Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Get that guy on campus.  For the recruitniks on the board, could he be Malik 2.0 in term of influence?  Based on his demeanor and attitude, seems like a great guy from the short video.  Seems like an ideal LB for our D, let him patol the middle, come off the edge at times and let him do his thing. Appears to be a day 1 contributor who could flourish in the speed happy b12.  Big physical point of attack guy who could take our D to another level with back-end guys we have on campus.  Look forward to following his recruitment and this one will go all the way to next year.  It will be big battle as he narrows it down. SC struggles and we continue our progression, we should be fine.  Oregon having a down year will help too. Need them to take some L's early, need Auburn (who is usually good early) and Stanford to give them a couple early losses.

Edited by jdhorn92

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

burn what if it’s the truth and not a twisted narrative?  maybe garth, parr, majors, and lindberg really aren’t SEC good.  jimbo may have evaluated them and decided to go elsewhere to fill out his o-line.  maybe we’re the suckers.  

well based off the 2018 class.. maybe these guys will be busts like Foster, Sterns, Ingram, Cook, Moore ??  #TrustJimbo

38 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Such says Garth gave him commitment quotes three weeks ago.

I believe it's been @Fud that's been perplexed by aggy optimism so let's see the spin on this one. Liucci has been saying Garth is the best OL in Texas. Other than Lindberg there aren't any other elite OTs in state so it'll be interesting to see what they say moving forward. 

Ill tell you exactly what they will say:

Doesnt matter. 2021 is loaded, every 2021 kid is better than any of the 2020 kids, and we are in amazing shape with all of them. 

Theyve already been saying it. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

(Justin Flowe)   Look forward to following his recruitment and this one will go all the way to next year.  It will be big battle as he narrows it down. SC struggles and we continue our progression, we should be fine.  Oregon having a down year will help too. Need them to take some L's early, need Auburn (who is usually good early) and Stanford to give them a couple early losses.

With Herbert returning will Oregon be down??

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ill tell you exactly what they will say:

Doesnt matter. 2021 is loaded, every 2021 kid is better than any of the 2020 kids, and we are in amazing shape with all of them. 

Theyve already been saying it. 

Truth be told I think Texas is in a good spot with more of those 2021 guys than aggy is.

19 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Get that guy on campus.  For the recruitniks on the board, could he be Malik 2.0 in term of influence? 

Well his little brother Jonathon is going to be a top 2021 LB himself (I think they have 2 more younger brothers as well). This guy combined with Floyd, Bru, and Adimora -- would be HUGE. 

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

With Herbert returning will Oregon be down??

Expectations are sky high with Cristobal having such a monster class in '19.  The west is putrid and Oregon will be top 10 pre-season.  Herbert is back and they landed grad transfer WR from Penn State, 6' 4'' 231 guy.  I would think they are expecting to win or at least play for Pac title.  So by down, I mean either not winning the conference or missing the title game by losing a couple they shouldn't.  On paper they are the best team out west, but as we know, the Pac football has been anything but predictable the last several years.  Oregon has the buzz again like they haven't seen since the high flying Kelly years.  Lets hope they underachieve and we continue to grow.

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

So am I wrong to think our OL class is already better than last year's? 

As it stands, it's interior-heavy with two G/C guys and one tackle, while '19 is three dudes who can play tackle. On talent it's different, rather than better, but when you factor in Shepherd's headcaseness, it definitely has a higher floor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), he said the same thing about wonder boy from Norman.

True.  But he described Riley as a good dude.  When he talked about Tom Herman, he also was very enthusiastic about the Texas Defense and his potential role in it.  OU's got nothing to sell on that front other than "you would make us suck less."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I don’t feel tOSU on the recruiting trail nearly as much as I did two years ago. It seemed like they were coming after everyone and winning a good portion. Outside of Wilson the Ohio native last cycle, I feel like we have closed off that pipeline for the most part. JT Barrett handing off to JK Dobbins made me ragey. Aggy on the upswing and OU recruiting well has helped. Now we just need to kneecap the annual Stanford OL1 thievery and we will be in business. 

Meyer knew Charlie sucked and went all in on the 2017 class. Herman’s a different animal and Meyer’s been more seective in spending time and resources on Texas kids since.  tOSU went after Ingram, Cook, and a couple others in 2018 but got shut out. Since then, they only seem to go hard after a Texas kid if they have a particular connection, like Wilson.

We also took tOSU’s best Texas recruiter in Beck and they haven’t had many people with a good Texas connection since.

Edited by Burt Macklin

13 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Well his little brother Jonathon is going to be a top 2021 LB himself (I think they have 2 more younger brothers as well). This guy combined with Floyd, Bru, and Adimora -- would be HUGE. 

I remember Mack hired a "consultant" to tell him we needed to take the brand National.  He refused (well he did try to go to Fl) and the rest is history.  I assumed then as i do now, that consultant was just window dressing.  Glad to see TH go national and cherry pick guys.  Keep the majority of class in state and land 5-8 quality OOS guys from CA, GA, MO (yes it's MO and not MI like some twitter user sighted over the weekend) and Florida.

4 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

True.  But he described Riley as a good dude.  When he talked about Tom Herman, he also was very enthusiastic about the Texas Defense and his potential role in it.  OU's got nothing to sell on that front other than "you would make us suck less."

Yeah true, i picked up on that. His voice inflection changed (geesh I feel silly even typing that) too when talking about us, but hey its the off-season.  Need something to hold my attention.

As others have said, our CA recruiting efforts have been nails.  I remember in 80s and early 90's reading Dallas Morning news recruiting lists and Notre Dame, FSU and Miami loaded up on TX kids.  Would be nice to see us to  CA and do the same. 

I cant help but think the amount of CA companies relocating to Texas has had some impact on how these CA kids and their families view Texas.  Maybe im over analyzing it, but you look at Toyota and large companies moving HQ out of CA, Texas has been a landing spot for many transplanted Californians.  Not to get to Cloak Room, but it may be helping.  That, and TH is a stud recruiter with a terrific support staff. 

7 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Yeah true, i picked up on that. His voice inflection changed (geesh I feel silly even typing that) too when talking about us, but hey its the off-season.  Need something to hold my attention.

As others have said, our CA recruiting efforts have been nails.  I remember in 80s and early 90's reading Dallas Morning news recruiting lists and Notre Dame, FSU and Miami loaded up on TX kids.  Would be nice to see us to  CA and do the same. 

I cant help but think the amount of CA companies relocating to Texas has had some impact on how these CA kids and their families view Texas.  Maybe im over analyzing it, but you look at Toyota and large companies moving HQ out of CA, Texas has been a landing spot for many transplanted Californians.  Not to get to Cloak Room, but it may be helping.  That, and TH is a stud recruiter with a terrific support staff. 

More than that, Austin's just gotten nationally cool on a level it's never been. It's got real cachet.

Something I realized about Bru and DGF in terms of their future recruiting is that both chose us after feeling that USC lied to them. Floyd was originally committed to USC but felt that they lied about the number of LBs they took in 2018. Bru was enrolled but felt they lied about Kliff. I don't know how much negative recruiting players do but being viewed as unstable and dishonest is tough to overcome. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Dude has been my favorite hire Herman has made. BC ain't too bad neither 

what if we get rid of warehime after the season and reassign wooderson as a temporary coach so he can go on the road recruiting for us like BC last year.  

power. moves. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

burn what if it’s the truth and not a twisted narrative?  maybe garth, parr, majors, and lindberg really aren’t SEC good.  jimbo may have evaluated them and decided to go elsewhere to fill out his o-line.  maybe we’re the suckers.  

This is some primo stuff right here. You've outdone yourself, my dude.

1 hour ago, SimkinsMan said:

"I talk to Coach Herman all the time."

He was the only one referred to by name with the appellation 'coach' in front of it. Riley got called Lincoln (after butchering it). USC's comment about coaches was just that they were disorganized. Oregon got a coaching staff is really amazing but no one mentioned by name. I like where we are. I see this being a Oregon/Texas battle that we have a pretty good shot at winning barring the two schools he mentioned entering the picture (Georgia, Clemson) causing some actual trouble.  That'll be 9.95