Gumbo

1978horn

I haven’t checked into this thread on this site but followed closely on the previous site.

I made a batch of gumbo about 8 weeks ago and tried something new that was awesome. I bought two of the little cheap lobster tails from the seafood counter. Gutted the meat out and set it aside and then threw those shells in with my shrimp shells to make the stock. Then threw the tail meat into the gumbo 20 minutes prior to serving. 

It obviously doesn’t add much protein to the dish but definitely kicked up the flavor.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 12/24/2020 at 7:52 PM, Orange&White said:

I haven’t checked into this thread on this site but followed closely on the previous site.

I made a batch of gumbo about 8 weeks ago and tried something new that was awesome. I bought two of the little cheap lobster tails from the seafood counter. Gutted the meat out and set it aside and then threw those shells in with my shrimp shells to make the stock. Then threw the tail meat into the gumbo 20 minutes prior to serving. 

It obviously doesn’t add much protein to the dish but definitely kicked up the flavor.

I usually make seafood gumbo. Shrimp, crab, oysters.  Throwing a couple of those small shell lobsters in there kicks it up to 11. 

• Drool 1

19 hours ago, luke duke said:

Anyone ever made their roux with bacon grease?

A couple recipes I have call for doing that. I have a pot on right now, but I didn’t have enough bacon grease, so I used what I had to sauté the andouille and then used the grease from that with more butter for the roux.  

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, luke duke said:

Anyone ever made their roux with bacon grease?

I tried the first time I made a roux and burned it.  Now that I have a better idea how to make a roux (didn't realize how serious they were about that whole constantly stir thing), I am sure it would be great.  

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

clarified butter will get to damn near 600.

aka "Ghee".

We did HoneyBaked Ham and Turkey Breast for T'Giving, so my lilbro insisted on turkey and dressing for XMas.

Post feast, I stripped the carcass and made two quarts of rich gelatinous stock. The next day did turkey and sausage gumbo.

I started the roux in the oven, Alton style, while I prepared everything else, and then finished on the stove.

It was excellent and I'll be finishing it for lunch today.

Did something new for this batch — before putting in the chicken, I browned it in bacon grease. Seemed like a good idea after a couple beers.

The Donald Link cookbook has one with full on fried chicken so sure. Maybe one day I’ll take the time to try it. You fry the chicken and then use that oil to start the roux.

On 1/2/2021 at 2:12 PM, South Austin said:

Did something new for this batch — before putting in the chicken, I browned it in bacon grease. Seemed like a good idea after a couple beers.

I always brown the chicken and the sausage, and at least sweat the veggies, before adding them to the gumbo. Just adds another layer of flavor in my experience.

Since the weather was turning really cold and in tribute to MF DOOM (RIP) I decide to whip up a healthy batch of gumbo. I used the oven roux method this time. A much easier way of making the roux than the constant stirring stove method. I then halved the Mr. B’s recipe from the first page. I thought it turned out quite nicely.

16FC20A2-3AE5-4586-ACDB-D704DE2CCFBB.jpeg

D4DA488A-20BE-4390-8365-F4052F7D94B2.jpeg

8928A637-17CB-4A92-B305-B812C0F8286E.jpeg

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Given this brisk July weather, I thought I’d make some gumbo. For whatever reason I’ve never been a big fan of seafood in my gumbo. I’ll eat it, but my Cajun friend who taught me how to make gumbo always stuck to chicken and sausage, so that’s what I’ve done. 

But when I was in Rosemary Beach in June I made shrimp risotto for the crowd and for the first time ever made my own stock from the shrimp shells, and it was a mother fucking game changer. So I’m getting started early on a Saturday by making the shrimp stock and popping open a crisp Texas pale ale. Will post finished pics.

8AF51703-E501-46A5-AD0B-B71E9986D9A7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Given this brisk July weather, I thought I’d make some gumbo. For whatever reason I’ve never been a big fan of seafood in my gumbo. I’ll eat it, but my Cajun friend who taught me how to make gumbo always stuck to chicken and sausage, so that’s what I’ve done. 
But when I was in Rosemary Beach in June I made shrimp risotto for the crowd and for the first time ever made my own stock from the shrimp shells, and it was a mother fucking game changer. So I’m getting started early on a Saturday by making the shrimp stock and popping open a crisp Texas pale ale. Will post finished pics.
8AF51703-E501-46A5-AD0B-B71E9986D9A7.thumb.jpeg.ddfcaa58ef70c7954a0c9c8b818df2a3.jpeg

Making your own seafood stock is so f’n key. And it’s a way to use all those shrimp shells. Shrimp heads take it to 11.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/2/2021 at 8:43 PM, PantsTent said:

The Donald Link cookbook has one with full on fried chicken so sure. Maybe one day I’ll take the time to try it. You fry the chicken and then use that oil to start the roux.

We do a modified version of his.  Dredge, season, and fry chicken thighs.  Set them aside, add andouille to the chicken grease/drippings.  Set aside the andouille, add bacon grease to the pot of chicken and andouille grease.  Add flour, make roux as dark as you can without burning. 

Add trinity, trow everything else back in da pot, plus your stock and seasonings, bay leaves and let it simmer for however long you can stand it.  Right before serving, fish out the chicken skin, bones, knuckles.

Dammit, now I'm wishing I'd chosen gumbo to make tomorrow.  Will have to settle for shrimp creole, I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Tell me this - for a restaurant serving gumbo, do they keep a base going all day & on an order, throw down some seafood & give it 6 or 7 minutes?

I can't see them passing out rubber shrimp that's been drowned for 6 hours.

¿What do?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

I'm kind of a gumbo rookie.  Can someone point me in the direction of a good base gumbo recipe to start with?

"Start with a roux..."...what's next?

Cup of flour; cup of oil.  Stir on medium/medium low heat for as long as it takes to get it looking like dark chocolate.  Add onion, green pepper, and celery.  Stir until the trio softens up.  Add lots of stock (4--6 cups) and gumbo spices (see internet).  Add sausage.  Simmer for an hour or two.  You've got a lb of cooked chicken sitting aside and seasoned.  Add that.  Simmer another hour.  After, add green onion and gumbo file.  Serve over rice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Cup of flour; cup of oil.  Stir on medium/medium low heat for as long as it takes to get it looking like dark chocolate.  Add onion, green pepper, and celery.  Stir until the trio softens up.  Add lots of stock (4--6 cups) and gumbo spices (see internet).  Add sausage.  Simmer for an hour or two.  You've got a lb of cooked chicken sitting aside and seasoned.  Add that.  Simmer another hour.  After, add green onion and gumbo file.  Serve over rice.

That really is about it. Use stock, preferably homemade. It makes such a difference.

Same goes for shrimp, mixed seafood, duck, etc.

Add okra if you want. Or not.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dcbc said:

Sausage question (#nohomo/nttawwt):  I put my sausage in during the last 30-45 minutes before serving.  Yours is simmering for 2-3 hours.  I've thought that putting in the sausage that early might affect its texture, make it a bit rubbery.  Just like you don't want to put chicken in for too long because it'll break down and get stringy.  Have I got it wrong?

Other than that, you've pretty much got my recipe spot on, with enough wiggle room for adjustments and personal preference.  And by my recipe, I mean distilling stuff from a collection of recipes in Talk About Good and watching my Cajun friend make gumbo over the years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Sausage question (#nohomo/nttawwt):  I put my sausage in during the last 30-45 minutes before serving.  Yours is simmering for 2-3 hours.  I've thought that putting in the sausage that early might affect its texture, make it a bit rubbery.  Just like you don't want to put chicken in for too long because it'll break down and get stringy.  Have I got it wrong?

Other than that, you've pretty much got my recipe spot on, with enough wiggle room for adjustments and personal preference.  And by my recipe, I mean distilling stuff from a collection of recipes in Talk About Good and watching my Cajun friend make gumbo over the years.

Same recipe except I just throw it all in, including the chicken after adding the stock and simmer for a couple hours.  Never had an issue with either being rubbery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

Same recipe except I just throw it all in, including the chicken after adding the stock and simmer for a couple hours.  Never had an issue with either being rubbery. 

If I simmer chicken too long, it can break down and get a bit stringy.  I've never had that problem with sausage, though -- it just gets tender, and by simmering it in there for a while, the flavor gets into the broth.

And second the recommendation on seafood.  A typical summer seafood gumbo for us would be some fish we caught (trout, reds, etc.), shrimp, and crab.  Make stock with the shrimp shells before hand.  Add the fish and shrimp at the very end of the cook (like 3-5 minutes before you plan on turning the heat off).  Crab, if it's picked already, goes on top at the end.  If it's still in the shell (but cooked -- we always boiled the crab in crab boil beforehand), then toss it in with the shrimp, to heat through.  Oysters go in after you turn the heat off (but make sure you used all the oyster liquor in your stock already). 

Oh, and a few years ago, @Pescado_Rojo told me he had started to toss in a couple of cans of diced tomatoes and green chiles an hour or so before the end.  I've done that, and it's a nice add -- adds just a touch of color and some zing to the broth.

Edited by Brisketexan

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also....still have my last three ducks from last season in the freezer.....it may be time to start thinking of my first pot of gumbo for the cool weather season.

My kids love it when I throw in some duck.  And for good measure, when I do that I make my roux with rendered duck fat instead of vegetable oil.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

My kids love it when I throw in some duck.  And for good measure, when I do that I make my roux with rendered duck fat instead of vegetable oil.

One word of caution, though -- wild duck and domestic duck are two very different additions.  Wild duck has a much stronger flavor, as does their fat (which isn't as thick or as clean/clear as domestic duck anyway).  When I cook down my wild duck, the broth is VERY strong-tasting, and a little goes a LONG way.  Again, this is in case you ever get your hand on wild waterfowl -- they are truly different.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

One word of caution, though -- wild duck and domestic duck are two very different additions.  Wild duck has a much stronger flavor, as does their fat (which isn't as thick or as clean/clear as domestic duck anyway).  When I cook down my wild duck, the broth is VERY strong-tasting, and a little goes a LONG way.  Again, this is in case you ever get your hand on wild waterfowl -- they are truly different.

I use domestic duck from Central Market.  Not a hunter and don't have access to wild duck.  But good to know.

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I use domestic duck from Central Market.  Not a hunter and don't have access to wild duck.  But good to know.

Understood.  Just a word for our fellow readers who may have access to both.  I know that you are a fancy sophisticate who doesn't get his hands dirty.

• Like 1

I've never had an issue with the sausage getting rubbery from simmering for that much time.  Got it from a recipe somewhere at some point. 

I really need to do the homemade stock thing.  Easy enough, but requires that I plan ahead.  Intended to do it last Thanksgiving, but the leftover turkey legs in the freezer ended up being ham bones.  So I made hamstock, which, though good, wasn't going in the gumbo.

Also, South Austin mentioned adding a little soy sauce at some point in this thread, which I have started doing.  I'm not sure I notice a difference, but it's just part of my process at this point.