Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

33 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You're probably wasting your time trying to explain racism to a Trumpkin. 

Again, where have I supported Trump? Other than China. I might as well call you a Christian fanatic.

Hell, look at all those 4 racist. Tons of racism, I mean most people got to jail for racism over there with no context.

• 3 weeks later...

Good for them for getting off the SS Eutanic. They're still doomed. Culturally, they're all on board with those who wish suicide to western civilization.

If your version of "justice" is little girls getting gang raped, so much so that you all but ban press coverage of it, you're lost. It's as if Joe PAterno was put in charge of your whole country and they just denied the scandal.

They're enacting the same economic policies that are killing the continent. GDP is still 10% lower than 2008. Their fertility rate is 1.68, well below steady state. They still believe in the "diversity is our strength" bullshit that is the heart of continental self abnegation. They arrest ten people per day for social media posts, because they think speech is the problem, not the problem is the problem.

The one hope is that they grow their economy, and shaking off the EU regulatory handcuffs will help. Franceis caught between denial and a hard place with only tough choices and lower living standards to look forward to. I suspect the same is true for the UK. 

Leaving the EU is a good first step. More people are employed now in the UK than ever before and unemployment is at historic lows. But it'll take a massive cultural shift to fix what's broken in the UK, and on the continent. The people in charge want no part of the solutions.

A pretty good opinion piece on the paradox of the Brexit fight for national sovereignty.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/26/independence-day-will-expose-brexit-as-ruse-to-free-an-imaginary-nation

But here there is a great irony: Britain is not and never has been a nation state. For most of its history as a state, it has been at the heart not of a national polity, but of a vast multinational and polyglot empire. And the UK is itself a four-nation amalgam of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. There is no single pre-EU UK “nation” to return to. There is no unified “people” to whom power is being returned. And this is the contradiction that the Brexit project cannot even acknowledge, let alone resolve.

Scotland and Northern Ireland rejected Brexit even more emphatically in the general election of 2019 than they had done in the referendum of 2016 and a clear majority of voters in the UK as a whole voted in 2019 for parties that promised a second referendum and an opportunity to stay in the EU. So while Johnson likes to talk of 31 January as “this pivotal moment in our national story”, there is neither a settled nation nor a shared story. Brexit is not Northern Ireland’s story. It is not Scotland’s story. It is not even London’s story. It is the national origin myth of the place that Anthony Barnett, co-founder of openDemocracy, calls “England without London”.

Edited by F250

This seemed like a polite way of telling Farage to GTFO and shove that flag up his ass. Seems fitting that it was an Irishwoman that told Farage to take his flag with him. I believe they just passed the 100 year mark on their declaration of independence.

Like America, the English were also drug into this mess by an immature, grandstanding asshole. While the jury is technically still out on the longterm standing of our two countries, I have a high degree of certainty that 2016 will be marked as the beginning of the end of global Anglo-American leadership.

P.S. Well played Putin.

Edited by bolverk
Check that. The End. The beginning of the end was the Bush/Blair push for Iraq 2.0.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Like America, the English were also drug into this mess by an immature, grandstanding asshole. While the jury is technically still out on the longterm standing of our two countries, I have a high degree of certainty that 2016 will be marked as the beginning of the end of global Anglo-American leadership.

P.S. Well played Putin.

Also, Cambridge Analytica and Steve Bannon. 

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

P.S. Well played Putin.

The thing is, the British voted basically twice on this that they wanted to leave. If Theresah May and a rouge parliament had actually gone with the vote, well Labour might still be a functional party right now. Corbyn should have told his party that they were going to leave like he wanted.

Otherwise 

On 1/30/2020 at 12:21 AM, workswithseed said:

The thing is, the British voted basically twice on this that they wanted to leave. If Theresah May and a rouge parliament had actually gone with the vote, well Labour might still be a functional party right now. Corbyn should have told his party that they were going to leave like he wanted.

Otherwise 

It may have been better in the short term for Labor to sign on to Leave. But in the long term, if Brexit blows up in the U.K.'s face and they have severe economic turmoil, the Tories own that disaster and could be voted out of office for a generation. I think Labor is smart to bet on turmoil as most economists agree Brexit is an idiotic endeavor. I guess we'll find out either way. 

Edited by Zombie

9 hours ago, bolverk said:

....I have a high degree of certainty that 2016 will be marked as the beginning of the end of global Anglo-American leadership.....

Well, history is subjective.  There are many facets to it and people decide for themselves what they think is important.  Personally, I think the 2007/2008 financial crisis marked the beginning of the end.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:05 PM, F250 said:

This seemed like a polite way of telling Farage to GTFO and shove that flag up his ass. Seems fitting that it was an Irishwoman that told Farage to take his flag with him. I believe they just passed the 100 year mark on their declaration of independence.

101 years, but yes that was celebrated 10 days ago. That's not a decision they've regretted at all, and I hope that the others follow suit very soon. In fact, if they really wanted to piss off the Farages of the world, they just need to announce that Scotland, Ireland (united), and Wales just changed their flags to this:

1024px-Banniel_Keltia.svg.png

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

101 years, but yes that was celebrated 10 days ago. That's not a decision they've regretted at all, and I hope that the others follow suit very soon. In fact, if they really wanted to piss off the Farages of the world, they just need to announce that Scotland, Ireland (united), and Wales just changed their flags to this:

1024px-Banniel_Keltia.svg.png

A Celtic Union that included Ireland, N. Ireland and Scotland would be a major fuck you to the Brexiters. Especially if it was a member of the EU. Then bringing Wales, Cornwall and the Isle of Man into the Celtic Union while leaving the "United Kingdom" just England would be a righteous ending to English rule. Yeah, I know this is fan fiction but it would be cool.

Realistically, Scotland and Ireland could always form some type of Union with Northern Ireland joining some day after they figure out what to do with the Unionists.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, F250 said:

A Celtic Union that included Ireland, N. Ireland and Scotland would be a major fuck you to the Brexiters. Especially if it was a member of the EU. Then bringing Wales, Cornwall and the Isle of Man into the Celtic Union while leaving the "United Kingdom" just England would be a righteous ending to English rule. Yeah, I know this is fan fiction but it would be cool.

Realistically, Scotland and Ireland could always form some type of Union with Northern Ireland joining some day after they figure out what to do with the Unionists.

Totally agree. The Pan-Celtic thing is pie in the sky, but a Scot-Irish union isn't too far off in the horizon if they play their cards right. 

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

There's really no need for them to have a separate union if they all go as individual states to the EU. 

Right, there'd be no need. Would just be a good "fuck you," as @F250put it so eloquently. And if they could get all 6, I say just go for it and call it the Celtic Union of Non-british Territories

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Map of the EU on Wiki has already been updated. Now, they have about a year of transition to figure out their trade and labor relationships (everything stays the same in the meantime). I'm sure there are a lot of UK citizens on the Continent (~1.5 million) and a whole bunch of Euros (~3 million) on the island who are nervous about their future status.

800px-Global_European_Union.svg.png

43 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If Scotland revisits independence and gets the fuck out, what happens to the UK sector of the North Sea oil fields?  A lot of them are off Scotland, not England.

Looks like most of it would go to the Scots.

cbr368.gif

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Congrats to England.  They will be fine.  

England will be fine. The United Kingdom on the other hand is at death's door. England like Constantinople will be the last vestige of a once great empire.

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Seems like companies are ditching the North Sea properties. I’m guessing the economics don’t work out anymore ?

North Sea always sucks when price of oil goes down, I'm trying to think long term and what happens when the price of oil bounces back; England gets fuck all from the rebound and Scotland cashes in.

How much of England's energy needs are provided by oil and gas from the Scottish sector?  Nice little bit of leverage the Scots could hold over the Poms.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Another interesting thing will be Gibraltar. EU is going to back Spanish claims. In the interim, Gibraltar is also going to be cut off economically from Spain and specifically excluded from any EU-UK trade deal. 

I am not even sure if this can be considered an unintended consequence of Brexit. The Spanish made their position known regarding Brexit and Gibraltar years ago and then the EU and UK chose not to address it during exit negotiations. On top of that the Remain vote in Gibraltar was 96%. Either this was gross incompetence or intentional sabotage on the part of the Brexiters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The finality of it all is coming. Stupid people voting and not fully comprehending what it fucking means. Nationalism is GREAT except when it inconveniences them, then it's the EUs fault.

https://i.redd.it/c8j3lmzwyz751.png

c8j3lmzwyz751.png

The world has an epidemic of people voting for "FUCK EVERYTHING!".....and then when their particular thing gets fucked, crying "WAIT....I didn't mean THAT THING!!!"

Our species is exceptionally stupid.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I have no idea what is going on in that story

Brit couple is living abroad in EU country, probably France. Since England is no longer part of EU, Brits will need Visas and/or dual citizenship to reside in an EU country. Brit couple has neither and will be living in said country illegally. But it's Brussels/EU fault for making Brits now having to have Visas or dual citizenships to live abroad.

BTW the couple voted for Brexit.

https://www.propertyguides.com/france/brexit/

Edited by crash_davis

27 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I've not seen any updates about this but am very curious. Anyone come across anything about how this is progressing (or not)?

It didn't quite work out for Sinn Fein despite coming in first in the general election. A centrist coalition was formed and they were able to keep Sinn Fein out of leadership with the appointment of Michael Martin as Prime Minister (Taoiseach). Sinn Fein is now the opposition party as of this weekend.