Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

EJ after dark: Intel on Lingberg, Broughton, 2021 QBs

— Four-star offensive lineman Chad Lindberg is going to spend his spring break away from home. Lindberg is set to visit Clemson, Georgia and Georgia Tech this week. Lindberg really does like Georgia and has a great relationship with that staff. Clemson is more of an intriguing option. It will be interesting to see where it stands after the visit. But don’t panic, Lindberg is going to visit Texas soon. His mother, Emily, told me they plan to be at the spring game in April.

— Four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton told me that he would ‘more than likely’ be at Texas this week to take in a practice. Broughton remains extremely high on Texas and is excited to see how the Longhorns would utilize him in their defensive scheme. While Texas is pegged as the favorite, Broughton likes Oklahoma and Texas A&M and wants to see some national programs.

— Texas is looking to get elite 2021 Dallas Parish Episcopal quarterback Preston Stone on campus for either a practice or the spring game. I spoke to a source close to the Stone recruitment that told me Texas has really separated itself as the early frontrunner in this recruitment. It’s still early and Stone hasn’t visited many other places, but Texas has to love where it stands.

— With all that said, Texas is still exploring other options at the position in 2021. UT offensive coordinator Tim Beck actually spoke with Chicago quarterback JJ McCarthy on Monday night. McCarthy visited Texas for junior day last month and is squarely on the radar. Texas also played host to Eastland quarterback Behren Morton this week. Beck saw him during the contact period, and there is mutual interest.

• Like 2

E.J. Holland: Battle for for fast-rising DB Joshua Eaton heating up

Joshua Eaton is one of the fastest risers on the recruiting trail this cycle. The three-star defensive back out of Houston MacArthur has picked up a slew of offers over the last couple of months, including one from Texas. The Longhorns hosted Eaton for junior day last month and also received a return visit just a week later. “It was live,” Eaton said. “I had a lot of fun with the coaches and the players. I have a great time every time I go to Texas. It’s a great program and a great school. I like the feeling there. It was just a great time overall.”

While Eaton has seen his recruitment take off, it’s clear the Longhorns have made a huge impression early. In fact, Texas holds 100 percent of Crystal Ball predictions. So where exactly does UT stand early on? “They are going to be in my Top 5 for sure,” Eaton said. “There is nobody I’m leaning to right now. But I’m building a great relationship with them. I text Coach (Tom) Herman and Coach (Jason) Washington almost everyday. And I like the players there.”

Eaton recently received an important offer from Texas A&M. Right now, the Aggies may be the biggest threat to Texas. “Texas A&M is going to be in my top schools for sure,” Eaton said. “I was waiting on them to offer me. They took their time and evaluated me. Coach Jimbo (Fisher) said he was going to recruit me hard from then on, and that’s exactly what he’s been doing.” Along with the pair of in-state schools, Eaton is also strongly considering LSU, Florida, Oklahoma and a handful of others.

At 6-foot-2, 175 pounds, Eaton is ranked as the No. 35 cornerback in the country and No. 62 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

Eric Nahlin: Upon Further Review: Renewed Thoughts on a Handful of Prospects

I'll write this in a 'stock up, down, or holding' manner but that isn't to slight the prospect in any way. It's not even to say I don't want them in the class. It just means I was personally too high on them previously. That's what I'm going on -- what my previous thoughts were. So, e.g., if I wasn't high on Jalen Kimber because I didn't properly credit his athleticism, I'll show him trending up based on that. 

Many of these players I saw this past weekend. Others, I've just been doing my homework and contacting people who are close to the situation.

There would be more that I'd have trending down, except I just wrote a top-25 that excludes many big name players for differing reasons. I'm just not as high on Malik Hornsby, Lorando Johnson, Dwight McGlothern, RJ Mickens, Branard Wright, etc. 

CB Jalen Kimber (Mansfield Timberview): UP After wrecking the Nike SPARQ and seeing his offers explode his trajectory is obvious. He lacks physical maturity but has emotional and technical maturity in abundance. The physical variety is by far the easiest to add -- in many cases it just requires time. He'll be ready to play as soon as his build is.

DB Xavion Alford (Shadow Creek): DOWN I'm not down on him as a take, I'm just not as high on him as I was a couple of weeks ago when I ranked him #14. That's too high because I'm beginning to question his ceiling. This stems mainly from a conversation with someone I trust: 

Pros:
"Loves the game. Great ball skills. Fearless."

Cons:
"No elite speed. Wants to be physical but can’t deliver at elite level. Will miss in space as last resort. Will struggle in box due to size. Best at boundary corner or free safety."

He also said, "He fits somewhere... not everywhere."

And, "Not a “can’t miss” miss guy but with his love for the game and general athleticism the right program will optimize his ability." 

That line about "wants to be physical but can't deliver at elite level" is something I've mentioned as well but with added S&C I think he'll start delivering. He's not a naturally explosive tackler, however. Alford is currently at 185 and my source wondered how well he'd move at 200 pounds.

For someone who has a ton of faith in UT's evaluation and development I hope they land all their targets, I just wanted to share an informed opinion.

RB Ty Jordan (West Mesquite): UP ICYMI. Getting a good feel for his football character and versatility has me thinking he'd look great in this class regardless of how running back recruiting shakes out.

QB Ken Seals (Weatherford): UP I don't pay as close attention to 7 on 7 as some others so I didn't even know I was watching Seals initially. I usually just attend these events to grab some interviews or fact-check size/frame. After watching just a handful of throws Seals had my attention and I finally put it together when I saw his dad standing a little further down the sideline (we've chatted on Twitter in the past). Accurate with good arm strength tells the story, at least in this setting. He made one of the best passes I've seen in a while on a corner route that had very little margin for error. Throws well on the move too. I partially have him as 'stock up' because I think he's going to have a nice run of offers this spring. A&M is looking and would be wise to jump in. Oklahoma State too. Seals will be at the Houston Elite 11 this weekend I wouldn't be surprised if his ticket was punched for the summer event.

CB Kelee Ringo (Saguaro): UP How can a five-star have his stock up? Because he was never challenged in high school, the camp setting is going to be useful. He lives up to the hype and then some. I like my comp of Tony Brown, if Tony Brown knew how to football. Incredibly strong with great size and loose hips, Ringo would be a five-star if he was 6-foot, so it's not just a size queen thing. He's much more than just a big corner. He would take the Texas secondary to the next level as a boundary corner who needs little safety help and plays the run with energy. When you can see guys kicking ass without breaking a sweat, it makes you wonder just how special they are. Zach Evans has some of that to him as well. Special players and I still crack up at CJ Robinson's reaction (Evans' brother) when I told him Ringo was a corner. He was shook. He thought Ringo was a receiver.

QB Chandler Morris (Highland Park): UP The owner of great mechanics but not to the point he's mechanical. He throws accurately and with good velocity. Our quarterback trainer on retainer wrote about him here. I chided Chad Morris for prioritizing his son over King Haynes and this is my mea culpa -- at least to a degree.

RB Tahj Brooks (Manor): UP I liken him to Rawleigh Williams who was going to have a terrific career at Arkansas (1300 yards as a sophomore) before injury forced retirement. Brooks gets downhill fast, cuts on a dime, and has loose hips. There's some Rhamondre Stevenson to his game too, if you recall the JUCO target from last cycle who ended up at OU. Brooks also displays natural hands. He's a volume back who can catch out of the back-field and get matched up on little guys. He's going to be a load at 5-foot-9, 230 pounds in college. Recent offers are TCU, Arkansas, Utah, and Cal. If he waits, one of the big boys will jump in.

CB Ryan Watts (Little Elm): UP His limbs remind of an elm tree, seemingly angling in every direction at once. Not only does he have absurd length (6-foot-8 wingspan), he knows how to use it. There is a bit of tightness in his hips for the position but his length coupled with quickness and speed should mitigate those concerns. He's corner specific despite having some width to his frame -- which adds a bit of boom or bust to the equation. I think he makes it at corner, though. He'll be as good as the amount of work he puts in to sure up his technique.

CB Jahari Rogers (Arlington): HOLDING I already liked him before I watched him this past weekend. Quick feet and loose hips, he's also competitive with the ability to make up for a poor misplay. He was accountable after a screw up, which I like to see rather than pointing his finger. I feel the same as I did coming into the weekend -- he'll need to hone technique but athleticism won't be an issue. Not big by the standards UT is going after but not small either. Good, solid frame. Good player with even more upside than his athleticism suggests because of how much his technique will improve on campus.

I think he and Watts end up at OU. Really good gets along with DJ Graham (stock up) who will play corner or receiver.

WR Tristan Golightly (Mesquite Poteet): UP His last name conjures a wispy corner light on his feet, but he's a thundering wide recevier with very good size. His 6-foot-5 listing is generous, but he's a big, well-built player. Lacks blazing speed but is an easy mover in space. 7 on 7 isn't his game but his fluidity makes him a weapon. Best offers are Louisville, UCF, and Iowa State but he'll get some bigger ones this spring. Good looking player who could be a flex weapon rather than outside receiver.

QB Ja'Quinden Jackson (Duncanville): DOWN He's an interesting prospect because I'm actually higher on his natural passing ability than I was in December but still don't see him as a college quarterback. Even Ken Seals' dad said something to the effect, "He's entirely different throwing the ball from a year ago. He looks like a college quarterback." Time will tell on that but I think he's destined for a position switch in college. However, I'm in full agreement with those who think he should be recruited as a quarterback and start off his career in that room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I'll give Morris credit, pig has really stepped up their graphic game.

From the design of this tweet, I'd say that Arkansas has a new graphics team out of Antwerp or Tel Aviv working on their mockups for recruiting.

Edited by Napoleon

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:
From the design of this tweet, I'd say that Arkansas has a new graphics out of Antwerp or Tel Aviv working on their mockups for recruiting.

d28.gif

(In all seriousness, Arkansas is the only state in the country where you can mine diamonds, and that's why there's a diamond shape on their state flag. Fun fact!)

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

In all seriousness, Arkansas is the only state in the country where you can mine diamonds, and that's why there's a diamond shape on their state flag. Fun fact!)

Is it all bort? or are the diamonds clear?

I know that there is a state park that you can pay to go digging around and are allowed to keep what you find.

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Is it all bort? or are the diamonds clear?

I know that there is a state park that you can pay to go digging around and are allowed to keep what you find.

Crater of the Diamonds.  Went there as a kid.  Taking my own kids in July.  /close to home and all

• Like 2

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

I'll give Morris credit, pig has really stepped up their graphic game.

It helps that they've changed up their uniforms as well. Their unis from the mid-2000s weren't much more than bland blOU knockoffs.

Edited by satyanash

E.J. Holland: Quick note on Kelee Ringo

I'm told the visit couldn't be going better. Yes, he is still on campus and might stay through Saturday. But that's still up in the air. He still has no return flight. Ringo has been bonding with the staff and players and catching practice since arriving in Austin. His mom did not make it in due to weather and work schedule. While that's a little disappointing, I know she's high on Texas as well and really likes the program.

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance if this has already been discussed but who is Ringo staying with? Does he have family in the area? With this being an unofficial the University can’t provide him any support such as lodging meals, right? Not trying to stir the pot just kinda curious. 

7 minutes ago, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

Excuse my ignorance if this has already been discussed but who is Ringo staying with? Does he have family in the area? With this being an unofficial the University can’t provide him any support such as lodging meals, right? Not trying to stir the pot just kinda curious. 

The Zetas 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

South Austin's mom has always been very hospitable.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2