Better Call Saul- returns August 6th

Goo Punch

9 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

The whole show was the buildup to jimmy's reaction when he found he caused chuck's suicide. I think we all thought he would feel bad when Hamlin said that the insurance thing is why he was fired. Jimmy shockingly was like "yeah mother fucker, I won!"

didnt make sense but I guess that's how much he hates Chuck at the end after he told jimmy that he just wasn't important to him.

ouch.

^^^ Nailed it.

Jimmy is such a sympathetic character.  He's so easy to like (and even was in BB), we forget that in the end, he's just a scumbag lawyer who's no better than any of the rest of the criminals he ends up surrounding himself with.

• Like 1

Somoan American University Law Graduate. 

Saul G.  When he told Jesse/Walt, "One of the Tribe", he was talking about his Island Brethren, not Moses/Isaac's folks.  

On 8/9/2018 at 4:13 PM, Monster said:

Visual story telling has to be slow because they aren't using dialogue to tell us what's going on....in fact, the dialogue often contradicts what the characters are actually feeling .  They are giving you extra time in every scene, so you can stare at the screen and piece together the puzzle of what's happening.   It's a slow, tedious, way of telling a story, but it's also very rewarding for a viewer, because you're 'figuring it out yourself' instead of being spoonfed the plot with dialogue and exposition.    Committing to the visual story telling style  and letting the viewer 'figure it out' is what makes  BB and BCS special. 

That said, I can only watch two people ride in silence in a car and slowly park their car for so long before it gets a little frustrating.   And do I really need to watch the dad retool his kid's bike chain before slowly walking back to his car to search his briefcase for 30 seconds?  That kid and his bike better be part of the story later, otherwise, that's straight time-filler bullshit.   

These show runners have earned my trust with creative plots and interesting payoffs, so I'm in for the duration, but I can't imagine watching that episode again.   

Wasn't that Dad the guy who Mike stole the name badge from.  What's going on here? Don't tell me I'm the only guy who realizes that. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Kinda interesting...seems plausible.

Is Walter White Still Alive in the “Gene Timeline”?

Every season, Better Call Saul begins with a look at “Gene,” the Omaha Cinnabon manager that serves as Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman’s new identity in the post-Breaking Bad timeline.

On the Season 4 Premiere, it seemed that Gene’s cover may have been blown once and for all. While star Bob Odenkirk, who plays Jimmy, Saul and Gene, believes Gene’s world is closing in on him, he wondered on the Better Call Saul Insider Podcast if there still might be a way out of this mess for Gene.

“Does he see a window to be a more full presence in the world and why would he see that?” Odenkirk asked on the podcast. “If Walter White dies… and that’s on the news in some capacity… does that make him think, ‘I can come out from hiding?’”

Odenkirk’s hypothetical suggests that the Gene scenes on Better Call Saul might take place before Walter White’s death in Breaking Bad. And while the idea made all the other guests on the Insider Podcast a bit giddy, co-creators Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould admitted that the show has never fully revealed exactly when Gene’s story is taking place.

Does this open up the door for a Walter White cameo in either timeline of Better Call Saul? Only time will tell. 

Edited by Art Vandelay

I really like the show and have no problem with slow episodes.  It seems to me that the biggest issue for the show runners is timing.  They have a story they plan to tell and a finite amount of time until they get to the BB universe.  Now they have Season 5 to get there, but what if they get a Season 6?  How do they plan for realistically telling the story without knowing how many episodes they have to do it?  I supposed that BCS could continue after the BB timeline starts, but eventually so much of Saul's live revolves around WW.  I'm interested on how they pull this off.

back on the grid and finally watched the premiere.  i echo many of the sentiments in here that it was a slow premiere without any real new information.  the thing is, that's how this show has been.  i said earlier in this thread (i think) that what has happened in 3 seasons could've easily happened in 2 (or fewer).  and the time in between seasons (in this case, almost 14 months) is absurd for a 10 episode season of tv, unless it has g.o.t. type production and effects.  which it doesn't.

i also agree with derka (ducks) that this show's rewatchability just isn't there, at least for me.  the wire, mad men, lost, the west wing, sopranos, breaking bad - all my favorite hour long shows are extremely rewatchable, and not because of action or twists, but mostly because of great dialogue.  even breaking bad suffers a little on rewatch because the intensity and twists aren't the same the second time through - but the acting/writing/directing still made for fantastic tv. 

when i watched those shows on first run, it was event tv and i tuned everything out and stared at the screen.  in this show, after waiting 14 months, i still was drifting in and out, checking my phone, etc.

bcs seems like it's still falling into the trap where it seems like they don't have enough story to tell, but they want this to be a long, money-making endeavor for everyone involved.  and btw, this could be a directive from the amc brass, so i'm not necessarily blaming gilligan or the bcs producers.  the handmaid's tale and westworld very recently (in my opinion) created seasons that seemed like aimless filler.  not saying this is that, but i do need plot advancement.

i also agree that he should've been saul by now, and here's why: when i watched breaking bad, i loved saul's character and every scene he was in.  in fact, i wanted more of them.  when the idea of a spinoff was on the table, i said, "fuck yeah, i want more saul goodman scenes."  what i did not say was, "fuck yeah, i am really interested in the events leading up to jimmy mcgill (who i may or may not like) slowly turning into the character that i would later know as saul goodman" (who i already know i like).

and for whomever asked - breaking bad is the show that immediately comes to mind in the category of "the next season picked up the exact moment the previous season ended."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What is the consensus on the cab driver?  Random dude from NM that recognizes Saul Goodman?  He knows that some bad hombres are looking for Saul Goodman?  Or is he one of the bad guys?   Or none of the above?

I would say that it was just Saul being paranoid, except the whole green light thing. Dude was just straight maddogging him and missed the green light. Of course that could just mean he's a shitty driver. 

speculation https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1000356/Better-Call-Saul-season-4-episode-1-who-is-taxi-driver-Jesse-theories-Gene-AMC-Netflix

Spoilering to save space.  

Who is the taxi driver in Better Call Saul season 4, episode 1?
The answer is, we don’t know yet - but there is plenty of speculation online.

The scene with the taxi driver was meant to emphasise that Jimmy is not only afraid of the authorities knowing his identity but that he is afraid of other forces too.

When Saul was last seen in Breaking Bad it was in the series penultimate episode.

Both he and Walter White (Bryan Cranston) had hired an “extractor” to give them new identities and the two had to wait together in a room for a few days before heading to their new destinations.

he episode saw Saul try to convince Walt to turn himself in, which angered Walt who tried to intimidate Saul.

Walt then suffered a violent coughing fit and Saul left with his suitcases, the last he was seen in the series.

So who then is this suspicious driver? Were they sent to kill or spy on Jimmy?

Edited by retread

I wasn't paying 100% attention (ok the show is a bit slow) but I think he did actually want the job right up until they bought his pitch hook line and sinker, at which point he didn't want to work for a couple of suckers.  And later on decides maybe to have them robbed instead?  Or maybe it will be something more clever.

That's how I took it. He wanted the job, but lost respect for them when they fell for his bullshit.  I think this moment builds upon Jimmy's win over Chuck and Howard in Jimmy's mind. He's feeling smarter than everyone and it's feeding the slipping Jimmy persona.  And yeah, he's calling his gifted buddy to steal that ~$9k figurine.

Edited by bernorange

Damn good episode. 

At first thought he was just practicing selling and being a lawyer to keep his skills but it appears he just wants to rob them for the figurines. 

Kim was great and the first time IMO she really showed up as not being stiff. 

Fucking terrible way to die. Brutal. Great episode

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Kim bringing the fucking heat! (literally)  I would watch a Kim spinoff when she finally gets tired of Jimmy.

It is no surprise that I'd be the only one who did not buy into that heavy drama at all;  Kim gets emotional because Howard tries to hurt Jimmy's feelings by admitting that Howard himself was to blame!?  I also found the line of sight up her nostrils killed any emotional energy from the scene.

11 hours ago, TexasMan said:

What exactly was Jimmy trying to accomplish with the sales interview? 

I think he realized he didn’t want to work for anyone in some boring ass capacity, and realized right away that his scam artist inner self is now refined enough to take it to the masses as a trial lawyer.  When he went back to give them the hard sell was his final audition.  I hope/think we see Saul very very soon.  

The off the cuff remark about "Maybe, if he was in the care of Johns Hopkins...could a small difference be made."   Then suddenly the bilingual head of coma medicine (or whatever it's called) comes to the little ABQ.  It reminded me of the Japanese guy in "Inception" buying the airline days before the rest of them settled on that as the idea to get the mark inside the private cabin.  

why would mike even take a job like that.  his paycheck showed he's getting $10k (weekly? bi-weekly?).  seems like a dumb move for a smart ex-cop to make.

solid episode.  once again, i'm finding myself the most bored during the jimmy scenes, but whatever.  that should change soon.

on a separate topic, back when there were breaking bad threads, i brought up (several times) that a big company like pollos/madrigal should've given walt a big, fancy title and paid him a paycheck, with necessary taxes taken out, etc.  i understand there was basically an entire season devoted to the laundering of the money, purchasing of the car wash, etc, but it seemed like a pretty big plot-point never properly explained.  now, they purposely show mike's paycheck (last episode).  i wonder if he gets in some sort of trouble over it, and that's why they handled walt differently.