Showtime's City on a Hill

billfromlaketravis

• 1 month later...
Guest Lobo

Wasn't Bacon an FBI guy in Boston in Mystic River also?  Plus The Town, plus The Departed.  It's been done a lot, but this cast looks phenomenal plus I've got a soft spot watching "organized crime" in Boston fumble around like my sister's teammates in Special Olympics softball.  Only thing dumber than an Italian in Chicago is an Italian in Boston who never got wise enough to get out from under the thumb of the Irish.  

Fucking In.  

On 5/6/2019 at 9:07 PM, Lobo said:

Wasn't Bacon an FBI guy in Boston in Mystic River also?  Plus The Town, plus The Departed.  It's been done a lot, but this cast looks phenomenal plus I've got a soft spot watching "organized crime" in Boston fumble around like my sister's teammates in Special Olympics softball.  Only thing dumber than an Italian in Chicago is an Italian in Boston who never got wise enough to get out from under the thumb of the Irish.  

Fucking In.  

Patriot's Day, too.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I liked it. However, I didn't care for the ending of the pilot. Just seems like a little much so early in the show. 

I guess if you thought The Town was pretty good, you'll like this show. 

The Town was definitely "pretty good"

I haven't watched any of this yet.  Just wanted to drop that in here.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:14 AM, babysdaddy said:

Didn't the Town use old hockey masks for the bank robbers too?  I know Affleck is involved with this too but just seemed.....sterile.  Anyhow, going to continue watching

In The Town, Affleck and Renner wore hockey masks to toon up the project guy  that was harassing Affleck's love interest in the film. So technically correct. 

The famous "Who's car we gonna take?" scene. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Sigh, City on a Hill is following The Brotherhood script to a T. Make the show so gritty and dark that no one likes it. 

So Jackie  just laughs in Minogue’s face as he bleeds out to show us what? He’s the devil? Minogue didn’t do anything to Jackie except refuse his initial request to let his CI skate on a COP SHOOTING. A request he later made good on. 

Bacon is an awesome actor and he plays a darned good anti hero, but what are his redeeming qualities? He’s a bad father, husband, and a corrupt FBI agent. I’m sure his story arc is building towards some redemptive act, but the guy is huge POS right now. 

Showrunners forget viewers liked and rooted for Tony Soprano and Walter White. Why should we root for Jackie Rohr? 

Still watching it but I’m losing interest fast. I’m not sure anyone has any redeeming qualities at this point to hold interest. Bacon is really laying the Boston on thick, but as mentioned above the whole ambulance ride scene was just weird.

3 hours ago, Brew said:

Still watching it but I’m losing interest fast. I’m not sure anyone has any redeeming qualities at this point to hold interest. Bacon is really laying the Boston on thick, but as mentioned above the whole ambulance ride scene was just weird.

Al Pacino wasn’t that over the top in The Devil’s Advocate. 

• 1 year later...

Season 2 has started. The first episode is free in Apple TV. 

I loved Season 1, but Showtime keeps making the Brotherhood/Boss mistake. People won’t stick with bleak, depressing shows. No matter how high the quality. Kevin Bacon is incredible on this show and nobody is taking notice. Kelsey Grammar was amazing in Boss. Nobody cared.

Some good stuff needs to happen to the leads or people will tune out. There’s a reason why Billions is their all time most popular show. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 3 weeks later...

Half-way through Season 2.  It's good, not great.  Big dropoff in the second season after really promising stuff in Season 1.  But the cast is just so damn good, they can make up for really cliche and forced writing.  My free trial with Showtime will be up before the season wraps and I don't really care.  But I'd highly recommend Season 1 to anyone that enjoyed any of the above series we discussed.  

I like the unmentioned commentary on how the FBI, the BPD, the Staties, the AUSA, the Suffolk DA/ADA, et. al. just kinda float in and out of other's offices/commissions/investigations without any heads-up or even authority/jurisdiction.  Nobody really ever addresses it, ostensibly or otherwise.  That's what I always imagined Boston "crime-fighting" to be.  Local, state, federal, LEO, lawyer, or judge...they just all show up when they need something and are never actually at their office doing the job they are hired/appointed to do.  I mean once every few episodes somebody says, "This ain't your case!" but then it's back to just FBI guys squeezing Suffolk DA, some Judge giving Staties a warrant to fuck up an AUSA, etc.  That's the kind of clusterfuck I take Boston to be, kinda like Chicago.  Anyway, I've never gotten the accolades for Kevin Bacon...but he fucking nails this role. 

On 5/6/2019 at 9:07 PM, Lobo said:

Fucking In.  

he wasnt in The Departed.

1 minute ago, Bash Riprock said:

he wasnt in The Departed.

Yeah, after I mentioned "Mystic River", I put a period.  My next couple references were just to movies, that Bacon wasn't in, but that played heavily on the organized crime/robbery element of Southie, Charlestown, North End, et. al. I meant Bacon was in a movie that played up this plotline.  Then two other movies also dealt with it, that yes, according to you and imdb, Bacon wasn't in.  However, I would argue, strongly with all the rep I have, that Kevin Bacon is very closely associated with the casts of both "The Departed" and "The Town", probably no further removed from any of those actors by more than 1 or 2 pictures.  I'll fight anybody who disagrees with this close association that Bacon has to Boston flicks.  treat this is a game if you want, but I'm dead serious.  

Just now, Lobo said:

Yeah, after I mentioned "Mystic River", I put a period.  My next couple references were just to movies, that Bacon wasn't in, but that played heavily on the organized crime/robbery element of Southie, Charlestown, North End, et. al. I meant Bacon was in a movie that played up this plotline.  Then two other movies also dealt with it, that yes, according to you and imdb, Bacon wasn't in.  However, I would argue, strongly with all the rep I have, that Kevin Bacon is very closely associated with the casts of both "The Departed" and "The Town", probably no further removed from any of those actors by more than 1 or 2 pictures.  I'll fight anybody who disagrees with this close association that Bacon has to Boston flicks.  treat this is a game if you want, but I'm dead serious.  

he's been in so many i had to make sure i wasnt wrong.