Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Terrell had me laughing when he was discussing Hudson Card..how he puts up great numbers against bad teams but doesn't when he plays good teams in the playoffs like North Shore.  lol then talks about what happened in last year's playoffs..they lost to Northshore too.. We get it, you like JQJ, we all fucking do.. no need to act like Card is chopped liver as a QB

I think there’s some pretty legitimate doubts as to how well he can operate when he doesn’t have a clean pocket and his first read isn’t open.

I’m not saying Card sucks, but his play in HS has definitely made that point a fair question to ask.

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think there’s some pretty legitimate doubts as to how well he can operate when he doesn’t have a clean pocket and his first read isn’t open.

I’m not saying Card sucks, but his play in HS has definitely made that point a fair question to ask.

That seems like it would be a question with a lot of high school qbs.  

• Like 1

Nahlin

Spoiler

Names I've "heard" through the grapevine, though I can't pretend to know the actual order or exact level of interest.

Sean Gleeson, Ok St.: He'll probably be Mike Yurcich after a few more years under Gundy but this would be a premature promotion and Herman would still be running the show. That said, could work. The Ok St. offense is a good fit for the personnel, conference, and Tom's need to bully ball.

Kirk Ciarrocca, Minnesota: Sneaky good hire. He's the coach to Fleck's motivational speaker. Would be good for Sam's development.

David Yost, Tech: Not sure how serious but I think his agent has been contacted. Better hire than given credit for if it happened.

Others:

You've probably heard the name Courtney Messingham floated. He was at Iowa State with Herman in 2009 and is at K-State now. LOL. That would have Sam looking to grad transfer and rightfully so. He'd be good for the running game but give me a break on that.

Major Applewhite's name will probably come up. I cannot see that happening and things would get interesting if that's who Herman went to bat for. If you start seeing "Major Applewhite, he's a Longhorn legend" on the LHN, start to wonder.

Who they should look at:

Phil Longo, North Carolina: Sorry, Mack.

Mike Yurcich, Ohio State: He'd be pricey but I think he has a number Texas can meet. My initial #1, then #2 behind Harrell, and now #1 again.

I'm sure there are other names being looked at that I'm unaware of.

45 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Remember when Sam Bradford seemed like he sucked. Pepperidge Farms remembers. 

2 minutes ago, saul silver said:

Would the staff consider circling back to this kid now that QJ is no longer in the fold? I remember his name coming up a few times during the fall until he committed to Tech. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Loic-Fouonji-46052902/

We got straight-up beat in that recruitment. He's close to his family, and Tech has a well-regarded OC (with a stupid haircut). Doubt he's moving.

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Mike Yurcich, Ohio State: He'd be pricey but I think he has a number Texas can meet.

Yurcich is from Ohio and has no obvious ties to Texas. He's coaching a top 2 team in the country. Short of tOSU not having a strong desire to keep him, how could Nahlin think Texas has a shot at getting him?

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nahlin

Hide contents

Who they should look at:

Yes.  Yes. A thousand times yes.  He's not from this area but he was a good recruiter during his three years at Sam Houston.  Not likely to want to deal with Herman and the uncertainty of the situation - but I'd dangle a big check at him and make him say 'no'. 

3 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Yurcich is from Ohio and has no obvious ties to Texas. He's coaching a top 2 team in the country. Short of tOSU not having a strong desire to keep him, how could Nahlin think Texas has a shot at getting him?

Because he's co-OC'ing with Kevin Wilson behind a HC that calls plays.  Assuming Herman really is giving up play-calling it would be a nice raise and a chance to run the offense.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That seems like it would be a question with a lot of high school qbs.  

It is, but I think it’s a bigger question with Card than most high level QB prospects. Sam showed way more ability to navigate a messy pocket and get to secondary options in HS than Card has. 

Like I said, I’m not saying he sucks and he’ll develop in college, but it’s a bigger question for him at this point IMO.

3 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

He was OC under Gundy and is currently a Co-OC so it would be a step up in pay and title. It will be interesting to see what tOSU does with Hartline if Yurcich leaves. If he needs to spread his wings a bit, we'd do well to bring him in as WR coach

21 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Nahlin

Hide contents

Names I've "heard" through the grapevine, though I can't pretend to know the actual order or exact level of interest.

Sean Gleeson, Ok St.: He'll probably be Mike Yurcich after a few more years under Gundy but this would be a premature promotion and Herman would still be running the show. That said, could work. The Ok St. offense is a good fit for the personnel, conference, and Tom's need to bully ball.

Kirk Ciarrocca, Minnesota: Sneaky good hire. He's the coach to Fleck's motivational speaker. Would be good for Sam's development.

David Yost, Tech: Not sure how serious but I think his agent has been contacted. Better hire than given credit for if it happened.

Who they should look at:

Mike Yurcich, Ohio State: He'd be pricey but I think he has a number Texas can meet. My initial #1, then #2 behind Harrell, and now #1 again.

I'm sure there are other names being looked at that I'm unaware of.

First - good to see Nahlin shoot down Messingham as a candidate.

I like every name on this list and wouldn't be disappointed with any of them.  There is absolutely no reason to drag this out - other than to save a few dollars on the buyout.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I like every name on this list and wouldn't be disappointed with any of them.  There is absolutely no reason to drag this out - other than to save a few dollars on the buyout.

I think Gleeson would be disappointing, but that's me assuming that TH wants to be a hands on developer of an up and comer and could over-reach into Gleeson's offense. We know Tom will make sure he has input, but if it's a TH offense reboot, mission not accomplished. Gleeson's play calling in the Texas game was also...suspect. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I think Gleeson would be disappointing, but that's me assuming that TH wants to be a hands on developer of an up and comer and could over-reach into Gleeson's offense. We know Tom will make sure he has input, but if it's a TH offense reboot, mission not accomplished. Gleeson's play calling in the Texas game was also...suspect. 

It was probably the worst opponent game plan against us we saw all year.   Although it was early and maybe served as the blueprint for every other OC as to how NOT to try to beat us.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I like the other two well enough, but I’m with the other posters in that I thought OSU did an absolutely horrific job game planning for us and this was probably their least impressive offense in quite awhile from both a game planning/coaching perspective and production perspective. Plus, he’s been at a P5 school for one year in his entire coaching career and that was with Gundy having a heavy hand in the offense. I don’t see much to justify him being hired as OC. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I like the other two well enough, but I’m with the others in that I thought OSU did an absolutely horrific job game planning for us and this was probably their least impressive offense in quite awhile from both a game planning/coaching perspective and production perspective. Plus, he’s been at a P5 school for one year in his entire coaching career and that was with Gundy having a heavy hand in the offense. I don’t see much to justify him being hired as OC. 

He's not my top choice - but I'm fine with bringing him in, even with limited experience.  I haven't see the Princeton offense- but the stats show him doing a hell of a job there.  His year at OSU was up and down - but I do like the idea of bringing in a young guy with a smart offensive mind who might be able to freshen up Herman's offense.  I don't know how much freedom Herman is going to give any of these OC's - so I have a feeling we'll have much more of a chance hiring a young guy like Gleeson than we would a more established OC like Longo.

From the Anwar update on the football board:

Gleeson is viewed as rising star in college football because of his success at Princeton. He was Princeton’s offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach from 2017 to 2018. According to his bio, Princeton led the FCS in scoring offense by averaging 47.0 points per game and ranked in the top 10 nationally in total offense (second with 536.8 yards per game), rushing offense (sixth with 295.5 yards per game), third-down conversion percentage (second with a mark of 53.4 percent) and pass efficiency (seventh with a mark of 161.26). The Tigers’ 470 points scored in 2018 set an Ivy League record.

More importantly, Gleeson runs a pro-spread that is run first and balance. His philosophy meshes with the style of play Herman desires.

Gleeson reportedly earned $550,000 during his first season at Oklahoma State this season. From a financial aspect, giving Gleeson more money would not be an issue. It is hard to know from afar if Gleeson is married to Oklahoma State and coach Mike Gundy. However, he has the attributes Herman desires in an offensive coordinator.

I have heard his name mentioned multiple times recently.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

Cross posting the whole Anwar update:

Offensive coordinator Graham Harrell is going to stay at USC. It appears unlikely Joe Brady will leave LSU for Texas.

Where does Texas football coach Tom Herman go next?

That is the question I posed to my sources after Harrell announced his decision to remain at USC on Monday night. Brady and Harrell were the notable names, but I wanted to know who were some of the other candidates in Herman’s list. I uncovered several notes worth passing along to you on Tuesday.

First, it is important to remember that Herman is not looking for a “home run hire,” according to my sources. One of the aspects of this search I discovered this past weekend was there is not a belief that the offense was broken this season. Texas finished with the 15th ranked offense in college football. The Longhorns were also ranked ninth in third-down offense, and 10th in red zone conversions. From what I have been able to gather, Herman does not believe the offense was a major problem this season. Instead, the biggest concern is fixing the defense, which is why his first coordinator hire was Chris Ash.

In addition, I do not sense there is any rush to fill the offensive coordinator position. There is a possibility the position will be filled before Texas faces Utah in the Alamo Bowl. However, Herman will take more time to vet offensive coordinator candidates since there is not a huge sense of urgency. Again, that is just what I am gathering from my sources.

Here are a few Longhorn offensive candidate names I gathered from my sources this week (to my knowledge, none have been contacted):

Mike Yurcich (Passing Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks, Ohio State)
[IMG]
Photo via The Athletic

He was the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State from 2013 to 2018. According to Yurcich’s bio, during his six years at Oklahoma State, the program ranked fifth nationally in passing yards per game (315.9), 11th in touchdown passes (179), seventh in total yards (478.6) and sixth in scoring (38.0). In the 2017 season, Mason Rudolph had 4,904 passing yards, 37 touchdowns and nine interceptions, James Washington and Marcell Ateman had over 1,000 yards receiving, while Justice Hill has over 1,000 yards rushing. In addition, Oklahoma State led the nation in passing (389.2 yards per game), was second in total offense (568.9) and ranked fourth in scoring (45.0).

Basically, that is the ideal balance Herman desires at Texas.

Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields has 2,953 passing yards, 40 touchdowns and only one interception this season (190.3 passer rating). Kevin Wilson is Ohio State’s offensive coordinator, but Yurcich impact on Fields is obvious. More importantly, Yurcich could become a coordinator again at Texas.

Right now, Ohio State is preparing to face Clemson in the college football playoffs on December 28. 

Sean Gleeson (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks, Oklahoma State)
[IMG]
Photo via Tulsa World

Gleeson is viewed as rising star in college football because of his success at Princeton. He was Princeton’s offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach from 2017 to 2018. According to his bio, Princeton led the FCS in scoring offense by averaging 47.0 points per game and ranked in the top 10 nationally in total offense (second with 536.8 yards per game), rushing offense (sixth with 295.5 yards per game), third-down conversion percentage (second with a mark of 53.4 percent) and pass efficiency (seventh with a mark of 161.26). The Tigers’ 470 points scored in 2018 set an Ivy League record.

More importantly, Gleeson runs a pro-spread that is run first and balance. His philosophy meshes with the style of play Herman desires.

Gleeson reportedly earned $550,000 during his first season at Oklahoma State this season. From a financial aspect, giving Gleeson more money would not be an issue. It is hard to know from afar if Gleeson is married to Oklahoma State and coach Mike Gundy. However, he has the attributes Herman desires in an offensive coordinator.

I have heard his name mentioned multiple times recently.

Major Applewhite (analyst/Alabama) 
[IMG]
Photo via AP

Let me start by saying this could be a difficult sell to Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte. Nevertheless, if Herman eventually decides he wants to convince the program to move on from what occurred in the past, Applewhite will move up the current candidate list. 

My sources told me Herman is intrigued about the possibility of reuniting with Applewhite at Texas. When Herman talks about wanting to focus on being a head coach, that has a lot to do with the success he had with Applewhite at Houston. Applewhite ran the offense, which allowed Herman to take a big picture approach. His former offensive coordinator ran the meetings at Houston, a task Herman is forced to do at Texas. Applewhite also developed game plans Herman liked at Houston.

“Having to spend that much time preparing an offensive game plan every week took, and has taken, too much of my time and energy in order to do the things necessary as a head coach, to do them at an elite level, like I've been able to do in the past,” Herman recently said.

Basically, Herman has been looking for the next Applewhite during his current candidate search, and my sources have indicated he has discussed a potential reunion in Austin. Applewhite has spent this season learning under Alabama coach Nick Saban, and knows the recruiting landscape in Texas, which adds to his appeal.

I would not overreact to this nugget. Instead, just file it in the back of your head.

Courtney Messingham (offensive coordinator/Kansas State)

There has been some speculation about Messingham recently, but my sources indicated he is not a candidate at Texas.

I will keep you posted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Terrell had me laughing when he was discussing Hudson Card..how he puts up great numbers against bad teams but doesn't when he plays good teams in the playoffs like North Shore.  lol then talks about what happened in last year's playoffs..they lost to Northshore too.. We get it, you like JQJ, we all fucking do.. no need to act like Card is chopped liver as a QB

Every man has their guy they fall in love with. Like on Pretend We're Football, Tim Preston fell in love with Matt Coleman. The guys who I fall in love with never seem to end up at Texas though...

26 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It was probably the worst opponent game plan against us we saw all year.   Although it was early and maybe served as the blueprint for every other OC as to how NOT to try to beat us.

I think it was this.  Going into the game it was the #1 rushing attack in the nation against untested defensive front with 7 first-year starters. 

They ran a lot of inside and split zone concepts that they had beaten us with in the past. That (?)first play from scrimmage(?) did not bode well for them: the one where Chuba ran smack into his own double team, tried to cutback into three defenders, and finally bounced for a TFL from the nickel.  He did a ton of work for like a 5-yard loss, and that kept happening all game.