Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, Fud said:

What seemed like the few reasonable auburn posters didn't like losing Hand and had reasons for the high sack total, including Stidham having zero internal passing clock and the design of the offense risking sacks to go vertical frequently, and they appear to be vindicated 

Yes, Auburn's adjusted allowed sack rate last year was 98th and it was a valid reason to have some reservations about Hand.

This year with Hand gone it has actually gotten worse and stands at 106th right now. Sometimes the reasons for optimism regarding position coaching hires in terms of the talent they're working with and the overall scheme they've been forced to work within actually work out in our benefit. It's not often, so it's nice when it seems to be happening.

On the flip side the Texas rank has gone from 80th last year to 31st so far this year. QB improvement has a lot to do with it but the point remains, sometimes position coaches can be significantly affected by things outside their control.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

On the flip side the Texas rank has gone from 80th last year to 31st so far this year. QB improvement has a lot to do with it but the point remains, sometimes position coaches can be significantly affected by things outside their control.

QB improvement has been largely due to the OL.

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Same. Any OC's out there that would fit our system, and not suck?

Dream scenario would be kingsbury  coming in and having him and Tom mash together. Tech would need to implode tho and it looks like they got a shot 8 win season. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, Auburn's adjusted allowed sack rate last year was 98th and it was a valid reason to have some reservations about Hand.

This year with Hand gone it has actually gotten worse and stands at 106th right now. Sometimes the reasons for optimism regarding position coaching hires in terms of the talent they're working with and the overall scheme they've been forced to work within actually work out in our benefit. It's not often, so it's nice when it seems to be happening.

That's a lot of words to say stats mean dick all when judging an oline position coach.

The only way you can judge Hand is with your eyes and your experience/knowledge of oline play.

6 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Same. Any OC's out there that would fit our system, and not suck?

The obvious pick is Phil Longo. It's a shame he wasnt the pick two years ago when he was already an obvious star on the rise. 

I also still see and hear good things about Brian Wright at Toledo.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 11:31 PM, closetojumping said:

It is going to be interesting to watch how the Helton regime unfolds, and how that impacts USC recruiting. Like Texas, USC is just simply going to get some guys, even when they’re disappointing or flat out suck. Looking at the rosters from the 90’s always clearly illustrates that for both clubs, if anyone ever has doubt. 

But here we are.  USC has resurged, even if the national excitement and hype aren’t quite there. They look like a top 10 program and when that is the case, SC gets who they want in SoCal. Right? Right. 

Word is, and this will never come from USC circles, that the players and recruits don’t just love Helton and his staff (besides Martin). If he stumbles, and the scuttlebutt on Helton is true, does USC just get all the guys they plan to take in a given year?

I don’t know, but my thinking is informed by someone who runs camps and has spent time recently on the west coast. I’d like to hear a nonemotional opinion on this if that’s possible.

On 7/22/2018 at 1:21 AM, TrojanPrincess said:

That's bullshit, plain and simple.  Clay may not be the best coach in the country, but one thing for sure, the players, their family and recruits love the man, there are countless videos, interviews of players that voluntarily bring up Clay and how much they love him as a father figure.  They call him a players coach.  He closes about as well as Pete did.  

There will always be a few over the years who may not love him,  but they are few and far between...Pitman's dad complaining about his son's playing time, even though he has been out due to injury?

I've actually been around these kids, tailgate with their parents, attend all the football functions open to fans, and I have a friend who is the publisher of a  USC recruiting site (NOT Rivals) with deep ties to the program, kids and the parents trust him.  Scott held on to a video since mid October last year of Chris Steele stating he was committing to USC.

https://trojaninsider.com/s/616/chris-steele-shares-why-he-committed-to-usc

Here is one video I can share that is not premium, two players talking about Coach Helton and what he means to them.

https://trojaninsider.com/s/436/bolden-jones-talk-spring-ball-friendship-more

Don't know what you're talking about, nothing like what you claim stays quiet within USC circles. Your "source" sucks.

By the way, Ricks, Bru and others are part of a USC group text. 

On 7/22/2018 at 9:05 AM, closetojumping said:

It’s personal for you, clearly. That is the most longhorngirlie response to anything on any board I have ever read since leaving Hornfans. I feel like I just conducted a fucking seance. 

Yeah. Those recruits just love Clay Helton.

• Like 2

IT recruiting notes

STATE OF RECRUITING 

“It’s not materializing in commitments just yet but it is indicative of interest even committed guys have in Texas right now.” 

That eloquently summarizes Texas football recruiting in the last month. The rational fan realizes a 6-1 start (1st in the Big 12) and No. 7 national ranking heading into the bye week doesn't instantly produce commitments if you're being highly selective. The start strengthens the bridge that is being built in UT's Class of 2019. While the win streak helps solidify what the Horns have already gathered, an almost equally important facet of the recruiting game, it also has kids going through their phones looking for phone the numbers of Derek Chang and Bryan Carrington - the linchpins of Texas Recruiting.

These prospects have all reached out to the Longhorns recently --

Marcus Banks (CB): The one-time Texas lean committed to LSU last summer. Now he's looking at Alabama and Texas A&M. With KW2 and Caldwell in the bag, there's no reason to make room. Banks had his shot.

Marcel Brooks (LB): Eric and I have been debating who the best player is in Texas for the 2019 cycle. From a potential/high end upside standpoint, it's probably Brooks. He's simply dynamic at a must-have position. But Brooks has a lot of baggage and question marks. The LSU pledge is not a take. (Someone will ask for details but that's Happy Hour material)

Kennedy Lewis (WR): Despite potential upcoming visits to Notre Dame and Florida, I like UT's chances with the former TCU commit, Lewis, who might wait until Nov/Dec to announce his intentions. This could get iffy depending on what happens with Elijah Higgins. Numbers are getting a little tight.

Chris Steele (DB): The five-star corner from California who repeatedly talked up UT behind the scenes for quite some time de-committed from USC this week. He, like Banks, had his chance. Would UT still entertain a visit to the ATX? Yes, but on their terms.

Bobby Wolfe (DB): The A&M pledge is looking around and might've butt-dialed the Texas staff by accident. A dozen times. Highly, highly unlikely.

Noah Cain (RB): The five-star running back from the IMG Academy via Denton Guyer has set up his official visit to Austin (11/3) when the Horns host West Virginia. While LSU looks like the team to beat, the Tigers have found itself in the precarious position of taking so many kids so early in the cycle. I'm told they are in the middle of a numbers crunch and have to be judicious down the stretch just to have room for guys they should've saved spots for. Texas has played it cool with him and five-star teammate Trey Sanders.

While you've seen most sites beat the "Sanders to Texas" drum rather loudly, I'm here to temper expectations.

Overall, Texas is still interested in some, others not so much. The start to the season has the UT staff in the enviable position of having leverage.

Quick Note: Trinity Catholic (St. Louis, MO) four-star WR Marcus Washington announces his future destination a week from today. With Ohio State, Florida, and Missouri all throwing their collective hats in the Washington sweepstakes, we feel confident Texas is the team to beat.

One thing Texas has going for it is the McCombs Business School. Washington wants to major in business and knows the prestige of UT's business school.

COACHES ON THE ROAD

Herb Hand- Katy Taylor/Mayde Creek: The OL taskmaster will see TCU commit Andrew Coker and get a peek at Marcus Stripling. Hand will also swing by Dulles to see 2019 offensive tackle Isaiah Hookfin.

Stan Drayton - North Shore/Sterling: If you think there's any tailback in the state not named Zach Evans that coach Drayton will be watching on Friday, welcome to the site. On Thursday, Drayton went by Mesquite Poteet to check in on Seth McGowan. No offer was made but they have real interest, especially in another two running back class.

Corby Meekins - Clear Creek/Clear Lake: Coach Meekins will hit one of the best rivalries in all of Houston - Creek/Lake. Being a Clear Creek alum, I can tell you this rivalry spans all sports, plus Chad Lindberg is fun to watch and a key recruit in the 2020 class.

Craig Naivar - Plano East/Plano: Coach Naivar is ready to see his latest pledge, Tyler Owens. The budding safety is big, fast, and playing at a high level in his senior campaign.

Tim Beck - PNG/Dayton: The first member of #fUTure19, Roschon Johnson, gets a visit from his future OC/QB coach. 2020 OL Jaylen Garth and Texas are looking dandy too. Garth is certainly 'press' worthy.

Drew Mehringer - Mater Dei/JSerra: Get you some Cali weather with Bru McCoy and Elias Ricks, coach Mehringer. The McCoy's want to take a return visit for an unofficial. Mehringer should drop some Southwest drink coupons on the ground.

Jason Washington - Grayson/Newton: Coach Washington has Georgia on his mind while he checks out corner commit Kenyatta Watson II. One to watch is Grayson's Kenyon Jackson. The WR and A&M pledge might be more open than people realize. Obviously Texas has options at the position but recruiting is weird.

Derek Warehime - Temple/Ellison: Coach Warehime will check out one of his tight end commits, Jared Wiley, and get a good look at 2020 WR Quentin Johnson, who is slowly blowing up with OU being his latest offer. Could an offer be forthcoming from UT?

Oscar Giles - Many/Lakeview: Coach Giles will see Many DE Myron Warren. The 3-star and recent TCU de-commit seems to be growing on Texas with LSU waiting in the background. This recruitment is pretty simple; LSU offers, he's a Tiger. If not, UT is in the driver's seat.

Tom Herman - Katy Taylor/Mayde Creek, North Shore/Sterling, Clear Creek/Clear Lake: Coach Herman will hit a few games in the Houston area tonight. The main attraction is to see the North Shore Show starring junior RB Zach Evans. Herman isn't missing that episode. He also wants to get a closer look at Andrew Coker (Katy Taylor) and Chad Lindberg (Clear Creek).

1 hour ago, mr. sunshine said:

If I had access to a helicopter I’d only use it to fly to events two or more blocks away 

When I realized you can't jump out if you get shot down, I developed a fear of helicopters. Almost flying into power lines in the fog didn't help much, either.  That being said, being a door-gunner would be pretty cool. Don't think they have those on civilian choppers, though. No rockets, either.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:33 PM, Atticus said:

I thought it was dumb when Rumlin did it, and I think it's dumb now. As long as the kids like it though, it don't make a shit.

Shit Switzer flew his copter onto our field wearing a full length mink coat and we thought it was cool even though the player he wanted eventually ended up at Texas.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

good time tonight. north shore is stacked with speed. their slot receiver was as fast as evans (if not faster). 

herman shook hands with a lot of fans, took some pics with kids and fanboys. 

Shadrach Banks?