Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

9 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

My realisticish class as of now

QB: Card (1)

RB: Evans and Jordan (2)

WR: Omeire and Johnson (2)

TE: none come to mind (1)?

OL: Parr,Garth,Majors,Lindberg and George (5)

CB: Ringo and first to commit (2)

S: Washington and Thompson (2)

LB: Scott and Flowe (2)

DL: Broughton,Dorbah,Collins, and Ulmenian (4)

Ath: Jackson (1)

thats 22

crazy thing is all of those are very possible to very likely. We could push really hard to be the #1 class if we win big this year  

I think you're close, with what data we currently have 

All signs show that Dixon will be in the class. He's probably visited more than any other 2020, and went to "elite day". I think they like his positional flexibility, could even offer some RB coverage in the event that the room has several injuries down the road; however, looking at how the class most likely sets up, I think he'll probably fit best at Z WR. Aside from Mookie and Dixon, we'll land two stud outside guys. The specific names aren't important, there are too many studs around and we have too much to sell for us to not land two. Also, I think this is most likely where Ja'Quinden Jackson ends up; word is between QB, WR, and defense, WR is the spot he most prefers, and if he comes in as a WR instead of as an ATH, he could fill one of those two spots. 

At TE, Henderson appears to be a coinflip between Texas and OU. He's on the shorter side, but he'd present big problems for defenses in the passing game. He's like a 95% version of Ja'quinden Jackson. Otherwise, we can take our time here after landing one of the best TE hauls in the country for 2020. Frequently, you can find underrated kids here who blow up late. 

At OL, obviously we'd prefer to land Lindberg, who's a top ten prospect in the state, but he's deciding early enough to where we should be able to find an adequate replacement. If we miss on Zach Evans, then we can probably improve on George. 

CB/N/S: Ringo, Washington, and Thompson appear to be the priorities here. I personally like Eaton as the second corner take, and I'd bet on the staff agreeing; he has some Keynatta Watson to him. Kimber is a good high floor 2nd corner, but I'd rather hunt for upside here, especially if we land Ringo. Do we take a third safety like Ransom or Alford, or are they contingencies for Washington and Thompson? I think they'd like to fit one of Phillips, Crawford, or Watts in as a nickel. So 5-6, depending on whether or not they want to fit a third safety into the class. Ringo is one of the biggest targets in the class, because he's one of the guys we're least likely to find a close replacement to. 

LB: A&M and OU both backing off Scott has me questioning him. Obviously Flowe is a big target here, and I think Ja'Quinden Jackson would fit great here as a guy with an elite ceiling who could afford to learn while the four LBs we took in 2019 play ahead of him. 

At DL, we have our obvious top four, but guys like Jason Harris and Sav'ell Smalls could either be 5th DL takes, or adequate replacements for missing on the top four. I don't see the need to add a pigeonholed NT in this class. 

• Like 1

I’m just happy we are taking a shot at, and apparently being considered by, guys like Flowe, Ricks, Ringo and Young. Chances aren’t good we land even one of them, but chances are better than if we weren’t going after any of them, or if we were only going after one of them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fud said:

At DL, we have our obvious top four, but guys like Jason Harris and Sav'ell Smalls could either be 5th DL takes, or adequate replacements for missing on the top four. I don't see the need to add a pigeonholed NT in this class. 

Any chance he's being recruited as an athlete? He could potentially be the TE recruit for this class if he has decent hands.

30 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I’m just happy we are taking a shot at, and apparently being considered by, guys like Flowe, Ricks, Ringo and Young. Chances aren’t good we land even one of them, but chances are better than if we weren’t going after any of them, or if we were only going after one of them.

100% agree with you

just think it is ludicrous to have someone like Flowe in the calculator 9+ months from NSD1 and 11 months from NSD2.

7 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Jason Suchomel has quotes posted from Darnell Washington the 5 star tight end from Nevada.

mentions he is looking to visit soon.

That guy looks to me like he's more likely to end up at DL or OT than TE

Also, Suchomel has a quote from Willie Tyler saying he'd jump at a Texas offer, and that Hand told him that his potential offer is dependent on their success with grad transfer OL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Are we still recruiting Snow? BJ Foster pretty much played lb last year but we called him a safety

The IT guys think we've been backing off, because he doesn't want to play LB, and we have better targets at safety 

2 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

So glad we added Fedora as a behind the scenes guy. He always had some pretty salty guys on defense. His insight might be pretty useful, and might have some inroads into the Carolinas.

His game prep will be valuable. Adding Beatty along with him would be serious. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

All signs show that Dixon will be in the class. He's probably visited more than any other 2020, and went to "elite day". I think they like his positional flexibility, could even offer some RB coverage in the event that the room has several injuries down the road; however, looking at how the class most likely sets up, I think he'll probably fit best at Z WR. Aside from Mookie and Dixon, we'll land two stud outside guys. The specific names aren't important, there are too many studs around and we have too much to sell for us to not land two. Also, I think this is most likely where Ja'Quinden Jackson ends up; word is between QB, WR, and defense, WR is the spot he most prefers, and if he comes in as a WR instead of as an ATH, he could fill one of those two spots. 

At TE, Henderson appears to be a coinflip between Texas and OU. He's on the shorter side, but he'd present big problems for defenses in the passing game. He's like a 95% version of Ja'quinden Jackson. Otherwise, we can take our time here after landing one of the best TE hauls in the country for 2020. Frequently, you can find underrated kids here who blow up late. 

At OL, obviously we'd prefer to land Lindberg, who's a top ten prospect in the state, but he's deciding early enough to where we should be able to find an adequate replacement. If we miss on Zach Evans, then we can probably improve on George. 

CB/N/S: Ringo, Washington, and Thompson appear to be the priorities here. I personally like Eaton as the second corner take, and I'd bet on the staff agreeing; he has some Keynatta Watson to him. Kimber is a good high floor 2nd corner, but I'd rather hunt for upside here, especially if we land Ringo. Do we take a third safety like Ransom or Alford, or are they contingencies for Washington and Thompson? I think they'd like to fit one of Phillips, Crawford, or Watts in as a nickel. So 5-6, depending on whether or not they want to fit a third safety into the class. Ringo is one of the biggest targets in the class, because he's one of the guys we're least likely to find a close replacement to.  

LB: A&M and OU both backing off Scott has me questioning him. Obviously Flowe is a big target here, and I think Ja'Quinden Jackson would fit great here as a guy with an elite ceiling who could afford to learn while the four LBs we took in 2019 play ahead of him. 

Who is the LB from East St. Louis that Aggie was talking about? Is he someone we may be interested in?

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

His game prep will be valuable. Adding Beatty along with him would be serious. 

The raid bros are great at finding the biggest passing game weaknesses in a defense, finding a thousand ways to destroy the weakness, and then having great counters for when the defenses adjust. Of course, the spend 95% of their practice and scheming time on offense, which is their biggest downfall. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I know we’ve all been generally counting Dorbah as DL, but does anyone think he’ll actually play in a 3 man front? I’ve always seen him as a B-backer. I guess they could try to play him like Hager where he does everything he can to bulk up to like 250, but He doesn’t seem to have the frame for DL in a 3 man front. 

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Eh. I’d say the odds are high we land at least 1 5 star OOS guy and/or at least a few top 100 OOS guys. We already have Mookie, and I’d say we’re likely leading for Ringo even though that may only give us like a 33% chance at landing him. Wilson seems pretty solidly in the mix, as well. Plus Milton to an extent. There are a lot of elite OOS guys that we have a solid shot for, so I wouldn’t chalk this is up as some unlikely scenario. I think it’ll be an annual thing that we land at least a few top 100 OOS guys every year.

37 minutes ago, Fud said:

The IT guys think we've been backing off, because he doesn't want to play LB, and we have better targets at safety 

LB’s interesting. I agree that teams backing off gives me pause about Scott, although A&M wants oversized LBs and OU seems like they’re backing off everyone atm. My Ideal scenario, would be we’d take Flowe plus a safety spin down, with snow being the most obvious candidate, unless we can convince Jackson to do that. I could see us taking Scott if we miss on Flowe, but Orlando has consistently slow played backup options at LB, so who knows.

its absolutey crazy to me that a guy like Snow who is already over 215 by his junior year in HS is unwilling to be projected to LB. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

The raid bros are great at finding the biggest passing game weaknesses in a defense, finding a thousand ways to destroy the weakness, and then having great counters for when the defenses adjust. Of course, the spend 95% of their practice and scheming time on offense, which is their biggest downfall.  

I'm not sure you can characterize Fedora as a Raid Bro.  He's a much more classic smashmouth spread/RPO-based offensive coach.

Beaty is more of an air raid guy, of course.

Looking at these guys' resumes has me wondering whether Herman will try to bring in Meacham as a QC, too.  Meacham was an offensive assistant under Fedora at oSu and, obviously, was OC at KU under Beaty.  He would bring a valuable voice to the conversation in the Big XII.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I know we’ve all been generally counting Dorbah as DL, but does anyone think he’ll actually play in a 3 man front? I’ve always seen him as a B-backer. I guess they could try to play him like Hager where he does everything he can to bulk up to like 250, but He doesn’t seem to have the frame for DL in a 3 man front. 

Hager, Roach, and Bimage didn't appear to be odd front guys either, and look where they eventually ended up. Of course, the current staff only recruited one of those guys, and that was in a transition class, but I'm pretty sure that's where Dorbah ends up.

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Looking at these guys' resumes has me wondering whether Herman will try to bring in Meacham as a QC, too.  Meacham was an offensive assistant under Fedora at oSu and, obviously, was OC at KU under Beaty.  He would bring a valuable voice to the conversation in the Big XII. 

I just want the dude to have a nice happy minimally stressful year.

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

LB’s interesting. I agree that teams backing off gives me pause about Scott, although A&M wants oversized LBs and OU seems like they’re backing off everyone atm. My Ideal scenario, would be we’d take Flowe plus a safety spin down, with snow being the most obvious candidate, unless we can convince Jackson to do that. I could see us taking Scott if we miss on Flowe, but Orlando has consistently slow played backup options at LB, so who knows.

its absolutey crazy to me that a guy like Snow who is already over 215 by his junior year in HS is unwilling to be projected to LB.  

Yeah, Snow isn't getting very good advice. I think nowadays you need to be honest with where you project players, because they could put in a portal request the day you move them to a new position. If they have no interest in the position you project them at, might as well move on. 

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Yeah, Snow isn't getting very good advice. I think nowadays you need to be honest with where you project players, because they could put in a portal request the day you move them to a new position. If they have no interest in the position you project them at, might as well move on. 

Frankly, if he really wants to "stick" at safety, we're his best option.  Can he not play the B.J. Foster/Jason Hall dime package role?  That's a "safety" position that plays, effectively the role of a 3-4 OLB/rush end.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Frankly, if he really wants to "stick" at safety, we're his best option.  Can he not play the B.J. Foster/Jason Hall dime package role?  That's a "safety" position that plays, effectively the role of a 3-4 OLB/rush end. 

I think they like Thompson there, who would potentially make Snow redundant. He's about as good as you'll see in run force as a safety. 

What Bobby Burton is being told-

I'm told a verbal commitment of Texas A&M's, a player who visited Texas this weekend, wanted to discuss flipping his pledge to the Horns on Saturday. But the Horns' coaches were unwilling to go there because they had higher priorities on the board still available at that specific position.

So naturally what happened?

The player who just an hour earlier was trying to flip to Texas, then became all anti-Texas.

No big deal. It happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I'm told a verbal commitment of Texas A&M's, a player who visited Texas this weekend, wanted to discuss flipping his pledge to the Horns on Saturday. But the Horns' coaches were unwilling to go there because they had higher priorities on the board still available at that specific position.

The player who just an hour earlier was trying to flip to Texas, then became all anti-Texas.

No big deal. It happens.

churizo?

1 minute ago, Fud said:

No big deal. It happens.

Hello Smart Chibuzo.

Just now, Fud said:

No big deal. It happens.

Not so Smart (Chibuzo) now, are you, Jimbo?

Also, I love the idea that we're continuing to recruit aggy commits that we don't want, just to force aggy to think that (a) they might be good players and (b) that they should spend time and effort to keep them in the fold.

I think there's some amount of that in us offering Oklahoma guys, too.  Let's offer this guy, get him excited about Texas, and force OU to use a spot on them to keep them from going out of state.

1 minute ago, Fud said:

No big deal. It happens.

Sounds like Aki couldn't handle hard truths

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

What do you mean by "run force"? The Google machine is unhelpful.

His run assignments. He's really good at stopping the run for a safety. One of the reasons they did a great job of slowing down Zach Evans. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Hager, Roach, and Bimage didn't appear to be odd front guys either, and look where they eventually ended up. Of course, the current staff only recruited one of those guys, and that was in a transition class, but I'm pretty sure that's where Dorbah ends up.

Yeah I guess so, but bulking him up to like 250-260, thereby making him lose some explosion and still being outmanned in the run game just seems like a waste of his talent. I hope that by the time Dorbah’s ready to play, we have a solid rotation of 270+ guys to man all 3 spots and then we unleash the Ossais and Dorbahs of the world as B-backers at closer to 240. 

Mine thing that’s been interesting is that Orlando hasn’t used the B-backer here much, I think primarily due to not having anyone good to put there and in part because we have so many good safeties. Now that Ossai looks ready to thrive there, it’ll be interesting to see how much Orlando uses the B-backer. I could see our base package being one true LB, plus Foster and a B-backer in the box. At UH, B-backer was a full time spot and Orlando has a ton of success with it. I’d hope we have plans for Dorbah there.

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Yep. The portal definitely forces coaches to be more honest about where they’ll play a guy.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Certainly seems like we should be able to. I’m not sold that we’ve really backed off of him, but his recruitment’s been a little strange so far for sure. He has 2 CB picks for MSU and while he has a ton of national offers, I can’t tell how many of those big schools are really recruiting him hard.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

What do you mean by "run force"? The Google machine is unhelpful.

"Force" is a football term that basically means you've got the "first" of a certain set of obligations.

You hear it a lot in the context of pulling guards who have "first force" responsibilities.  That means that a pulling guard has the responsibility to take the first man that crosses his face or that is an active threat to the ballcarrier.

"Run Force" would be a similar concept (although it's often called "alley" responsibility; or some type of "contain" responsibility).  Basically, a Safety with "run force" responsibility has primary obligations to stop certain run plays to certain parts of the field.  Compare "run force" or "alley" responsibility to someone in Brandon Jones's position, who has run contain responsibilities (but not the primary responsibility for any particular gaps).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Isn't Chibuzo the one OL of A&M's we didn't think was terrible? And I remember Akinola refusing to speak to our $9.95-ers after our visit, then praising A&M openly all of a sudden. So maybe it was Akinola.

I had the same confusion a week or so ago.  We've appeared to be actively recruiting both guys, for whatever reason.  I'm not convinced it isn't a ploy to keep Jimbo busy trying to keep them in the fold.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Isn't Chibuzo the one OL of A&M's we didn't think was terrible? And I remember Akinola refusing to speak to our $9.95-ers after our visit, then praising A&M openly all of a sudden. So maybe it was Akinola.

Akinola and Bankhead are decent, but Akinola is probably interior specific, and Bankhead is pigeonholed at guard. Smart has cement feet. Jefferson might not be a P5 caliber prospect. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Who are we looking at for nickel? It can be hard to tell who the staff envisions there. Would it be Washington or Alford/Ransom?

It's not clear what the staff is looking for at the position. If we see Foster there this year, then it could be one of the safety types, and if we see Thompson there, then it'll likely be someone like Phillips, Crawford, or Watts, imo. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I had the same confusion a week or so ago.  We've appeared to be actively recruiting both guys, for whatever reason.  I'm not convinced it isn't a ploy to keep Jimbo busy trying to keep them in the fold.

It being a ploy makes the most sense. We've already got 3 OL committed, and Lindberg and George are both priorities above any of the A&M guys.

10 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

First rule of asymmetric warfare: Never allow the enemy to feel safe, anywhere or anytime.

• Like 1

IT

PRINCELY U

Alfred Collins isn’t the only stud defensive lineman on the east side of SH-130.

Princely Umanmielen (ooo-mahn-MIE-len) plays multiple defensive line spots for the Manor Mustangs and knows that every opponent makes a point to prepare to stop him.

“It’s fun knowing that week-by-week they have to gameplan for me,” the 6-foot-4.5, 260 pound Umanmielen said Friday. “It’s hard to make plays, but I make it work.”

Umanmielen plays on the interior of Manor’s predominantly four-man defensive front. He said he’s obviously comfortable in a four-man front, but could see himself playing for a three-down defense at the next level.

“I’d rather be in a four-down front, but if I’m comfortable with the college and the coaching staff, I’ll do a three-down,” Umanmielen said. “It really doesn’t matter to me.”

Living in the greater Austin area, Umanmielen receives a lot of attention from Texas. In addition, he mentioned he hears from Oklahoma and Arizona. After Inside Texas spoke with Umanmielen Friday, Texas A&M offered him a scholarship.

Texas hasn’t forgotten about the DL prospect in its own back yard.

“I’m really cool with Coach Giles,” Umanmielen said. “We talk on a weekly basis. He’s a cool dude. He lets me know that he wants me to be a part of the family. He calls me family and everything.”

That’s not the only coach he talks with at Texas. He maintains communication with Coach Herman as well.

“It feels good because he’s a head coach,” Umanmielen said. “Other schools, I haven’t really had a close relationship with a head coach. It feels good to just know that I can talk to him one-on-one and not be nervous or anything, just have a real relationship.”

Umanmielen attended the Texas junior day Saturday, and participated in the Under Armour camp in Houston on Sunday where he was one of two winners of the Big Man Challenge.

As far as a timeline goes, Umanmielen said he wants to trim his list of schools at the end of the school year and take spring official visits. He plans to commit before his senior season and attempt to graduate early.

TROY OMEIRE

The recruitment of Troy Omeire, a 6-foot-3.5, 217 pound wide receiver from Fort Bend Austin, has recently picked up as one of the more competitive in-state battles.

Both Texas and Texas A&M are pushing hard for Omeire’s services. After seeing one recently, he’s looking forward to his next stop.

“I’ve been to A&M, and I look forward to going to Texas on the 9th,” Omeire said Sunday.

Omeire wasn’t extremely talkative after the Under Armour camp, but he did reveal what some of the biggest factors in his recruitment would be.

“Being close to my mom, the academics, and the vibe I get from the people,” Omeire said about what would influence his decision.

When asked about his relationship with the Texas WR coaches, Omiere said he felt like he had a close relationship with Drew Mehringer and Corby Meekins and that they were trying to be like a father-figure towards him.

Omeire is running track this spring, but plans to take visits when time allows. 

XAVION ALFORD

The last time Inside Texas spoke to 2020 Pearland Shadow Creek DB Xavion Alford, he had yet to receive an offer from the Longhorns.

Since then, not only did Texas offer him a scholarship, but he also was able to meet the coaches and tour the facilities with his Fast 7on7 teammates.

“I liked it,” Alford said Sunday. “Texas is right there at home. It felt good. They rolled out the red carpet for me just like Coach Herman said they would. The visit at Texas was fun, it was just fun.”

Alford plays safety for the state-finalist Shadow Creek Sharks, but knows he can do anything on the field he’s asked to do at the next level.

“Wherever I can get on the field early, I’ll play,” Alford said. “I can play nickel. They told me I can play nickel, safety, field safety, boundary safety, anywhere. I’m the most versatile DB in my class.”

When it comes time for Alford to make a decision, which he said Sunday he plans to announce on the February 2020 signing day, several aspects of a program would influence his decision.

“Honesty, loyalty, me feeling at home and having a relationship with the coaches,” Alford said. “Honesty and loyalty. That’s really at the end of the day what it is; feeling like family and feeling like you’re home.”

PLAYER TO WATCH

Another 2020 from Manor, RB Tahj Brooks. 

Brooks is Tulsa’s first and only 2020 commit, and Philip Montgomery’s veer-and-shoot offense really appeals to Brooks.

At 5-foot-10, 215 pounds brooks is a quality RB that has P5 offers. 

He, like so many RBs around Texas and the US, is probably waiting for schools to find out where they stand with the Evanses and McClellans of the world. Once schools find out they didn’t make the cut, look for backs like Brooks to get a little more attention.