Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Tried em the other day - picked up a pack, just nuked em to put in a tortilla as a brisket taco.
They were good. But not great. Taste was fine, but they were a bit tough. Maybe better if heated in the oven? I just drizzled a little sauce and put a few pickle slices on, and wrapped em in a good flour tortilla. Not a bad little dinner. Not A+, but good enough.

Oven was better. I think some have suggested sous vide in this thread or others. 

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Oven was better. I think some have suggested sous vide in this thread or others. 

I mean...I thought the selling point was "here's some really good, ready-to-eat bbq" at a decent price (not cheap, but not as expensive as a bbq joint).  But if I have to fuck with finishing it to make it decent....might as well just swing by a joint on the way home and pick up some good fresh brisket.

Like I said, I still have some left.  If a quick heat in the oven will make it turn out better, maybe it's worth it.

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean...I thought the selling point was "here's some really good, ready-to-eat bbq" at a decent price (not cheap, but not as expensive as a bbq joint).  But if I have to fuck with finishing it to make it decent....might as well just swing by a joint on the way home and pick up some good fresh brisket.

Like I said, I still have some left.  If a quick heat in the oven will make it turn out better, maybe it's worth it.

Just stick it in the oven and warm. It’s very easy. 

This could be good. Team clockwise/counter-clockwise absolutely depends on the point of view.

I’m also on this team

Whoops. I didn’t realize I wasn’t at the end of the thread. Sorry about that.

On 3/7/2024 at 6:29 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Didn't belong in the bbq thread, but figured it could go here.  Hancock HEB is getting redone into an HEB Plus and I found out they are going to have BBQ.  I have a feeling I will be partaking regularly.

On 3/7/2024 at 6:53 PM, TonyTexas said:

Don’t get your hopes up. The HEB BBQ that I’ve tried wasn’t very good. 

On 3/7/2024 at 7:39 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Oh there’s a reason I didn’t put it in the bbq thread. But HEB does most things well, so I figure they might do this well enough. 

I've had lunch at the Lake Austin Blvd. location a dozen times or so and it is plenty good. The prices are reasonable and they have a handful of beers on tap + plenty of liquor options as well. It's a nice setup on the 2nd floor with a bar, TVs, and indoor & outdoor seating.

They also had this sandwich on the menu for a bit as a "limited time only" option and it was fucking awesome

image.thumb.png.1a43b874d974ad146f16285d624f1377.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 3

16 hours ago, NAVY said:

You like hot flavorful salsa? This stuff is awesome 

IMG_2865.jpeg

Is it actually hot? Because I don't know if it's A&M ruining the jalapeno forever, but over the past 12 months, pretty much nothing actually seems hot anymore. I used to be judicious with seeding half the jalapenos when I make salsa donna, now I don't de-seed any of them and I'm contemplating adding haberos becuase there's no heat. I doubled the chili de arbols called for in this recipe, and I guess there's some heat, but the first time I made it I legit thought it was HOT.  
https://www.venturists.net/salsa-chile-de-arbol/
(Pro Tip, they say sweet onion, and it makes a difference between that an a regular yellow onion, follow the recipe)

I started pickling my own japaenos at home from this thread the last couple weeks, and while deliciouis AF, I think I can eat those things for hours and be fine. 

Fucking aggies

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is it actually hot? Because I don't know if it's A&M ruining the jalapeno forever, but over the past 12 months, pretty much nothing actually seems hot anymore. I used to be judicious with seeding half the jalapenos when I make salsa donna, now I don't de-seed any of them and I'm contemplating adding haberos becuase there's no heat. I doubled the chili de arbols called for in this recipe, and I guess there's some heat, but the first time I made it I legit thought it was HOT.  
(Pro Tip, they say sweet onion, and it makes a difference between that an a regular yellow onion, follow the recipe)

I started pickling my own japaenos at home from this thread the last couple weeks, and while deliciouis AF, I think I can eat those things for hours and be fine. 

Fucking aggies

I know what you mean. “Hot” is pretty subjective and most of the salsas that say they’re hot simply are not in my opinion. 

That said, HEB mi tienda chili de árbol brings the heat. Little sweat on the forehead and you will want a very cold beer nearby at all times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks to this thread, my order this morning included:

• Astros peanut brittle ice cream (pint)
  • Burnt ends
  • Pickles
  • Tortillas
  • 2 more bottles of Mi Tienda salsa taqueira

Hungry Food GIF

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Thanks to this thread, my order this morning included:

• Astros peanut brittle ice cream (pint)
  • Burnt ends
  • Pickles
  • Tortillas
  • 2 more bottles of Mi Tienda salsa taqueira

Hungry Food GIF

Probably should have added a fiber supplement.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

Was it really sweet? Looks like molasses is one of the ingredients.

I didn’t notice it being sweet. Granted, I had it mixed in with the rice, veggies, soy sauce and sesame oil so there was a lot going on, but I don’t think I’d have noticed if you hadn’t mentioned it. 

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Air fryer method was good too, just needed a few extra minutes to get the middle of the bag warmed after opening 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/4/2024 at 11:37 AM, Brisketexan said:

Maybe.  But I've nuked a slice of good brisket before just to heat it up for a quick tortilla wrap snack, and it was fine.  I'll try warming the next round in the oven, see if there's a difference.

I gave them a shot a few nights ago as well and did heat them up in the oven while I fixed a few of those mi tienda ready to cook flour torts. Didnt have any BBQ sauce, so I swapped in some Valentinas on a couple of them. They were fine, doubt I will buy them again. 

On 4/5/2024 at 3:28 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Fucking aggies

Consider using serrano peppers. I've never de-seeded jalapenos, but they definitely don't have the heat they once did.

• Hook 'Em 1

They've officially announced a store coming to a property in Murphy they have owned for a while. Will be near me in East Plano.

I'll need to start checking this thread more often come the back half of 2026.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

baking is the only thing Randall's has consistently done better, imo.

Their deli chicken and sides used to be really good 10-15 yrs ago. Not really anymore.

8 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Randall's/Safeway brand coffee is better than HEB's, as are their deli meats.

They don't roast/smoke any of their deli meats like HEB does, though, right?  Seems like all I see are Dietz & Watson and Primo Taglio brands.

I haven't done deli meats from Randall's in years, but they used to have their own stuff plus the Primo Taglio.  I've purchased sliced roast beef from HEB twice in the last couple of months and was reminded why I preferred Randall's.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Fried chicken was incredible at one point. 

I still get it every so often at my neighborhood store, but there is definitely a slightly funky undertone going on, I assume it's the oil they use for frying.

So, some friends brought these over last week…and they’re maybe the best store bought tortilla chips I’ve ever had. Super crunchy, but not hard/tough, and a perfect saltiness. My wife and I are both sold - these will be our go-to chip going forward.

ebe29cda10bfc17251337a39ec4b1a75.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

So, some friends brought these over last week…and they’re maybe the best store bought tortilla chips I’ve ever had. Super crunchy, but not hard/tough, and a perfect saltiness. My wife and I are both sold - these will be our go-to chip going forward.

I think some white guys bought it out and they're selling stuff in stores with the brand as well as keeping the restaraunt alive. 

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I ate a bag last week. Slammed and went hard.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I still get it every so often at my neighborhood store, but there is definitely a slightly funky undertone going on, I assume it's the oil they use for frying.

I feel the same about most any store's rotisserie chicken, including HEB's. They taste good enough fresh, but ...

And so I haven't had one in a long time now.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ve seen those at my local meat market, I’ll have to give them a try.  I did buy the jarred El Patio hot salsa a couple weeks ago and it sucked, no heat and not much flavor.  @jimmyjazz

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

They should add Saltines to the product line. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

I did buy the jarred El Patio hot salsa a couple weeks ago and it sucked, no heat and not much flavor.  

what's a good go-to ready to eat salsa these days.

i liked the mark's jarred stuff historically, but they have changed the one i like. don't love the heb-branded stuff near the guac, but someone told me it changed recently. picked up the taco deli stuff and did not enjoy it (had an off note in it, maybe it was just that container?)

Edited by NoName