skittlebrau

Austin City Government - Circus of the Insane

Posted (edited)

Something for you guys to start thinking about. It's possible that there is going to be some radical city charter amendments next spring for Austin voters.

Essentially, it would convert Austin's government from a Council/Manager format where the mayor is mostly ceremonial (outside of emergency declarations) and has an equal voice to other council members to a Council/Strong Mayor System where the elected mayor basically runs the city government which is how most large cities work like Houston, Chicago, Philly, NY, San Diego etc. It would also:

-Move the election for Mayor to presidential years because of higher voter turnout starting in 2024

-Add another city council district to keep the number of city council members an odd number since the mayor would not be on the council.

I don't know how I would vote on this yet however I do think it would be great to put it on a ballot for voters to decide. The system we have now provides for stability but poor flexibility. A strong mayor system can better reflect a community due to the head of the government being more motivated around issues as oppose to the status quo with city managers like Cronk. 

Edited by Pasken

What would Adler do with this power?

Would the City Council be able to overrule the mayor?

What if (remote possibility) Fitlump gets on the City Council?

It's a no from me dog on the strong arm mayor idea.  It seems like a reversion to the old system where the old Austin guard will get their guy/gal in the mayor's seat and he/she can basically run the city how they see fit.  Maintaining the status quo and having the city manager serve at the pleasure of a diverse council that represents the cross-section of austin sounds like a much better system than a overly powerful executive that may only be accountable to a few key constituencies.   We've seen what strengthening the executive has done at the federal level over the last 50 years.  Not a fan.  And I don't really give a shit how most large cities are run.  Most large cities are run very poorly.  

On 8/17/2020 at 9:49 AM, workswithseed said:

Ha, this is great.

Bill Hicks hasn't aged well.

4 hours ago, Pasken said:

Something for you guys to start thinking about. It's possible that there is going to be some radical city charter amendments next spring for Austin voters.

Essentially, it would convert Austin's government from a Council/Manager format where the mayor is mostly ceremonial (outside of emergency declarations) and has an equal voice to other council members to a Council/Strong Mayor System where the elected mayor basically runs the city government which is how most large cities work like Houston, Chicago, Philly, NY, San Diego etc. It would also:

-Move the election for Mayor to presidential years because of higher voter turnout starting in 2024

-Add another city council district to keep the number of city council members an odd number since the mayor would not be on the council.

I don't know how I would vote on this yet however I do think it would be great to put it on a ballot for voters to decide. The system we have now provides for stability but poor flexibility. A strong mayor system can better reflect a community due to the head of the government being more motivated around issues as oppose to the status quo with city managers like Cronk. 

I keep hearing this stuff from AURA types and I’m a hard pass. I’d far rather have apolitical professional administrators in charge than subject the daily operation of city services to electoral politics in the form of an executive mayor. No thank you.  

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

What would Adler do with this power?

Would the City Council be able to overrule the mayor?

What if (remote possibility) Fitlump gets on the City Council?

Or what if she is our first strong mayor and runs the austin city government? 

1 hour ago, destroya said:

What a fuck ass shit show of a council. Let’s pander to every fucking constituency at the expense of running a functioning city. 

The homeless, drug addicts, and bicyclists are every constituency?

4 hours ago, demos said:

They need to ticket every fucking cyclist that doesn’t use them, which from my experience downtown these past few months is a good number of them.