Jump to content
ERhine

New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Enchubben said:

ruby slipper on magazine for breakfast tomorrow.

1/2 price Bloody Marys on Tuesday morning?!?

Yes, please!

20200804_090934.jpg

Edited by Somnio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And though tempted to simply enjoy the Bloody Marys, I did indeed eat as well.

Behold, the "Trifecta"...

20200804_092149.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Central Grocery.  It's by the French Market.  I hope you choke on it.  Just kidding.  Kind of.

Edited by kevwun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I want to move here.  This place is special, even when Covid-19 is putting a damper on everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Somnio said:

I think I want to move here.  This place is special, even when Covid-19 is putting a damper on everything.

If they didn't practice an entirely different type of law (F Napoleon) I'd convince my law partners to open an office there and then relocate there myself. Alas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Somnio said:

I think I want to move here.  This place is special, even when Covid-19 is putting a damper on everything.

my wife says that every time we visit.  then i remind her we have 2 kids in school.  maybe when they're in college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have not been, I strongly suggest a visit to the WW2 Museum next time you're in New Orleans.

I just spent 7-8 hours there, and it was most definitely worth the price of admission.

 

20200805_160755.jpg

20200805_161601.jpg

20200805_162008.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 9:15 AM, Somnio said:

1/2 price Bloody Marys on Tuesday morning?!?

Yes, please!

20200804_090934.jpg

Wait a fkn minute, are you wearing cargo shorts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2020 at 2:29 PM, hornian said:

If they didn't practiced any entirely different type of law (F Napoleon) I'd convince my law partners to open an office there and then relocate there myself. Alas. 

fify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 5:15 PM, Somnio said:

Greetings from Nawlins!  I apparently have a deathwish, and traveled to New Orleans during a global pandemic.

So, I'm in the Garden District looking to thoroughly enjoy myself from now until Thursday.

Any suggestions?

20200803_170739.jpg

So what all was open? I know bars were closed, but was retail stuff open in the Quarter? We were supposed to go for the football game and were taking our two older kids, 10 and 11. Was gonna be a rare non beach trip for them. If there’s still a swamp tour or something and at least some energy in the city we may still end up going. Haven’t cancelled yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Wait a fkn minute, are you wearing cargo shorts?

Yes, no, well maybe.

They have one "cargo" pocket on the right leg.

But they are Columbia brand, and are moisture wicking, UV blocking, performance gear suited for whatever adventure awaits!

So that makes it alright, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

So what all was open? I know bars were closed, but was retail stuff open in the Quarter? We were supposed to go for the football game and were taking our two older kids, 10 and 11. Was gonna be a rare non beach trip for them. If there’s still a swamp tour or something and at least some energy in the city we may still end up going. Haven’t cancelled yet. 

A lot of stuff is still open.  Tours are still available. 

You can still get your drink on at restaurants, but you have to buy food, and cannot get to-go drinks.

However, two easy solutions are if you're not really hungry you can buy the cheapest appetizer or side on the menu.  With that purchase you can sit there and down as many drinks as you want.  Also, there are convenience stores all around where you can buy beer and liquor, go outside, open it up and walk around no problem.

Something I did one of the days was buy a $3 Jazzy Pass, which gives you unlimited streetcar rides for 24 hours.  I think I rode the length of every streetcar line in the city, hopping on and off to check out cool neighborhoods, and grab a bite and a few beers whenever I wanted.  I never waited more than 10 minutes when I wanted to hop back on the streetcar.

I also went to Harrah's Casino, and rode the ferry across the Mississippi.

I thought there was still plenty to do, and had a great time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Somnio said:

A lot of stuff is still open.  Tours are still available. 

You can still get your drink on at restaurants, but you have to buy food, and cannot get to-go drinks.

However, two easy solutions are if you're not really hungry you can buy the cheapest appetizer or side on the menu.  With that purchase you can sit there and down as many drinks as you want.  Also, there are convenience stores all around where you can buy beer and liquor, go outside, open it up and walk around no problem.

Something I did one of the days was buy a $3 Jazzy Pass, which gives you unlimited streetcar rides for 24 hours.  I think I rode the length of every streetcar line in the city, hopping on and off to check out cool neighborhoods, and grab a bite and a few beers whenever I wanted.  I never waited more than 10 minutes when I wanted to hop back on the streetcar.

I also went to Harrah's Casino, and rode the ferry across the Mississippi.

I thought there was still plenty to do, and had a great time.

Is there any music going on? I guess some restaurants might have somebody playing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Is there any music going on? I guess some restaurants might have somebody playing?

You know, the only live music I saw were the street performers in the French Quarter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 10:06 AM, GRHorn said:

Is there any music going on? I guess some restaurants might have somebody playing?

No. Tip’s is going to begin broadcasting shows soon. Please donate - the clubs really need the help and are the soul of the city. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

aw man... both of those are staples everyt time we visit! 25 cent martini brunch at commander's is a tradition for us 😒 fucking pandemic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man. What a nut punch. 
 

I don’t know about you guys but I’m about done with this virus. It’s killed not one, not two, but three trips to NOLA (and the Chandeleurs)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2018 at 9:15 AM, LonghornGoodfella said:

I believe the Texas Exes watch party is over at Port Orleans Brewing Company. That's my vote. 

Bump.

My buddy lives in Indiana and we decided that since we had not seen each other in a year that we'd keep our LSU game plans intact and just go to eat and drink this weekend. Bringing our ladies. This will be my fourth trip there so I am not completely unaware, but my last trip there was four years ago after my son and I had visited Tuscaloosa as a potential college option, so drinking with an 18 year old wasn't much of an option.

Any idea if the Port Orleans is still the watch party place? If it is even still open? I am leaving ABIA at 2:30 this afternoon to arrive in the Quarter at 7 tonight.

Any other updated rec's are appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We ran through the cycle of most of the restaurants in the Link Restaurant Group.

Cochon, Cochon Butcher, Herbsaint, Gianna, La Boulangerie and Pesche. Generally speaking we ordered 4 apps, 4 entrees and 4 desserts (and a fuckton of drinks) at each place so we got to try quite a bit of food.

All were great, some dishes were not as spectacular but solid nonetheless. The only item I really could not stand was some "ceviche" at Herbsaint that was basically just a bowl of cucumbers diced too large, peanuts, tomato sauce, with a bit of shrimp in it.

We found one place that sold us to go drinks if we promised to forget where we got them. We gambled a bit at Harrahs. Took a swamp tour and saw some gators. The lady bought some art at the market around Jackson Square.

We stayed in a very cool AirBnB on S St. Peters street about 5 blocks from the casino. Place is in a building called the Refinery. Two very large BR's and a very nice kitchen/living area and a HUGE balcony. Owners were super attentive. Dropped four umbrellas off ununsolicited once the rain chances went up and were super eager to help with any questions around town. I can't find the exact unit we stayed in but this smaller one was right above us and I think the look and feel and decor are identical. Our balcony was about four times the size of what is shown in this link. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/38575850?source_impression_id=p3_1600202894_qGaXRUU%2FkEtvhOWu . I can't recommend that enough.

It wasn't even really that hot as the thermometer reads, I think the high was 87, but Jesus Fucksticks, I don't know how those people live in that humidity.

Place had a quite a few of the hurricane refugees from the storm that hit Lake Charles a few weeks ago.

Still a great town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...