Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Soldierhorn said:

That is what was said of 5* John Chiles as well... 

yeah, I'm still waiting.

Jackson might not take to quarterbacking leading to him either switching positions or transferring, I think everyone is aware of that possibility. That said, I don't think he's terribly similar to John Chiles, who Rivals has at 6'1 195 coming out of high school, while Jackson is 6'2 220 the summer before his senior year. 

These aren't really similar prospects. Jackson is more similar to someone like Tebow, or one of the other dozen QBs that Dan Mullen has coached who can actually run inside. 

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

Except Jackson has a cannon and spins the ball, while Heard had a popgun arm and threw ducks, and Jackson can actually run inside because he'll probably play at least in the 230s 

Maybe you'd prefer the comp to J.T. Barrett with a few more pounds (obviously before the injuries at tOSU limited Barrett's mobility)?

In any event, for those clamoring to see Herman develop a more athletic but rawer prospect for multiple years, this is the opportunity.

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Idk about his throwing ability, but anyone who watched JQJ run over, through, and around NS play after play in the state title game despite NS knowing what was coming has to be excited about his prospects in Herman's O.

He also lit up Allen on the ground 

He can pound the ball inside and even hit home runs on inside runs if there's a crease, he can turn the corner, and he'll make guys miss. He's a special runner

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

Idk about his throwing ability, but anyone who watched JQJ run over, through, and around NS play after play in the state title game despite NS knowing what was coming has to be excited about his prospects in Herman's O.

My thoughts exactly. Being big, strong, fast enoughish, having a calm demeanor and being a workhorse, these traits are more valuable than having an NFL arm.

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Maybe you'd prefer the comp to J.T. Barrett with a few more pounds (obviously before the injuries at tOSU limited Barrett's mobility)?

In any event, for those clamoring to see Herman develop a more athletic but rawer prospect for multiple years, this is the opportunity.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out though, because on the one hand he may be able to develop him into a great player, but on the other, he could just be moved pretty quickly to his more natural position, especially given the respective depth at each.

Just now, Katfid54 said:

Don't really have a great comp. Roschon is actually the guy who reminds me of JT Barrett. 

JJ reminds me of Tebow in some ways, although Tebow might have been a better passer at this stage (which is a saying a lot because he wasn't very good) as far as reading the play and knowing where to go with the ball, although JJ has a better arm and throws less knuckleballs. Might be a better runner as well. 

The thing about Jackson is since he's such a good runner and has a big arm that teams will either have to respect deep or risk long easy TD plays (think Cardale), the level of burden of the passing game required for him to get the job done is much lower than for someone like Ehlinger, and that's if he only ever becomes an average passer. If he becomes above average (for college), you're looking at a special game changing trump card dual threat QB.

I'd start him out in a short yardage package, like Florida did early with Tebow; I think he'd be devastating there. And then you can slowly add more to his plate. Maybe he never overtakes Roschon, Card, Stone, etc and he moves to WR/Hback or transfers, but I think there's a decent chance he can stick at QB. 

I don't get the Tebow comparison at all. 

As runners, they're not at all alike, other than that they both run between the tackles.  JQJ is a home run hitter on the ground in ways Tebow never dreamed of.  Tebow and Sam are pretty similar runners, and no one would say JQJ and Sam run the ball similarly. 

If there's someone that JQJ runs like (and this is a pretty unfair comparison to make at this point in his career), JQJ looks like Cam Newton when he's running the football.  From his size, speed, spin move, and juke--that's who he reminds me of.

I have zero recollection of Tebow's passing on his HS film, if I ever saw it in the first place.  JQJ runs the ball on about 80% of the designed pass plays on his highlight tapes, and most of the called routes are bubble screens.  So it's really tough to find someone to compare his passing to.  Maybe Nick Marshall--who was QB for Auburn a few years back?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Tebow and Sam are pretty similar runners, and no one would say JQJ and Sam run the ball similarly. 

Tebow was much faster than Sam; the distance between JQJ and Tebow is smaller than Tebow and Sam. JQJ is a better runner than Tebow was, but I didn't want to use the Cam Newton comp, because Cam was so much better of a passer 

5 hours ago, Fud said:

Per Justin Wells, Jackson might be pushing back his commitment to late June

So are we back to "Justin Wells doesn't know shit?"   Did we ever leave?

Admission:  I don't even know who the fuck Justin Wells is.

Edited by MirrOlure
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, elguapo said:

He was decidedly the best player on the field that day, and that says a lot considering how much talent was in that game.

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I don't get the Tebow comparison at all. 

As runners, they're not at all alike, other than that they both run between the tackles.  JQJ is a home run hitter on the ground in ways Tebow never dreamed of.  Tebow and Sam are pretty similar runners, and no one would say JQJ and Sam run the ball similarly. 

If there's someone that JQJ runs like (and this is a pretty unfair comparison to make at this point in his career), JQJ looks like Cam Newton when he's running the football.  From his size, speed, spin move, and juke--that's who he reminds me of.

I have zero recollection of Tebow's passing on his HS film, if I ever saw it in the first place.  JQJ runs the ball on about 80% of the designed pass plays on his highlight tapes, and most of the called routes are bubble screens.  So it's really tough to find someone to compare his passing to.  Maybe Nick Marshall--who was QB for Auburn a few years back?

From a pure Size and Speed standpoint, Cam is the comp, those other guys you mentioned are/were too small. JQJ as a junior in high school was already the same size that Barret is now. But like Fud said, he’s got a lot of work to do as a passer.

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

Tebow was much faster than Sam; the distance between JQJ and Tebow is smaller than Tebow and Sam.

• JQJ 40 time:  4.61
  • Tebow 40 time: 4.71
  • Sam 40 time: 4.83 (some sources say 4.63 as a "verified" result, but that seems unlikely).

Difference between JQJ and Tebow: .1

Difference between JQJ and Sam: .12

You're correct.  But you're only technically correct.

I think JQJ's a better runner than Sam and that threat along with an improved O'line should overcome the fact he can't throw as good as Sam.  

Sam improved his passing a lot from year 1 to year 2.  

I think this staff can make a hell of a QB out of JQJ. 

edit: + Jackson should get to redshirt.

Edited by Laga4

The nice thing about a Card/Jackson combo is both seem like they could Excel at another position.  

As much as I prefer Jackson for Herman's offense, there's something Leach said about accuracy basically being something you can't teach and he never understood taking guys whose one weakness was accuracy.  I think Card could be elite with accuracy.  I don't know Jackson's passing ability well to say either way.

IT recruiting notes (SIAP)

By: Justin and Eric

This is going to be one of those weeks where we can probably drop mini-Scoop posts for much of the week so here goes.

Cy Ridge (TX) four-star Vernon Broughton and his family made the trip to Fayetteville (AR) over the weekend. Chad Morris and his staff went above and beyond, and really put on a nice official visit. Morris might've offered the whole family. But I'm told that despite the glowing remarks from the family on social media, even the Hogs' staff thinks Texas is the lead dog. Remember, official visits are designed to go well right down to the most minute detail. After a few days the style gives way to substance and recruits are left to weigh what matters most. Vernon will visit Ohio State and LSU officially leaving him one left. I'm not sure who that will go to, it may go unused. His mother is pretty rigid to the July timeline.

John Tyler (TX) four-star Kitan Crawford took an unofficial visit to OU last Friday and Saturday. The Sooners could be in danger of losing DB commit Dontae Manning, so they went in on the recently offered ETX corner. Crawford told me he enjoyed the visit, but was unsure if he's planning a return. He's still set to take his official to Texas on 6/21, and that's not changing. He even reached out to coach Washington following his trip to Norman, and apparently Norman ain't Austin. Still feeling good and thinking a late June, early July commitment is possible.

Highland Park (TX) four-star Prince Dorbah gave us an update on his summer schedule. Dates are tentatively set for USC (6/14) and Texas (6/21), then a 10-day trip to Greece because why not. He'll follow that up with a trip to South Carolina for the Peach Jam basketball tournament. After that is an official to LSU in late July. These dates are subject to change, per Prince. For now, I think UT is still the team to beat and we think he's up to at least 220 pounds. He could announce in August with an outside chance he's blown away later this month and decides to end it. Though, the opportunity to ponder his options while sitting on cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean doesn't exactly offer the incentive to announce earlier.

Salpointe (AZ) four-star Lathan Ransom and his family made the trip and are staying through Monday evening. The thing we hear the most from the Texas perspective is how focused, mature, and straight-laced the Ransoms are handling the recruiting process. Texas and coach Naivar did their part, and getting the group back on campus for his official in two weeks (6/14) will be another opportunity to gain ground.

Ransom's teammate, five-star Bijan Robinson, has his two officials set to Texas and Ohio State. If UT can match the euphoria of his first trip to Austin during Spring game weekend the Horns will only stretch the lead here. We caught up with Robinson on his thoughts going into the summer. He's eager for these trips, but we get the sense he's also ready for a decision. We'd guess August, close to when he begins his senior campaign. More on him later this week.

Another big out-of-state visitor was Calabasas (CA.) five-star wide receiver Johnny Wilson. Wilson doesn't say a whole lot or give away his intentions but we do know Coach Mehringer has been riding his hip like a cover corner the whole time. Wilson heads back to sunny Southern California later today but will return for the huge June 21st visit weekend. Oregon is the primary competition.

Southlake Carroll (TX) three-star Andrej Karic took a secret UOV to Austin and walked away with an offer. Texas has been watching the 6-foot-5, 245-pound offensive tackle since last winter, and stopped by to see him this spring. With 20+ offers including Michigan, Oregon, Auburn, and Florida State among others, Karic has some nice suitors. This might be a clear sign where the staff stands on North Shore's Dameion George, and how they pursue the fourth and possibly a fifth OL takes in 2020's class. Some were surprised Karic got the call over Frisco Reedy OT Nathan Anderson. We got the take of one of the best evaluators and recruiters in the state over who he likes more: "Nathan's bigger right now and I'd say better right now, Andrej's not far behind, though. Nate solid to OU? I think he made an emotional decision on the OU visit." Texas may hold the same exact opinion as this coach but remember it's about what a player looks like in college, not high school. It could be argued that Karic has more growth potential. Karic does not take many visits so to see him out on the road was telling to coaches. I've heard he likes Ole Miss and TCU but Texas can probably make a move with a big push.

Running Back recruiting in 2020 might seem like a drag today but it's quietly picking up. With Robinson taking his OV this month, another name to remember is Aledo's Jase McClellan, the four-star Sooners pledge. We've reported that we feel McClellan is more open behind the scenes and those thoughts were confirmed through sources this weekend. A Robinson/McClellan duo is possible but just landing one is a wild success. We think Texas will get McClellan on campus this summer and that he'll take an official visit this fall.

Josh White is comfortable with his LSU commitment but there's still a bit of indecision. Miami was working on him hard at the Rice Mega Camp this weekend but if anyone flips the four-star Cy Creek linebacker it will be Texas. He's pretty open that he'll take visits and some film study with Todd Orlando in the future wouldn't surprise us. There's still a chance here but the most likely outcome at this time is he sticks with LSU.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT recruiting notes (SIAP)

Reveal hidden contents

By: Justin and Eric

This is going to be one of those weeks where we can probably drop mini-Scoop posts for much of the week so here goes.

Cy Ridge (TX) four-star Vernon Broughton and his family made the trip to Fayetteville (AR) over the weekend. Chad Morris and his staff went above and beyond, and really put on a nice official visit. Morris might've offered the whole family. But I'm told that despite the glowing remarks from the family on social media, even the Hogs' staff thinks Texas is the lead dog. Remember, official visits are designed to go well right down to the most minute detail. After a few days the style gives way to substance and recruits are left to weigh what matters most. Vernon will visit Ohio State and LSU officially leaving him one left. I'm not sure who that will go to, it may go unused. His mother is pretty rigid to the July timeline.

John Tyler (TX) four-star Kitan Crawford took an unofficial visit to OU last Friday and Saturday. The Sooners could be in danger of losing DB commit Dontae Manning, so they went in on the recently offered ETX corner. Crawford told me he enjoyed the visit, but was unsure if he's planning a return. He's still set to take his official to Texas on 6/21, and that's not changing. He even reached out to coach Washington following his trip to Norman, and apparently Norman ain't Austin. Still feeling good and thinking a late June, early July commitment is possible.

Highland Park (TX) four-star Prince Dorbah gave us an update on his summer schedule. Dates are tentatively set for USC (6/14) and Texas (6/21), then a 10-day trip to Greece because why not. He'll follow that up with a trip to South Carolina for the Peach Jam basketball tournament. After that is an official to LSU in late July. These dates are subject to change, per Prince. For now, I think UT is still the team to beat and we think he's up to at least 220 pounds. He could announce in August with an outside chance he's blown away later this month and decides to end it. Though, the opportunity to ponder his options while sitting on cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean doesn't exactly offer the incentive to announce earlier.

Salpointe (AZ) four-star Lathan Ransom and his family made the trip and are staying through Monday evening. The thing we hear the most from the Texas perspective is how focused, mature, and straight-laced the Ransoms are handling the recruiting process. Texas and coach Naivar did their part, and getting the group back on campus for his official in two weeks (6/14) will be another opportunity to gain ground.

Ransom's teammate, five-star Bijan Robinson, has his two officials set to Texas and Ohio State. If UT can match the euphoria of his first trip to Austin during Spring game weekend the Horns will only stretch the lead here. We caught up with Robinson on his thoughts going into the summer. He's eager for these trips, but we get the sense he's also ready for a decision. We'd guess August, close to when he begins his senior campaign. More on him later this week.

Another big out-of-state visitor was Calabasas (CA.) five-star wide receiver Johnny Wilson. Wilson doesn't say a whole lot or give away his intentions but we do know Coach Mehringer has been riding his hip like a cover corner the whole time. Wilson heads back to sunny Southern California later today but will return for the huge June 21st visit weekend. Oregon is the primary competition.

Southlake Carroll (TX) three-star Andrej Karic took a secret UOV to Austin and walked away with an offer. Texas has been watching the 6-foot-5, 245-pound offensive tackle since last winter, and stopped by to see him this spring. With 20+ offers including Michigan, Oregon, Auburn, and Florida State among others, Karic has some nice suitors. This might be a clear sign where the staff stands on North Shore's Dameion George, and how they pursue the fourth and possibly a fifth OL takes in 2020's class. Some were surprised Karic got the call over Frisco Reedy OT Nathan Anderson. We got the take of one of the best evaluators and recruiters in the state over who he likes more: "Nathan's bigger right now and I'd say better right now, Andrej's not far behind, though. Nate solid to OU? I think he made an emotional decision on the OU visit." Texas may hold the same exact opinion as this coach but remember it's about what a player looks like in college, not high school. It could be argued that Karic has more growth potential. Karic does not take many visits so to see him out on the road was telling to coaches. I've heard he likes Ole Miss and TCU but Texas can probably make a move with a big push.

Running Back recruiting in 2020 might seem like a drag today but it's quietly picking up. With Robinson taking his OV this month, another name to remember is Aledo's Jase McClellan, the four-star Sooners pledge. We've reported that we feel McClellan is more open behind the scenes and those thoughts were confirmed through sources this weekend. A Robinson/McClellan duo is possible but just landing one is a wild success. We think Texas will get McClellan on campus this summer and that he'll take an official visit this fall.

Josh White is comfortable with his LSU commitment but there's still a bit of indecision. Miami was working on him hard at the Rice Mega Camp this weekend but if anyone flips the four-star Cy Creek linebacker it will be Texas. He's pretty open that he'll take visits and some film study with Todd Orlando in the future wouldn't surprise us. There's still a chance here but the most likely outcome at this time is he sticks with LSU.

Belongs in the blast furnace thread. 

53 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I think JQJ's a better runner than Sam and that threat along with an improved O'line should overcome the fact he can't throw as good as Sam.  

Sam improved his passing a lot from year 1 to year 2.  

I think this staff can make a hell of a QB out of JQJ. 

edit: + Jackson should get to redshirt.

*well

37 minutes ago, fellside said:

The nice thing about a Card/Jackson combo is both seem like they could Excel at another position.  

As much as I prefer Jackson for Herman's offense, there's something Leach said about accuracy basically being something you can't teach and he never understood taking guys whose one weakness was accuracy.  I think Card could be elite with accuracy.  I don't know Jackson's passing ability well to say either way.

*excel.

both are a little iffy. Card’s accurate when his first read is open and he’s not being pressured. When defenses pressure him or he has to start making progressions, he struggles a ton. I’ll be very curious to see if this was due to him playing WR his sophomore year and being low on live reps, or if he struggles with it again this year. 

For Jackson, he’s got a good arm and he’s pretty accurate when his mechanics are right, but he’s extremely inconsistent with his mechanics. When you watch him in a game, his feet are all over the place, he sometimes throws off balance needlessly, and his arm motion varies a ton. He’s actually surprisingly accurate for how inconsistent his mechanics are. I think a lot of that is due to being very raw as a QB. If he continues to work at the QB position and can get his mechanics down, he could be very accurate, but like Fud said, his ability as a runner lowers the bar for him as a passer. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

*well

*excel.

both are a little iffy. Card’s accurate when his first read is open and he’s not being pressured. When defenses pressure him or he has to start making progressions, he struggles a ton. I’ll be very curious to see if this was due to him playing WR his sophomore year and being low on live reps, or if he struggles with it again this year. 

For Jackson, he’s got a good arm and he’s pretty accurate when his mechanics are right, but he’s extremely inconsistent with his mechanics. When you watch him in a game, his feet are all over the place, he sometimes throws off balance needlessly, and his arm motion varies a ton. He’s actually surprisingly accurate for how inconsistent his mechanics are. I think a lot of that is due to being very raw as a QB. If he continues to work at the QB position and can get his mechanics down, he could be very accurate, but like Fud said, his ability as a runner lowers the bar for him as a passer.  

Has Daddy98 weighed in yet?

You guys are overanalyzing Jackson, but I suppose it's what we do. The bottom line is that Herman's offense performs best when a big, above average runner is taking snaps behind center. Jackson fits that bill better than anyone else they've signed besides Ehlinger. I think he's the most important recruit in this class due to that, along with the flexibility of having a guy that could be a plus player at LB or H-Back if the QB'ing thing doesn't sort itself out well. I'll be much happier to have Jackson in the fold than Card.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You guys are overanalyzing Jackson, but I suppose it's what we do. The bottom line is that Herman's offense performs best when a big, above average runner is taking snaps behind center. Jackson fits that bill better than anyone else they've signed besides Ehlinger. I think he's the most important recruit in this class due to that, along with the flexibility of having a guy that could be a plus player at LB or H-Back if the QB'ing thing doesn't sort itself out well. I'll be much happier to have Jackson in the fold than Card.

I'll be happy with both.  With the new trend of QB's hitting the eject button if they dont win the job in year 1 or 2 we need as much depth as we can get.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My overanalyzing Jackson’s accuracy was just a response to the OP. Jackson’s an absolute take at QB regardless of how much his accuracy develops. Herman has done a hell of a lot more with less at his previous stops (hi Greg and Cardale). Even if Jackson struggles with accuracy while here, he can still be a really good QB for Herman and, like you said, he’s a tremendous athlete that could convert to H-Back or LB if it doesn’t work out. I’d prefer LB if a position change ever happens. Not to mention, he’s a great take in a 2 QB class because he’s way more likely to switch positions than transfer compared to most pure QBs.

18 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, yeah, but the cool part is, he hardly ever throws a pass as called anyway. Most of his actual passes are scrambling around and finding a receiver who ran the chinese fire drill correctly. 

Honestly, the number of times he pump fakes a bubble screen before just running around and making something happen is probably where I came up with the J. Heard comp in the first place.

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I feel like you just described Jamal lord. 

Or could he be tommy Frazier?

JJ Joe? Odell James?

I'll take Tommy Frazier por favor.  I like CTJs comment, because I think we need durable QBs that can run more than pass.  I don't want a Buechele or Stidham trying to run this offense.

Is Jalen Hurts a good comp?  Because I would take his skill set in a second for this offense.  Great runner, and a guy that has significantly improved his throwing mechanics.

3 minutes ago, jinx said:

Is Jalen Hurts a good comp?  Because I would take his skill set in a second for this offense.  Great runner, and a guy that has significantly improved his throwing mechanics.

Hurts was a way more polished passer in high school.  Frankly, on Hurts' tape, he came across as a pass-first QB who used his legs to extend plays and find open receivers.  He was never a tuck it and run guy.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Herman and Beck on their own seem to like to throw more than Urban does

You should re-watch Herman's Houston offenses when he had a healthy Greg Ward.  Whole drives were basically just QB sweep left, QB sweep right, fake QB sweep fly route down the sideline.

I think Casey Thompson is a pretty good fit for this offense even though he’s not as big as Sam or this Jackson kid.  He’s got more acceleration than either one imo.   I actually feel better about our backup situation this year than last, even though the backup has zero career snaps. 

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Haha holy crap. Haven’t heard than name in forever. In case anyone’s curious, Major is killing it down in Tuscaloosa. Here’s Bama’s recap of his sophomore season:

“Reserve tight end for the Crimson Tide ... saw time in five games as a freshman and built on that experience to play in four games in 2018 (Arkansas State, Ole Miss, Missouri, Tennessee).”

he’ll catch 25 balls and 3 td his senior year, measure 6’6” 255 at the combine and get drafted 2nd round.  that’s why they go to bama.