaches comment on and get their thinking. The UW scheme is different at almost every position.

Separate thread / post: This is not a players thing, it is entirely on the staff for scheme, personnel choices, development, and even motivation. Five losses in a row plus two more (likely) in a mediocre big12 including giving up 50+ to Kansas is coaching. This is a Texas excuse every single year and it's a scape goat. We have other (albeit often young) corners, safeties, and lbs that could play and / or be moved around (ford, gbenda, Blackwell, coffe, adimora, cook -- plays less now with heavy, dorbah, richardson, and whoever else). I am not suggesting we win the big 12, but blaming players for this is a joke. You can see the offenses potential, the defense is a complete failure. We are ranked 100+ in the country for D. With high three and four star guys on the bench. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

Both UW and ND were about 50/50 teams last year.  One of the primary reasons both teams went Cover 3 is that 4-2 Overs leave an interior gap open and Cover 3 allows a safety to be there.  We don't play as much 4-down, so we don't play as much Cover 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?