Cody Wilson (Austin 3D gun guy) charged with sexual assault of a child

DanRydell

The Austin man has been in the national spotlight in recent months for his controversial 3D-printed gun company, Defense Distributed. According to police documents, Cody Wilson has been charged with sexual assault of a child.

Author: Shawna Reding, Jenni Lee

Published: 9:46 AM CDT September 7, 2018
Updated: 9:32 AM CDT September 19, 2018

AUSTIN — Cody Wilson, the Austin man who owns controversial 3D-printed gun company Defense Distributed, has been accused of sexually assaulting a child, an affidavit obtained by KVUE reveals.

During a forensic interview with the Center with Child Protection on Aug. 27, the victim told counselors she met Wilson through the website, SugarDaddyMeet.com. Court documents show Wilson used the profile, "Sanjuro," and told the victim that he was a "big deal." During the conversation, he also identified himself as "Cody Wilson." Police said the two exchanged cell phone numbers and continued their conversations using the Apple iMessage service on her phone.

The affidavit doesn't specify her age, but identified her as a "juvenile female under the age of 17."

The victim told police that on Aug. 15, she and Wilson met in person in the parking lot of Bennu Coffee on 515 South Congress Ave. Court documents show Wilson showed up in a black Ford Edge four door sports utility vehicle with a license plate that matches one registered to Wilson's business, Defense Distributed. Court documents show there was surveillance video of this meeting.

The victim then told police that Wilson took her to the Archer Hotel at 3121 Palm Way. Surveillance cameras captured the two using the valet service, in the lobby and in the elevator.

The victim also said Wilson took her to room 718 where he allegedly sexually assaulted her. Afterwards, she said he paid her $500.

Wilson is not in custody.

Wilson said at a press conference in August that, despite a federal judge's order to block access to the files on the company's website, he is selling the gun blueprints by emailing them and by mailing them on USB drives. Wilson said this is a secure way of communication that was not included in the judge's order.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/austin-man-behind-3d-printed-gun-company-charged-with-child-sex-assault/591851213

15 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

AUSTIN — Cody Wilson, the Austin man who owns controversial 3D-printed gun company Defense Distributed, has been accused of sexually assaulting a child, an affidavit obtained by KVUE reveals.

Wilson is not in custody.

I'd be curious to know 1) What's the date on the affidavit, and 2) how did KVUE obtain it, and 3) why is he not in custody? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Lots of mention of surveillance video. Sounds like a sting operation. I wonder if he brought all the heat upon himself or if this is independent of the gun kerfluffle.

They're not going to let a minor actually get sexually assaulted as a sting. They would have someone pose as a minor, get him to offer money for sex, and then pop him. It seems like they got tipped off somehow and were able to go back and get the videos before were they recorded over.

Edited by DanRydell
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Cops bust the girl on an alternative sting, she agrees to go against the guy to get charges dropped. She says what they tell her to.

The fuck?
The affidavit stated they had sex. I'm not entirely sure I can see an officer getting someone under the age of 17 to go completely through with the fucking. Sting to get him to agree to fuck a minor and pay for the sex, maybe. Sting to get him to "enagaged in sexual intercourse and oral sex on the hotel room's bed" ? If they did that, then burn the fucking department to the ground.

Edit: And the good news for this guy is that the girl's counselor was involved, so she is also covering up for the cops... OR... she'll have some pretty damning testimony when he goes to trial.

Edited by relapse98
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

What I said was she got busted by a sting post catching this guy on video with the girl. IN other words, they specifically set up a sting after discovery. They busted her for attempted prostitution, and leaned on her to turn against Wilson so that her charges are dropped. Which I firmly believe she would do at the drop of a hat.  

Based on the affidavit, neither of those things are true.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You've read the affidavit? Did not see it in the link above. 

Its in #14.

After reading it, can you try and explain your alternative a little more clearly? It really seemed like you started out with "i'm not defending this guy but let me blame the 16 or younger victim", which seemed a bit 'off'.

55 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I heard this guy on a podcast recently.  He's a piece of shit.  Thinks he's some super smart guy on a mission, but is just an attention whore.  I hope he goes away for a long time.

This.  I heard an interview with this guy recently (maybe on NPR).  Seemed like a complete ass.  The interviewer would ask thoughtful questions, and his response to every question was both moronic (he basically answered every question with some version of "because I believe in the 2nd amendment") and said in the most condescending tone imaginable.  

2 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

This.  I heard an interview with this guy recently (maybe on NPR).  Seemed like a complete ass.  The interviewer would ask thoughtful questions, and his response to every question was both moronic (he basically answered every question with some version of "because I believe in the 2nd amendment") and said in the most condescending tone imaginable.  

No wai! 

This guy?

-

In addition to his 3D gun activism, Wilson also founded “Hatreon” in 2017, an alternative crowdfunding site catering to individuals and groups shut out of mainstream fundraising platforms, like white nationalists and neo-Nazis. 

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

We have no way of knowing why she decided to go to the police or if the police busted her prompting her statement in order to avoid charges. 

Perhaps she just felt bad about it after and went to police. 

You should read it again. She told her counselor about it. A counselor is a mandatory reporter in Texas, so the counselor contacted the police.

• Like 1

My good friend got popped in college for a somewhat similar situation (not really/sort of).

he was at a frat party and met this cute skanky chick. His roommate and he take he up and fuck her. 

Turns out this girl is 14 and very, very fucked up. She has been fucking anyone for most of her life and was basically a free hooker that the frats at SWTX we’re passing around for months.

One year after she fucked my friend she is sitting with a prosecutor and her social worker and CASA flipping through a mug book to find some other perv that she fucked - she came across my friends buddy’s mug shot. He was popped for possession of weed in HS. 

That sad wretch didn’t recognize any of the other perpetrators of years of abuse but found him. He and my friend went on trial. 

Now, my friend was very well connected and his family had the absolute best relationship possible with the entire prosecutors office. They told him their hands were tied and he had to take the plea, so he did. 2mo jail time (served on weekends) and 10 yrs probation with sex offender status. 

His friend went to war. There had been a hired police officer at the door checking IDs, it was a college party, the girl had admitted to living in SM for many months by sleeping with a different student every night. She hung out on campus and would often ate in the student union. She had lied and said she was a student to everyone she met at the college. 

He spent $30k and got 6yrs plus the probation. 

Edited by Doc Reeves

17 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Final thought to your third question. 

I don't have the time to look it up, however, I'm not clear on the law and I might have misspoken. 

If someone is under the impression, told or deceived to believe that the person they are having sex with is 17 or older, and the reality is that they are under 17, is that actually a crime under Texas law? 

If not, it would explain why he's not charged. 

Either way, the fact that the full affidavit got out to Vice, a strong anti-gun proponent, should tell you a lot about #2. This likely released quickly by design. 

Statutory rape is a charge. It's covered by a statute that regards the age of consent.

14 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Either way, the fact that the full affidavit got out to Vice, a strong anti-gun proponent, should tell you a lot about #2. This likely released quickly by design. 

The affidavit was filed with the court at 9:04AM and the KVUE web article went up at 9:46AM. Yeah, the cops put this on blast. ( Nothing wrong with that as long as the police work behind it is solid).  Could be why he's not in custody (yet).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, destroya said:

It’s a crime to have sex with a minor even if they lie and say they are 17 or over. There may be exceptions if the adult is not much older than 17 or both are minors; none of them apply to Cody Wilson. 

Yeah, if the suspected perp is within 3 years of age to the alleged victim then there is some leeway on prosecution. Just depends on the circumstances.

Final thought to your third question. 

I don't have the time to look it up, however, I'm not clear on the law and I might have misspoken. 

If someone is under the impression, told or deceived to believe that the person they are having sex with is 17 or older, and the reality is that they are under 17, is that actually a crime under Texas law? 

If not, it would explain why he's not charged. 

Yes, it’s felony sexual assault under Texas law.

He has been charged, he just hasn’t been arrested yet. The affidavit is a charging document, signed by a magistrate, authorizing his arrest and setting bond at $150k plus surrender of his passport and a no contact order.

3 minutes ago, Smax said:

It's wrong that the victim can set up an account on the sugar daddy sit, meeting adult knowing she's under age. Not saying the guy is innocent but that is a straight up troll job by that girl

If the sight is facilitating sex for money, how the fuck is it not also responsible for this girls abuse? That’s the fucking definition of white slavery 

13 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

And doesn't last very long.

Heh. I saw that too. IF I spent 500 bucks for some chick, its damn sure gonna go longer than 40 minutes, especially if I already knew the cops were watching the shit out of me. Alas, he's just a younger version of Subway's Jared.

I think however wrong it is for a 16 year old to try and make money from having sex and to use online websites to do it, it's more wrong for a 30 year old to entertain that transaction, and it's even more wrong for him to fuck her.  One thing I don't know is whether she told him that she was underage.  It doesn't matter because statutory rape is basically a go directly to jail, do not pass go type of thing.  But I would punish him less if he genuinely believed she was of age.

It strikes me as kind of severe that someone could go to prison over an honest mistake, but at the same time, the government REALLY wants to protect minors.  Buyer beware.  This guy clearly does not beware.

15 minutes ago, Smax said:

It's wrong that the victim can set up an account on the sugar daddy sit, meeting adult knowing she's under age. Not saying the guy is innocent but that is a straight up troll job by that girl

Welcome to the excuse every underage fucker has used since the beginning of time, " I didn't know she was underage your honor, I promise "

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I won't defend this guy, neither will I condemn him. 

This guy has pissed off a lot of powerful authority. He might be an asshole. He might be guilty of the crimes for which he is accused. 

However, the information provided here is very, very suspect. 

I could easily see this happening a very different way. 

Police were already watching the shit out of this guy. He picks up basically a hooker from a website. She quite possibly lies about her age. He has sex.

Cops bust the girl on an alternative sting, she agrees to go against the guy to get charges dropped. She says what they tell her to.

I don't know this happened either but the alternative is.. .

A girl was on sugardaddymeet.com She meets a guy in a restaurant. She reveals she is underage. Even though he knows he has a lot of heat on him, he invites her to a hotel. She agrees. She goes to hotel and decides that she doesn't want to have sex. He pushed the issue. Sex occurs and he still pays her $500, which despite being sexually assaulted while underage, she accepts. 

Occams Razor

For as many people that get up in arms about police issues in the US on this website there are a lot of you that jump to believe them if you don't like the guy being charged. 

You're just making shit up to fit your narrative. No where does it say she said she didn't want to have sex/he pushed the issue. It's sexual assault because she is under 17 (17 is age of consent in Texas). We don't know how much under. Could be 16, could be 15, could be 14, etc. She lacks the legal ability to consent, and the act alone is a crime of sexual assault, even if she "consented." 

Don't fuck teenagers if you're over 30. It's not that hard, despite what Roy Moore might tell you. 

• Like 3

If the sight is facilitating sex for money, how the fuck is it not also responsible for this girls abuse? That’s the fucking definition of white slavery 
Took years to shut down Backpage, but I believe they did it. The sugardaddy shit sounds more like BP than a dating site, so I assume someone is already on getting it shuttered.

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I won't defend this guy, neither will I condemn him. 

This guy has pissed off a lot of powerful authority. He might be an asshole. He might be guilty of the crimes for which he is accused. 

However, the information provided here is very, very suspect. 

I could easily see this happening a very different way. 

Police were already watching the shit out of this guy. He picks up basically a hooker from a website. She quite possibly lies about her age. He has sex.

I don't know this happened either but the alternative is.. .

A girl was on sugardaddymeet.com She meets a guy in a restaurant. She reveals she is underage. Even though he knows he has a lot of heat on him, he invites her to a hotel. She agrees. She goes to hotel and decides that she doesn't want to have sex. He pushed the issue. Sex occurs and he still pays her $500, which despite being sexually assaulted while underage, she accepts. 

Occams Razor

For as many people that get up in arms about police issues in the US on this website there are a lot of you that jump to believe them if you don't like the guy being charged. 

This is so stupid

• Like 1