2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

C'mon, KD.  Yes, Dray is an idiot and should have kept his fucking mouth shut, but don't pretend like you were ever going to stay.  You thought going to Golden State would be basketball nirvana: a family atmosphere of selfless hoopers hanging out and winning championships in a diverse, opportunity-rich city.  Instead, it was "KD and the Warriors," the titles weren't as fulfilling as you had hoped, you weren't as appreciated by the city as you deserved to be, and you and Steph weren't BFFs off the court (as any dad with 2 young kids and a 3rd on the way trying to make time for his single friends could have told you).  It didn't work out exactly how you envisioned; it happens, and it was no one's fault.  Continuing to take potshots is a bad look.  He's where he wants to be now on a team full of his boys; I hope he finds the life fulfillment he's looking for.

Exactly! There’s no way that Kevin was actually upset by Dray. We all love to be treated badly by co-workers. And Kevin should have lied to the reporter because being truthful about one’s feelings is a bad thing. What a horrible person.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Exactly! There’s no way that Kevin was actually upset by Dray. We all love to be treated badly by co-workers. And Kevin should have lied to the reporter because being truthful about one’s feelings is a bad thing. What a horrible person.

On its own, by all means, call out Dray.  But this is like the 5th thing that he's put out publicly or that his team has leaked to jab his former team and justify his decision.  First it's the offense, then it's the coach, then it's the city/fans, then it's the stubborn a-hole of a teammate.  Pretty much identical to his departure from OKC.  I love KD and have defended him plenty of times in the past when he's been a little thin-skinned and prone to drama.  But just make a decision, stand by it, and move on.

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

On its own, by all means, call out Dray.  But this is like the 5th thing that he's put out publicly or that his team has leaked to jab his former team and justify his decision.  First it's the offense, then it's the coach, then it's the city/fans, then it's the stubborn a-hole of a teammate.  Pretty much identical to his departure from OKC.  I love KD and have defended him plenty of times in the past when he's been a little thin-skinned and prone to drama.  But just make a decision, stand by it, and move on.

Is it calling out Dray or is it simply answering a question honestly about an asshole move?  Here's the exchange.  After he says, it played a little bit of a part, he is asked to expound and says in his opinion, it was simply time to make a change as he could see the writing on the wall for that team.  When making a decision to make a drastic change in one's life like picking up and moving several thousand miles, rarely is it one thing but a multitude of issues.  The topic at hand was Draymond's ill advised popping off, which he did not bring up, and he answered the question.  He's previously said the Draymond thing wasn't determinative, and by saying basically, it didn't help the situation but there were other reasons at play, specifically was it was time to move on seems..... real.  It's all silly to really get tweaked about.  Draymond acted like an ass, as he's prone to do.  It affected his relationship with KD, who is a sensitive soul.  It was always going to have an impact, even if his mind was probably made, it certainly could have simply closed the door on any crack.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Is it calling out Dray or is it simply answering a question honestly about an asshole move?  Here's the exchange.  After he says, it played a little bit of a part, he is asked to expound and says in his opinion, it was simply time to make a change as he could see the writing on the wall for that team.  When making a decision to make a drastic change in one's life like picking up and moving several thousand miles, rarely is it one thing but a multitude of issues.  The topic at hand was Draymond's ill advised popping off, which he did not bring up, and he answered the question.  He's previously said the Draymond thing wasn't determinative, and by saying basically, it didn't help the situation but there were other reasons at play, specifically was it was time to move on seems..... real.  It's all silly to really get tweaked about.  Draymond acted like an ass, as he's prone to do.  It affected his relationship with KD, who is a sensitive soul.  It was always going to have an impact, even if his mind was probably made, it certainly could have simply closed the door on any crack.

That's a fair assessment.  I admittedly didn't watch the entire interview (Stephen A), so I wrongly assumed that it was yet another rationalization for leaving when there's absolutely no one upset at him for choosing to do so.

KD isn’t really all that good with the media and it hurts his image. He could have said “you know, that doesn’t really matter. I made the decision that was best for me. We had a lot of success in Oakland and I look forward to having a lot of success in Brooklyn.” Instead his words can be twisted by the media to make it look like KD got his feelings hurt so he ran away. Then the average fan who only catches the context that sportcenter puts out will think “Damn KD. You left the warriors. No reason to be a jilted lover.” 

The media is probably 25% of the reason people don’t like him and he could easily eliminate that portion if he was more careful how he answers questions. 

4 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

KD does and says moderately stupid things. I think that's been known ever since his twitter alt nonsense. 

He's also amazing at basketball, so the pettiness is typically easy to forgive. 

When the offseason is bigger news than the season then I’d argue it isn’t. Every year of late he is one of the biggest offseason stories. 

OKC and Golden State will compete to see who can most shamelessly tank.  Watch them both get high draft picks next year.

Houston signed Westbrook so it's not surprising that him and Westbrook can't stop anyone from scoring.  Watch Houston implode at some point this year.

Those Trae Young posts from the old board didn't age well.  The trade for him and Donic is still interesting, though.  Donic's mom is still hot, however, so there's that.

Finals will be Philly and Clippers with Clippers winning.

On 10/31/2019 at 11:59 AM, aggie08 said:

C'mon, KD.  Yes, Dray is an idiot and should have kept his fucking mouth shut, but don't pretend like you were ever going to stay.  You thought going to Golden State would be basketball nirvana: a family atmosphere of selfless hoopers hanging out and winning championships in a diverse, opportunity-rich city.  Instead, it was "KD and the Warriors," the titles weren't as fulfilling as you had hoped, you weren't as appreciated by the city as you deserved to be, and you and Steph weren't BFFs off the court (as any dad with 2 young kids and a 3rd on the way trying to make time for his single friends could have told you).  It didn't work out exactly how you envisioned; it happens, and it was no one's fault.  Continuing to take potshots is a bad look.  He's where he wants to be now on a team full of his boys; I hope he finds the life fulfillment he's looking for.

Pretty much. He was never going to stay. He could win 10 titles and 10 Finals MVPs ina  row and in the end, it would be hollow for him. He's a very sensitive dude and his image means everything. He saw the respect from the fans plummet after the move and he became a running joke. And then he became a "tough guy" on the court and on social media. He became very angry and ornery constantly. He was not the same guy he was at OKC. He ended up regretting the move and left soon. 

Plus, if an argument between teammates factors into you leaving, how fucking weak is that? Teammates argue constantly. On the court and off. Man the fuck up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Such a lazy take on the situation.... Is James Wiseman or Isiah Stewart ready to come in and be a top 10 all time player and play at an all-star level as a rookie?  They should get an elite talent but very few incoming draftees are ready to come in and make immediate impacts on their teams a la Duncan or Lebron or someone like Magic.  Getting an elite talent should absolutely help but most of these guys are kids, 18-19 years old who will need to time to develop and none of the big men are drawing AD or even KAT comparisons.  Most of the incoming draft talent is at the guard spots although it's so early we'll have to see who emerges.  But take a guy like Jaren Jackson Jr, who is an intriguing talent and possible all star talent and put him on the Warriors next year with their core of 30+ guys.  Are they suddenly the best in the West?  Have to see what they can turn Russell into but their cap issues aren't going away and if the cap growth suddenly stalls or goes negative which is rumored, they may have no money to build any depth and still be in the tax.  I think they can get back to playoff level and possibly top 5-6 seeds next year if everyone comes back 100% and Russell can fetch them a couple of pieces but that great pre-KD GSW teams were deep with most of their role players having their best seasons....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kermit said:

In Golden State’s defense, how the fuck is it shameless tanking if everyone is injured? 

2020 is also not that great of a draft class.  Maybe things will change over the course of the year (nobody had Zion as the #1 pick at this time a year ago), but when Lamelo Ball is challenging for the #1 overall, the draft at this point looks like a big bag of meh.

When is Emoni Bates available?

Edited by Message Board User
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Llogg said:

Funny how the rockets and thunder both came out worse for that trade

Thunder didn't.  Paul's shitty contract is a year shorter than Westbrook's shitty contract.  As a result, they'll be abel to unload it easier.  The Rockets are stuck with Westbrook for 2-3 seasons.  They have the worst defensive backcourt in NBA history and Russ and Harden are terrible skill set pairings.

So much for Morey and analytics.   

On 11/2/2019 at 2:57 PM, Message Board User said:

2020 is also not that great of a draft class.  Maybe things will change over the course of the year (nobody had Zion as the #1 pick at this time a year ago), but when Lamelo Ball is challenging for the #1 overall, the draft at this point looks like a big bag of meh.

When is Emoni Bates available?

Shit I think Emoni is only a HS soph.  He is only 15 currently.

20 hours ago, CBT said:

One thing this whole board can agree on is that Derek Fisher is a huge bitch.

https://twitter.com/johnnynba/status/1191082418326921217?s=21

While Fish is CLEARLY a POS, Barnes was pissed at the wrong person.   What kinda nasty ass broad would do that shit with their kids in the house?   He knew the bitch wasn't shit long before this.   Fish 10000000% crossed the line but he wouldn't have been there if she hadn't been down.

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

What is NBA twitter going to talk about if the Warriors and Rockets aren't especially relevant?

I suppose there's always LeBron's hairline.

Meh, there was plenty to talk about before them.   There will be plenty to talk about after.   Been a very interesting start to the season so far.   MIA being 5-1 largely with a bunch of spare parts, MIN being 4-1, DAL looking good with Luka and KP. 

18 minutes ago, d2o said:

Meh, there was plenty to talk about before them.   There will be plenty to talk about after.   Been a very interesting start to the season so far.   MIA being 5-1 largely with a bunch of spare parts, MIN being 4-1, DAL looking good with Luka and KP. 

I was more wondering where all the hate and negativity will go.

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

There is still PLENTY of that directed at LBJ.   And plenty of it will still go to GSW and HOU except it will be people laughing and clowning them.   Others will be just plain ridiculous and say they weren't that good in the first place.   I saw someone say last week that maybe Steph really wasn't that great after those first couple losses.   2 games negated 5 yrs for them. 

Edited by d2o

Just now, aggie08 said:

Easy answer: Los Angeles. There's plenty of Lebron hate to go around and then there is the fact that >90% of LA basketball fans are Lakers fans, so they will be sniping at Kawhi and the Clippers as they inevitably blow through the league this year. 

Also, you can always count on Joel Embiid to stir things up. Plus, you should never discount the "kicking a man when he's down" factor that a struggling Harden/Westbrook would provide when both are filling up box scores and losing. Personally, I think they will get it together and start winning at a decent clip but you are crazy if you think NBA twitter would ignore the prospect of two teammates both posting triple doubles while losing.

• Like 1