Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A Nolan kid should be looking at a different class of university academically than those listed in that profile. 
he should prefer to walk on here than get a scholarship to any of those. 

I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make. I have some good friends that went to Nolan and the way they talk about it, it sounds like a giant party school.

38 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A Nolan kid should be looking at a different class of university academically than those listed in that profile. 
he should prefer to walk on here than get a scholarship to any of those. 

Yeah no. I'd pick Arizona in his shoes. 

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: A few notes to lead into the week

Spoiler

Mike at Night: A few notes to lead into the week

MikeRoach

—I spoke briefly with 2022 Mansfield (Texas) Timberview defensive back Landon Hullaby this evening. I'll have a full update this week, but he was in the stadium Saturday to see his brother play. I'll have a full update later in the week, but it sounds like Hullaby will be at most games Texas plays this year. As it is still a dead period, face-to-face contact with coaches is not allowed, but he can attend games as a family member. Hullaby told me he thought the game was a lot of fun and he loved getting a good look up close at the Texas defense.

—Del Valle (Texas) five-star wide receiver Caleb Burton was also in the stadium. Prospects are not allowed to receive game tickets, but high school coaches are. Caleb's father is the head coach at Del Valle and can choose to bring whoever he wants. We have not yet been able to make contact with Caleb, but we are working on getting some feedback there. I'd have to think that Andre Coleman was pumped to show off that performance up close to the nation's top wide receiver prospect.

—Several sources near Baylor commit and Desoto (Texas) defensive tackle Byron Murphy indicated that Texas is starting to increase their contact. The three-star defensive tackle is teammates with Texas target Shemar Turner, but this isn't any sort of a calf/cow type of deal. Murphy is a fantastic player on the interior defensive line for the Eagles, and the only real knock against him is a lack of length. Still, Murphy is an absolute bull up front who is tough to stop because of his quickness and elite strength. He's a name to watch over the next few months.

—Texas extended an offer to 2022 Evanston (IL.) Township outside linebacker Sebastian Cheeks last week. This is a player Coleman Hutzler has been in contact with for a while, and they finally pulled the trigger. Ordinarily, I'm skeptical of out of state recruits, especially those who live in an area Texas doesn't consistently recruit well in. When I talked to Cheeks a few months ago he was really high on Texas, and when I talked to him last week he was very excited about the offer. I spoke to a midwest source who told me that Cheeks has always had an interest in visiting Texas and it seems that his interest is more than normal. Schools like Michigan and Notre Dame are high up for him and Ohio State could be a game-changer if they offer. That said, I'd expect him to at least make a visit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / The Stampede: Way too early prediction for 2022 defensive class

Spoiler

The Stampede: Way too early prediction for 2022 defensive class
MIKE ROACH

Football season is here.

In Texas, the levels from 4A and below have been playing for three weeks and the higher levels get started in practice today. College football also kicked off in the last wo weeks and the Longhorns will get things started this weekend.

Texas is still looking to close in 2021 but 2022 could be heating up soon. Texas struck a big blow landing five-star Southlake Carroll passer Quinn Ewers along with four-star Lancaster wide receiver Phaizon Wilson.

It’s never too early to wildly speculate what that 2022 class could look like, and that’s exactly what we are here to do with the help of early knowledge of the class. This week we will start with the offensive side of the ball.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, I take my first run at way too early predictions about how the 2022 class could ultimately come together on offense.

DEFENSIVE END (2-3)
Omari Abor, Duncanville (Texas)

This is likely a position where Texas will have to send out more offers because they don’t really stand out for any of their targets right now. Abor is the guy I’d give them the best odds on at the moment, and he’s been showing more attention to Texas over the last few months. If Joseph Ossai has a strong year rushing the passer and the defense proves to be dangerous, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Texas move into a strong spot for the south Dallas pass rusher.

Footnotes: There just isn’t a lot of meat at the position right now and I don’t feel confident predicting anyone else to Texas. Malick Sylla seems to like the SEC quite a bit while Ernest Cooper could be headed out of state. The rest of the Texas offers are for out of state prospects, and Texas will likely need to make new evaluations this fall.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE (2-3)

Bear Alexander, Denton (Texas) Ryan

Like the defensive end position, there will likely need to be more offers at the defensive tackle position.  In fact, Alexander is the only in-state defensive tackle with an offer from the Longhorns.  Alexander has alluded to committing soon, and he’s been talking with Texas often.  He’s also at Ryan which is home to Texas commits Billy Bowman and Ja’Tavion Sanders.  It’s not clear who the leader for Alexander is right now, but Texas is in as good of a spot as anyone for the big interior defender.

Footnotes: Take what was said about the defensive end position and emphasize it more here. There’s even less meat at this position for Texas and the staff doesn’t appear to be in a strong position with any of the out of state options at this point in time. Look for more evaluations and offers to go out this fall.

LINEBACKER (3-4)

Justin Medlock, Manvel (Texas)

Medlock is still fairly open, but the last visit he took was to Austin on the day the country shut down due to COVID-19. The Longhorns remain in contact with the ultra-productive Houston defender. Texas will have to battle out of state programs like Ohio State, but the Longhorns will be in the mix along with Texas A&M in state. Coleman Hutzler has been an effective recruiter so far, and Medlock would be a great start to that group.

Harold Perkins, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Park

Perhaps no defender in the state owns a higher ceiling than Perkins at this point. A versatile weapon with safety speed and linebacker size, Perkins is still wading through his college options. It’s tough to imagine Texas is the leader right now, but I’ve got a feeling about Hutzler and this 2022 class. If Medlock and Perkins can both be had by Texas, Hutzler deserves to be lauded as a strong recruiter.

Footnotes: The defensive side of the ball has a lot more uncertainty than the offense, and linebacker is right there with the defensive line when it comes to position groups that is thin and hard to read right now. Texas is generating legitimate interest from Evanston (IL) Township linebacker Sebastian Cheeks, but not much else is going on at the position. Martrell Harris is another in-state backer to watch, but Texas A&M and Mississippi State seem to be the leaders in that clubhouse right now.

CORNERBACK (2-3)

Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial

It’s odd to include Guilbeau when he didn’t put Texas in his Top 5, but I think the Longhorns end up with the southeast Texas defender. Jay Valai offered Guilbeau back in the early part of 2020 and recruited him hard since that time. Guilbeau and Valai have a strong relationship and Texas currently holds a commitment from Guilbeau’s teammate Jordon Thomas.

Denver Harris, Galena Park (Texas) North Shore

My 247Sports Crystal Ball is currently on Texas for the five-star cornerback, and I think Texas is in a prime position. It will take time to play out as Harris wants to make the most of the recruiting process, but Jay Valai is working at a maniacal pace for Harris. Even before Harris was offered, whispers were that he was a Texas fan. Ohio State and LSU will be tough to overcome, but a strong year and some momentum on the recruiting trail could help reel in Harris.

Isaac Thompson OR Domani Jackson OR Jaeden Gould

The way things are playing out early on, I feel Texas will absolutely win over one of its top out of state targets at the cornerback position. Thompson likes Michigan quite a bit, but he’s been very vocal about his interest level in Texas. The Longhorns are in the mix at the top of Jackson’s list and Gould has strong familiarity with Chris Ash and Jay Valai. I’m not sure which one it will be, but I believe the Longhorns will land one of these players.

Footnotes: If Texas misses on targets at this position, there appear to be a wealth of other options. Austin Jordan (Denton Ryan) and Laterrance Welch (Acadiana, LA) are both guys to watch as well. It will be tough for Valai to make the numbers work and maximize the talent at the position in this group, but the options or there for him.

SAFETY (2-3)

Chace Biddle, Garland (Texas)

While Biddle’s recruitment is just starting to take off, he’s named Texas the leader on several occasions. The Dallas defender is one of the best athletes at the position in the country, and Texas was the first school to offer. Oklahoma and Texas A&M intrigue him, but Texas was early to offer and have been a constant in this recruitment from the beginning.

Landon Hullaby, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview

It feels inevitable that Texas will land Hullaby at some point with his brother a member of the 2020 team and Landon attending every game his brother will play in this year. Oklahoma State and USC are two schools Hullaby is high on, but this feels like a case where Texas lands Hullaby if they push the right buttons.

Footnotes: Kamari Wilson is one of the most important targets for Chris Ash at safety, but there are some concerns about landing a kid from SEC country. From there it could be a numbers game. Texas has been working hard on flipping Bryce Anderson and they just recently offered Lexington ATH Jarred Kerr as well, so there could be plenty of options at the safety position for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Murphy is a fantastic player on the interior defensive line for the Eagles, and the only real knock against him is a lack of length. Still, Murphy is an absolute bull up front who is tough to stop because of his quickness and elite strength. He's a name to watch over the next few months.

I hate to say it, but even though Rhule’s gone, Baylor has still been making a lot of really good evals. I wonder if people on their personnel department stayed when Rhule left.

I feel dirty now. Fuck Baylor. I hope they lose very single game for the rest of their existence. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I hate to say it, but even though Rhule’s gone, Baylor has still been making a lot of really good evals. I wonder if people on their personnel department stayed when Rhule left.

I feel dirty now. Fuck Baylor. I hope they lose very single game for the rest of their existence. 

Yes - the personnel department is run by the same people that were with Rhule.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yes - the personnel department is run by the same people that were with Rhule.

Damn. That explains the good evals. I wouldn’t mind switching our annual tradition of poaching 1 or 2 TCU commits a year over to Baylor. TCU’s been falling off in recruiting.
Also holy shit, just checked TCU’s class this year and they only have 7 commits for the 2021 class right now. Maybe Gary’s decided he tired of recruiting realized his checks will still cash regardless. 

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Martrell Harris is another in-state backer to watch, but Texas A&M and Mississippi State

He didn't play varsity last year and didn't play LB either. He played DE for JV and basically just burst upfield on the snap of every play. The leader at this point is irrelevant because MOST teams are very much in a wait-and-see mode. I also think that the aggy leading is less fact and more Woodlands echo chamber because that's not my impression. We shall see. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Wonder if they have some OL we could poach. What about that Lengyel kid?

6 minutes ago, Cashdaddyblumpkins said:

Roach with the level 6 confidence CB for corner Isaac Thompson.

https://247sports.com/Player/Isaac-Thompson-46058605/

Spoiler

It’s still relatively early, but Texas did a great job getting out in front in this recruitment led by Jay Valai. Florida is the other school near the top for Thompson, but I think Texas leads at this point. Thompson still needs to take some visits before I’d feel any better about this, but if he decided today, I think Texas would be the likely pick.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Cashdaddyblumpkins said:

Roach with the level 6 confidence CB for corner Isaac Thompson.

https://247sports.com/Player/Isaac-Thompson-46058605/

for most guys I'd say he got some info from the UM guy that posted a CB a few days ago, but since it's Roach I assume that he was in a class with Xavion Alfrod and perhaps took some snaps vs. UTEP. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting