Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
Poolflood

Yes: Pools are worth it....

1 hour ago, PorscheGuy said:

I was convinced to go with a robot and can’t stand it. I spend more time cleaning out the impeller and unclogging everything then it does cleaning. There are some days I literally mess with it morning, noon and night and there are still leaves and small sticks on the bottom of the pool. And by messing with it, I have to take it apart, unscrew the covers and clean it out by hand.

I have just decided it is better use of my time to clean it with a net and brush. If you have any trees near by, robot may not be the best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at purchasing a house with a pool several years ago.  I had never owned a house with a pool before.  I had a client at the time who owned a pool company and was asking him a few questions about it.  He asked if I had any pictures, so I pulled up the listing.  He took one look at the three massive oak trees in the backyard and told me if I wanted to hate having a pool, that this pool and backyard would make me hate it.  I passed on the house for reasons mostly unrelated to the pool, but that stuck with me.

+1 on salt pools being super easy. And my pool area is woodsy, which is nice for keeping the water cool in the summer but a weekly service wouldn’t be enough with all the tree debris (tulip poplars are pissing me off right now).

It also means the stone gets dirty over time with all the leaves, but I spent a few hours with a pressure washer on Sunday and viola:

2aa8b7a6aff8284a4600054a3c3bb3a3.jpg

Nice pool buzz.
Does the salt jack with your stone deck??
So went to the tile store today, Crossville Tile, to pick out pool tile. Wife now wants travertine deck (fmw).
Does the tumbled travertine get slick when wet? How bout hotness in direct sun all day? Im still worried about the kids running and slipping.
Pool guy told us kooldeck (generic name?) was best option for heat and nonslip surface, but said travertine would be ok.

Our last house we had travertine and it never got hot enough to matter - maybe warm but not like a wood deck. Our expensive ipe deck was nice to look at but unusable half the time. Travertine was an easy decision, I didn’t like the fake stone look. About to start our new build and I’m angling for a stone product again for the decking.

we went with pentair equipment. different pool builders will push different equipment. from everything i read, there really isn't any big differences between hayward, pentair, and jandy. 

we have a chlorine pool and maintenance is really easy. get yourself a test kit, download the pool math app, and add in the liquid chlorine/muriatic acid as the app tells you. brush the pool a couple of times a week, use the net to catch bugs/leaves/debris on the surface and you're good. we do not have trees near our pool so we don't have to deal with that.

we got a robotic (pentair kreepy krauly) and it does a really good job of cleaning. my one gripe is that we had bar stools built in, and it will get stuck there or get stuck above the main drain suctions. additionally, our pool builder built in the plumbing in case we ever want to go back to a regular cleaner.

cleaning the spa out is a pain in the ass though. you have to use that damn vacuum hose and it's not all that great.

When I built my pool in 2010 one of the builders that gave me a bid said he is not bound to any equipment manufacturer and that he would never use Hayward. Whether I used him or not he recommended Pentair.

Nice pool buzz.
Does the salt jack with your stone deck??
So went to the tile store today, Crossville Tile, to pick out pool tile. Wife now wants travertine deck (fmw).
Does the tumbled travertine get slick when wet? How bout hotness in direct sun all day? Im still worried about the kids running and slipping.
Pool guy told us kooldeck (generic name?) was best option for heat and nonslip surface, but said travertine would be ok.

Not that I can tell. Pool is 15 years old and the stone and grout are in pretty good shape. Coupla little wear spots here and there.