Stephon Clark shooting thread

scottsins

33 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Who is Stephon Clark, and what happened to him?

Cops got reports of a guy vandalizing cars and then yard hopping to get away.  They caught up to him in a yard (his grandparents).  They asked him to show his hands.  He apparently made his hands visible because they saw a gun (really a cell phone).  About 20 rounds fired.

AND...

On the video, right after the shooting stops, a cop says “Hey...mute.”  Then, there is no more audio from the officers’ body cam microphones.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

shitty thing to happen but don't start no shit, won't be no shit.  thieving is dangerous business.

Vandalizing and thieving are quite different. Remember when a US kid got caught vandalizing cars in some foreign country and was gonna get caned for it? Remember that reaction from the nation? That was a big deal here.

This guy got the death penalty. Where's the outage?

• Like 1

I think cops get a bad rap on these type of cases (remember, one of the cops who fired shots was black), but in cases where the mic goes mute or the body camera amazingly stops working, you have to punish for that alone. This type of behavior leads to Sandra Bland type situations in Waller where the cop takes her off camera (dashboard cam) and then brings her back and arrests her. Maybe nothing happened, but when she ends up swinging inside her jail cell a period of time later, this looks really bad.

Similarly, cops have stopped going into certain parts of Chicago due to fear of getting filmed making an arrest and/or because any type of interaction with civilians creates a mountain of mandated ACLU paperwork and the end result of this reluctance has been a spike in the number of murders. https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160803/downtown/too-much-police-paperwork-blame-for-spike-murders-union-boss-says

1 hour ago, SKJ said:

Vandalizing and thieving are quite different. Remember when a US kid got caught vandalizing cars in some foreign country and was gonna get caned for it? Remember that reaction from the nation? That was a big deal here.

This guy did not get a death penalty. He got the consequence of his actions this particular time. There are situations like this, several times, every day, and very few times do the circumstances lead to the criminal being killed. But when you have the criminal running from yard to yard, at night, making a move with an object in his hand, yeah the odds are that one time it is going to happen. This one time he gave the appearance of doing something he wasn't. He paid for it. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

This guy did not get a death penalty. He got the consequence of his actions this particular time. There are situations like this, several times, every day, and very few times do the circumstances lead to the criminal being killed. But when you have the criminal running from yard to yard, at night, making a move with an object in his hand, yeah the odds are that one time it is going to happen. This one time he gave the appearance of doing something he wasn't. He paid for it. 

Wow.

That's pretty fucked

“Making a move with an object in his hand...”

LOL. Did he “make a move”? Why did one cop think that he should be ordered to show his hands? Why did no cop yell “drop the weapon” or “drop it!”?

What “move” did he make?

It's kind of disappointing that the focus right now is on Clark instead of Danny Ray Thomas in Houston. He was straight up murdered for almost no reason in broad daylight while the cop had a taser:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/03/24/a-houston-deputy-shot-and-killed-an-unarmed-black-man-days-after-stephon-clarks-death/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/26/us/danny-ray-thomas-houston-police-shooting.html

i hate cops as much as anyone but if he is doing shit at night, neighbors call the cops, he is jumping backyard fences from house to house, cops show up, he runs, then yea, that's all on him.

you know what could've avoided all this shit?  if he didn't do any of the above.

i'll save my sympathy for the innocent people who get fucked over by the cops.  did his punishment fit the crime?  no, but he contributed to his demise.  

don't start no shit, won't be no shit.

• Fuck You 1

It's kind of disappointing that the focus right now is on Clark instead of Danny Ray Thomas in Houston. He was straight up murdered for almost no reason in broad daylight while the cop had a taser:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/03/24/a-houston-deputy-shot-and-killed-an-unarmed-black-man-days-after-stephon-clarks-death/
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/26/us/danny-ray-thomas-houston-police-shooting.html

Been following this one locally. Sad, sad. Dude lost his kids and went crazy it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if 'wetted up' when he was killed.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

i hate cops as much as anyone but if he is doing shit at night, neighbors call the cops, he is jumping backyard fences from house to house, cops show up, he runs, then yea, that's all on him.

you know what could've avoided all this shit?  if he didn't do any of the above.

Another thing could have been avoided.  The cops could have avoided filling him with 20 rounds.

Pretty clear that the police are just scared to death. A situation that wasn't threatening was perceived as such and they used deadly force because they want to go home at the end of their shift. It's amazing that we can send an electric car into space but can't develop an effective yet non-lethal weapon for our police. Or maybe nobody really gives THAT much of a shit?

i'll save my sympathy for the innocent people who get fucked over by the cops.  did his punishment fit the crime?  no, but he contributed to his demise.  

don't start no shit, won't be no shit.
You know what else could've prevented his death?

The cop not shooting.

Why does everyone act like cops aren't in the equation?

13 hours ago, SKJ said:

According to the usual suspect:

Subjected to caning in Singapore.  Outrage. 

michael_fay.jpg

Shot 20 times in the U.S.  Got what he deserved. 

stephon-clark-1521605958.jpg?crop=1xw:1x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SKJ said:

You know what else could've prevented his death?

The cop not shooting.

Why does everyone act like cops aren't in the equation?

everyone is at fault.  but who created the situation in the first place?  the cops weren't driving around looking for someone to shoot.  they were called out specifically because of what the guy was doing.

thses cops deserve to be thrown in jail.  but i go back to the root cause.  

i didn't get shot last night.  i didn't put myself in a position to get shot last night because i wasn't doing shit to have people call the cops on me and then run when the cops show up.

for most of us, it seems pretty easy to avoid getting shot, although that always doesn't work.

i stand by my comment earlier, it's the truly innocent who i have sympathy for.  the minority getting pulled over just because he was the wrong color and then shit going downhill from there.  the minority walking down the street minding his own got damned business and getting harassed by fuckhead cops.

I remember Cane Boy.  I laughed when it happened and thought to myself, "what an idiot."  This situation with Stephon Clark cannot be compared.  Sure, part of me believes that if he hadn't been out vandalizing, then he would still be alive today.  But like so many other cases where cops shoot unarmed men that are not showing any aggression, it's just wrong and indefensible.  Those cops should not be allowed to be cops any longer.

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

everyone is at fault.  but who created the situation in the first place?  the cops weren't driving around looking for someone to shoot.  they were called out specifically because of what the guy was doing.

thses cops deserve to be thrown in jail.  but i go back to the root cause.  

i didn't get shot last night.  i didn't put myself in a position to get shot last night because i wasn't doing shit to have people call the cops on me and then run when the cops show up.

for most of us, it seems pretty easy to avoid getting shot, although that always doesn't work.

i stand by my comment earlier, it's the truly innocent who i have sympathy for.  the minority getting pulled over just because he was the wrong color and then shit going downhill from there.  the minority walking down the street minding his own got damned business and getting harassed by fuckhead cops.

"She shouldn't have dressed that way."

Look, there's a confluence of factors, but the ultimate responsibility is on the person who has the power of life and death in his hands -- the cop.

Running away isn't a death penalty offense.  Mouthing off to the cops isn't a death penalty offense.  Maybe they're DUMB.  Just like wearing a hooker outfit into a biker bar would be dumb.  But the ultimate responsibility falls on the shooter/rapist.

And underneath it all, ask a simple question.  If this had been a white kid hopping fences in your neighborhood, with his phone in his hand....would he have been as likely to be shot by the cops as Stephon was?  Come on, man.  Cops have a quick enough trigger finger to be problematic as hell.  When the target is black, that trigger finger is even quicker.

6 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:
Looks like from the video that he was walking towards the cops when they opened fire and his body fell towards the ground on his face. The other shots to make sure he wasn't getting up hit him in the back and the side.The shots that put him down were from the front. Doesn't look like Stephon was running at the cops. Or away.

Look at about 1:40 in the video.

Edited by Crusher

NRA still trying to figure out their angle here to sell more guns. Arm everyone?

In all seriousness, if an officer has a malfunction with their camera or other recording equipment, they should immediately face an unpaid suspension. If it happens and there is an injury or death of a suspect then they need criminal charges. There is no reason for an officer to be on duty with a weapon and not a camera.  These would not go out if their weapon was missing or didn't work, nor would they if their vehicle were unsafe or inoperable. 

If they end up in jail they need to go to gen pop. 

On 3/31/2018 at 2:37 AM, Grade of D as in David said:

NRA still trying to figure out their angle here to sell more guns. Arm everyone?

In all seriousness, if an officer has a malfunction with their camera or other recording equipment, they should immediately face an unpaid suspension. If it happens and there is an injury or death of a suspect then they need criminal charges. There is no reason for an officer to be on duty with a weapon and not a camera.  These would not go out if their weapon was missing or didn't work, nor would they if their vehicle were unsafe or inoperable. 

If they end up in jail they need to go to gen pop. 

Well you know, if his grandparents had guns in the house, maybe they could have stopped the bad guys with guns who murdered their grandson on their property. 

Are we even certain that Clark was the one doing the vandalizing?  Seems like the police are just covering their asses.

On 3/30/2018 at 1:24 PM, RDCanecutter said:

I don't remember anybody caring about Cane Boy. But I tend to hang with old-school Zachary Taylor types.

I remember his parents trying to make a big deal out of it by getting the media to hype it up.  Seems the most common reaction was people here wondering why we aren’t beating vandals and maybe that would deter petty crimes.

"She shouldn't have dressed that way."
Look, there's a confluence of factors, but the ultimate responsibility is on the person who has the power of life and death in his hands -- the cop.
Running away isn't a death penalty offense.  Mouthing off to the cops isn't a death penalty offense.  Maybe they're DUMB.  Just like wearing a hooker outfit into a biker bar would be dumb.  But the ultimate responsibility falls on the shooter/rapist.
And underneath it all, ask a simple question.  If this had been a white kid hopping fences in your neighborhood, with his phone in his hand....would he have been as likely to be shot by the cops as Stephon was?  Come on, man.  Cops have a quick enough trigger finger to be problematic as hell.  When the target is black, that trigger finger is even quicker.

The National Review article makes a lot of good points. The information was that they were looking for a vandal, possible burglar. A very small fraction of a percentage of these types are looking to shoot and kill anyone especially cops. Sacramento hasn’t even seen a cop die on duty in 20 years. Why on earth does a cop in that situation think this unknown person who may have been vandalizing windows is a threat to their lives? Unless you know the person your following has a weapon and has killed or is looking to kill, the risk to the cops safety is astronomically low. Why are we okay with them going straight to deadly force? And why do we think that a vandal is somehow worthy of death? There are a million reasons he may have been in that situation. Tons of people make really poor decisions at some point in their lives and all it takes is some point in time to turn around. Nobody deserves death for vandalism or even burglary. I can’t fathom anyone who thinks it’s okay because he was doing something wrong. Have we completely lost any sense of proportion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/01/us/stephon-clark-protests/index.html

A Sacramento County sheriff's deputy struck a protester with his patrol SUV as she and others gathered in the street to denounce the killing of Stephon Clark, then left the scene, according to video of the incident.

The incident Saturday night threatens to exacerbate an already tense relationship between police and protesters in California's capital. Observers say the deputy struck the woman at a high rate speed of speed, while authorities say the vehicle was moving slowly and the deputy was responding to a dangerous situation created by some of the demonstrators.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:35 PM, SKJ said:

Pretty sure it was when the cop said “mute”.