Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

He refuses to deviate from his scheme to fit the talent he has.

Nor does he adjust his gameplan to attack the opponents' weaknesses (See Arkansas, Kansas, etc.). Nor does he appear to adjust formations based upon down, distance, or common sense.  Is it possible he has dementia?  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So what is needed to succeed with PK's scheme ??

What returning players for 2022 will have success in PK's scheme ?

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn autocorrect

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Which is why coaching in college football is really pretty shitty outside of a handful of guys. If all a coach brings to a table is a single scheme that he can only be successful with when it has "his" handpicked guys. Is said coach really worth a shit? 

I would hope a Defensive Coordinator at one of the biggest programs in college football has the ability to coach players and run schemes in multiple lineups. I know in my average career I played in a 4-4, 4-3, 3-4, 4-2-5. PK is a liability at this point and is just being another block head college coach that refuses to change and it should cost him his job. 

12 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Enough with the adjusted stats bullshit.  FEI defensive nonsense has us ranked #35 this year.  This is inarguably the worst defense we've had in modern memory.  

Miami finished 5th, 6th, and 1st in total defense in the ACC under Diaz as a DC, they were 11th the year prior to him getting there

La Tech finished 9th in the conference the year prior and finished 2nd in the year he was DC. 

He is a bad coach, but not a bad DC 

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think the issue is he has been unable to scout and put together a solid game plan. Even his old defenses did not play this loose in coverage, so I really can not figure it out. 

The Big 12 is filled with mediocre QBs. Contrary to any BS fallacy out there, the Big 12 does not have a bevy of high flying offenses. Texas continues to play 2 high safeties. Not only is it mostly 2 high looks, but PK has them deep. Consistently plays off coverage with the Cbs. Texas is playing offense whose success is predicated on the run with honest boxes. To double down on that mistake they are giving mediocre QBs easy throws underneath.  That is the real issue. I dont care about how he is using players and what defense he is using at this point, it is a complete failure in scouting. The defense is losing games on Sunday and Monday, before they even practice. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So what is needed to succeed with PK's scheme ??

What returning players for 2022 will have success in PK's scheme ?

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

None. He needs to be fired. 

This.  He needs to be fired.  The DT position should be our strongest unit on the team and we've neutered them in deference to our LB's (one is a fucking walk-on) and safeties.  Our defense is indefensible in the literal and physical sense.

No players coming up through the ranks are equipped to do much better and I highly doubt we can portal our way out of this shit scheme.

We were told he was multiple and could change schemes based on talent.  We've seen the exact opposite of that and I'm not sure whether it is pure incompetence or stubbornness.  But that doesn't matter at this point.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I think the issue is he has been unable to scout and put together a solid game plan. Even his old defenses did not play this loose in coverage, so I really can not figure it out. 

The Big 12 is filled with mediocre QBs. Contrary to any BS fallacy out there, the Big 12 does not have a bevy of high flying offenses. Texas continues to play 2 high safeties. Not only is it mostly 2 high looks, but PK has them deep. Consistently plays off coverage with the Cbs. Texas is playing offense whose success is predicated on the run with honest boxes. To double down on that mistake they are giving mediocre QBs easy throws underneath.  That is the real issue. I dont care about how he is using players and what defense he is using at this point, it is a complete failure in scouting. The defense is losing games on Sunday and Monday, before they even practice. 

I started with the most obvious. But yes. He’s complete dog shit will do as well. Haha

6 minutes ago, Jester said:

This.  He needs to be fired.  The DT position should be our strongest unit on the team and we've neutered them in deference to our LB's (one is a fucking walk-on) and safeties.  Our defense is indefensible in the literal and physical sense.

No players coming up through the ranks are equipped to do much better and I highly doubt we can portal our way out of this shit scheme.

We were told he was multiple and could change schemes based on talent.  We've seen the exact opposite of that and I'm not sure whether it is pure incompetence or stubbornness.  But that doesn't matter at this point.

he brought in guys from the portal to help with his scheme and they are "failures" too.  the OC's in this conference are better than the shitty PAC12 OC's.   the guy sucks donkey balls. we are getting fucking gashed in the run game every game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The biggest deterrent for replacing PK this year is the fact that you would have to guarantee the next guy $5 million plus to come here on a 3 year deal. If the admin is even somewhat shaky on Sark they will not pay the $3.4 million to can PK then guarantee $5 million to be paid out if Sark wets the bed in 2022. We should know within the next month how committed this program is to Sark's vision. 

22 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

CDC is close to Fat Pat. Fat Pat might set aside his disdain for Texas in service of his ego. Interested?

Tell me Pat doesn’t turn this down. 

3-5 mil a year 

Less responsibility

bring whenever you want with you coaching wise

be the guy to restore the defense at Texas to what it was.  

the last part will stroke his ego.  Worrying about only the defense is something he could do in his sleep at this point.  

IT Scoop:

Silly us for thinking Texas would get out of this season without coaching change speculation.

Primary Secondary Issues

We can’t emphasize enough how we don’t know how, or if, Steve Sarkisian plans to address the coaching staff. We do feel confident he’ll have the financial support to make any changes he deems necessary.

While some fans are ready to move on from defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski, we don’t yet know how likely that is. One reason being, PK has a long resume Sark may not want to discard after one season. That seems reasonable. We don’t ban a guy who goes off the rails if he has no prior history of it, do we @zzcheese?

Further reasoning would be the importance of continuity, the role lack of culture might play, and the fact PK has a pretty good recruiting class that fits his scheme coming in.

There are two more reasons that more directly relate to Sarkisian himself.

First, it took a long time to settle on Kwiatkowski. After conducting a handful of interviews and taking his time, Sark settled on PK, which was widely viewed as a fantastic hire. We at IT were certainly excited about it. If Sark wanted to make a move, who would he even turn to? People who didn’t want the job last time, or people he didn’t want last time?

The second reason hits even closer to Sarkisian, as our source who is a distant relative to the Chris Petersen tree, will discuss.

To set the stage, the source was exchanging messages with IT last Thursday about the overall Texas ecosystem. Over time it devolved to his specialty, defense.

“Yeah, the only hires that I didn’t like were for the secondary. More so because it was before the actual coordinator was hired. So now Joseph and Gideon are being asked to coach a style of defense, both scheme and mentality wise, that they’ve never coached.”

IT responded, “It never made sense to hire position coaches before the coordinator. Sark the OC should have known that even if Sark the HC didn’t.”

“Yup. Pete K has always been able to do a ton with the front while the guys in the secondary clean it up by creating rules within the system to “make it right.” Also Jimmy Lake and Marcel Yates (current Oregon DB coach) are really good at teaching leveraging the ball from a secondary perspective. It was destined to be a cluster. That doesn’t make Joseph and Gideon bad coaches. They’re just being asked to learn and coach on the fly and at UT people aren’t patient for that.”

Fast forward to Sunday, after the Kansas debacle, but more interestingly for this conversation, after this:

Along with sending this tweet, IT mentioned, “I’m guessing you think UT should try and hire Lake?”

“Lake or Yates. If they don’t, I’m not sure it’s going to work.”

“What about discussions about Lake and Kwiatkowski having a falling out of sorts?”

”They did, but I’m not sure what it was over so I don’t know if it’s something they could put behind them. I do think the power dynamics changed and they weren’t on the same page as far as coordinating so Pete left.”

“Okay, then what about Yates?”

”He has a good job at Oregon, but they should call him. Whether it’s Lake or Yates, they’re going to want to coach the whole
secondary. That’s just how the system works best.”

While we don’t know what Sarkisian’s intentions are, this interaction paints a pretty clear picture of what ails Texas this year and what needs to be addressed if Kwiatkowski is to return.

It also points to how curious it was when Sarkisian hired assistants before the coordinator.

• Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

3-5 mil a year 

Less responsibility

the last part will stroke his ego.  Worrying about only the defense is something he could do in his sleep at this point.  

He’ll be hired as a HC somewhere. I don’t think he takes a DC job, even for $$$$

Does anyone else have those very brief moments of surrealness when it sinks in we’re once again talking about wholesale changes on the staff?

It is a nightmare that just won’t end. Honestly you could have drawn names out of a hat in terms of building the last dozen plus staffs and done a better job. It’s like a mathematical impossibility at this point we find ourselves back in this position.

43 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

3-5 mil a year 

Less responsibility

Just tell him that when Sark is fired he can be interim HC

22 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Chris Petersen on Kwiatkowski: "He’s smart, and he just has no ego in this whole thing. And I think those guys are really hard and rare to find." 

How Pete Kwiatkowski, UW’s ‘evil genius’ coordinator, built the Huskies into the nation’s No. 1 defense

By  Adam Jude     Seattle Times staff     November 8, 2017

CQ3T1958.jpg?d=780x520

UW defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski has built the No. 1 defense in college football. (Erika Schultz/The Seattle Times)

Chris Petersen has conveniently forgotten his first meeting with his defensive coordinator. It happened on Sept. 14, 1985, before a crowd of 17,654 at Bronco Stadium in Boise, Idaho, a year before that stadium would be decorated with its infamous blue turf.

Petersen was the standout junior quarterback at UC Davis then, and his Aggies were going up against a Boise State defense that featured an undersized sophomore defensive lineman named Pete Kwiatkowski.

Kwiatkowski hasn’t forgotten what happened next. His first sack of the season was a takedown of Petersen, and it aided Boise State in its 13-9 takedown of Davis.

More than three decades later, Petersen on Wednesday laughed at the memory. That is, at Kwiatkowski’s memory. Petersen doesn’t remember the alleged play — only that Kwiatkowski likes to rub it in every once in a while.

“I’d like to see him find the film on that,” Petersen cracked.

Petersen, no doubt, has loved what he’s been seeing from Kwiatkowski’s defense at UW.

The Huskies rank as the No. 1 defense in major-college football and are on their way to leading the Pac-12 in several major statistical categories for the third consecutive season under Kwiatkowski’s direction.

Since Kwiatkowski’s first season as defensive coordinator in 2014, the Huskies’ points allowed has been cut by more than half — from 24.8 points per game in 2014 to 11.1 this season. UW now ranks as the best scoring defense in the Pac-12 since Pete Carroll was roaming the USC sideline in 2008.

“It all starts with Coach K. He’s one of the best coaches I’ve ever been around in my entire life,” UW middle linebacker Ben Burr-Kirven said. “He knows more about football than almost anyone on this staff. I couldn’t even tell you what this would look like without him.”

Burr-Kirven called Kwiatkowski an “evil genius.”

“He spends so much time in the film room, seeing what (the opponent) is doing, and every week he comes out with some new scheme we haven’t seen, some little tweak that gives us an edge that you’re not really going to get from another coach,” he said.

As a 255-pound defensive lineman at Boise State, Kwiatkowski had 15.0 sacks, 24.0 tackles for loss as a senior in 1987. He was named the Big Sky defensive player of the year and a Division I-AA All-American that year.

He returned to Boise State in 2006 when he was named the Broncos’ D-line coach before Petersen’s first season as the head coach there. (Petersen hired him even though Kwiatkowski reminded Petersen about that sack 21 years earlier. “That really irritated me,” Petersen said Wednesday.)

No assistant coach has been with Petersen longer than Kwiatkowski. (UW strength and conditioning coach Tim Socha has also been with Petersen since 2006 and, like Kwiatkowski, is considered one of Petersen’s closest allies.)

“He’s one of those few guys that I’ve been around that all he wants to do is do the right thing for the team and the defense,” Petersen said. “He doesn’t care whose idea it is. … He’s smart, and he just has no ego in this whole thing. And I think those guys are really hard and rare to find, especially a guy that has been really successful.”

Petersen praised Kwiatkowski for his ability to take complex schemes and teach them in a way players can absorb and apply on the field.

“We’re a big believer in, football’s not that complicated,” Kwiatkowski said. “There’s a lot of nuance and detail that goes into what we do, but at the end of the day it’s about striking blocks, getting off blocks, tackling, covering. We try to keep it that simple with our guys so they can play fast. And then the carry over schematically — we have some changeups here and there so offenses can’t dial us up.

“But at the end of the day, it’s fundamental football.”

In Kwiatkowski first season as Boise State’s defense coordinator, in 2010, the Broncos led the nation in yards per play allowed (3.98). The Huskies this season rank No. 1 in that category, at 3.71, the fewest yards per play allowed by any defense in college football since 2011 (Alabama).

“It’s pretty cool to be a part of this,” Burr-Kirven said. “The thing I think is most special about it is, every year I’ve been here we’ve had a good defense, but I think we haven’t gotten complacent with that. I think that’s the biggest thing. It’s easy if you do well to keep doing that same thing, but Coach K, Coach (Jimmy) Lake, Coach (Bob) Gregory — all those guys, they never settle. They’re always looking for that next little advantage we can have. I think that’s the biggest reason we are where we are right now.”

Kwiatkowski sort of shrugs off the compliments that are coming his way. He says he does not need the credit.

“I do not. I honestly do not,” Kwiatkowski said. “I got into coaching because I wanted to stay in the game of football when I could not play anymore. I love the camaraderie with the coaches and the players and obviously competitive in the sense that whatever you do you want to be the best at it and you want to see improvement out of your guys.”

The Huskies’ success the past two seasons has naturally led some to speculate about head-coaching opportunities for UW assistants. Offensive coordinator Jonathan Smith and co-defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake have both been mentioned as potential candidates for the Oregon State job.

Kwiatkowski would seem to be on a similar path, but he also seems perfectly content as a defensive coordinator and in a perfect place with Petersen.

“Never say never,” he said, “but that’s something I’m not chasing. I’m not out there beating the bushes for that type of opportunity (as a head coach). I really like what I do and I like who I work with and work for, and I like the culture of the program. All that stuff means a lot more to me than other things.

“It’s still a success-oriented business. I never lose sight of that,” he added. “You’re only as good as your next season, so that motivates me just as much as all the other things. But working for a guy like Coach Petersen, there’s no question it motivates you in an awesome, positive way. The working conditions are what I want.”

Did PK fall on his head after coming to Texas ???  😋

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Chris Petersen on Kwiatkowski: "He’s smart, and he just has no ego in this whole thing. And I think those guys are really hard and rare to find." 

How Pete Kwiatkowski, UW’s ‘evil genius’ coordinator, built the Huskies into the nation’s No. 1 defense

Yea, something doesn't add up. He goes from stellar to cellar when he joined the Texas staff. We seemed to be just a cancerous program right now 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Miami finished 5th, 6th, and 1st in total defense in the ACC under Diaz as a DC, they were 11th the year prior to him getting there

La Tech finished 9th in the conference the year prior and finished 2nd in the year he was DC. 

He is a bad coach, but not a bad DC 

Can't really argue with you there - he was bad here, but has been pretty good elsewhere. 

55 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

yeah, it hard to connect Petersons praise and PKs prior results with what we've seen here this season... Really, really would love for PK to be interviewed on things right now

• Rage+1 1

From the stands view, I observed the first two times we stopped them was was when we ran a heavy front with Alfred Collins at end. It clogged lanes so the middling KU RB was not running full speed into the secondary. Our back 7 really needs the game slowed down.

Our problems start on the line as they are too light in running situations. Seeing Jett Bush or Ovie paired opposite a smallish Ray Thornton meant that they have no chance. What am I missing?

The mismatch of personnel is bizarre. Is it stubbornness? Derka trigger warning: in 2010 Rick Barnes’ squad started 17-0 and then lost 9 of the next 16. In one game I watched, I saw Dexter Pittman, Justin Mason, and Dogus Balbay on the court at the same time. All 3 had parts of their game that were exceptional and you needed to get them minutes. But they couldn’t play together because none of them could shoot a wide open outside shot. Barnes did not want to make the tough decisions, lose defense, and experience. So this amazing team underperformed, lost confidence, and floundered.

Jett Bush and Ovie are pass rush specialists and should only play in obvious passing situations. Which was about 6 plays in the god forsaken game.

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

“We’re a big believer in, football’s not that complicated,” Kwiatkowski said. “There’s a lot of nuance and detail that goes into what we do, but at the end of the day it’s about striking blocks, getting off blocks, tackling, covering. We try to keep it that simple with our guys so they can play fast. And then the carry over schematically — we have some changeups here and there so offenses can’t dial us up.

We don't see any of this...

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Does anyone else have those very brief moments of surrealness when it sinks in we’re once again talking about wholesale changes on the staff?

It is a nightmare that just won’t end. Honestly you could have drawn names out of a hat in terms of building the last dozen plus staffs and done a better job. It’s like a mathematical impossibility at this point we find ourselves back in this position.

The best part is that on some boards they're saying shit like this:

"We gotta let PK reset his defensive staff and see what he has next year with his guys"

like lmao this dude is calling one of the worst defenses in program history that gave up tons of yards and points to fucking Kansas. 

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The best part is that on some boards they're saying shit like this:

"We gotta let PK reset his defensive staff and see what he has next year with his guys"

like lmao this dude is calling one of the worst defenses in program history that gave up tons of yards and points to fucking Kansas. 

Few things. Sark certainly screwed up hiring a defensive staff before he hired his DC. That is a sh!tty situation for a Coordinator. That fuck up is on Sark and he knows it.  Sark has to make changes on the defense. He is either going to replace PK or fix his mistake on hiring Joseph and Gideon. Something has to change. It is in Sark's court now. IF he retains PK, then getting Jimmy Lake has to be priority #1. I honestly cant figure out what went wrong with PK. I dont think he just suddenly turned into a total moron, but at the same time his game plans have been epically bad. That is before you factor in poor execution. It either he is a complete fraud or he doesnt trust the secondary. I dont which one is  correct. Either way something has to change

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, Codaxx said:

Few things. Sark certainly screwed up hiring a defensive staff before he hired his DC. That is a sh!tty situation for a Coordinator. That fuck up is on Sark and he knows it.  Sark has to make changes on the defense. He is either going to replace PK or fix his mistake on hiring Joseph and Gideon. Something has to change. It in Sark's court now. IF he retains PK, then getting Jimmy Lake has to be priority #1. I honestly cant figure out what went wrong with PK. I dont think he just suddenly turned into a total moron, but at the same time his game plans have been epically bad. That is before you factor in poor execution. It either he is a complete fraud or he doesnt trust the secondary. I dont which one is  correct. Either way something has to change

Allegedly Lake and PK aren’t on the best of terms. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Allegedly Lake and PK aren’t on the best of terms. 

If Sark can not get someone to run the secondary that PK trusts, than the decision is easy. Whether it is 100% on PK or is 100% on the defensive staffs chemistry, something needs to change for next year. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Obviously our safeties are horrific, but I’m chuckling at the idea it’s the DB coaches who need to go.  PK himself and the guy he did pick, Choate, are the ones coaching the LBs and Edge players.  PK and Choate are the ones who were allowed to bring in 4 transfers for their own positions while the other defensive coaches weren’t allocated any.   And PK and Choate’s positions are arguably the worst on the team anyway.

PK supposedly is recruiting ok, although I think that’s really just Anthony Jones, and Bo Davis was responsible for the other DE commits, right?  Choate does not look like a plus recruiter.  

The “PK inner circle” guys aren’t even the position coaches I would want to keep.  Gideon at least probably has more upside as a recruiter.  

no. Finkley was PK and Gideon. Tapp was PK and Joesph. D Brown was Choate and PK. That is according to 247

Our problems start on the line as they are too light in running situations. Seeing Jett Bush or Ovie paired opposite a smallish Ray Thornton meant that they have no chance. What am I missing?

Jett Bush and Ovie are pass rush specialists and should only play in obvious passing situations. Which was about 6 plays in the god forsaken game.

We are small, but that wasn’t really the issue in this game. They had 17 3rd downs. We only had 11. They converted 11, us 7. That’s not to say our run D was good. But we lost because we couldn’t stop 3rd down. And the passing game.

Every 3rd down they had was an attempted pass except the Qb sneak. First one of the game was a QB scramble. Some were 3rd and short; some were 3rd and long. We stopped them because they didn’t complete it on 3rd. (Not sure in overtime as the game play by play was not showing)

Their QB was damn good and was the difference in the game.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Few things. Sark certainly screwed up hiring a defensive staff before he hired his DC. That is a sh!tty situation for a Coordinator. That fuck up is on Sark and he knows it.  Sark has to make changes on the defense. He is either going to replace PK or fix his mistake on hiring Joseph and Gideon. Something has to change. It is in Sark's court now. IF he retains PK, then getting Jimmy Lake has to be priority #1. I honestly cant figure out what went wrong with PK. I dont think he just suddenly turned into a total moron, but at the same time his game plans have been epically bad. That is before you factor in poor execution. It either he is a complete fraud or he doesnt trust the secondary. I dont which one is  correct. Either way something has to change

that fuck up is on Kevin Eltife.  part of the vetting process is knowing who your head coach has for coordinators and this dipshit only had to hire one because he is the other one.

Too many of our players on defense seem to think that their task is to engage blockers and stay engaged with them until the whistle blows. I don’t know if shedding blocks is an ability that is taught or a natural talent, but our players don’t have it. Also there are some guys who seem to not want to sacrifice their bodies. Those players should be identified in the film room and kicked off the team immediately.

This offseason we should make room to have 40 scholarships available.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

that fuck up is on Kevin Eltife.  part of the vetting process is knowing who your head coach has for coordinators and this dipshit only had to hire one because he is the other one.

You know you can just go outside and yell at the clouds to make yourself feel better. You dont need to rant at every post like a constipated old man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Their QB was damn good and was the difference in the game.

No. This is unacceptable. He was never in duress and we didn’t scheme against the option and screen game Kansas was running. We allowed him to over-perform because the defense was out of position and failing to put any fucking effort into the game. There’s only about 2 people on that side of the ball that give a shit. 

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?