Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

So they've got like 100 messican abuelas grinding down fresh ingredients in molcajetes in some sweat shop in Houston? 

I first found it at a farmer's market by my house. Shit's some of the best salsa I've ever tasted. Turns out it's a dad who wanted to teach his girl how to start a small business. It sorta blew up, and now you can get it in select stores in Houston.  He absolutely has videos of him making massive batches of this stuff in his home kitchen. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I first found it at a farmer's market by my house. Shit's some of the best salsa I've ever tasted. Turns out it's a dad who wanted to teach his girl how to start a small business. It sorta blew up, and now you can get it in select stores in Houston.  He absolutely has videos of him making massive batches of this stuff in his home kitchen. 

Pretty sure I bought this at that Heights farmers market a while back and can confirm this shit is delicious. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Is it trendy for rich people to overpay for salsa?

The Julio's Serrano salsa rec'd upthread is like $5 for the same quantity.

Well, most standard jars are the same quantity. That’s sorta how it works. If you were attempting to say quality, well, you haven’t tried both items, so you’re not qualified to make any claim. 

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Pretty sure I bought this at that Heights farmers market a while back and can confirm this shit is delicious. 

Yeah, that’s where I got it. Of course it was 8 bucks for the super big jar at the time, but it was good enough that I occasionally still buy a jar. 

On 4/22/2024 at 10:43 AM, Brisketexan said:

So, some friends brought these over last week…and they’re maybe the best store bought tortilla chips I’ve ever had. Super crunchy, but not hard/tough, and a perfect saltiness. My wife and I are both sold - these will be our go-to chip going forward.

ebe29cda10bfc17251337a39ec4b1a75.jpg

First got introduced to these at the UT Club tailgate last year. Loved how airy they are, and taste a little pepper-y. Now they're our permanent tortilla chip. The salsa (all 3) are tasty as well. 

13 hours ago, deft said:

I picked up the patio chips and enjoyed them immensely with the chile arbol mi tienda salsa recommended upstream.

Ha. I did the same yesterday after seeing the updates on this thread. If HEB was smart they would plant an insider on this board. I buy more HEB shit because of what I read here than I do because of their weekly circular, and it would be cheaper for them. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 10:43 AM, Brisketexan said:

So, some friends brought these over last week…and they’re maybe the best store bought tortilla chips I’ve ever had. Super crunchy, but not hard/tough, and a perfect saltiness. My wife and I are both sold - these will be our go-to chip going forward.

ebe29cda10bfc17251337a39ec4b1a75.jpg

bumping this to say i agree totally. these are fantastic

On 4/23/2024 at 2:54 PM, SydneyCarton said:

If you live in Houston, this isn't hard to come by. If not:
https://chilesquiles.myshopify.com/

image.png.827c6e5358afc6abc6f79ae041d2bb75.png

fortunately, i live nowhere near houston

unfortunately, they don't distribute anywhere near me and i'm not paying $14 a jar, but those look fantastic. in laws are going to be going to Houston in a few weeks and may ask them to grab some for me. where are you seeing it in stores?

1 minute ago, NoName said:

fortunately, i live nowhere near houston

unfortunately, they don't distribute anywhere near me and i'm not paying $14 a jar, but those look fantastic. in laws are going to be going to Houston in a few weeks and may ask them to grab some for me. where are you seeing it in stores?

I've seen it (often sold out) at Central Market. And there's a small place off Washington called Henderson & Kane that has it. Also he, at least used to be, at a Farmer's Market saturday mornings in front of Cavatore's Italian restauarnt off Ella near 610 North. Has some more details on their instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/chilesquiles/?hl=en

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've seen it (often sold out) at Central Market. And there's a small place off Washington called Henderson & Kane that has it. Also he, at least used to be, at a Farmer's Market saturday mornings in front of Cavatore's Italian restauarnt off Ella near 610 North. Has some more details on their instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/chilesquiles/?hl=en

thanks dude, appreciate it!

• Hook 'Em 1