Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

I agree that Yoho's walk away comment was chickenshit.  I guess what put the major burr in my saddle was when she and a few others ganged up on the former ICE director Homan.  It wasn't so much her (although she did make a few comments that were nowhere close to being accurate), as it was the Illinois rep Garcia(?) who spoke before her, that upset me the most.

32 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

I agree that Yoho's walk away comment was chickenshit.  I guess what put the major burr in my saddle was when she and a few others ganged up on the former ICE director Homan.  It wasn't so much her (although she did make a few comments that were nowhere close to being accurate), as it was the Illinois rep Garcia(?) who spoke before her, that upset me the most.

Oh won't someone defend Heinrich Himmler!?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

doubtful.

and i know what comes next, the video where she says of course employment is high, everyone has two jobs. which caused fact checkers to breathlessly run around saying, no alexandria, not everyone has two jobs, and no, having two jobs doesn't get you counted twice.  which completely misses what she said and assumes she's an idiot instead.

Not doubtful.  Based on what she says, then there is a ton of evidence to back that her understanding of economics is pretty shaky. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You just described 2/3 of surly, 90% of Congress, and probably 75% of Americans.

Oh I know. It is part of the reason I am absolutely disgusted with most folks.  Economics isn't hard.  The basic principles are pretty fucking easy to grasp.  Most people are incredibly lazy though, and if it is longer than a fucking Tweet, they cannot be bothered.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Oh I know. It is part of the reason I am absolutely disgusted with most folks.  Economics isn't hard.  The basic principles are pretty fucking easy to grasp.  Most people are incredibly lazy though, and if it is longer than a fucking Tweet, they cannot be bothered.  

Ah, we’ve got ourselves an Econ 101 nerd.

Penelope

Define real world experience.
What we really need are more gifting lawyers, consultants, etc. Preferably boomers. Someone who's (note the proper usage) able to speak to life among the working class? Someone young enough to rotate a pdf? Can't have that shit.

Also Google says she graduated cum laude, including minor in economics lol
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd like to know whether Penelope had the same criticism of Paul Ryan.

How dare you? 

Paul Ryan is an intellectual titan and a proven leader.

Paul Ryan's experience as a waiter while getting his start as a congressional aide fresh out of school in an expensive northeastern city is so obviously vastly superior to AOC's experience as a waitress while getting her start in the nonprofit sector/political organizing fresh out of school in an expensive northeastern city that the two aren't even remotely comparable.

Further, Ryan totally earned his one year of non-poltical experience at his family's construction firm on merit.

I can't believe you'd dare sully Paul Ryan like that.

Edit: Fun fact, Wikipedia also indicates Paul Ryan drove the Oscar Meyer wiener as a summer job in college. Check fucking mate libtards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

How dare you?

Paul Ryan's experience as a waiter while getting his start as a congressional aide fresh out of school in an expensive northeastern city is so obviously vastly superior to AOC's experience as a waitress while getting her start in the nonprofit sector/political organizing fresh out of school in an expensive northeastern city that the two aren't even remotely comparable.

Further, Ryan totally earned his one year of non-poltical experience at his family's construction firm on merit.

I'm very good friends with Paul Ryan.  most of what you state is patently untrue.  He's just a derelict who ended up at ASU cuz he couldn't get in anywhere else.

Oh, you're talking about former senator Ryan.  I'm talking about one of my jagoff childhood buddies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I'm very good friends with Paul Ryan.  most of what you state is patently untrue.  He's just a derelict who ended up at ASU cuz he couldn't get in anywhere else.

Oh, you're talking about former senator Ryan.  I'm talking about one of my jagoff childhood buddies.

Is your jagoff childhood buddy interested in running for Congress?  Any seat will do...and he would surely be an upgrade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Yep, from a pretty good school (Boston U).  It doesn't necessarily portend a Nobel Prize in Economics (yes, I know it's not technically a "Nobel Prize"), but it's not nothing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

How dare you? 

Edit: Fun fact, Wikipedia also indicates Paul Ryan drove the Oscar Meyer wiener as a summer job in college. Check fucking mate libtards.

He was also a huge dick that needed to be kicked in the balls on the reg.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

ASU has a ton of hot coeds, so nod to your friend 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, from a pretty good school (Boston U).  It doesn't necessarily portend a Nobel Prize in Economics (yes, I know it's not technically a "Nobel Prize"), but it's not nothing.

Treading lightly, but I double majored in International Finance and Spanish. In order to get my Spanish degree, I had to minor in something, so I minored in English. It’s not nothing, but I couldn’t hit the edit button fast enough before my understanding of ‘your’ and ‘you’re’ was exposed.

I keed, I keed.

24 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Matt Gaetz is dumber than Ryan 

And Paul Ryan, despite glowing media praise to the contrary, was a complete fucking idiot. He was one of the absolute emptiest suits in Washington in the last 50 years. And yet, somehow, the entire GOP caucus today makes him look like a genius.

• Like 1

How dare you? Paul Ryan is an intellectual titan and a proven leader.

I didn't care for Paul Ryan.

What we really need are more gifting lawyers, consultants, etc. Preferably boomers. Someone who's (note the proper usage) able to speak to life among the working class? Someone young enough to rotate a pdf? Can't have that shit.

Well good for her. I'm 3 hours short of a second bachelors degree in economics and graduated magna cum laude.

On the real world experience, there are any number of things she could have done. I think it wouldn't have hurt her to work for NYISO or PJM. You want a green new deal, you need to understand how the power markets work because you can't just snap your fingers and make it so. Hell, go work for the EPA and show them how to incorporate economic analysis into their rule making.

Or, since her degree is in international relations, go work for State.

• Like 3

Gosh, two people disagreeing over economic theory.  THAT'S never happened.
It's called a "soft science" for a reason.  It exists in theory(s).  The real world is always a perversion thereof.

I agree with you here, but the definition of the “real world” can start from one end of the spectrum to the other IMO. I think it depends on one’s station (time and place) in his or her life, to be able to possibly sum up their interpretation of “real world”, vs those who hear them out, and have their two cents to throw into the mix.

It's called a "soft science" for a reason.  It exists in theory(s).  The real world is always a perversion thereof.
I agree. But I have found that many do not understand that. It is that conundrum where two people can take a diametrically opposed view and both still have valid points. I feel like there are vasts swaths of people that do not understand that. See the shouting each other down rather than having meaningful debate. And yeah, AOC is guilty of the shouting each other down as is every other member of Congress. They all suck IMO.
  • Hook 'Em 2

She’s not guilty of shit in this instance.  There is an expected decorum on Capitol Hill that Yoho violated.  In a particularly egregious manner.  He went out of his way to insult a fellow MOC outside the confines of a floor debate and in a way that would have gotten him laid the fuck out if it had been a man. 

This isn’t Dave Obey or Don Young trying to square up in the cloakroom during a heated debate. This is rude coward Verbally assaulting and attempting to bully a duly elected Congressional Representative when he thought he could get away with it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

Well good for her. I'm 3 hours short of a second bachelors degree in economics and graduated magna cum laude.

On the real world experience, there are any number of things she could have done. I think it wouldn't have hurt her to work for NYISO or PJM. You want a green new deal, you need to understand how the power markets work because you can't just snap your fingers and make it so. Hell, go work for the EPA and show them how to incorporate economic analysis into their rule making.

You don’t even have a BA/BS degree? Come back when you get some real world experience.
  • Like 1

She’s not guilty of shit in this instance.  There is an expected decorum on Capitol Hill that Yoho violated.  In a particularly egregious manner.  He went out of his way to insult a fellow MOC outside the confines of a floor debate and in a way that would have gotten him laid the fuck out if it had been a man. 

This isn’t Dave Obey or Don Young trying to square up in the cloakroom during a heated debate. This is rude coward Verbally assaulting and attempting to bully a duly elected Congressional Representative when he thought he could get away with it.

This. It’s pretty basic. You don’t agree with a fellow Congressperson’s policy you argue policy. You get personal and you have lost legitimacy. Especially when you give some mealy mouthed, self serving non-apologetic apology. Fuck that dude.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is a fair point so rep for that. However, and one reason I mentioned Gaetz (well besides that he is a tool and I loathe him) is the idea that while Ocasio-Cortez is not fresh out of school, she seems to have a slightly better foundation upon which to improve and if she continues to learn and grow may show to be a better representative for her constituents and the US as a whole. This is a threat to the likes of Matt Gaetz and Yoho, whose (!) world revolves around fraternal groups, exclusion of those not in the groups, and holding/obtaining money and power. They may sincerely believe that they are doing the right thing, that this is the way it should be and that women like her need to know their place. Yoho's behavior was certainly something I am familiar with and shrieks INSECURE ANGRY MALE, but that Ocasio-Cortezz did not blink and embraced the insult shows that we've come a long way baby. He approached her first, she did not back down. He has his colleague with him, she was apparently alone (save nearby reporters). It's the high school hallways played out on the steps of the Capitol. Sad.

Oh, and good for her. Expose and exploit weak egos and you've got political currency.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Nvm

I've actually been to hearings with AOC. She's bright as hell.  Most members read questions prepared for them by staff, and are not able to adjust on the fly to the answers, so they just go off on tangents, or worse, just babble until their time runs out.  AOC takes her committee assignments very seriously and clearly does her research and asks appropriate in depth questions of both Majority and Minority witnesses,  It's a quality she shares with Katie Porter.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I read it as she has one already and is about to complete a second one. 

I believe you are correct. I was trying to mirror the unfair criticism thus not letting facts get in the way. Apparently I failed in my delivery (often the case).

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I agree. But I have found that many do not understand that. It is that conundrum where two people can take a diametrically opposed view and both still have valid points. I feel like there are vasts swaths of people that do not understand that. See the shouting each other down rather than having meaningful debate. And yeah, AOC is guilty of the shouting each other down as is every other member of Congress. They all suck IMO.

You went from "AOC really is dizzy because she doesn't know anything about economics" to "yes, people can be diametrically opposed in their viewpoints on economics but both have valid points, AOC is the problem because she shouts opposing views down and claims they don't know anything."

If there were a 100m backpedal in the Olympics you might be able to make the team.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 7

You went from "AOC really is dizzy because she doesn't know anything about economics" to "yes, people can be diametrically opposed in their viewpoints on economics but both have valid points, AOC is the problem because she shouts opposing views down and claims they don't know anything."
If there were a 100m backpedal in the Olympics you might be able to make the team.

This is the challenge with perpetual students afraid of the real world. (Let’s see if i did better this time).
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

I read it as she has one already and is about to complete a second one. 

An economics degree is not typically a BA or BS. It's its own thing. But now we're analyzing snark a little too heavily, and also ignoring the irony of someone bragging about going for a second bachelor's degree when the conversation started because they said someone else doesn't have real world experience.

Personally, I like her. I think she's smart, and whether she's a perfect expert on everything is beside the point, no one in congress does/is, and most aren't even good at anything. She carries herself well, and more than anything, she actually seems like she gives a fuck about her constituents, which is also an increasingly endangered characteristic by politicians at all levels and in both parties. I think so much of the Green New Deal is stupid, or impossible. And it will never be implemented. But you know what, it was a place to start a conversation. And that's something that no one on the right has put forth for what, 2 decades, on ANY fucking topic? Good for her. If I had a daughter, I'd hope she'd have that kind of spine. 

https://www.facebook.com/CSPAN/videos/686749111909045/

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

A big part of the original New Deal is it was full of programs that were basically "lets throw everything we can think of at the wall and see what sticks" experiments. I'm not an environmental policy guy so I don't know much about the details that were proposed, but if some of them are dumb ideas then that's very much keeping in spirit with the original New Deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, gmr548 said:

To be fair, I believe Penelope is some sort of Wall Street consultant. People never like economic models with the potential to disrupt their status.

It doesn't mean that Penelope truly believes it isn't possible to value labor over capital in a functioning economy. It just means she knows that much of the revaluation will come out of her bottom line. 

We have created a world where market manipulation is seen to be more important and more "productive" than participation in the market itself.  

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

To be fair, I believe Penelope is some sort of Wall Street consultant. People never like economic models with the potential to disrupt their status.

It doesn't mean that Penelope truly believes it isn't possible to value labor over capital in a functioning economy. It just means she knows that much of the revaluation will come out of her bottom line. 

We have created a world where market manipulation is seen to be more important and more "productive" than participation in the market itself.  

The conservative view of economics is pretty similar to their view of the Bible: "we'll pick and choose sections out of context that we think gets us to our desired end and use them to pretend we are acting out of principle and not corrupt selfishness."

• Fuck You 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez