Arkansas police kill 17-year old with car trouble

Pancho

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

And yet if they killed unarmed females proportionally to how often they kill unarmed males then they’d kill unarmed females more often than they kill unarmed males. But they kill 25 times more unarmed males than females. That’s the whole point in the fact that they kill unarmed males disproportionally more frequently than unarmed females. The math says you’re much safer being a female. Doesn’t mean you’re completely safe from the pigs. But you’re safer if you’re female than if you’re male.

Not if you're a female married to a cop.

• Hook 'Em 6

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If this guy's murder had been recorded by bystanders in slo-mo, it would likely be a centerpiece in the movement for police reform.

That a cop murdered George Floyd wasn't the story.  That he did so over 10 minutes or so, in slow motion and utter defiance as people begged him to STOP murdering him, recorded by multiple cameras from multiple angles, is what made it a story.

But you do you.  You always do.

There is very clear video of Tony Timpa.  One out of 1000 Americans might know his name.  Maybe.  And he wasn’t resisting arrest with a lethal amount of fentanyl in his system.  Was shot in cold blood.  And his murderer is walking the streets a free man collecting his pension.  The civil suit was thrown out also.  He’s the wrong color for anyone to give a shit though.  

as to the time, are you saying it’s worse for a cop to kneel on a neck or shoot someone multiple times? Which would you rather happen to you, if you had to choose?  Would Floyd’s murder be less or more egregious had Chauvin just put a couple bullets in Floyd like that warrior cop did to Timpa.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There is very clear video of Tony Timpa.  One out of 1000 Americans might know his name.  Maybe.  And he wasn’t resisting arrest with a lethal amount of fentanyl in his system.  Was shot in cold blood.  And his murderer is walking the streets a free man collecting his pension.  The civil suit was thrown out also.  He’s the wrong color for anyone to give a shit though.  

as to the time, are you saying it’s worse for a cop to kneel on a neck or shoot someone multiple times? Which would you rather happen to you, if you had to choose?  Would Floyd’s murder be less or more egregious had Chauvin just put a couple bullets in Floyd like that warrior cop did to Timpa.  

Counted among those 999 in 1000 Americans who don't have a fucking clue who Tony Timpa is: @Johnny Sack.

Tony Timpa wasn't shot

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If this guy's murder had been recorded by bystanders in slo-mo, it would likely be a centerpiece in the movement for police reform.

That a cop murdered George Floyd wasn't the story.  That he did so over 10 minutes or so, in slow motion and utter defiance as people begged him to STOP murdering him, recorded by multiple cameras from multiple angles, is what made it a story.

But you do you.  You always do.

8 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Counted among those 999 in 1000 Americans who don't have a fucking clue who Tony Timpa is: @Johnny Sack.

Tony Timpa wasn't shot

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallasnews.com/news/investigations/2019/07/31/you-re-gonna-kill-me-dallas-police-body-cam-footage-reveals-the-final-minutes-of-tony-timpa-s-life/%3foutputType=amp

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Johnny Sacked.

Yep.  Failing to note ANY distinction in public perception between 1) a murder by a cop, occurring in slow-motion, captured and released IN REAL TIME (that is, immediately after it happened) by citizens, before the cops can doctor the evidence, create their  own narrative, etc., versus 2) a murder by a cop, captured only by police cameras, the footage of which is only released WELL after the fact, in dribs and drabs, with a fully crafted police counter-narrative ready to go, and after the cops have worked with the media to bury as much of the story as possible.

Seeing a murder happen live, versus seeing a murder happen on cleaned-up, not-as-good footage, paired with an "explanation/excuse" for the murder.  Those are always going to be perceived by the public quite differently.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I rarely dive into these debates, but this right-wing talking point about George Floyd is 100% fucking horse shit.  Fentanyl is a very short-acting drug.  If you overdose on it, you *immediately* go unconscious and stop breathing.  That's it.  It doesn't sneak up on you an hour later.

The idea that Floyd took a "lethal amount," and was walking around a convenience store, then arguing with officers, then resisting getting into a police car with such force that numerous officers were unable to shove him in there, then just suddenly died from fentanyl (while an officer was kneeling on his neck)... it's just profoundly stupid.  

If someone is gasping "I can't breathe," then you can be 100% sure they are not dying from fucking fentanyl. 

Floyd complained he couldn’t breathe before Chauvin kneeled on his neck.  Something was wrong with him.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Tony Timpa wasn't shot. Daniel Shaver's snuff film has been widely shared and reported on by pretty much every single news outlet. You're just mad that a black guy murdered by the cops is more "famous" that a white guy murdered by the cops when you should be mad that cops keep murdering people. Which makes you a racist bootlicking nimrod.

Or society is racist for caring only about one.  

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Failing to note ANY distinction in public perception between 1) a murder by a cop, occurring in slow-motion, captured and released IN REAL TIME (that is, immediately after it happened) by citizens, before the cops can doctor the evidence, create their  own narrative, etc., versus 2) a murder by a cop, captured only by police cameras, the footage of which is only released WELL after the fact, in dribs and drabs, with a fully crafted police counter-narrative ready to go, and after the cops have worked with the media to bury as much of the story as possible.

Seeing a murder happen live, versus seeing a murder happen on cleaned-up, not-as-good footage, paired with an "explanation/excuse" for the murder.  Those are always going to be perceived by the public quite differently.

What's sad is that @Johnny Sack doesn't actually care about police mistreatment of anyone. What he cares about is that someone else, minorities or women, are getting treated, in his view, better than him. I've told him to start threads on all these terrible things that happen to white men that he says gets ignored by the media and this board. He refuses to do it. Instead, he just bitches when other causes get attention. And he can't see how his attitude, multiplied by millions of people, reinforces the very thing he says he hates. It is fucking pathetic.  

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

this is a weird fucking hill to die on, especially on this thread. 

tenor.gif

I mean, here, on a well-traveled board, we literally have a thread calling out the cops for.....killing a white kid.  Multiple posters have already chimed in, and we don't even have video yet.  The Daniel Shaver murder got great attention here, and in media nationwide and worldwide.

THE things that made the Floyd murder stand out were 1) he functionally committed it on live TV, with people watching and begging him not to (I mean, it was fucking psychopathic, there for all to see), and 2) it was at least partially reflective of something that every honest cop has long-ago acknowledged.....our PDs have an embedded racist culture in them (and if you do the TINIEST bit of reading into history and the formation of modern American law enforcement, you see that much of that is a product of the original design).

That's it.  Those were the big differences.  But they are...big differences.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What's sad is that @Johnny Sack doesn't actually care about police mistreatment of anyone. What he cares about is that someone else, minorities or women, are getting treated, in his view, better than him. I've told him to start threads on all these terrible things that happen to white men that he says gets ignored by the media and this board. He refuses to do it. Instead, he just bitches when other causes get attention. And he can't see how his attitude, multiplied by millions of people, reinforces the very thing he says he hates. It is fucking pathetic.  

Wrong.  I do care.  I think our police are way too militarized.  I just reject the notion that police are out there wrongfully shooting people based on their race, which is a perception to media and social media is creating and too many Americans believe.  I do not believe the statistics back it up.  I think bad police shootings correlate pretty well to any demographic's percentage of violent crime and propensity to resist arrest.  It's why men, who commit the vast majority of violent crimes, make up the vast majority of those wrongfully shot by cops.  They aren't shooting men more due to misandry.  It's why Asians are shot less than whites.  It's why those 18 to 40 are shot a lot more than those 40+. There are some truly tragic incidences.  Castille and Tamir Rice were awful.  This Arkansas kid looks awful.  

However, the media drives a lot of false perceptions based on what they choose to cover and how, and how much, they cover it.  It gives us shit like this, which is in no way healthy.

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Wrong.  I do care.  I think our police are way too militarized.  I just reject the notion that police are out there wrongfully shooting people based on their race, which is a perception to media and social media is creating and too many Americans believe.  I do not believe the statistics back it up.  I think bad police shootings correlate pretty well to any demographic's percentage of violent crime and propensity to resist arrest.  It's why men, who commit the vast majority of violent crimes, make up the vast majority of those wrongfully shot by cops.  They aren't shooting men more due to misandry.  It's why Asians are shot less than whites.  It's why those 18 to 40 are shot a lot more than those 40+. There are some truly tragic incidences.  Castille and Tamir Rice were awful.  This Arkansas kid looks awful.  

However, the media drives a lot of false perceptions based on what they choose to cover and how, and how much, they cover it.  It gives us shit like this, which is in no way healthy.

spacer.png

Interesting chart.  A quick google search didn't turn up the actual answer, but this article  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/23/fact-check-how-many-unarmed-black-men-did-police-kill-2019/5322455002/  lists the number of unarmed black men shot by police in 2019.  The total there was 13.    This doesn't count other causes of death like beatings, tasers, and kneeling on someone's neck for 10 minutes.

It would seem that "About 10" is probably the closest to the correct number. 

And with respect to race, the broader issue is, and always has been, disparate treatment of minorities by cops.  "Killing them" is just one kind of treatment.  Charging them when you bust them for small possession, versus calling Chad's parents and giving him a lecture, is part of it.  Choosing to pull over/inspect black men (even when they're just waiting to meet a friend in a hotel lobby) at a much higher rate than white men is another.  And it goes on, and on, and on.

"Killing them" is just the most egregious symptom of a pervasive disease.

But make no mistake, the overarching disease of "cops are roided up dicks who abuse their power" harms the shit out of non-minorities as well.  The disease is that bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, lmao said:

Don't a lot of departments require a two or four year degree? Not sure how a degree & student debt prevents them from indiscriminately murdering people.

"To be considered for employment as a Dallas police officer, applicants must be US citizens, be at least 19 years and six months of age and not older than 44, and have a high school diploma or GED plus at least 45 semester credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university."

and yeah the requirements are comically low. Minimum age should be at least after your frontal lobe has developed ffs. 

Houston Police Dept. will accept honorable discharge from any branch of armed forces in lieu of college credits. No college? No problem. PTSD? No problem.

Bernard

• Rage+1 1

I rarely read the book board on this site; I don’t think I’ve ever posted there. That doesn’t mean that the books being posted about aren’t good works of literature.

It also doesn’t mean that my preferred genre — erotic Buck Rogers fan fiction — doesn’t have artistic merit. It just means that we have different interests when it comes to this one issue. 

Lebron clearly has an interest in the mistreatment of Black Americans by the police. That he may not be as concerned about the broader policing issue doesn’t negate his interest nor the broader issue.

It’s just an issue of focus. That he has said some stupid stuff on social media doesn’t negate these issues either. That time he mocked Dirk for being sick and then got torched was funny though.

What’s also funny is how these threads go: a white guy gets killed by the cops and rather than discuss the issue of police violence, race and the media gets injected into the discussion; a Black guy gets killed by the cops and suddenly there’s the push to look only at the broader policing issue (while accomplishing nothing) or more often, discuss how terrible the dead guy was.

If the goal was to intentionally distract and ignore the issues in various cases, I couldn’t come up with a better strategy.

I miss the old days of Bernard threads before we lost our minds and our humanity.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/29/2021 at 8:34 AM, BabaYaga said:

Been beating this fucking drum for months now.  They act with impunity because they basically have impunity.  So take away the fucking impunity.  Make them accountable like everyone else and my bet is you'd see a rapid change in behavior.

This gets to training.  They need more of it in spades.  Layer on situational training and use of force drills out the ass, with the caveat that:  "ok, we're investing in your ability to do your job, but you fuck this up, and you are out".  This is what the SMU's and military teams do.  A bad shoot.  Even a DUI.  Your ass is gone.  

Yep.  And the training they do get scares the shit out of them and makes them think there's a gunman behind every traffic stop when in reality it's more dangerous to be a garbage man or a construction worker than a cop.  When you look at the world as either perps or shields, it's no wonder they act the way they do.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Or society is racist for caring only about one.  

Some day, us white folks will free ourselves from the shackles of American liberalism and be FREE.  FREE I TELL YOU.

There is no greater burden than being a white American, I'll tell you what.

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

He's a crybaby bitch that's obsessed with race.  Which is ironically the thing he continuously whines about.

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Damn, I'd never heard about the Tony Timpa fellow.

Yeah, his situation was a bit different. He called the police for help rather than someone calling because of a crime he was committing. He also was mocked and laughed at while being murdered.

It just wasn’t popular or interesting to talk about him in the media or social media.

14 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Awesome sources 3 fucking years after the occurrence!!!

That's when the video was released showing that the cops were full of shit. I'm not sure what you're wanting here. It was covered by national news. The story sucks. Qualified immunity sucks. The police in that instance (and many instances) sucked. Your anger at the media for not covering it is completely misplaced. I can tell you right now a good part of why this incident didn't get as much coverage as others: pretty much everyone who isn't a copy saw this story and agreed the cops were fuck heads. Part of what drives so much coverage of other incidents is the fact that a segment of society is adamantly opposed to admitting that cops killing black men is a problem in this country. That conflict breeds consumer interest, which generates more coverage.  Maybe if you (and others) spent more time being angry about police mistreating people and less time being angry about media coverage, you'd find that stories like Timpa's would generate similar publicity. 

• Hook 'Em 7

32 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Maybe if you (and others) spent more time being angry about police mistreating people and less time being angry about media coverage, you'd find that stories like Timpa's would generate similar publicity. 

Don't know about you but I have time to be angry with both. ymmv

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That's when the video was released showing that the cops were full of shit. I'm not sure what you're wanting here. It was covered by national news. The story sucks. Qualified immunity sucks. The police in that instance (and many instances) sucked. Your anger at the media for not covering it is completely misplaced. I can tell you right now a good part of why this incident didn't get as much coverage as others: pretty much everyone who isn't a copy saw this story and agreed the cops were fuck heads. Part of what drives so much coverage of other incidents is the fact that a segment of society is adamantly opposed to admitting that cops killing black men is a problem in this country. That conflict breeds consumer interest, which generates more coverage.  Maybe if you (and others) spent more time being angry about police mistreating people and less time being angry about media coverage, you'd find that stories like Timpa's would generate similar publicity. 

1) the wrongful death lawsuit was filed in December of 2016 but it was largely ignored

2) I agreed the cops are fuckheads. You’re not proving anything by arguing with yourself

3) You stated that you wanted me to spend more time being angry about the way cops treat people. I am. What made you think otherwise you fucking idiot?

4) You want me to be less angry about media coverage? I’m fighting for equality for everyone while you’re contradicting yourself.

It would be amazing if everyone is this country remembered what MLK said.

”will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” 

You’re just saying I'm angry at shit I'm not angry at.

The only thing I’m angry at is the thought that the world would have been a better place if your mother had swallowed you.

Timpa's death came to prominence in 2020 after the murder of George Floyd, who was killed in a similar way.[9] When Derek Chauvin was convicted of murdering Floyd, a number of commentators drew comparisons between Floyd and Timpa. Ryan Mills, writing in the National Review, noted that, "There was no national uproar after Timpa's death. No national cries for justice and reform. The city of Dallas paid no settlement to Timpa's family."[8

6 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I agree with you. If you're free this weekend, let's grab a beer downtown by that little Irish place next to the Tony Timpa statue and discuss the complexities of gun violence and policing. 

10 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Timpa's death came to prominence in 2020 after the murder of George Floyd, who was killed in a similar way.[9] When Derek Chauvin was convicted of murdering Floyd, a number of commentators drew comparisons between Floyd and Timpa. Ryan Mills, writing in the National Review, noted that, "There was no national uproar after Timpa's death. No national cries for justice and reform. The city of Dallas paid no settlement to Timpa's family."[8

Not sure what point you're trying to make.... Floyd only got the backlash it did from the bystander video showing the cop slowly strangling him and made it public. In the Timpa case, the police HID THE FOOTAGE for three years. 

Your whataboutism from a right-wing rag is weak shit. No shit people are more worked up about something that just happened and is a current event, and not years-old. 

Turns out, crime is best prosecuted when it's fresh. Which is why the police go to such lengths to hide their criminality

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Not sure what point you're trying to make.... Floyd only got the backlash it did from the bystander video showing the cop slowly strangling him and made it public. In the Timpa case, the police HID THE FOOTAGE for three years. 

Your whataboutism from a right-wing rag is weak shit. No shit people are more worked up about something that just happened and is a current event, and not years-old. 

Turns out, crime is best prosecuted when it's fresh. Which is why the police go to such lengths to hide their criminality

This.  That's the biggest takeaway from the contrast between the two cases.

The world watched Floyd murdered, in real-time and slowly, functionally AS IT HAPPENED.  It was shocking, appalling, and the public reaction was IMMEDIATE, before the cops could cook up their coverup.

Timpa was just a story told by his family, with no video proof, for YEARS.  By the time the video came out, the story was stale, and the cops had YEARS to have told their narrative and "soften the blow."

The Timpa story isn't much different than the murder of Laquan McDonald (a black man) -- the family made an outcry, but the cops sat on the video until a court ORDERED it released over a year later.  And it showed a murder.  But because time had passed, even though it drew great outrage and criticism, it didn't draw nearly the attention that Floyd's immediate, real-time, live murder in front of witnesses begging it to stop, did.

The contrast isn't the race of the victims.  It is the timing and outrageousness of the facts coming to light.  And, some overall timing -- there will always be a "straw that broke the camel's back" case of any outrage.  See a single Tunisian shopkeeper self-immolating and starting the "Arab Spring" of uprisings.  Nothing special about him or his story -- it just happened at a time when the masses had had enough, and just needed a spark.

• Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Is Wikipedia a right wing rag?

3 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Is Wikipedia a right wing rag?

Laundering a national review quote/talking point through wikipedia doesn't make it not a national review quote/talking point.

You're dodging my point as usual though - the Timpa case had such a different outcome from the Floyd case because of the timeliness of the information and the direct efforts of the police to disseminate their lie, whereas in the Floyd case the story and facts became public immediately.

Edited by Captainant

10 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I agree with you. If you're free this weekend, let's grab a beer downtown by that little Irish place next to the Tony Timpa statue and discuss the complexities of gun violence and policing. 

Go build a statute if you want one. You can start that campaign, anyone can. But, the story got coverage once the video was released. It wasn't that the media ignored it, it was that it wasn't fresh enough to strike a chord with the public. That isn't because people find the actions of the police acceptable. It isn't because people believe a white guy's death isn't important. Plenty of black men have died due to police mistreatment, and their stories had a similar 5 minutes of fame only to be replaced by something else in the public consciousness. Sometimes things happen at just the right time and in the right conditions to cause a larger chain reaction. Most times a single spark is going to sputter out. But every so often it creates a wildfire.  That's what happened with Floyd.

Here is my suggestion for some of you: focus on the material misconduct here, the actions of the police. The obsession with finding mistreatment of the white man because a black man's story became famous is fucking pathetic. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Laundering a national review quote/talking point through wikipedia doesn't make it not a national review quote/talking point.

You're dodging my point as usual though - the Timpa case had such a different outcome from the Floyd case because of the timeliness of the information and the direct efforts of the police to disseminate their lie, whereas in the Floyd case the story and facts became public immediately.

No I'm not, you little cocksucker. I simply posted some facts about the case that I found on WIKIPEDIA. If you want a completely one-sided discussion, then go to the Cloak Room where you belong. 

• Like 1

Just now, immortal13 said:

No I'm not, you little cocksucker. I simply posted some facts about the case that I found on WIKIPEDIA. If you want a completely one-sided discussion, then go to the Cloak Room where you belong. 

What is it you are discussing? What point are you trying to make? What do you think is the important part of Floyd's story? Of Timpa's story? 

Just now, immortal13 said:

Avoid Spider Man GIF

still dodging my point on the timeliness of the information and fullness of facts going to the public immediately in the Floyd case whereas the police controlled the narrative for years and told outright lies in the Timpa case.