AeroHorn

Tesla

40 minutes ago, Pasken said:

X is a beautiful car inside and out. 

I cant speak to the interior as I have never sat inside the X, but I couldnt disagree more on the exterior. I think the Model X is bland as fuck. The S was a striking car, and despite being a bit long in the tooth, I still think they look sharp when I see them around town. The Model X looks like a mid range cross over from Detroit or Korea....with those stupid ass gull wing doors. Just not my thing I guess. 

2019_tesla_model-x_4dr-suv_performance_s

For comparison here is a 2013 Prius

2013-Toyota-Prius-barn-door.jpg

Edited by Blotto

There were a few instances I thought the X looked modern and cool.  Maybe with its doors swung open.  But now it looks extremely bland and dated.

Model S has a good basic shape, especially the rear fenders.  It looks great in dark colors at night when you just barely catch the outlines... but in actual OEM finish with the chrome, the headlights, the wheel design, all the other small detailing, it's all quite unattractive.

model-s-blue-rear_1024x768_0.jpg

The new Roadster, if it comes out of production looking like this, will be aesthetically the most attractive sports car in the world.

1200px-NextGenTeslaRoadster_(cropped).jp

Anyone ever do a Big Bend/Alpine/Marathon/Ft. Davis/Marfa trip in a Tesla? Looks like there is a supercharger in Ft Stockton and destination chargers in Marfa and Ft. Davis. 

Don’t go too far off the highway. We went to the trans pecos festival last year with my S and it was fine. El cosmico has a charger and we used that for about 5-6 hours. We then walked the whole city or drive short distances mostly. I would be cautious about trying to make Ft Stockton to Big Bend and back. They have added more recently I think so it is getting easier. But still that drive south from the interstate and back would concern me. Put it this way, we are going to Marfa next week and taking our truck.

May not be the right thread to ask, but wife wants a model S. I told her she married the wrong guy if she expects a new one, so we’re looking at ones just a couple of years old.

I know nothing about electric car ownership other than it doesn’t need gas. I’m assuming stuff will break will break along the way. What does it cost to maintain? Does it need regular maintenance, and how much will that cost?

I bought my S used. Would still be driving it if someone hadn’t rear ended me and totaled it. I bought from Tesla. It was easy. Replaced with an X. I want my S back though. Buy preowned from Tesla and you’ll likely get 2/4 warranties - 2 on everything and 4 on motor and battery. Maintenance? What maintenance? The Teslas have something like 1000 less mechanical parts than other vehicles.

The looks of the Tesla are what keeps me away. Driving them is so much fun...but they look like complete shit. Boring as fuck.

I would consider a Polestar from Volvo though...

2020_polestar_1_coupe_base_fq_oem_2_500.

1 hour ago, troph said:

Don’t go too far off the highway. We went to the trans pecos festival last year with my S and it was fine. El cosmico has a charger and we used that for about 5-6 hours. We then walked the whole city or drive short distances mostly. I would be cautious about trying to make Ft Stockton to Big Bend and back. They have added more recently I think so it is getting easier. But still that drive south from the interstate and back would concern me. Put it this way, we are going to Marfa next week and taking our truck.

Not to mention that Big Bend is huge and you pretty much have to do a lot of driving if you want to see more than one area.

Not to mention that Big Bend is huge and you pretty much have to do a lot of driving if you want to see more than one area.

Exactly this. Big bend really demands a truck or a vehicle that’s not scared of a dirt road, and with enough range to drive a bunch of hundreds of miles.

22 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The looks of the Tesla are what keeps me away. Driving them is so much fun...but they look like complete shit. Boring as fuck.

I would consider a Polestar from Volvo though...

2020_polestar_1_coupe_base_fq_oem_2_500.

Yeah, Polestar is a nice looking car. But, I don't see much point in the plug in hybrids for me. And, if I'm spending that amount of money, I'm getting the Taycan Turbo (or Turbo S), which is a  gorgeous, no compromises, BEV. 

Edited by Dahobbs