Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

Guys arguing against firing PK need their heads checked. We can’t possibly be worse than this year if we change coordinators, so what’s the down side?  Any of you think keeping PK makes it more likely we will be better next season? You’re all nuts

Continuity for recruiting maybe?

Maybe letting him figure things out since he had the best resume of coordinators that made themselves available to us?

Because we got shutout on muschamp already?

Because we should attempt to dissuade that we are a whiny bunch that have to win right now or heads will roll?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fuck You 1

52 minutes ago, vtaenz said:
55 minutes ago, Bevojosh said:

Name a successful d coordinator that has zero good upperclassmen, staff that he is not familiar with and younger guys not recruited for his defense.

It is easy to wish cast a suffocating attacking defense. Who wouldn’t want that. We aren’t there yet.

The coordinator churn over the last 10 years has not been the answer, so why keep doing it.

Have some fucking patience.

You seem like you have cuck energy. No thank you.

Somebody has cuck energy on the brain.

43 minutes ago, Bevojosh said:

Continuity for recruiting maybe?

Maybe letting him figure things out since he had the best resume of coordinators that made themselves available to us?

Because we got shutout on muschamp already?

Because we should attempt to dissuade that we are a whiny bunch that have to win right now or heads will roll?

Figure things out?  This isn't on the job training.  He's already supposed to know the job.  What we've learned is he can't coordinate an entire front and back end defense and apparently didn't bother to learn to do so while he was co-coordinating with Lake and Yates.  He didn't bother to learn how they did their jobs on anything more than a surface level or we wouldn't be in this mess.  That says to me he's intellectually lazy and only cared to do his specific job well in his one system.  Continuity? Please... he needs to show he's worth the effort because he looks in way over his head. 

I don't care what his resume was.  He's been shit here and it's looking very obvious that he was carried by Lake\Yates and a superior head coaching talent in Petersen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I understand the desire for stability and agree that we should be striving for it (I wanted to keep Ash for that reason) but at this point it’s just blatantly obvious that PK isn’t the guy to build around. Every level of the defense sucks, both in scheme and execution.

If we had a just below average D, I’d say ok fine give another year. But this is so much worse than that. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I understand the desire for stability and agree that we should be striving for it (I wanted to keep Ash for that reason) but at this point it’s just blatantly obvious that PK isn’t the guy to build around. Every level of the defense sucks, both in scheme and execution.

If we had a just below average D, I’d say ok fine give another year. But this is so much worse than that. 

Yeah this is where I'm at.

I want stability too.  I see green shoots on offense here and there.  And the guys Sark brought in on offense (Worthy and Keilan) are real contributors.

The defense is too terrible for words.

As much as I favor stability, I would nuke it from orbit to be sure.

The only reason to change is to bring a counter Sark type guy. Someone fiery, who gets the team emotionally in the right place. Someone who calls a good D but can also recruit well. To me Boom is that guy, but if you can't get him then don't just grab a different guy for the sake of grabbing a different guy. This is 4 DCs now that have struggled here under 4 different regimes. Its high time we start looking in the mirror.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, burdine said:

I want stability too.  I see green shoots on offense here and there.  And the guys Sark brought in on offense (Worthy and Keilan) are real contributors.

Yep no overhaul needed on offense. On that side, just need to fill a few roster holes (QB and OL)  and give them another year in the system. Not only have the results been solid, you can see even more open plays that are there and just not being executed.

Can’t say the same on D. Although I still don’t understand how they played so well the first half of every game until Kansas. I really can’t explain that one. 

• Like 1

I’m sorta here, but today was as much about the offense as defense. So was BU. So was OSU. So was Arkansas.

Even OU and KU, the offense had some flaws. 4 turnovers versus KU is unacceptable and ultimately was the difference in the game.

Now here’s a point in favor of these coaches. They are getting after recruiting on the defensive front. The last two weeks we’ve gotten crushed on 3rd down D. It all starts up front. In spite of having Ossai last year, our pass rush was atrocious. That’s the number #1 area to improve for next year.

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

The only reason to change is to bring a counter Sark type guy. Someone fiery, who gets the team emotional in the right place. Someone who calls a good D but can also recruit well. To me Boom is that guy, but if you can't get him then don't just grab a different guy for the sake of grabbing a different guy. This is 4 DCs now that have struggled here under 4 different regimes. Its high time we start looking in the mirror.

Would you take Freeman, if you couldn't get Boom?

Yeah, I know neither is happening?

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’m sorta here, but today was as much about the offense as defense. So was BU. So was OSU. So was Arkansas.

Even OU and KU, the offense had some flaws. 4 turnovers versus KU is unacceptable and ultimately was the difference in the game.

Now here’s a point in favor of these coaches. They are getting after recruiting on the defensive front. The last two weeks we’ve gotten crushed on 3rd down D. It all starts up front. In spite of having Ossai last year, our pass rush was atrocious. That’s the number #1 area to improve for next year.

We are top 20 in most offensive stats without a serviceable QB or OL and basically one frosh WR.  I like the performance given that is what they are working with.

The defensive staff has more to work with and is achieving way less.

2 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Would you take Freeman, if you couldn't get Boom?

Yeah, I know neither is happening?

Nope! We hired 4 sexy picks over the last 4 decades and all 4 failed. I know one guy who came here looked at an undersized guy named Earl Thomas and said he is my guy. Found a way to play tough, physical defense despite being undersized. Largely made this conference his bitch during his stay here. I will take the proven guy. Everyone else is the same dude. Good wherever they came from but not here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vtaenz said:
2 hours ago, Bevojosh said:

Name a successful d coordinator that has zero good upperclassmen, staff that he is not familiar with and younger guys not recruited for his defense.

It is easy to wish cast a suffocating attacking defense. Who wouldn’t want that. We aren’t there yet.

The coordinator churn over the last 10 years has not been the answer, so why keep doing it.

Have some fucking patience.

You seem like you have cuck energy. No thank you.

You know who usually calls other people cucks incessantly? I think you do. 

Stop ruining your good points with dumb shit 

UGa, Bama, Oregon, tOSU all run a 34 (Oregon bases out of 425 and 34), but tell us more about how 34 is shit in college...

I saw a lot of 2-4 today. I guess Collins is hurt, but if Thornton/Davis and Bush/Ofie are our edge players in a 4-man front, you cant possibly stop any offense. It was pitch and catch and then, the inevitable pounding of Leddie Brown.

I saw Broughton beat the crap of someone from a 3-man front on a passing down, but not too much after that.

If we lined up Collins/Broughton - Sweat/Colburn - Ojomo/Murphy, I dont care what we played on the back end, this would be a competitive unit. Thats a 3-man front. They would not be demoralized.

But you cannot run 2 DTs and a Tweener and hold up all season (see 1-armed Breckin Hager). Show me another good 2-man front team in D1. If there is one, its essentially a nickel with some zone blitzes.

I do not understand what they’re trying to do out there.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We are top 20 in most offensive stats without a serviceable QB or OL and basically one frosh WR.  I like the performance given that is what they are working with.
The defensive staff has more to work with and is achieving way less.

The Ol narrative needs to end. Roschon and Keilan both averaged over 5 yards per carry today. Neither 100%. They average over 6 for the season. Bijan slightly under 6. Not sure what world we’d expect everybody getting 7 yards a tote.

It is serviceable. It’s actually probably better than that. Far from perfect, far from dominant. But yes it needs to improve for next year.

Receivers dropped some easy ones today. QBs weren’t good. Our ball distribution is not good. QB or play calling? No idea.

All that to say I am not disagreeing the offense has shown quite a few signs of life to provide hope for next year.

Last year, we had only 17 sacks, 5 were Ossai. We were not good last year. We’re not good this year. The last two weeks alone there were 23-37 on 3rd down in large part because we can’t get to the QB. Hence my point in addressing the front in recruiting. Maybe they know something. The defense is awful. I hate the scheme. We’ve had more guys get a decent number of reps than I can remember but the results are the same. It all changes if we can create negative plays with the rush.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, DiceHands said:

I think hes donezoes after this year.  And if he is, I hope he takes the special teams embarrassment with him too. 

Huh? Special teams have been good this year. Banks might be the safest assistant coach on the staff even with Monkeygate.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Stupid players make stupid plays. 
Dunn with personal foul, Thompson with yet another terrible INT. 
Boxes of rocks. 
We have death spiral of dumb coaches and dumb players. Just stepping on their own dicks. 

I think that late INT was on a WR. There is no way the play is designed to have two guys run a post to damn near the same spot.

I think Sark and PK are a bad fit. PK seems to need a hard edged head coach/ physical offense to work with his defense. That’s not what we have, and the defense fails as they spend more time in the field. I was excited for his hire, but this is awful. Just need to learn that Sark needs a fiery opposite, cut bait, and move on. 

Edited by LOHorn
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Stupid players make stupid plays. 
Dunn with personal foul, Thompson with yet another terrible INT. 
Boxes of rocks. 

Have you seen Casey and Card speak? Casey is clearly the smart one. His thumb is super fucked though. I don't know how he physically practices during the week

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I saw a lot of 2-4 today. I guess Collins is hurt, but if Thornton/Davis and Bush/Ofie are our edge players in a 4-man front, you cant possibly stop any offense. It was pitch and catch and then, the inevitable pounding of Leddie Brown.

I saw Broughton beat the crap of someone from a 3-man front on a passing down, but not too much after that.

If we lined up Collins/Broughton - Sweat/Colburn - Ojomo/Murphy, I dont care what we played on the back end, this would be a competitive unit. Thats a 3-man front. They would not be demoralized.

But you cannot run 2 DTs and a Tweener and hold up all season (see 1-armed Breckin Hager). Show me another good 2-man front team in D1. If there is one, its essentially a nickel with some zone blitzes.

I do not understand what they’re trying to do out there.

Yes... PK runs a 2-4 as his base. The goal is to have 2 DT that are disruptors and block eaters... We should have that, but they're not that (and may never want to be).  The LBs are supposed to wreck, instead, they are the wreck. There is a major breakdown at LB. 

In theory, the 245 should be able to be 335 or even a light 425 (like today) that can play the run. We are not there, and it looks really bad.

3 hours ago, RabidM said:

Throw $5 million at Muschamp.  Sound crazy?  Head coaching salaries are going to be $12 million plus in the next couple years.  Coordinator salaries are going up as well.  If Elko leaves aggie, they'll throw at least that much at Muschamp and make him say no.  We need to use our considerable resources... Sark needs an elite DC.   

I'd rather split that extra $3m up on some players

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Yes... PK runs a 2-4 as his base. The goal is to have 2 DT that are disruptors and block eaters... We should have that, but they're not that (and may never want to be).  The LBs are supposed to wreck, instead, they are the wreck. There is a major breakdown at LB. 

In theory, the 245 should be able to be 335 or even a light 425 (like today) that can play the run. We are not there, and it looks really bad.

At least he was way more diverse today. Saw more man, not that it helped. Sent the LBs more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, LOHorn said:

I think Sark and PK are a bad fit. PK seems to need a hard edged head coach/ physical offense to work with his defense. That’s not what we have, and the defense fails as they spend more time in the field. I was excited for his hire, but this is awful. Just need to learn that Sark needs a fiery opposite, cut bait, and move on. 

I agree - this isn't a good fit. I don't know if it's because Sark is focused on running the offense or what. I thought Choate would help PK, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Somehow, the defense is less than the sum of its parts.

• Hook 'Em 1

play a very soft zone coverage which allows the WR to easily find the hole. The QB has all day, with no pass rush, and with a good thumb easily delivers the strike to friend. LBers are scattered trying to catch up with their assignments.   

So how did Louisiana and Rice not figure this out? 

Why isn't Prince playing?

At what point do you also have to make a change just because the players lose faith in PK? I don't think Sark's offense is anywhere near that point, but I'm sure some guys are starting to question whether PK and co know what they're doing. Maybe they aren't there yet but it's very possible.

26 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

play a very soft zone coverage which allows the WR to easily find the hole. The QB has all day, with no pass rush, and with a good thumb easily delivers the strike to friend. LBers are scattered trying to catch up with their assignments.   

So how did Louisiana and Rice not figure this out? 

Why isn't Prince playing?

I saw more man today, than probably I saw all year. I did find it interesting that when Texas went aggressive in coverage WV went after Cook and Jamison, that’s with a new starter at Cb. WV’s scouting report was on point. Zone seems to riddle Texas, been a long time since they ran a decent zone coverage. They still were predominantly zone and the issue is they drop to spots like it’s pop Warner. No awareness of WRs coming into their zones 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Looks like Nickel to me. But I was replying to the debate about 3-4 defense, as if thats what we ran today. We ran 326 on passing downs and dropped 8 and did some blitzes.

At the end of the day, we’re a laughing stock. Cue King Agamemnon laughing and pointing gif to represent opposing teams scouting us.

We’re losing games before they start at this point.
  • Rage+1 1

Nope! We hired 4 sexy picks over the last 4 decades and all 4 failed. I know one guy who came here looked at an undersized guy named Earl Thomas and said he is my guy. Found a way to play tough, physical defense despite being undersized. Largely made this conference his bitch during his stay here. I will take the proven guy. Everyone else is the same dude. Good wherever they came from but not here.
True, but I think he was in charge of linebackers. His recruiting and development of linebackers while he was here was not good.
My memory is fuzzy but he may have lost out on several LB he was recruiting and went with his 2nd and 3rd choice but that was a really bad spot on this team under him.

5 hours ago, RabidM said:

Throw $5 million at Muschamp.  Sound crazy?  Head coaching salaries are going to be $12 million plus in the next couple years.  Coordinator salaries are going up as well.  If Elko leaves aggie, they'll throw at least that much at Muschamp and make him say no.  We need to use our considerable resources... Sark needs an elite DC.   

This. The payscale is changing rapidly and we're about to be pulling in a lot more money in the SEC. Michigan State is about to be paying their unproven HC $9.5mm/year while we are at ~$6mm. 

If we aren't going to spend up on the HC, better make up for it elsewhere. Make Muschamp or Lanning an offer they can't refuse. 

*I know Lanning already said no last offseason, but we surely didn't offer $3mm (he makes 1.8)

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 1

I saw more man today, than probably I saw all year. I did find it interesting that when Texas went aggressive in coverage WV went after Cook and Jamison, that’s with a new starter at Cb. WV’s scouting report was on point. Zone seems to riddle Texas, been a long time since they ran a decent zone coverage. They still were predominantly zone and the issue is they drop to spots like it’s pop Warner. No awareness of WRs coming into their zones 

I’d say so on the man D. I would have liked to try that before today. We would have had more options with Thompson. LBers drop without a clue as to down and distance or what’s happening around them. Blackwell didn’t get much run but saw him dropping in zone a couple times.

23-37 on 3rd downs the last two weeks. A strong majority of those passing.

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

I’m talking football IQ. Can give a fuck what his gpa is

Unless CT was just lying his ass off, he's a well spoken film rat. But I guess you think CT just forgot how to throw the ball to receivers? Or that his play from Colorado through the 1st half vs OU prior to the thumb injury was beginner's luck? You think his play of late is indicative of a lack of football IQ or arm strength and NOT thumb injury-induced suckage? Cool, cool.

26 minutes ago, B00M said:

Unless CT was just lying his ass off, he's a well spoken film rat. But I guess you think CT just forgot how to throw the ball to receivers? Or that his play from Colorado through the 1st half vs OU prior to the thumb injury was beginner's luck? You think his play of late is indicative of a lack of football IQ or arm strength and NOT thumb injury-induced suckage? Cool, cool.

He’s made a number of bad throws resulting in INT. I think Card isn’t answer either. There is no QB controversy for me. Neither of them are the answer. The QB position at Texas is wandering the desert right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B00M said:

What’s your opinion on TCU, prior to the thumb? Any opinion on why the thumb was such a detriment vs ISU, better vs Kansas, and unbearable vs WV, outside of the defensive capabilities of those teams?

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?