"Big" movies you've never seen

GhostOfTomJoad

17 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I remember riding on the bus to elementary school the day after it aired on regular network TV (you know, back when there were 3 channels (PBS didn't really count as a channel to us).  

All we could talk about was the horse head scene.  

I was too young to watch it in the initial theatrical release, but all the cool kids talked about that scene back in the day, as well.

9 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

some of you fuckers are not complete as men or human beings.  seriously, i'm not a film geek and don't even post in the forum that often but you guys are missing out on some world class movies that have helped form our culture.  you owe it to yourself, and to everyone that knows you, to educate and elevate yourself and watch some of these movies.

Fuck you.  I'm not watching Ishtar, don't care who's in it. 

Edited by Underdog
GDit!

19 hours ago, Js1 said:

Big Lebowski 

caddyshack

groundhog day 

I don’t think I’ve seen animal house all the way through 

Blazing saddles 

any Clint Eastwood movie besides Gran Torino 

Wow.  I'm going to guess we can also add Young Frankenstein, This is Spinal Tap,  and Monty Python (all of them) to your list.  

My list - nothing.  I've seen everything worth seeing.  Except Chariots of Fire.  

18 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Star Wars

Lord of the Rings

Inception

The Godfather

Boogie Nights

The Shawshank Redemption

Harry Potter

Caddyshack

Blazing Saddles

Animal House 

any super hero or comic book movie 

I have to ask, so do you just not watch movies at home?  No Redbox, on demand, Hbo.  None of that?  

Years ago I wash having a convo with a friend 10 years younger than me. I was talking about the summer movie series at the Paramount & how Casablanca & Citizen Kane were being screened on back to back weekends. She said she'd never seen them & never would because she refused to watch anything in B&W.

We weren't friends much longer.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Years ago I wash having a convo with a friend 10 years younger than me. I was talking about the summer movie series at the Paramount & how Casablanca & Citizen Kane were being screened on back to back weekends. She said she'd never seen them & never would because she refused to watch anything in B&W.

We weren't friends much longer.

That is a phenomenon that utterly baffles me in some ways.  The son is like that, and I want to smack his ass right over the head for even saying it.  He's an otherwise very open minded, and smart kid.  Seems to be a generational thing.

The folks saying The Godfather are also blowing my F'ing mind.  I'm wondering what age group this is coming from.  Anything over 35 or so, and it's a definite head scratcher.

12 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Citizen Kane is/was my wife's favorite movie, but as I've said, I've never watched it.  Not sure she's watched it since back in school when she saw it the first time. 

Then is it really favorite movie ?.....  

My opinion of it's changed over the years.  

21 minutes ago, Underdog said:

She's more of a reader than movie watcher, mainly goes for the popcorn.  I wonder how many women can watch movies repeatedly like us fellas do. 

Not many. The wife will ask what I'm watching then say, haven't you seen that already ?  I never understand the question....

• Like 1

Don't have kids so there are very few "kids" animations we've seen. None of the Toy Story, Shrek, etc. Did see Bolt & Up (loved both).

I'm shocked how many times The Godfather is showing up. I bet I've seen episodes I and II at least once a year over the last 30 years. And my viewings of Casablanca & Citizen Kane exceed that. They are simply perfect art.

Somebody said they'd never seen Goodfellas which is almost more shocking. Marty losing the Best Director/Film Oscars to Costner/Dances With Wolves is ALMOST as criminal to losing to Redford/Ordinary People with Raging Bull.

7 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I have to ask, so do you just not watch movies at home?  No Redbox, on demand, Hbo.  None of that?  

i really suck at doing that honestly. hg hooked me up with a great list of movies and i've knocked a few of them out (the natural, butch & sundance, the sting, to name a few) and even sent me a flash drive with some movies on it but i just rarely sit down to watch a movie. maybe it's my attention span, but i use netflix, hulu, et al to watch a ton of tv shows but rarely movies for whatever reason. i've gotten a little better at it, but not enough, clearly. 

i really suck at doing that honestly. hg hooked me up with a great list of movies and i've knocked a few of them out (the natural, butch & sundance, the sting, to name a few) and even sent me a flash drive with some movies on it but i just rarely sit down to watch a movie. maybe it's my attention span, but i use netflix, hulu, et al to watch a ton of tv shows but rarely movies for whatever reason. i've gotten a little better at it, but not enough, clearly. 

Cool. That explains it at least. Keep working HG’s list.

7 hours ago, Underdog said:

Citizen Kane is/was my wife's favorite movie, but as I've said, I've never watched it.  Not sure she's watched it since back in school when she saw it the first time. 

Watch a random selection of a half dozen movies made in the 1930's. Then watch Citizen Kane. When I tune into an old b&w movie on TCM it's pretty easy to quickly guess whether it was made before or after Kane.