Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

I get letting these kids take their time.  It's also a double edged sword because every program knew we led for Broughton, Lindberg, Robinson.  When they go on their visits, every school negative recruits the school that's in the lead.  These kids hear the same thing 2, 3, 4 times and they start to believe it.  Now it seems like Broughton has basically eliminated us and LSU because of the 3-4 scheme.  Princely isn't even that fucking good.  We should have pushed him to commit months ago or told him his spot is gone.  He would have committed to Texas.  Same with Lindberg.  He needs to find the right balance of not pressuring kids while also not shooting himself in the dick which he's really good at doing.  

24 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

To be fair, if the staff turns a 10-win season and sugar bowl victory into a significantly worse class than the previous two years, I’m going to blame them too.

Well I know the Herm would say 10 wins is 10 wins and the margins don't matter but the conservative play calling once a lead was obtained and prevent leak-like-a-sieve defenses sure didn't help the perception of domination and all too often ended up in nail biting endings. Leaving 3 on the line and dropping everyone else in coverage with maybe a spy LB gave opposing QB's all day to find a receiver downfield or dump off to an outlet in space for chunk yardage.

Edited by sith_horn

5 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Nahlin also said today that Herman might have fucked himself with his “take your time” approach to recruiting and not building momentum/have enough commits at these camps to help recruit kids. Seems like he’s setting up his followers for a strike out on Broughton, Robinson etc. 

All of this talk about Herman being a first time, 3rd year head coach has been centered on culture building within the program. What has not been considered is how he deals with putting together this class and sustaining recruiting success. It's seems clear to me that this will be a down year for recruiting, but what he learns from this will need to be tangible in the '21 and '22 class

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

All of this talk about Herman being a first time, 3rd year head coach has been centered on culture building within the program. What has not been considered is how he deals with putting together this class and sustaining recruiting success. It's seems clear to me that this will be a down year for recruiting, but what he learns from this will need to be tangible in the '21 and '22 class

We got our asses kicked last year with in-state recruiting.  This is the 2nd year is a row that the same is happening.  He clearly didn't learn from last year and kept the dead weight on staff.  The 10 wins validated the process in his head so I'm sure he feels that changes don't need to be made.  You'll never see Saban or Belichick manage their staff this way.  Those guys can win at the highest level and will still cut staff because they can see the red flags before disaster happens. 

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

We got our asses kicked last year with in-state recruiting.  This is the 2nd year is a row that the same is happening.  He clearly didn't learn from last year and kept the dead weight on staff.  The 10 wins validated the process in his head so I'm sure he feels that changes don't need to be made.  You'll never see Saban or Belichick manage their staff this way.  Those guys can win at the highest level and will still cut staff because they can see the red flags before disaster happens. 

We got porked in state but still pulled in a top 3 class. This is not a top 3 class. 

Just now, victory88 said:

We got our asses kicked last year with in-state recruiting.  This is the 2nd year is a row that the same is happening.  He clearly didn't learn from last year and kept the dead weight on staff.  The 10 wins and several major OOS recruiting victories that offset almost all of the in-state issues validated the process in his head so I'm sure he feels that changes don't need to be made.  You'll never see Saban or Belichick manage their staff this way.  Those guys can win at the highest level and will still cut staff because they can see the red flags before disaster happens.  

fify

We did end up with a higher-rated class (mildly tarnished by Bru turning out to be a huge diva)

17 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Nahlin also said today that Herman might have fucked himself with his “take your time” approach to recruiting and not building momentum/have enough commits at these camps to help recruit kids. Seems like he’s setting up his followers for a strike out on Broughton, Robinson etc. 

Lindberg, Collins and Broughton come to mind. 

Edited by Newy25

18 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I get letting these kids take their time.  It's also a double edged sword because every program knew we led for Broughton, Lindberg, Robinson.  When they go on their visits, every school negative recruits the school that's in the lead.  These kids hear the same thing 2, 3, 4 times and they start to believe it.  Now it seems like Broughton has basically eliminated us and LSU because of the 3-4 scheme.  Princely isn't even that fucking good.  We should have pushed him to commit months ago or told him his spot is gone.  He would have committed to Texas.  Same with Lindberg.  He needs to find the right balance of not pressuring kids while also not shooting himself in the dick which he's really good at doing.  

So somewhere between Mack Brown recruiting and Charlie Strong recruiting then.

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

So Texas is probably taking a small class after all 

We were always going to take a small 2020 class because the in state talent for 2021 is off the charts. And we're leading for a ton of those guys, so Tom made the decision to back off on a bunch of 2020 targets to save the scholarships for 2021. The only other explanation is that several of our coaches are getting their asses handed to them in recruiting by guys named Jimbo and Chad and a fishing pole. But Tom Herman is in MENSA so that can't be happening. 

• Like 1

How will this recruiting class look at 4pm on October 12th when Texas is still undefeated, a&m is 2-3 on their by week and preparing to host the Tide, and LSU is knee deep in an NCAA recruiting investigation? 

Enough with the sandy vaginas. The sky is not falling.  At least wait until we lose to LaTech. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Nahlin's being super snippy and contrarian with his posters today.

Mike Roach picked a good day to go on vacation.

The other boards are all tranquil right now because nothing has actually happened today.

What triggered the meltdown on IT (which is now seeping here) is the idea that Bryson Washington might choose OU next week.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The other boards are all tranquil right now because nothing has actually happened today.

What triggered the meltdown on IT (which is now seeping here) is the idea that Bryson Washington might choose OU next week.

Are you referring to this comment? If so, Nahlin was being moody before that.

image.png

Just now, satyanash said:

Are you referring to this comment? If so, Nahlin was being moody before that.

image.png

There was an earlier comment about Washington.

Lincoln Riley sent out his silent commit tweet and people speculated it might be Washington (Based on what, I don't know).

If Broughton is indeed aggy bound, then the best case we are looking at IMO is Collins-Umanmielen-Fillinger.  Fillinger looks like he has more upside than Umanmielen and should be ranked about where he is ( low 9100's composite ).  I guess Umanmielen would be the zero tech/NG of those 3??  Not seeing it with OO and JLR.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'd be for it instead of reaching if we miss out on guys.  Aren't we sitting at only 17 current spots anyways??

Here's my pessimistic (or realistic?) view of where we're at right now, with keeping the class small as to not fill up too much of the roster with reaches 

QB- Card, Jackson
RB-¯\_(ツ)_/¯
WR- Johnston,¯\_(ツ)_/¯, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OL- Garth, Majors, Parr, Lindberg, Karic
DL- Collins, Logan-Redding,¯\_(ツ)_/¯
B- Dorbah
ATH- Hullaby
CB- Crawford, Rogers
S- Thompson Jr,¯\_(ツ)_/¯
LB-¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

The reverberations from the Georgia win have been underwhelming as fuck. I thought that win was a game changer. Instead a top recruit has mocked the win and others seem to view it as an afterthought.

One year doesn't erase the rest of this decade. These kids grew up watching a mediocre or worse Texas.

• Like 1

Just now, thepop said:

One year doesn't erase the rest of this decade. These kids grew up watching a mediocre or worse Texas.

Yeah but there's a whole new thread on the Football board for another airing of the '05 Rose Bowl last night on LHN so THERE

Edited by texifornia

Here's my pessimistic (or realistic?) view of where we're at right now, with keeping the class small as to not fill up too much of the roster with reaches 
QB- Card, Jackson
RB-¯\_(ツ)_/¯
B- Dorbah
ATH- Hullaby
CB- Crawford, Rogers
S- Thompson Jr,¯\_(ツ)_/¯
LB-¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ guy is versatile as fuck! He’s all over the field!
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

QB- Card, Jackson
RB-¯\_(ツ)_/¯
B- Dorbah
ATH- Hullaby
CB- Crawford, Rogers
S- Thompson Jr,¯\_(ツ)_/¯
LB-¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ at RB and LB concern me the most.

• Like 1