Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

55 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

So he'll be playing opposite Ricks, right? Not a bad HS CB tandem. 

Maybe. They have another corner that was committed to OU until recently. He has a Texas offer if I remember correctly. Last name is hyphenated... Darrion Green-Warren.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Looked up the name.

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Bevonuggets is gonna be finding $50 trips to Whataburger all over his credit card history for years. 

4lLww-zL.jpeg

I know that is an old picture of Ketch. At some point after that he either was in a coma for a couple of years and couldn’t eat or he had bypass surgery or the largest tapeworm on record. I haven’t seen him for several years and I’ve heard he has regained a lot of weight. Any new pics?

Edited by Bear19

E.J. Holland: Who's next? A look at five commit candidates

Texas made a splash this weekend as it landed Bishop Dunne athlete Jaden Hullaby. So who's next? Here is a look at five candidates that could join the future.

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin

Omeire is closing in on a decision, which could happen at some point in the next couple of months. Omeire was considered a Texas A&M lean for quite some time, but Texas has done a tremendous job this calendar year. While it's still a heated battle, it appears the Longhorns have momentum on their side. UT made a splash on his recent unofficial visit, and he has a strong bond with wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer. Notre Dame is still in the mix as well, but the buzz is Omeire wants to stay close to home.

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek

Look, Lindberg doesn't want to make an early decision, but it's clear the Longhorns are making a huge impression on him and his family, especially after his most recent visit. Lindberg has developed a strong relationship with the Texas coaching staff as well as the commits in the 2020 class. Texas may try to push Lindberg to commit early as he has a chance to be the ringleader for this class. Along with Texas, Lindberg is still high on schools like Georgia and Stanford. Texas A&M is looking to work its way back in as well.

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek

A four-star prospect, Collins has been to Texas on several occasions and is a legacy — his mother played basketball on the Forty Acres. Collins has stated that he might pull the trigger soon. Right now, the Longhorns have the inside track in this recruitment thanks to his ties to the program. Though, he is also strongly considering Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Texas A&M. Collins is looking to visit Texas before the spring game. He will be at Texas A&M's spring game on April 13.

CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler

Crawford picked up an offer from the Longhorns right before his junior day visit in February and raved about his time on campus. Texas is pushing for Crawford as the Longhorns love his size and athleticism. The Longhorns have strong ties in East Texas and have had success there in the past. Right now, Texas holds 100 percent of Crystal Ball predictions, but he is still considering Arkansas, Baylor and a few others.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage

This recruitment seems like an easy one for Texas to win if it pushes hard. Dixon attended every Texas home game this past season and is the younger brother of freshman running back Keaontay Ingram. It would be very surprising if Dixon didn't join his brother in Austin. This one is looking like more of a when rather than an if as long as the Longhorns take him. The three-star prospect has the potential to play wide receiver or defensive back at the next level.

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Who's next? A look at five commit candidates

Hide contents

Texas made a splash this weekend as it landed Bishop Dunne athlete Jaden Hullaby. So who's next? Here is a look at five candidates that could join the future.

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin

Omeire is closing in on a decision, which could happen at some point in the next couple of months. Omeire was considered a Texas A&M lean for quite some time, but Texas has done a tremendous job this calendar year. While it's still a heated battle, it appears the Longhorns have momentum on their side. UT made a splash on his recent unofficial visit, and he has a strong bond with wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer. Notre Dame is still in the mix as well, but the buzz is Omeire wants to stay close to home.

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek

Look, Lindberg doesn't want to make an early decision, but it's clear the Longhorns are making a huge impression on him and his family, especially after his most recent visit. Lindberg has developed a strong relationship with the Texas coaching staff as well as the commits in the 2020 class. Texas may try to push Lindberg to commit early as he has a chance to be the ringleader for this class. Along with Texas, Lindberg is still high on schools like Georgia and Stanford. Texas A&M is looking to work its way back in as well.

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek

A four-star prospect, Collins has been to Texas on several occasions and is a legacy — his mother played basketball on the Forty Acres. Collins has stated that he might pull the trigger soon. Right now, the Longhorns have the inside track in this recruitment thanks to his ties to the program. Though, he is also strongly considering Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Texas A&M. Collins is looking to visit Texas before the spring game. He will be at Texas A&M's spring game on April 13.

CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler

Crawford picked up an offer from the Longhorns right before his junior day visit in February and raved about his time on campus. Texas is pushing for Crawford as the Longhorns love his size and athleticism. The Longhorns have strong ties in East Texas and have had success there in the past. Right now, Texas holds 100 percent of Crystal Ball predictions, but he is still considering Arkansas, Baylor and a few others.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage

This recruitment seems like an easy one for Texas to win if it pushes hard. Dixon attended every Texas home game this past season and is the younger brother of freshman running back Keaontay Ingram. It would be very surprising if Dixon didn't join his brother in Austin. This one is looking like more of a when rather than an if as long as the Longhorns take him. The three-star prospect has the potential to play wide receiver or defensive back at the next level.

I would think that we would wait on Kelvontay. We have limited ships and there are higher rated recruits on our board. 

Mike Roach: Missouri DL Jalen Logan-Redding talks Texas offer, visit

Jalen Logan-Redding didn’t know what to expect when he visited Austin. The three-star defensive end from Rock Bridge (MO) has been in contact with Oscar Giles for the last few months. Logan-Redding finally made the visit over the weekend, and he loved what he saw. “Coach Giles reached out to me months ago, and he also came to my school to visit,” he said. “He gave me some dates to visit the facility and campus, and I came this weekend because it was open to me and my family. It went great. I enjoyed touring the facility and meeting the football staff. I enjoyed spending time with Coach Giles and meeting Tom Herman. The spring practice was intense, which I loved, and I enjoyed watching the Texas Relays as well.”

While he was on the visit, Logan-Redding received an offer from Texas. The offer and meeting with coaches were huge highlights, but Logan-Redding really loved watching practice. “Receiving the offer and meeting Coach Herman is at the top of the list,” he said. “But I have to say, I was excited to see the players practicing. They were really getting into it, and it was intense. I loved the energy.”

The offer is always a big moment for a prospect, and Logan-Redding said that he was very excited when Tom Herman personally delivered it. “It felt surreal,” he said. “I was excited when Coach Herman told me he was giving me an offer to play for the Texas Longhorns.” Logan-Redding does not have a list of top schools yet, but he’s working on making one. He is also planning to return to Austin for an official visit later in the process. At 6-foot-4, 235 pounds, Logan-Redding is ranked as the No. 24 weak-side defensive end in the nation and No. 11 overall prospect in Missouri, according to 247Sports Composite.

1 hour ago, Bear19 said:

I know that is an old picture of Ketch. At some point after that he either was in a coma for a couple of years and couldn’t eat or he had bypass surgery or the largest tapeworm on record. I haven’t seen him for several years and I’ve heard he has regained a lot of weight. Any new pics?

Just google him.  There are lots.  This is one thing that Texags did well; troll fat fuck Ketch.  He’s such a douchebag.

1 minute ago, Richter said:

The first year following recruiting is what leads to the addiction, my friend.  Quit now or go all in.

Oh I am always sort of following recruiting. I was making jokes about the unlikely and ridiculous possibility Bru McCoy was coming to Texas the whole 2019 thread. Boy those delusional people must feel stupid now!

Anyway my sophistication and maturity demanded I make a joke about the hardness of recruits for their commitments.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-tuesday-april-2nd/

Recruiting Big Boards (QB & RB)
– CJ Vogel

QUARTERBACK

Obviously with Hudson Card in the mix, Texas is rather content with the position for the moment, but regardless, they are sill keeping eyes on guys.

HUDSON CARD

• Hudson Card is the guy. It’s that simple.
  • Card has been instrumental as the lead guy in Texas’ 2020 recruiting class. His role in recruitments like Logan Parr and Jake Majors shows how committed he is to the Texas class.

HAYNES KING

• King’s stock has skyrocketed the past couple of months and for good reason.
  • After leading Longview to the 6A DII State Title this past season, he has quickly found himself as a consensus top 10 quarterback in the nation.
  • LSU recently hosted King, and at the moment, it doesn’t appear Texas is interested in him at all.

MALIK HORNSBY

• For the first chunk of Hornsby’s recruitment, it appeared it would be a Texas/Texas A&M battle. But Texas has slowly distanced itself in the Hornsby recruitment, with Card in the fold.
  • A&M is the favorite for Hornsby at the moment.

RUNNINGBACK

There could be an interesting development in Norman that may trickle down and affect the Longhorns at some point during the 2020 recruiting cycle. The RB class, especially in the DFW area, is absolutely loaded this year.

There is more and more steam of five-star RB Kendall Milton potentially siding with Oklahoma despite Aledo RB Jase McClellan having been a member of the class for about 20 months. Depending on how things shake out with Zach Evans, McClellan could become a much larger factor for the 2020 class down the road.

ZACH EVANS

• Still the top dog in this class, Zach Evans out of North Shore (Houston, TX) is just coming off of a visit to College Station, a visit that has been in the works for quite a while.
  • On his visit, Evans and his brother CJ Robinson met up with current Texas A&M WR commit Demond Demas.
  • Evans was able to get a peak of Texas A&M’s practice and spent time with head coach Jimbo Fisher on the visit.
  • Texas is still in a very good position, however A&M did make up ground with the top player in the state. The race will only tighten up in the coming months.

BIJAN ROBINSON

• As we saw in K’s post earlier this week, Robinson (Tucson, AZ) is set to visit Austin for Texas’ Spring Game.
  • Robinson is looking to lock in his official visits by the summer so he can make a decision before the seaosn starts, so Texas will need to make an impactful impression to be one of those five OVs.

KENDALL MILTON

• There is real movement with Milton and the Oklahoma Sooners as of late. While OU has Aledo RB Jase McClellan in the mix already, there are moving more into the mix with Milton.
  • Alabama and USC are still two schools that are firmly in the top group for the five-star running back.
  • Texas is still working on Milton, but has ground to make up if they want to be a serious player.

JASE McCLELLAN

• Depending on what happens with Milton, McClellan’s pledge to the Sooners may come into question.
  • McClellan has been committed to the Sooners since July of 2017 and was totally expected to stay firm for the duration until signing day.
  • It’ll be interesting to see if the Milton domino falls in favor of the Sooners, if McClellan will stick as a member of an elite two-back class. If not, then there’s reason to expect the Longhorns to be back in the mix.
  • McClellan is cousins with former Longhorn Johnathan Gray and has visited Austin several times during his recruitment.

SETH MCGOWAN

• Texas was left off of McGowan’s top 10 list a month ago.
  • McGowan is really set on playing in the SEC so it’s safe to assume this ship has sailed.

TY JORDAN

• A few weeks ago, the question popped up if Texas would take a scat back like Jordan with Mookie Cooper in the fold. Well, with Cooper decommitting, those questions are no longer here.
  • Jordan is coming off of a visit to USC and Texas may be in for another battle with the Trojans for a coveted recruit. It’s sounding like the visit out west went real well for USC.
  • Texas will need to continue to press for Jordan if they have hopes of him joining the 2020 class.

EJ SMITH

• Texas just offered Smith (Dallas Jesuit) this past weekend but does have an outside shot.
  • At the moment, all signs are pointing towards Smith heading to Gainesville to follow his father, Emmitt Smith, as a member of the Florida Gators.
  • Texas needs to get Smith and his family on campus quickly if they want a shot at the Jesuit RB.
  • Recruiting Big Board (WR & TE)
    – CJ Vogel

We’ll move on with the recruiting big board series with pass catchers. It will be interesting to see who the staff pursues at the tight end position.

WIDE RECEIVERS

TROY OMEIRE

• One of the top wide receivers in the state of Texas, Omeire recently visited the Longhorns and Texas stands in a pretty good spot.
  • The selling point from Texas is how they successfully utilize their big offensive weapons and with another season with Collin Johnson and Malcolm Epps looming, they’ll be able to feature the big WR even more in 2019 as a selling point.
  • Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU and Notre Dame are other schools to keep an eye on.
  • DEMOND DEMAS

• Obviously Demas is still committed to Texas A&M, and though it was thought to be a pretty loose commitment, Demas has firmly stuck to his pledge thus far.
  • Do not forget that Demas is real close to Texas OL signee Javonne Shepherd and once he gets on campus this summer, a real push for Demas could kick up once again.
  • JAVIAN HESTER

• Taking top recruits out of the state of Oklahoma has never been easy for Texas, and I expect the same for Hester.
  • Though there is hope, Hester has visited Austin twice, beginning with the Texas Jr. Day.
  • Hester has stated that he wants to play with Oklahoma DB Myles Slusher – who just left out Texas from his top schools list – so there may be a larger uphill battle ahead for his services.
  • QUENTIN JOHNSTON

• One of my favorite prospects this cycle, Quentin Johnston, has a lot of talent in his speedy 6’4″ frame.
  • Johnston will be a senior at Temple HS, the same school that produced current Longhorn TE Jared Wiley and the two of them talk frequently about the transition at Texas.
  • I like where Texas sits for Johnston
  • JOHNNY WILSON

• The 5-star pass catcher from Calabasas has shown some interest in the Longhorns.
  • The 6’6″ wideout is projected to stay on the west coast, and just visited UCLA, but the signing of Bru McCoy, De’Gabriel Floyd and several other west coast guys has caught the attention of Wilson and has kept Texas alive.
  • COLLIN SULLIVAN

• One of the in-state guys that has drawn interest from the Longhorns is Collin Sullivan from Round Rock.
  • Sullivan visited Arkansas earlier in March and Baylor in January.
  • Right now it appears Sullivan is the more interested side in this recruitment.
  • MOOKIE COOPER

• Cooper recently decommitted from the Longhorns, but he is still in consideration for re-joining the class.
  • Bryan Carrington and Mookie recently exchanged a back & forth on Twitter following Mookie retweeting a tweet saying he should find his way back to Austin, so there still appears to be life.
  • KELVONTAY DIXON

• The brother of current RB Keaontay Ingram, Kelvontay Dixon has made a name for himself with his film and camp performances as of late.
  • Dixon visited Texas for the Jr. Day in January and obviously hears all about the program from Ingram.
  • Dixon is slated for an official visit to Arkansas the first weekend in April.

• TIGHT ENDS / H-BACK

The recruiting of the tight end position in the 2020 class is going to be thin, especially after Texas taking Jared Wiley and Brayden Liebrock in the 2019 class. The Longhorns will have five scholarship tight ends on roster with the inclusion of Rob Cummins to the list. With that said, it may take a while for the Longhorns to get fully involved in TE recruiting this cycle as they will probably wait and see how the numbers begin to shake out before fully committing a spot to a potential tight end target.

JADEN HULLABY

• The Longhorns earned a verbal commitment from Hullaby this past weekend and locked up a superb athlete with the ability to play multiple positions on the offensive side of the ball.
  • Hullaby rushed for 1181 yards last season on 5.12 yards per carry with over 30 receptions as well.
  • While he is listed as an APB, Texas will certainly still take a RB in the class.
  • MICHAEL HENDERSON

• Texas was very interested in ATH Michael Henderson from Carrollton Ranchview, however they lost out on his recruitment to the Oklahoma Sooners.
  • Henderson is a QB in high school but translates to exactly what Texas was looking for at the H-Back position.
  • The saying “this ship has sailed” probably applies here.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anybody think Umanmielen shows up last minute to the spring game?

He's going to show up last minute to one of the three, and that will be a sign if which of the three he's leaning towards

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Oh I am always sort of following recruiting. I was making jokes about the unlikely and ridiculous possibility Bru McCoy was coming to Texas the whole 2019 thread. Boy those delusional people must feel stupid now!

Anyway my sophistication and maturity demanded I make a joke about the hardness of recruits for their commitments.

I keep seeing this kind of "You guys were wrong about Bru, hahahahahaha!" sentiment appearing in different places. The fucking guy committed to USC on national tv, then he signed with them, then he moved into their dorms, then he enrolled in their school. He didn't surprise everyone and commit and sign to Texas. USC fucked up the end game. The predictions pointing him to USC as an enrollee were exactly correct. Whatever happened later doesn't revise the history of what he actually did first. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I keep seeing this kind of "You guys were wrong about Bru, hahahahahaha!" sentiment appearing in different places. The fucking guy committed to USC on national tv, then he signed with them, then he moved into their dorms, then he enrolled in their school. He didn't surprise everyone and commit and sign to Texas. USC fucked up the end game. The predictions pointing him to USC as an enrollee were exactly correct. Whatever happened later doesn't revise the history of what he actually did first. 

I know. I was there. I think you misunderstood my post. Even though during the whole recruitment it seemed like he was 100% going to USC people kept being ridiculously optimistic about him coming to Texas and I was making fun of them. As it turned out they, against all odds, were right. I was sarcastically calling them delusional.

So just to paraphrase: I WAS MAKING FUN OF MYSELF FOR BEING WRONG. So chill.

Edited by Valmy77

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I know. I was there. I think you misunderstood my post. Even though during the whole recruitment it seemed like he was 100% going to USC people kept being ridiculously optimistic about him coming to Texas and I was making fun of them. As it turned out they, against all odds, were right. I was sarcastically calling them delusional.

So just to paraphrase: I WAS MAKING FUN OF MYSELF FOR BEING WRONG. So chill.

I understood your post. I don't understand why you're calling yourself wrong. The guy selected, signed with, and enrolled at USC. 

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Can anyone give me a quick cliff note eval on Branard Wright?  Thought the surl came to a consensus that he's not a take but I have a friend that thinks otherwise.. Thank you.

He's this year's most cuboid recruit:

jcwrrqjyhirxzzl1oxd5

Picked up a lot of early offers based around mauling smaller kids, but teams have been backing off as it's become apparent his ceiling is pretty low - just a slow space-filling NT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

300x300.jpg

• Haha 1