Jump to content
immamac

2019 Board Improvement Thread

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, with the new year I wanted to spend more time on the site improving it from a usability perspective.

Main things I'm thinking now are better twitter integrations and possibly a new way to interact with the game thread that feels more like "chat" but keeps the same layout/format

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be an unpopular suggestion but it would likely improve page load times while increasing clicks.

Set the posts per page to 25 or 30 instead of 50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No solution, but to add to page load time issue above, the most frustrating thing about the board is when you jump to a new post in the middle of a thread full of tweets/images and the page jumps around on you multiple times while you’re trying to read.  Especially frustrating when it’s a single piece of content thats simply being quoted by multiple people and loading over and over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can you find a fix for the double post glitch? Seems to happen when you post a reply from a page that isn't the last page in the thread. The page does nothing so you can't tell you already posted and like a dumbass keep hitting submit.

I like the new touches with the forum names. Might I suggest a Sugar Bowl Bevo background? 

Edited by RPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spystud13 said:

And ban kopp0e. Jesus fuck, he’s a beating with the tweets. 

/thread.

Suriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, spystud13 said:

And ban kopp0e. Jesus fuck, he’s a beating with the tweets. 

If so, you might want to add Hugo.    Or at least call the Cloak Room "Twitter"

Edited by EuroHorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

No solution, but to add to page load time issue above, the most frustrating thing about the board is when you jump to a new post in the middle of a thread full of tweets/images and the page jumps around on you multiple times while you’re trying to read.  Especially frustrating when it’s a single piece of content thats simply being quoted by multiple people and loading over and over again.

I don't experience this often, but I have in the past. If you just let the page load it actually scrolls back to the intended spot automatically. 

I'll look into something that will improve this behavior though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, immamac said:

I don't experience this often, but I have in the past. If you just let the page load it actually scrolls back to the intended spot automatically. 

I'll look into something that will improve this behavior though. 

You’re correct, if I wait it’ll fully load and put me at the right spot.  The problem is that I’m an impatient asshole and even though I understand what happening when the page is loading in the browser I still try to read the posts before it’s fully loaded.

The only thing I’ve thought that could help with this is the same unpopular suggestion listed above my first post, or if you had the functionality to auto collapse quote windows like spoilers.

This is not that big of a deal, but if you were asking for improvement suggestions that is the biggest one in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, has the time to edit been increased yet? Not only does it seem like it’s really short, but I liked in the past that it didn’t notate that the post was edited if you fixed something in the first couple minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so much a request as a question, but is there a way to see how many times I (or anyone) have posted in a given thread? The old board had that feature and I used it occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious if there’s a way to increase the font size. It’s hard to read the Surl while driving with my fading eye sight and random pedestrians on the sidewalk jumping out in front of me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Not so much a request as a question, but is there a way to see how many times I (or anyone) have posted in a given thread? The old board had that feature and I used it occasionally.

Hugo broke that function.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The side menu says "Daily Texan" and "Best Buy Coupons," but the top of the screen says "Current Events" and "For Sale."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll second coming up with funnier names for the different areas.  Its a lot more fun to go to RC Didn't Offer than it is to go to Recruiting. I'm unfortunately not bright enough to come up with better names, but surely someone here is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2019 at 12:53 AM, spystud13 said:

And ban kopp0e. Jesus fuck, he’s a beating with the tweets. 

the NBA season thread has been overrun with these tweets, and despite everyone not named vic asking him to stop over and over and over, it only continues. we've even made a dedicated thread for nba social media and memes, but he and vic think it's just hilarious to piss everyone off, so the nba thread remains cluttered with social media shit that nobody wants to see. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 3:06 AM, spystud13 said:

It’s noticeably bad on iPad, less so on PC. 

i use my mobile browser and it's terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 7:55 AM, SquishMitten said:

I liked in the past that it didn’t notate that the post was edited if you fixed something in the first couple minutes.

Also, this. The first minute or so to fix a simple typo doesn’t need the notation. It’s pretty irrelevant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ability to delete posts?  That would be nice.  Especially when I make 4 or 5 duplicates by mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ability to delete posts?  That would be nice.  Especially when I make 4 or 5 duplicates by mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ability to delete posts?  That would be nice.  Especially when I make 4 or 5 duplicates by mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ability to delete posts?  That would be nice.  Especially when I make 4 or 5 duplicates by mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

report the tweet spammers and I'll get them taken care of. 

I'll open a ticket with invision to see if there is a way to keep the board from jumping around while it's in the loading phase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s not technically spamming, he just never posts an original thought. Every single tweet he sees that could potentially be relevant to any thread gets posted. He’s the main reason most of us have the page-jumping problem on football & basketball threads. 

Here’s just one very small sample. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, you can integrate your twitter with surly now in your profiles if you so choose. You can also log in with twitter instead of username/password!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, immamac said:

BTW, you can integrate your twitter with surly now in your profiles if you so choose. You can also log in with twitter instead of username/password!

You're trying to dox us all, aren't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 2:01 PM, Goo Punch said:

the NBA season thread has been overrun with these tweets, and despite everyone not named vic asking him to stop over and over and over, it only continues. we've even made a dedicated thread for nba social media and memes, but he and vic think it's just hilarious to piss everyone off, so the nba thread remains cluttered with social media shit that nobody wants to see. 

 

On 1/7/2019 at 2:15 PM, immamac said:

report the tweet spammers and I'll get them taken care of. 

I'll open a ticket with invision to see if there is a way to keep the board from jumping around while it's in the loading phase.

The ignore function would fix this for those annoyed by it, would it not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

 

The ignore function would fix this for those annoyed by it, would it not?

it's an awful lot of people to have on ignore just for one thread.

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not directly a board issue, but maybe do some sort of contest that the winner gets a penis enlargement.  I mean I wouldn’t enter, but I have a friend who posts that could use it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm might be the only one here that would like this, but I would appreciate an option in my profile/settings to disable embedded tweets entirely.  I'd rather scroll past a link to twitter that I won't read than have all that embedded shit cluttering up the page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 4:02 PM, DDD Dad said:

You're trying to dox us all, aren't you?

DDDon't you know it!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we please stop the consistent "allow notifications, yes, not at this time" from popping up every time I go to a new page or forum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imma:

Thanks for all the hard work man... It's such a great place for the surly to hang out.

I've been having a Tapa issue lately on multiple Android devices. Whenever I try to go to Timeline or Unread in Tapa, I get a memory allocation error. I also get the same error when I try to search the board for posts on this...searched "memory error" and got a memory error. Brilliant troll!

I'll reply to this with a screen grab...device hopping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 1:09 PM, spystud13 said:

Also, this. The first minute or so to fix a simple typo doesn’t need the notation. It’s pretty irrelevant. 

i doubt that's something that's changeable. 

 

 

for tapa issues, if you haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling tapa, do that first.

 

 

On 1/6/2019 at 4:59 PM, George said:

Curious if there’s a way to increase the font size. It’s hard to read the Surl while driving with my fading eye sight and random pedestrians on the sidewalk jumping out in front of me. 

on firefox and chrome use ctrl and + to make things bigger.  works on a per site basis and remembers.  i've got this place set at 120%. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i doubt that's something that's changeable.

Well, you also have to realize not a single thing since this thread or the other one were started has anything changed. We're pretty much just banging our heads against the wall anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elfenix said:

i doubt that's something that's changeable. 

 

 

for tapa issues, if you haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling tapa, do that first.

 

 

on firefox and chrome use ctrl and + to make things bigger.  works on a per site basis and remembers.  i've got this place set at 120%. 

I’m referring to safari on iPhone. I rarely, if ever, pull up the Surl on my computer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 5:41 PM, Digdogger said:

Not directly a board issue, but maybe do some sort of contest that the winner gets a penis enlargement.  I mean I wouldn’t enter, but I have a friend who posts that could use it

The first poster to promise to violently rape Digdogger after getting the penis enlargement wins?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...