W Anderson Lane

Neonmoon

• 2 weeks later...

Joel is a good guy.  I don't know him well at all, but my daughter dates the son of one of Joel's close friends, and they went to the soft opening.  She raved about it, and so on the way to work the next day I dropped by to see if they had any signage about the real opening, the menu, etc.  I was about to get back in my car and Joel came out asking if I had any questions.  We realized we kinda knew each other, both from playing in bands and from our kids going to the same schools.  He was in the middle of morning prep work but was happy to stand outside his restaurant and tell me the story, invited me to drop by once they opened, handed me a card for $X off, etc.  It seems like he has really pulled it off given the continuing rave reviews.  Glad to see it -- that area needs more Mex/TexMex.  There are a shit ton of homes just across Mopac, and Mopwater Tequila (excuse me, Azul Tequila) isn't cutting it.

• Like 1

El Dorado isn't really Tex-Mex.  They're sort of a blend of Mexican and other Latin American and Southwestern US cuisines.

So if you're expecting gooey government cheese enchiladas and frozen margaritas, you won't find it there.  But what they do make, is pretty darn delicious and well worth a try.

On 10/28/2018 at 9:27 AM, utee94 said:

El Dorado isn't really Tex-Mex.  They're sort of a blend of Mexican and other Latin American and Southwestern US cuisines.

So if you're expecting gooey government cheese enchiladas and frozen margaritas, you won't find it there.  But what they do make, is pretty darn delicious and well worth a try.

It’s also not “fast casual,” which was the subject of the OP’s post. But somebody mentioned it so I had to give my enthusiastic endorsement. It’s one of the best restaurants on West Anderson in my humble opinion.

I’d love it if they took over the adjacent space and expanded.

• 1 month later...

Hit up El Dorado today based on this thread. Got there at 11:30 and the place was packed already, but we got our food in a fairly timely fashion and it was legit. Will definately be back since it's in my hood, I just never thought about going there. Probably because the location makes it easy to forget its there.

20 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Hit up El Dorado today based on this thread. Got there at 11:30 and the place was packed already, but we got our food in a fairly timely fashion and it was legit. Will definately be back since it's in my hood, I just never thought about going there. Probably because the location makes it easy to forget its there.

That strip center in a hole has been the death of just about every business that's attempted it.

On the plus side, plenty of parking for El Dorado, so...

On 10/25/2018 at 9:27 AM, CooterBrown said:

Wild Chix is surprisingly good chicken and waffles.

Surprised no one has mentioned Cover 3. It's great. Only downside is the owner is aggy but there's no aggy shit in there so I guess he's a 2%er.

The Korean chicken place two doors down lasted like a month.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll be sure to avoid it since there are so many other options.

On 12/24/2018 at 6:25 PM, Neonmoon said:

Looks like Kiwami Ramen is no longer in the spot next to Cover 3 and Jersey Mike’s. Drove past and the sign said Red Pepper. Is that a Chinese food place now?

That must've been the place with the severe rat problem that is causing problems for the other restaurants. The last two times we've been at Cover 3, we have seen a rat on the beam above the front wall inside the restaurant. The manager said they have had to have pest control come out daily since that place closed. 

Edited by CooterBrown

On 12/24/2018 at 6:25 PM, Neonmoon said:

Looks like Kiwami Ramen is no longer in the spot next to Cover 3 and Jersey Mike’s. Drove past and the sign said Red Pepper. Is that a Chinese food place now?

i went once and said, "i give it 6 months tops" upon leaving.  weird setup.  karaage app was decent though.

Joel at El Dorado is a great guy.  I’m one of the few who thinks their food is just “okay” but I continue to support his business because he and his team seem like genuinely great people.  

While not technically Anderson Lane, the restaurant replacing El Arroyo, Cielo Modern Mexican (or something to that effect), is set to open any day.  Their menu looks a little more pricy than Dorado, Azul, Y Mas and others but the drinks look legit and they’ve designed a cool outdoor patio area.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

While not technically Anderson Lane, the restaurant replacing El Arroyo, Cielo Modern Mexican (or something to that effect), is set to open any day.  Their menu looks a little more pricy than Dorado, Azul, Y Mas and others but the drinks look legit and they’ve designed a cool outdoor patio area.  

That's good to hear.  We used to take our now 12-year-old daughter to that El Arroyo when she was just a toddler.  There were few other choices in the Northwest Hills area and that was a time before the restaurant began its decline into mediocrity (and frankly we just got burned with the place).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Joel at El Dorado is a great guy.  I’m one of the few who thinks their food is just “okay” but I continue to support his business because he and his team seem like genuinely great people.  

Is this the same place that closed on Congress?

11 hours ago, 3adays said:

Anyone had Be More Pacific? I live in the area and have been wanting to give it a shot. 

I’ve been once and just sat at the bar. I thought the food was good and have been meaning to go back. A friend knows the owner and he is in there working his ass of just about everyday. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from El Dorado. I agree with “it’s okay”. The queso was decent, but the salsa was not really salsa. I know they weren’t going for traditional, but still. My biggest gripe were the store bought chips. My wife didnt think the enchiladas were great. It’s fine and I will probably go back since it’s in the hood, but I was hoping for better. 

On 1/12/2019 at 6:57 PM, Neonmoon said:

Just got back from El Dorado. I agree with “it’s okay”. The queso was decent, but the salsa was not really salsa. I know they weren’t going for traditional, but still. My biggest gripe were the store bought chips. My wife didnt think the enchiladas were great. It’s fine and I will probably go back since it’s in the hood, but I was hoping for better. 

Go for breakfast.