Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

7 hours ago, Here’s the deal said:

I hope your right about him playing up the package deal with George.  Because my concern isn’t with Evans, it’s with George.  A few pages back there were clips of George at some camp and he didn’t exactly blow away the competition.  He had some good reps and some reps where guys blew by him.  Who’s to say that George’s ranking doesn’t go down after his senior season and Herman backs off of George.  Is Evans going to insist Texas show George love?  A lot can happen in the next year.  What if they commit to Texas and George doesn’t see the field and decides to transfer.  Evans going with him? 

I can only go by what he says and not hope he’s just jerking some reporter around.  I’m sure Herman has a backup plan.

The fact you think Herman recruits based on what the $9.95'ers say about a recruit or how they rank a them is hilarious. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Troll with a lighter touch and you’ll be able string it out longer. 

I’m not trolling.  I just think there’s a possibility that Evans recruitment goes south because of his insistence to play with George.  I think Herman is aware of this and that’s why he’s still rècruiting other running backs.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, Here’s the deal said:

I’m not trolling.  I just think there’s a possibility that Evans recruitment goes south because of his insistence to play with George.  I think Herman is aware of this and that’s why he’s still rècruiting other running backs.

We've offered George and by all accounts would shut down OL recruiting if he and Lindberg came on board.  The Evans recruitment may very well go south at some point, but it won't be over whether we want George.  We do.

6 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

We've offered George and by all accounts would shut down OL recruiting if he and Lindberg came on board.  The Evans recruitment may very well go south at some point, but it won't be over whether we want George.  We do.

I hope you’re right.  But you have to admit, George isn’t a typical Herman/Hand offer.  He’s 350+ and doesn’t have the quickest feet.

NSIAP - 5 * RB Bijan Robinson coming in for the spring game.

Texas is gearing up to host a huge recruit for its spring game next month.

Five-star Salpointe Catholic (AZ) running back Bijan Robinson is making his way to Austin for an unofficial visit and is excited for his first look at the program.

“I’m actually visiting Texas with my coaches,” Robinson said. “We are going out there just to check it out and see if I like it. I just want to see the players and what kind of relationships they have with the coaches. I just want to vibe with everybody. I’m excited to talk to Coach (Tim) Beck and everyone.” Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck has strong ties in the state of Arizona — he was the former head coach at Saguaro High School — and has been running point in this recruitment.

So far, Beck has done a tremendous job of recruiting Robinson.

“I talk to Coach Beck all the time,” Robinson said. “That’s who I really talk to a lot. Coach Beck is the man. I love his personality and how outgoing he is. He’s a great recruiter and knows how to get players to his school.”

Robinson added that he is impressed with the way the Longhorns are recruiting out West and has been in contact with some of the signees.

“I talk to Jake Smith and them all the time,” Robinson said. “I just talk to them about the recruiting process and how they love Texas. I just want to get my own feel for it.”

Robinson also likes the program’s tradition as well as the idea of spending his college career in Austin. “Austin is just a great city,” Robinson said. “I really like the tradition at Texas. I also like what they are doing right now with the come up. That’s really impacting me.”Along with Texas, Robinson is looking to make visits to Ohio State and Oklahoma this spring.At 6-foot, 200 pounds, Robinson is ranked as the No. 5 running back and No. 26 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Bijan-Robinson-46040672/

Mike Roach: Texas still standing out to four-star DL Alfred Collins

Alfred Collins is seeing the sights this spring. The four-star defensive lineman from Bastrop Cedar Creek has been on a few visits. After talking with coaches and seeing various campuses, Collins has five schools standing out to him right now. “UT, A&M, OU, Bama and Notre Dame are standing out,” he said.

With Texas, there are a lot of natural ties. Collins’ mother played basketball for the Longhorns, and Austin is extremely close to his hometown of Bastrop. Collins said he grew up a huge fan of Texas. “I’ve always loved the Longhorns," Collins said. "It’s in my blood, you know." 

Despite that, Collins is treating his recruitment with an open mind. He’s been to Austin a few times this spring, so he’s decided to head to College Station for the spring game. Right now, that’s the only spring game visit he has planned. Outside of the in-state powers, Collins wants to visit South Bend. The Fighting Irish recruited the state of Texas hard over the last few cycles, and Collins wants to see more from them.

For Texas, the relationship with defensive line coach Oscar Giles is paying off here. Collins is a soft-spoken young man, but he said that he relates well with Giles, and he thinks a lot of his coaching. “He’s a good coach and a funny guy,” Collins said.

Collins would like to take a few spring official visits, but he currently has no decision timeline planned. He discussed making his spring game visit to A&M an official, but that isn’t set in stone yet. At 6-foot-5, 245 pounds, Collins is ranked as the No. 12 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 28 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If you thought we could get Evans by giving him two scholarships, we'd all do that in a heartbeat right? Think of it that way. Any contribution at all by George is gravy. 

Yeah, I love fuckheads who get up in arms about this notion. I don't remember anyone bitching about Tim Cole to get Malcolm Brown, or bemoaning Malcolm Brown's contribution as a Longhorn with an asterisk because of Tim Cole. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, I love fuckheads who get up in arms about this notion. I don't remember anyone bitching about Tim Cole to get Malcolm Brown, or bemoaning Malcolm Brown's contribution as a Longhorn with an asterisk because of Tim Cole. 

Or the more recent instance in the Foreman brothers. That turned out pretty good.

• Like 3

just catching up on the evans interviews (grain of salt with this guy and what he says to reporters, etc) but has anyone seen a package deal shake out the way this one seems to be?

in the past, they seem to have rarely worked out, which is to say guys who say they want to play together typically eventually look out for themselves and do what they feel is best for them, and no school is rewarded for being high on both lists.  

but this case seems unusual, because the way evans talks, you would think george is a total nobody with a short list of small school offers.  whether he's legit or not, top schools are after him, but evans' comments almost read like, "well if you want me, you'll have to take my boy as well".  at this point, it looks like george could end up at a "better" spot (bama, georgia) than evans (if he chooses us).

bizarre.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

just catching up on the evans interviews (grain of salt with this guy and what he says to reporters, etc) but has anyone seen a package deal shake out the way this one seems to be?

in the past, they seem to have rarely worked out, which is to say guys who say they want to play together typically eventually look out for themselves and do what they feel is best for them, and no school is rewarded for being high on both lists.  

but this case seems unusual, because the way evans talks, you would think george is a total nobody with a short list of small school offers.  whether he's legit or not, top schools are after him, but evans' comments almost read like, "well if you want me, you'll have to take my boy as well".  at this point, it looks like george could end up at a "better" spot (bama, georgia) than evans (if he chooses us).

bizarre.

Wtf. Negged.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

how did tim cole know malcolm brown in high school?  brenham isn’t that close to cibolo. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, futureman said:

georgia is “better” than UT?  elaborate on that, mogambo. 

first off, i put better in quotes, for this very reason.  second, i would say the health and success of georgia and bama the past few years (more with bama) are fairly obvious.  would i trade places with them?  of course not.  am i excited about us moving forward?  youbetcha.  but as i stated, the way it's being framed, you'd think george is staring down offers from mcneese st, but could very well end up at a perennial playoff school.

which is also why i ended it by saying "bizarre".  sorry if i offended your delicate sensibilities.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

first off, i put better in quotes, for this very reason.  second, i would say the health and success of georgia and bama the past few years (more with bama) are fairly obvious.  would i trade places with them?  of course not.  am i excited about us moving forward?  youbetcha.  but as i stated, the way it's being framed, you'd think george is staring down offers from mcneese st, but could very well end up at a perennial playoff school.

which is also why i ended it by saying "bizarre".  sorry if i offended your delicate sensibilities.

goddamn right you’re sorry. 

55 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What if you could get Milton, Bijan, or McClellan along with someone like Tosh Baker instead? Is Evans that much better than those guys?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think you’re missing my point.  I could care less if we give up an extra scholarship to get Evans.  But this “I want to play with X” seems, at this point at least, so over the top that it might carry over after they get on campus.  I gave examples above.  And I’m not up in arms. I was just pointing out that his interview might not align with Herman’s team first requirement.  Didn’t realize this board couldn’t handle a semi-negative post about our top RB prospect.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

What if you could get Milton, Bijan, or McClellan along with someone like Tosh Baker instead? Is Evans that much better than those guys?

Well, than McClellan, yes. As for the rest, well, when its more than wishful thinking Ill take it seriously. But my comment was more on the idea of package deals in general. Honestly at this point id take either of those “deals” and play a game of “bird in the hand.” Whichever one it would be. 

3 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

I think you’re missing my point.  I could care less if we give up an extra scholarship to get Evans.  But this “I want to play with X” seems, at this point at least, so over the top that it might carry over after they get on campus.  I gave examples above.  And I’m not up in arms. I was just pointing out that his interview might not align with Herman’s team first requirement.  Didn’t realize this board couldn’t handle a semi-negative post about our top RB prospect.

“I’m doing great here and saw the field early but my boy isn’t getting any PT so I’m transferring.”

You can be a better troll than this 

13 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

Put a cork in it, dumbass.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

I would happily take any of Evans, Bijan, or Milton. If a quality OL prospect comes in conjunction with any of them, fine by me. McLellan is an Aledo runningback and I'm not going to be pumped if he's the TB1 that Texas finishes with in the 2020 class.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, than McClellan, yes. As for the rest, well, when its more than wishful thinking Ill take it seriously. But my comment was more on the idea of package deals in general. Honestly at this point id take either of those “deals” and play a game of “bird in the hand.” Whichever one it would be. 

If we're just talking package deals in general, they should be looked at in a case by case basis. How good is the lead prospect, how good is the barnacle prospect, who would the lesser prospect be pushing out of the class, how big of a need is the lead prospect filling, etc.? 

They shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, but as we start to be able to land better prospects across the board, the package deals will probably need to be better for Tom to consider them. 

I'm not disagreeing with you or anything here I don't think, but just using your response as a piggyback 

Zachary Evans:

Texas quarterback commit Hudson Card is recruiting Evans hard, and has been emphasizing the distance aspect.

“He says you can go to the league from anywhere. You put up your numbers, put up your stats, let’s go, do it in your backyard, you don’t have to leave the state to do it.”

But it’s not a state pride thing.

“I’m trying to take care of my family. I’m not worried about what anyone’s opinion is. I’m going to take care of my family and do right by them.”

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2019/3/20/18274271/zachary-evans-recruit-running-back-damieon-george-texas-lsu?_ga=2.92147098.164802981.1553188419-1422244604.1552334278

Lets hope is is talking about after getting drafted by the NFL and not "drafted and paid" by:

SEC-USA.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I was going to ask this exact question til I saw you post it. I agree with others that I would take either of the package deals in a heartbeat.  I haven't seen enough of Bijan to say, however I'm not that high on McClellan. Aledo makes every RB look good and he has a ton of miles. He's a slight tier below Evans/Milton IMO.  

I actually like what I saw out of George at the Opening camp. He has decent feet that could be improved if he lost about 50 lbs of bad weight and gained some good weight.  I could see him contributing at guard by year 3. He seems like less of a wasted scholarship than I thought before. The flipside is Tosh Baker has great size, great bloodlines, and is a UT legacy.

Not to mention, if we get our preferred 5 OL right now, I'm not so sure there's more than 1 OT in that group. I question Lindberg's ability to stick at RT. Ideally, we would've grabbed one of Parr/Majors and swapped the second one out for Tosh (or maybe even Crawford), however the odds are decent that we miss on one of Lindberg/George, and I hope we've kept Baker warm enough until then so that we can move on him if we do. 

25 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Speaking of Tosh Baker, isn't he the one whose mom graduated from UT?  Is he visiting anytime soon?

I haven't heard much about us pushing for him. My guess is the staff wants to keep him interested, but keep that quiet from George/Lindberg but who knows. It would be a mistake for the staff to not at least recruit him and/or Crawford in the background while we see how the Lindberg and George recruitments play out. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I was going to ask this exact question til I saw you post it. I agree with others that I would take either of the package deals in a heartbeat.  I haven't seen enough of Bijan to say, however I'm not that high on McClellan. Aledo makes every RB look good and he has a ton of miles. He's a slight tier below Evans/Milton IMO.  

I actually like what I saw out of George at the Opening camp. He has decent feet that could be improved if he lost about 50 lbs of bad weight and gained some good weight.  I could see him contributing at guard by year 3. He seems like less of a wasted scholarship than I thought before. The flipside is Tosh Baker has great size, great bloodlines, and is a UT legacy.

Not to mention, if we get our preferred 5 OL right now, I'm not so sure there's more than 1 OT in that group. I question Lindberg's ability to stick at RT. Ideally, we would've grabbed one of Parr/Majors and swapped the second one out for Tosh (or maybe even Crawford), however the odds are decent that we miss on one of Lindberg/George, and I hope we've kept Baker warm enough until then so that we can move on him if we do. 

I haven't heard much about us pushing for him. My guess is the staff wants to keep him interested, but keep that quiet from George/Lindberg but who knows. It would be a mistake for the staff to not at least recruit him and/or Crawford in the background while we see how the Lindberg and George recruitments play out. 

I think I'm fine with whatever scenario that gives us one of these four RBs. I actually like McClellan a lot even though he's probably my least favorite of the four. I'd love to have Jo'q Marks as a RB2, and Ty Jordan as a RB3- perhaps snuck into the class as a slot although now that the mods are more bullish on Mookie returning to the class, that option seems more doubtful. 

I really don't like George, so bringing in a better 5th OL is a nice potential silver lining in my eyes. I think Crawford is a guy you have to recruit like you want his commit right now, and I don't think we'll have a chance to do that. 

Edited by Fud

Just now, Fud said:

I think I'm fine with whatever scenario that gives us one of these four RBs. I actually like McClellan a lot even though he's probably my least favorite of the four. I'd love to have Jo'q Marks as a RB2, and Ty Jordan as a RB3- perhaps snuck into the class as a slot although now that the mods are more bullish on Mookie returning to the class, that option seems more doubtful. 

Agreed. Although Baker is a pretty big step above George IMO, so i might almost prefer one of the other RBs plus Baker, but I haven't seen enough of Milton/Bijan to have much of an opinion on the gap between Evans and those two. I assume the staff would take any of those RBs before Evans, but idk for sure. The staff seems pretty all in on Evans at this point.

32 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not to mention, if we get our preferred 5 OL right now, I'm not so sure there's more than 1 OT in that group. I question Lindberg's ability to stick at RT. Ideally, we would've grabbed one of Parr/Majors and swapped the second one out for Tosh (or maybe even Crawford), however the odds are decent that we miss on one of Lindberg/George.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Lindberg eventually is a Guard.  Nothing wrong with that, but like you said it potentially leaves Garth as the only true Tackle.

On the flip side, Tommy B. and Savion Byrd look like great Tackle's for 2021 with guys like Donovan Jackson and Conner as swing guys.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Lindberg eventually is a Guard.  Nothing wrong with that, but like you said it potentially leaves Garth as the only true Tackle.

On the flips side, Tommy B. and Savion Byrd look like great Tackle's for 2021 with guys like Donovan Jackson and Conner as swing guys.

Yeah. I like Lindberg because he has a very high floor. Hard to not see him working out as a guard, at minimum. And we took 3 OTs in 2019, so taking 4 interior OL won't hurt too much if we bookend the 2020 class well. If we get 5 in any combination of the 7 guys mentioned above, I'll be more than happy. 

Lindberg is like Tyler Johnson and eventually Hayden Conner to me; he's a potential great college tackle, but if you're one of the five or so teams in the country who can bring in two premium tackles every year, they could be elite guards and help give you an elite OL

Regarding potentially not taking enough tackles in 2020, we did just take three potential tackles in 2019 (although obviously counting on Shepherd might be ill advised), and there's a chance we bring in four tackles in 2021, including three who can potentially play early in Brock, Connor, and Jackson 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. I like Lindberg because he has a very high floor. Hard to not see him working out as a guard, at minimum. And we took 3 OTs in 2019, so taking 4 interior OL won't hurt too much if we bookend the 2020 class well. If we get 5 in any combination of the 7 guys mentioned above, I'll be more than happy. 

Beat me to it, basically 

Here are some testing #'s from the Houston opening.

Omeire - 6'3.5/217 lbs. 4.69 forty with a 4.37 shuttle.

Alford - 6'/182 lbs. 4.55 forty with a 4.50 shuttle.

Collins - 6'5/247 lbs. 5.00 forty with a 4.44 shuttle.

Broughton - 6'5/286 lbs. 5.03 forty with a 4.75 shuttle.

George - 6'6.5/348 lbs. 6.00 forty with a 5.33 shuttle.

Lindberg - 6'6.5/327 lbs. 5.03 shuttle.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

On 3/20/2019 at 1:30 PM, Fud said:

Looking back at Collins' visits during the season, he visited A&M for the Clemson game, and then went to four straight Texas home games, including back to back big wins against USC and TCU; the others were Baylor and WVU. So he went to Clemson instead of Tulsa, and didn't make Iowa State, but visited every game in between, and made four out of six home games. 

He then visited the first weekend recruits are allowed to visit after the dead period

I wonder if a small part of his not visiting since is him already seeing Texas five times in five months?

I think you can make a case for Collins being the most important recruit for this class ( and it sounds crazy saying that being a legacy ).  I think we get Broughton and Dorbah up front and we will pull in a legit DB haul once again.  Orlando has shown every year to get an OOS stud at LB and also in-state. 

On the other side Hand has OL on lockdown and we should pull in a good WR or 2.  You have to think we get at least one of the top RB guys.  I have no idea what the plan is at TE in this class.

So yeah, Collins would cement a great DL haul along with Broughton and Dorbah ( and defense overall ).  Missing on Collins likely means chasing late risers/projects to finish out DL.