Ldogg53

Gym Pet Peeves

32 minutes ago, Doze said:

In my opinion, anything that you can do for an hour and half is not stressful enough.  Some say that this practice is actual catabolic and not anabolic.........which is fine if you wanna look like a 5'10" Manute Bol.  I would favor some form of HIIT workout.

Get back to me when you’ve trained for and run a sub-4:00 marathon. Let me know if it’s stressful enough for you.  

Just now, nnm said:

Get back to me when you’ve trained for and run a sub-4:00 marathon. Let me know if it’s stressful enough for you.  

You train for marathons in a gym?  I'm talking about high stress rates like heavy deadlifts not workouts that REQUIRE you to do them forever because the stress rates are so low.   Knock yourself out if like long distance stuff.  I just have no desire to look like this guy.  Looks sickly to me.

spacer.png

12 hours ago, South Austin said:

I'm a liberal arts major, but can't you just start another cycle when the first 60 minutes are up?

Other than the liberal arts major part, this is exactly what your mom said to me last night.

Edit: Did I do that right?

9 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Other than the liberal arts major part, this is exactly what your mom said to me last night.

Edit: Did I do that right?

According to my mom, it was "seconds," not "minutes."  Other than that, yes, you did it right.

23 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Are these conversations with your mom awkward?

Only when she talks about your small penis size.  I really don't need those details.

16 hours ago, Doze said:

You train for marathons in a gym?  I'm talking about high stress rates like heavy deadlifts not workouts that REQUIRE you to do them forever because the stress rates are so low.   Knock yourself out if like long distance stuff.  I just have no desire to look like this guy.  Looks sickly to me.

spacer.png

That guy is running a sub 2:20 marathon, not a 4:00 marathon.  In fact you are actually both right.  Nobody who is training for a 4 hr marathon or even a 3 hr marathon is doing just long runs.  In fact, back in my heavy running days, I would rarely do even more than 30 miles in one week and no more than 7 miles in one workout.  However, about half of those miles were done on the track or hills doing interval work in an effort to get my one mile time under 5 minutes.  Once I was able to do that, I would occasionally train with my marathon friends and do a 15 or 20 mile run and even did a 25 mile run which I finished well under 3hrs.  All during this time I had a steady diet of push ups, various pull ups and core work and steadied out at about 168 lbs at 5'-11".  I never did an actual marathon for the sole reason that I would probably have taken my training seriously to get a really good time and that would have involved a lot more distance work which would have hurt my mile time or 5K times.

But I can assure you that all of the 200s and 400s I did to prepare me for long runs were extremely stressful and I never set foot in a gym for years on end.