Bourbon

Jimbaround

9 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

yes, but worth it.  that and blantons might be the two best bourbons on the market.  i buy both whenever i see them no matter how many i have on hand.  if all i drink is weller 12 and blantons for the rest of my life i'll die a happy man.

9/10. Very subtle, I appreciate that. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

yes, but worth it.  that and blantons might be the two best bourbons on the market.  i buy both whenever i see them no matter how many i have on hand.  if all i drink is weller 12 and blantons for the rest of my life i'll die a happy man.

I know it's become almost trite to say it, but I'd wholeheartedly agree, Blantons is about the smoothest, best tasting bourbon I've ever had.  If they could get a little higher octane, and not lose the smooth flavor, and notes, I'd die a happier man.  When I need quick results I go to my Rare Breed 116.8888888.....

When I do site job site visits, and come across ABC stores I always stop in for a search or log into the Va. ABC website to see what stores have what stock on the shelfs.

8 hours ago, RichUT said:

What the fuck is going on in here right now?

I think we’ve come 540* on Blanton’s and Wellerz 12 from hype to backlash back to love affair. 

In other news I haven’t dabbled in the secondary in a while so I went hard on a backup ‘90 RY, a ‘15 MBSR and a ‘14 10 yr small batch SAOS.  I’ve almost finished a half bottle of the RY stitzel.  It’s the Boone County 12 of 80 proof bourbon, so much better than the proof indicates and great for when you want bourbon flavor without getting buzzed.  

EEE62B3C-C7DD-47C0-B43C-4F4F6975CE41.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 6:26 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

I got it last week. 10 more sleeps until I start drinking again.

3ea6dc0ed97e9c251177806763c502fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it good juice?  Do we want to win Nattys with all of the good croots?  This sleeps shit needs to go away unless you are a 5 year old asking how long it is until Christmas or the release of the new Frozen movie.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Is it good juice?  Do we want to win Nattys with all of the good croots?  This sleeps shit needs to go away unless you are a 5 year old asking how long it is until Christmas or the release of the new Frozen movie.

Look, pal - not everyone measures their behavior on conventional intervals like "weeks" or "days." If the guy wants to speed up his life by taking midday naps or slow it down by staying up all night, more power to him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Haven't heard of too many people who have tried CH so I'm excited to crack er open. 

20210126_140047.jpg

i've tried it and liked it, but you're right it doesnt get a lot of  buzz.  if it were $10-20 cheaper i might buy more of it.  there's a lot of great bourbons out there in the $50 range, so i never went back for another of this one.

• Like 1

Long time lurker, finally registered and ponied up the treefiddy to escape the God-awful pop-ups.  I wanted my first post to be in this thread, for symbolic reasons.  I have made many a purchase based on reviews on this thread the last few years.  I look forward to contributing my own moving forward.

Now, back to the brown water.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

Long time lurker, finally registered and ponied up the treefiddy to escape the God-awful pop-ups.  I wanted my first post to be in this thread, for symbolic reasons.  I have made many a purchase based on reviews on this thread the last few years.  I look forward to contributing my own moving forward.

Now, back to the brown water.  

what's your favorite, and can you ship me some of it?

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

what's your favorite, and can you ship me some of it?

I'm not terribly picky, as long as it isn't Dickel.  That multivitamin aftertaste is disgusting.  And that is especially sad for me, because I drive within 2 miles of their distillery a couple of times a month and could pop in for special releases, etc.  My wife came back from Colorado last year with something from Breckenridge Distillery, I was all excited until I tasted it.  Obvious Dickel juice.

I'm usually searching for the value/bang for the buck picks.  Rarely buy a bottle over $60, and will regularly pay half that for quality stuff (OGC 114, EW BIB, etc.).  Recently made a run up into KY to buy some KY only releases, and was very impressed with Old Bardstown BIB, unique flavor considering I had never tried a Willett product before.  Apparently I'm a fan.  Anything out of the Buffalo Trace lines is my wheelhouse that most new ones are judged up against.  The hunt for something hard to come by without breaking the bank is almost as fun as the pour.  Almost.

Oh, and as for shipping?  Negative, Ghost Rider.

9 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

I'm not terribly picky, as long as it isn't Dickel.  That multivitamin aftertaste is disgusting.  And that is especially sad for me, because I drive within 2 miles of their distillery a couple of times a month and could pop in for special releases, etc.  My wife came back from Colorado last year with something from Breckenridge Distillery, I was all excited until I tasted it.  Obvious Dickel juice.

I'm usually searching for the value/bang for the buck picks.  Rarely buy a bottle over $60, and will regularly pay half that for quality stuff (OGC 114, EW BIB, etc.).  Recently made a run up into KY to buy some KY only releases, and was very impressed with Old Bardstown BIB, unique flavor considering I had never tried a Willett product before.  Apparently I'm a fan.  Anything out of the Buffalo Trace lines is my wheelhouse that most new ones are judged up against.  The hunt for something hard to come by without breaking the bank is almost as fun as the pour.  Almost.

Oh, and as for shipping?  Negative, Ghost Rider.

Jack Daniel's is just 18 miles from Dickel. 

You know what to do next time. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jack Daniel's is just 18 miles from Dickel. 

You know what to do next time. 

Been there, done that.  They have some good stuff, but I'm not a fan of the charcoal filtering in general.  Takes too much of the flavor wrinkles out, IMHO.  Recently bought a bottle of a new local distiller, Daddy Rack.  I'm not sure I could pick it apart from standard JD in a blind taste test.  Not in a bad way, just identical to my palate.

Weekend getaways to the Kentucky Bourbon Trail are more my thing.  Oh, and thanks for the reply.  I am more than a bit jealous of your collection!

3 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

Been there, done that.  They have some good stuff, but I'm not a fan of the charcoal filtering in general.  Takes too much of the flavor wrinkles out, IMHO.  Recently bought a bottle of a new local distiller, Daddy Rack.  I'm not sure I could pick it apart from standard JD in a blind taste test.  Not in a bad way, just identical to my palate.

Weekend getaways to the Kentucky Bourbon Trail are more my thing.  Oh, and thanks for the reply.  I am more than a bit jealous of your collection!

If you have tried the barrel strength JD stuff and don't like it, well, ok I guess.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

For those shying away from Blanton’s

image.thumb.png.faa42675ec6f65a18ea3e0ead4a69e9b.png

I'm sorry... flora, and fauna of New Hampshire ?  Meat flavored bourbon ?  There's a reason I've always had disdain for Yankees.  That advertisement just about sums it up.

Stick to maple syrup, and flannel shirt production ya fucking too close to Canada for comfort freaks......

• Like 1

I'm sorry... flora, and fauna of New Hampshire ?  Meat flavored bourbon ?  There's a reason I've always had disdain for Yankees.  That advertisement just about sums it up.
Stick to maple syrup, and flannel shirt production ya fucking too close to Canada for comfort freaks......

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

agreed. that sounds like a marketing ploy gone haywire.  bourbon for ll bean shoppers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

Hey @billfromlaketravis (or others), what’s the deal with the prideful goat bottle that the houston bourbon society guys picked out? 15 year bottle for $100 at specs 

Looks like 25 year, cask strength, Kentucky bourbon. It’d be hard to mess that up. I’m guessing it’s Heaven Hill. 

I believe BigD picked up a bottle. 

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Looks like 25 year, cask strength, Kentucky bourbon. It’d be hard to mess that up. I’m guessing it’s Heaven Hill. 

I believe BigD picked up a bottle. 

Specs midtown has quite a bit of it. I'll probably buy a bottle tomorrow when I grab some hopslam 

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

big order picked up curbside at k&l today.

redemption wheated refill (i keep finishing these)

eht single barrel store pick (excited to try)

sw u/u (about to finish my first) 

jp wiser's 23 year cask strength (never had it)

IMG_0361.jpg.8e7a2a052a410f3301b933e78ca67687.jpg

and the lotto winner...

IMG_0362.jpg.f3bfdc7f7f114ebde50088e490f05fc7.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg.0e00da991128d01134817611b66df856.jpg

try to keep it down.  she's sleeping.

Nice haul my man. That's some good stuff there.

I’m waiting on them to get it out to SA.  Hopefully they made enough to get it outside of just Houston and Dallas. 

It’s 15 year HH. It was a group pick between Houston Bourbon Society and Someone Say Whiskey(DFW group).
It’s only going to be in Houston and Dallas Specs.
It’s damn good.
I’ll be getting another when it drops in DFW
Hopefully this weekend.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2021 at 5:32 PM, Fud said:

Specs midtown has quite a bit of it. I'll probably buy a bottle tomorrow when I grab some hopslam 

Got a bottle earlier today. Saw this post on FB from two hours ago

“Anyone have an eye on prideful goat anywhere? I just had the last 2 bottles sold in front of me at the specs downtown.”

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is pretty good on a throwaway Thursday night. A less smokey 1910. 

I got two store picks I liked a lot, but the third was terrible (from the same store). The last bottle adds some nice funk to cocktails though 

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

I got two store picks I liked a lot, but the third was terrible (from the same store). The last bottle adds some nice funk to cocktails though 

I bought the half bottle to get my feet wet. 

Total Wine had a Jefferson’s Twin Oak pick that I loved. Probably the best I’ve tasted in the category. 

On 1/25/2021 at 10:39 AM, thrillhammer said:

Agree. Those two are by far my favorites.