Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB on Evans

Reveal hidden contents

Spoke with brother of 2020 5-star running back, Zach Evans who told me that Zach is set to release a top list, likely this evening. It sounds like the list will be a top five.

I asked his brother if Texas is in the top five. I’ll be candid. His answer surprised me. He said he didn’t know.

Here are some notes to chew on…

***Zach Evans has been to Texas on numerous occasions. His brother is a big Texas fan.

***Evans has emphasized in the past that who a school lands on the offensive line would be a big factor for him. Texas has killed it on that front landing three of the top offensive linemen in Texas. And they are well positioned with Lindberg.

***His teammate Dameion George has told me that he and Zach will play together. George told me that three schools standing out are Alabama, Texas and LSU. George told me this in the early part of the month. He and Zach were set to visit Texas for the JMBLYA festival weekend. Weather, however, changed those plans and they were forced to return home.

***Another point that has added to my sense that Texas was likely to end up with Evans has been the fact that, as I understood it, he originally planned on waiting till near signing day. That tends to push a lot of schools out just because they aren’t able to wait that long. However, something that George noted to me last time I stopped by the school was the fact that he and Evans might commit together and it could be this summer.

***The flip side of this is that Zach has mentioned in the past that he wants to play with 5-star California running back, Kendall Milton.

***Not only did Texas not make the cut for Milton’s top four (and wouldn’t have made the top five) but my sources indicate that when Milton called to let Texas know the news, things did not go well. This makes me wonder if that experience might have been passed on to Evans and whether that could have have led to the uncertainty on the part of Evans’ brother.

***Lastly, Evans brother told me they plan on visiting Ole Miss this week. That was a bit of a curveball as you wouldn’t expect a player to have a visit set up only to leave them out of their top five a couple days before. If Ole Miss is indeed in the top five and you assume Alabama and LSU are as well. That only leaves two spots for schools like TAMU, Texas, Ohio State, Georgia and others.

tenor.gif?itemid=12213247

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Lol wtf. Lose a 5 star to transfer and miss out on the top 5 of an in state 5 star RB in the same week when coaches are on vacation.

Should be an interesting return to the office next week.

Edited by Enchubben

Evans on why he didn't pick Texas. TL;DR, Texas isn't good enough and SEC = NFL

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Zachary-Evans-top-5-Alabama-LSU-Georgia-Ohio-State-Oklahoma-132387590/

HOUSTON – Zachary Evans knew his mentions would be a bit of a minefield on Tuesday afternoon.

The five-star running back and the nation’s No. 1 overall player planned to release his top five later in the day, and there would be one notable exemption from that group: A Texas-based school. Evans dropped his top 5 on Twitter, a group that consisted of Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State and Oklahoma.

No Texas. No Texas A&M. No in-state schools for the North Shore High School rising senior. 

That will likely come as a shock to many as the Longhorns had long sat as Evans’ leader in the 247Sports Crystal Ball. And while Evans likes Texas following its 10-3 season, he said the Longhorns just aren’t quite there yet from a national perspective in his mind.

“It’s just … you don’t know how to put it,” Evans told 247Sports as a part of a wide-ranging interview. “I don’t want to be disrespectful. I ain’t saying (Texas) can’t win a natty. It’s just at the moment [Texas is] not quite there. You beat Georgia but you barely beat Georgia. What about when it comes to a Bama or go to a Clemson?

"Texas is a good school, they coming up. It's just ... I don't know."

Evans said competition is one of the most important aspects in his decision-making process, and he sees the schools in his top 5 as annual contenders with dynamic running back rooms that will push him. It should come as no surprise his group consists of a trio of SEC schools; the two others have made the CFB Playoff, with Ohio State winning the title in 2014. 

“It just really comes with the competition,” Evans said. “They say the SEC is like the NFL, so I’m trying to be down pat.”

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound junior is rated as one of the best running back prospects in a generation. If he finished No. 1 overall in the 2020 class, he’d be the first running back to finish No. 1 in 247Sports Composite since LSU’s Leonard Fournette; other No. 1 overall running backs include Joe McKnight and Adrian Peterson.

Evans is a dynamic back who led North Shore High School to a 6A state championship last season. His testing numbers are elite with a 4.51-second 40-yard dash, a 37-inch vertical and a smoking 3.84 shuttle.

The five-star rusher told 247Sports he’d work through his top five and hoped to have a decision made before his senior season or at some point before the playoffs.

247Sports will have much more on Evans in the coming weeks with an in-depth profile of the nation’s No. 1 overall player.[/spoiler[

“It just really comes with the competition,” Evans said. “They say the SEC is like the NFL, so I’m trying to be down pat.”

Wasn't this the guy that retweeted an SEC-is-overrated tweet after bowl season and added an "ALL RECRUITS" comment?

• Like 1

Eric Nahlin: Texas misses the cut for Zach Evans

Got off the phone with someone dialed into North Shore pretty good. Here's what I've learned from that conversation and many others over the last year.

A post of mine from the Prospect Board. Top five in order of confidence of making it: Bama, Georgia, LSU

Not so sure: Ole Miss, Ohio State, Tennessee, Texas, OU

1. I don't give this top-five as much credence as I give others. Why? Well, I mean, he's been pretty indecisive in the recent past with visits. It's been reported he intends to visit Ole Miss soon and they didn't make the cut. His cousin is former Manvel running back and current Rebel D'Vaughn Pennamon

2. The source today said it wouldn't surprise him if Evans didn't list Texas "and it also wouldn't surprise me if he signed with Texas."

3. "In my opinion, Texas hurt itself by not seeing him as much as other schools." It isn't my opinion, it's a fact that not all schools observe the amount of visits allowed during the spring evaluation period. That genuinely hurt Texas.

4. As recently as two weeks ago I heard OU was outside of the top-five and LSU wasn't spoken very highly of. I don't see him at OU but the LSU news was surprising. This is more like it and I think LSU is right there along with Bama.

5. Go to OU! That would help shake Jase McClellan loose. Of course other schools would then pursue Jase harder. I do not see Evans going to OU under any circumstance. I just can't see it.

6. There's some feeling at North Shore that these prospects don't want to play with the Duncanville kids. I'm not sure how widely held that belief is, but, "these kids would be unstoppable together, they should want to play together."

7. The package deal with Damieon George is still possible. They have a lot of overlap here, though George didn't list LSU to me recently. Again, that was odd possibly these two playing games.

8. When we tell you guys to focus on other recruits, as we did recently at running back, your expectations should drop quite a bit. Texas is in good shape for Bijan Robinson and still has a chance to flip Jase McClellan. Both will OV and both are RB1's. I'm confident Texas will land an RB1.

9. This will be a wake-up call for the staff, assuming they still want on this ride. If they start offering some more OL it could be a tell.

10. This isn't the one to get too worked up over, but feel free if that's your style.

image.png

Edited by satyanash

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
6 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:
Evans sounds like another Texas 5* rb that spurned Texas to win a title. Texas won a title. That 5* rb did not. 

But if you told him that he'd say I was 3 years old, that a million years ago.

I wasn't saying you tell him that. Just that this circus has happened before. 

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: Texas misses the cut for Zach Evans

Reveal hidden contents

Got off the phone with someone dialed into North Shore pretty good. Here's what I've learned from that conversation and many others over the last year.

A post of mine from the Prospect Board. Top five in order of confidence of making it: Bama, Georgia, LSU

Not so sure: Ole Miss, Ohio State, Tennessee, Texas, OU

1. I don't give this top-five as much credence as I give others. Why? Well, I mean, he's been pretty indecisive in the recent past with visits. It's been reported he intends to visit Ole Miss soon and they didn't make the cut. His cousin is former Manvel running back and current Rebel D'Vaughn Pennamon

2. The source today said it wouldn't surprise him if Evans didn't list Texas "and it also wouldn't surprise me if he signed with Texas."

3. "In my opinion, Texas hurt itself by not seeing him as much as other schools." It isn't my opinion, it's a fact that not all schools observe the amount of visits allowed during the spring evaluation period. That genuinely hurt Texas.

4. As recently as two weeks ago I heard OU was outside of the top-five and LSU wasn't spoken very highly of. I don't see him at OU but the LSU news was surprising. This is more like it and I think LSU is right there along with Bama.

5. Go to OU! That would help shake Jase McClellan loose. Of course other schools would then pursue Jase harder. I do not see Evans going to OU under any circumstance. I just can't see it.

6. There's some feeling at North Shore that these prospects don't want to play with the Duncanville kids. I'm not sure how widely held that belief is, but, "these kids would be unstoppable together, they should want to play together."

7. The package deal with Damieon George is still possible. They have a lot of overlap here, though George didn't list LSU to me recently. Again, that was odd possibly these two playing games.

8. When we tell you guys to focus on other recruits, as we did recently at running back, your expectations should drop quite a bit. Texas is in good shape for Bijan Robinson and still has a chance to flip Jase McClellan. Both will OV and both are RB1's. I'm confident Texas will land an RB1.

9. This will be a wake-up call for the staff, assuming they still want on this ride. If they start offering some more OL it could be a tell.

10. This isn't the one to get too worked up over, but feel free if that's your style.

You bolded the wrong portion.

3. "In my opinion Texas hurt itself by not seeing him as much as other schools." It isn't my opinion, it's a fact that not all schools observe the amount of visits allowed during the spring evaluation period. That genuinely hurt Texas. 

• Like 1

Just now, satyanash said:

I bolded the part Texas could have done something about... We can't control the behaviour of other schools recruiting Evans, only our own.

No, you missed the point.

We (allegedly) followed the rules in terms of the number of visits we can make to North Shore.

Other schools didn't (allegedly).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

No, you missed the point.

We (allegedly) followed the rules in terms of the number of visits we can make to North Shore.

Other schools didn't (allegedly).

satya gets very open about wanting us to "play the game" more every time we miss a guy and the UGA/LSU/Oregon's of the world are on the list instead

Edited by texifornia