Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

IT

UNDER ARMOUR PRIME 21 CAMP

Per my truck, temperatures reached 109 degrees at the camp held Saturday at Arlington Martin but that didn't slow down competition.

UA brought Deion Sanders and his Prime 21 crew to showcase some of the top 2020 and 2021 prospects from Texas, California, Florida, Mississippi, and Louisiana. They also had some special guest coaches including current Longhorns and former UA All-Americans - BJ Foster, PJ Locke, and D'Shawn Jamison.

Foster got down and dirty in the drills. Locke made sure he got a picture with Emmitt Smith and/or Ken Griffey Jr. And Jamison treated it like social hour. He also looks fabulous at 190 pounds.

Fort Bend Austin's Troy Omeire is a perfect example of a player developing throughout the off-season as you can see improvement from camp to camp. Omeire looks better every time I see him. 6-foot-3.5, 205 pounds, with great hands. The junior wideout was most impressive in-and-out of routes, catching the ball away from his body, and high-pointing the deep throws. 

Omeire is one of the few 2020 instate players who holds an offer .

“I've just been talking to coach Meekins,” Omeire said. "He calls me a lot, and we have good talks. I'm looking at visiting Austin again with my mom. The receiving corp is nice there. Some of those guys I know and have played around."

He talked about his recent visit to College Station, and said right now that A&M leads with Texas a close second. The key here is his mom wants to see UT again, but on a weekend trip, not just a Junior Day. She wants Troy to get the full visit experience. They're looking for a family atmosphere and we know what they offer on the 40. 

West Mesquite’s Ty Jordan is another name to remember. If Texas takes two tailbacks in 2020, Jordan might be the ideal counterpart to Zach Evans. He broke down the recruiting process and UT.

“It's been going good, better than I thought,” said Jordan. "I went from nobody liking me, no offers, then I jumped up and coaches started calling." Schools like Utah, Boston College, Illinois, and Syracuse. But two schools have picked up the pace. 

"I'm hearing a lot from Texas and TCU," Jordan said. "I went up to Austin for Junior Day and I just loved it. Loved the family atmosphere, the coaches are fun, players are chill, liked the stadium, the energy. The fans are crazy, in a good way. I met coach Drayton at a Texas Southern satellite camp. He was coaching me up. We already have a strong connection. We're very relatable."

He'll hit Texas for the recruiting event on July 27th. At 5-foot-8, 185 pounds, and reported 4.35 (40), the sturdy and compact ball-carrier isn't a secret in the recruiting world any longer. Once recruiters put his track times with his build, it was only a matter of when, not if, his stock would rise. Jordan's best time this season was 10.67 in the 100. That's exceptionally fast for a sophomore.

Then there’s Austin High QB Malik Hornsby, who no-showed to the event. There seems to be some uneasiness with the direction of this recruitment, according to a couple sources. It's not just from UT’s standpoint, but Texas A&M as well. The 2020 signal-caller blew up in the last five months, but as his offer list increased, so did his entourage.

It's still early, which is the best way to say don't worry right now.

As we all know, Texas has been targeting players from California, including defensive backs. Another name to know with is Clark Phillips, a 5-foot-10, 170-pound 4-star corner from La Habra high school.

“I had a ball,” Phillips said. “Just competing against the best and showing off what God has blessed me with. And dominating receivers was fun also.”

The Prime 21 camp Defensive MVP has soaked in the atmosphere and experience that is part and parcel with being a highly regarded four-star recruit (.9735 composite).

“I have 19 offers so far and I have taken some trips this Spring,” said Phillips. "Definitely looking to see a couple games this year.”

One school that Phillips mentioned as must-see out of the blue: Texas.

“I got family in Texas too. Dallas, Sugarland, Katy, and Houston. I'd love to visit." (gets the ladder out of the garage)

[He followed Eric on Twitter and then told him he liked Texas as well, so he's probably not fishing for an offer]

Newly offered Mater Dei cornerback Elias Ricks is the truth. He's easily one of the top corners in the nation and his 6-foot-3 height is crazy when he flips his hips like someone 5-foot-9. He's also unimpressed with 7-on-7 and is ready for the realness.

He tweeted: "7v7 over now, it's time for pads." That's honesty I like. 

[Ricks told Eric he has family in Dallas but at this time does not have visit plans]

About July 27th... that date looms large as it’ll be UT’s last summer recruiting event until two-a-days crank up in early August. Here's a too-early list of expected attendees in two weeks. 

Roschon Johnson (TEXAS) -- 2019 QB
Jaylen Garth -- 2020 OL
Noa Pola Gates -- 2019 S from Arizona
David Gbenda -- 2019 LB
Zach Evans (hard maybe) -- 2020 RB, as if you don't know
Javonne Shepherd (decent maybe) -- 2019 OL
Jake Smith (TEXAS) -- 2019 WR
Jared Wiley (TEXAS) -- 2019 TE
Lorando Johnson -- 2020 DB
Ty Jordan -- 2020 RB
Jaxon Smith-Njigba -- 2020 WR
Jalen Kimber -- 2020 CB
Myles Price -- 2020 RB
Landyn Watson -- 2021 LB/DE
Darius Snow (soft maybe) -- 2020 S/LB

Wild guess at the next Texas offer: 2020 GP North Shore offensive lineman Damien George.

I’m hearing former C.E. King defensive back, Bryson Washington, who is ranked as the No. 3 overall safety for 2020 by 247, could end up at GP North Shore too. I have a feeling he’s going to college where Zach Evans is going as well. There's a strong bond there. 

Wild guess at the next Texas commitment: Jaylen Garth. The 6-foot-5, 300-pound offensive guard/tackle from Port Neches-Groves already has some impressive suitors - Nebraska, Ohio State, Texas A&M - and is visiting the ATX in less than two weeks with his quarterback, Roschon Johnson. 

rom: Joe Cook

At the Prime 21 camp at Arlington Martin on Saturday, Hall of Fame rushers Emmitt Smith and LaDainian Tomlinson were on hand to help Deion Sanders run his skill position camp. Toward the end, five-star 2020 North Shore running back Zachary Evans made sure to get a picture with Smith and Sanders.

With how he performed at the camp, it almost seemed like Smith and Sanders wanted to be in a picture with Evans.

Evans dominated the camp, performing well out of the backfield and earning running back MVP honors. None of the linebackers or secondary players there could cover him, and Evans made sure to let his competition know, yelling out that no one there could guard him on multiple occasions.

“Knowing me, I’m going to do what I’ve got to do,” Evans said Saturday. “I ain’t worried about who is going against me. Anybody can get the work. It is what it is.”

Prior to Saturdays’ camp, Evans told Inside Texas he visited Alabama and LSU for camp visits, as well as Auburn. Evans said he planned on visiting Texas following the dead period and received an invitation to Texas’ July 27th recruiting event. He did not say whether he would or would not make it to Austin for the event.

As a five-star rusher, he knows wherever he goes will give him the chance to see the field early. Evans wants it to be known he will be able to make the most of that opportunity, and is confident he will be receiving carries early in his career.

“I will outwork anybody that’s in my way,” Evans said.

Texas made Evans’ recently released top 25 (yeah, we know) that included Baylor, Houston, and Texas A&M. His next step is to trim the list to 10 prior to the season opener versus Katy on August 31st.

From Nahlin:

THE 2020 JAVONNE SHEPHERD

Zach Evans gets most of the publicity at North Shore, and deservedly so, but Texas is also very interested in mammoth offensive tackle Damieon George. We mentioned George back in the Spring as someone who would blow up, and with offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Ohio State, etc., that happened.

He's currently rated an .88, but much like with Javonne Shepherd, that's because they rated tape, not traits and projection. In fact, at 6-foot-6, 320 pounds, Shepherd is an apt comparison for George.

Texas looks to be in good shape for Chad Lindberg and in great shape for Jaylen Garth, but expect the hard working George to emerge as a priority.

Many will wonder if he and Evans have any effect on each other. As of now I here they're two entirely different kids with George more reserved and laid back. Also similar to Shepherd, showing him a little love goes a long way.

I'm working on a larger piece on 2020 offensive line recruiting. Probably for early next week.

35 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Footwork King is bringing Shepherd next weekend so hopefully Demas tags along.

Also TFLoss says Evans told Rivals he's coming next weekend 

Evans seems to have frequent ride problems; no showed Texas once, A&M about four times, and even the Opening because of it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Evans seems to have frequent ride problems; no showed Texas once, A&M about four times, and even the Opening because of it 

I blame the Houston surly contingent for never having its shit together and spending an inordinate amount of time eating pork chops in the woodlands. 

29 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Aggie friend:  Isn't he old enough to drive his new F-250 King Ranch/Red McCombs edition himself?

That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works. You don’t give a guy the trophy and then hope he picks you. The trophies are given out after the game is over. 

Not to say you can’t quietly give out a LOT of gas money for their time and troubles. 

TFB note on Bryson Washington: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-weekend-july-20th-22nd/

– Also caught up with 2020 defensive back Bryson Washington (C.E.King, Houston, TX) briefly and he let me know that he will be visiting Austin on the 27th for an unofficial visit. Washington played last season at Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) and has been picking up offers from across the country recently which includes an offer from Texas. Washington will make the trip to Austin on the 27th and follow that up with a trip to Norman to see the Sooners for their BBQ.

While he has ties to Darion Green-Warren, the recent OU commit out of Mater Dei, he has told me that Texas was one of his top schools. After doing a little digging from other sources, I would be inclined to say that Texas is his top school and his visit to campus will be very helpful in putting some separation between UT and several other schools for the talented junior defender.

So getting my bearings on early in-State DB recruiting

Washington and Thompson appear to be top targets at safety 

Snow is a future linebacker who you'll have to recruit like a safety, similar to the Overshown recruitment except you won't be able to mention a future spin down in the sell 

McGlothern and Jones are currently listed as corners, but there's been some talk that some college coaches think they'll end up growing out of the position and moving inside to safety or nickel 

The staff supposedly likes Kelvontay Dixon (Ingram's brother), but I have no idea where he fits in the defensive backfield

Lorando Johnson could be an option at corner 

Edited by Fud
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

Snow is a future linebacker who you'll have to recruit like a safety, similar to the Overshown recruitment except you won't be able to mention a future spin down in the sell 

McGlothern and Jones are currently listed as corners, but there's been some talk that some college coaches think they'll end up growing out of the position and moving inside to safety or nickel 

The staff supposedly likes Kelvontay Dixon (Ingram's brother), but I have no idea where he fits in the defensive backfield

Don't forget the CB in Arizona that plays for Bryant Westbrook.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

So, priority targets at each position:

QB: Card (commit), Bryce Young, Hornsby (?)

RB: Evans, Cooper (more of an APB)

WR: Demas, Omeire

OL: Garth, Lindberg

DL: Dorbah

LB: Flowe (don't know how realistic this one is)

DB: Ringo (also unsure on realistic chances), Washington, Jones, McGlothern, Thompson, Snow

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

So, priority targets at each position:

QB: Card (commit), Bryce Young, Hornsby (?)

RB: Evans, Cooper (more of an APB)

WR: Demas, Omeire

OL: Garth, Lindberg

DL: Dorbah

LB: Flowe (don't know how realistic this one is)

DB: Ringo (also unsure on realistic chances), Washington, Jones, McGlothern, Thompson, Snow

I'd add Broughton to the DL.  Thinking we'll eventually offer Bryant, Wright, and Sylvester???

Potential visitors next weekend per IT:

Zach Evans, RB - GP North Shore (2020): The top dog in the class of 2020 wolfpack is looking at a return trip to Austin. Evans recently competed at the Prime 21 camp in Arlington, and there wasn't a person in attendance that could stay with him. Evans' swagger is growing as he continues to turn the football field into a mockery, but he's also one of the hardest working players you'll find. NFL mind and NFL grind, imo.

Lorando Johnson, DB - Lancaster (2020): At 6-foot-1, Johnson is the latest stud to come out of Chris Gilbert's program. Plus+ level athlete with a little dog to his game. Texas looks nice here early, plus he was at last year's event.
Ty Jordan, RB - West Mesquite (2020): At 5-foot-9, 185, this mighty mite showed nice burst and explosiveness at the Prime 21 camp last weekend. He really likes Texas and running backs coach Stan Drayton. You want him if he's Evans' backfield mate. Mookie Cooper (St. Louis) is more desirable, to be honest. But 4.35 is 4.35.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR - Rockwall (2020): Since his freshman year he has quietly put up nice numbers at Chris Warren's alma mater. I think he's probably in the 2nd or 3rd tier of in-state receivers for 2020 but he's about as smooth as they come.

Jalen Kimber, CB - Mansfield Timberview (2020): The 6-foot-0 defensive back is a name to remember. They obviously can't wait to put eyes on him at camp.

Myles Price, ATH - The Colony (2020): The multi-purpose Price is set to visit UT next week. At 5-foot-9, he might be a corner or an all-purpose back. He was named the District 14-5A two-way player of the year as a sophomore. TCU is the early front-runner.

Darius Snow, S - Lewisville Hebron (2020) (soft maybe): Texas looks grand here. He's at 218 pounds now and still determined to be a safety at the next level. There was only one Sean Taylor, Darius.

Jaylon Jones, DB - Cibolo Steele (2020): This cat is just nasty. Press, zone, or flipping his hips, he could be the top corner in Texas or one of the best safeties in-state. Just get his signature and figure out the rest when he arrives on the 40 Acres. One college coach told me he might outgrow the corner spot. I'll wait and see.

Bryson Washington, DB - C.E. King (2020): There was talk Washington, who is close with North Shore stud Zach Evans, might end up in Galena Park after moving back to the Lone Star state. It looks he'll return to C.E. King for the next two seasons. He's one of the top defensive backs in the nation (No. 3 in 247) and likes Texas.

On 7/20/2018 at 3:17 PM, TrojanPrincess said:

Going to be difficult to beat out USC on this one.  

It is going to be interesting to watch how the Helton regime unfolds, and how that impacts USC recruiting. Like Texas, USC is just simply going to get some guys, even when they’re disappointing or flat out suck. Looking at the rosters from the 90’s always clearly illustrates that for both clubs, if anyone ever has doubt. 

But here we are.  USC has resurged, even if the national excitement and hype aren’t quite there. They look like a top 10 program and when that is the case, SC gets who they want in SoCal. Right? Right. 

Word is, and this will never come from USC circles, that the players and recruits don’t just love Helton and his staff (besides Martin). If he stumbles, and the scuttlebutt on Helton is true, does USC just get all the guys they plan to take in a given year?

I don’t know, but my thinking is informed by someone who runs camps and has spent time recently on the west coast. I’d like to hear a nonemotional opinion on this if that’s possible.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It is going to be interesting to watch how the Helton regime unfolds, and how that impacts USC recruiting. Like Texas, USC is just simply going to get some guys, even when they’re disappointing or flat out suck. Looking at the rosters from the 90’s always clearly illustrates that for both clubs, if anyone ever has doubt. 

But here we are.  USC has resurged, even if the national excitement and hype aren’t quite there. They look like a top 10 program and when that is the case, SC gets who they want in SoCal. Right? Right. 

Word is, and this will never come from USC circles, that the players and recruits don’t just love Helton and his staff (besides Martin). If he stumbles, and the scuttlebutt on Helton is true, does USC just get all the guys they plan to take in a given year?

I don’t know, but my thinking is informed by someone who runs camps and has spent time recently on the west coast. I’d like to hear a nonemotional opinion on this if that’s possible.

That's bullshit, plain and simple.  Clay may not be the best coach in the country, but one thing for sure, the players, their family and recruits love the man, there are countless videos, interviews of players that voluntarily bring up Clay and how much they love him as a father figure.  They call him a players coach.  He closes about as well as Pete did.  

There will always be a few over the years who may not love him,  but they are few and far between...Pitman's dad complaining about his son's playing time, even though he has been out due to injury?

I've actually been around these kids, tailgate with their parents, attend all the football functions open to fans, and I have a friend who is the publisher of a  USC recruiting site (NOT Rivals) with deep ties to the program, kids and the parents trust him.  Scott held on to a video since mid October last year of Chris Steele stating he was committing to USC.

https://trojaninsider.com/s/616/chris-steele-shares-why-he-committed-to-usc

Here is one video I can share that is not premium, two players talking about Coach Helton and what he means to them.

https://trojaninsider.com/s/436/bolden-jones-talk-spring-ball-friendship-more

Don't know what you're talking about, nothing like what you claim stays quiet within USC circles. Your "source" sucks.

By the way, Ricks, Bru and others are part of a USC group text. 

7 hours ago, TrojanPrincess said:

That's bullshit, plain and simple.  Clay may not be the best coach in the country, but one thing for sure, the players, their family and recruits love the man, there are countless videos, interviews of players that voluntarily bring up Clay and how much they love him as a father figure.  They call him a players coach.  He closes about as well as Pete did.  

There will always be a few over the years who may not love him,  but they are few and far between...Pitman's dad complaining about his son's playing time, even though he has been out due to injury?

I've actually been around these kids, tailgate with their parents, attend all the football functions open to fans, and I have a friend who is the publisher of a  USC recruiting site (NOT Rivals) with deep ties to the program, kids and the parents trust him.  Scott held on to a video since mid October last year of Chris Steele stating he was committing to USC.

Here is one video I can share that is not premium, two players talking about Coach Helton and what he means to them.

Don't know what you're talking about, nothing like what you claim stays quiet within USC circles. Your "source" sucks.

It’s personal for you, clearly. That is the most longhorngirlie response to anything on any board I have ever read since leaving Hornfans. I feel like I just conducted a fucking seance. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Did Frenzy have some posts on this from the aggy boards?  I must have missed it.

Yeah, it was one of the 247 mods I think - one of the posters was talking like Hornsby was a layup for aggy and he said not so fast, there's some people around him that were making things difficult for everyone.

This is hilariously homeriffic. Well done.