Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not if Del Conte goes anti-herman and has a plan in place that includes a splash hire for in place by December 1st. 

The next head coach needs to recruit and have a good relationship with the top in-state targets ahead of getting the job, which Herman failed to do across the board while at Houston, aside from Chaisson 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

The next head coach needs to recruit and have a good relationship with the top in-state targets ahead of getting the job, which Herman failed to do across the board while at Houston, aside from Chaisson 

giphy.gif

I’m hoping Milroe and a good hire will give the new guy a shot to make a pitch and keep a good class mostly intact. But yeah, top 5 isn’t reasonable. Top 15- 20 with some blues maybe. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

giphy.gif

I’m hoping Milroe and a good hire will give the new guy a shot to make a pitch and keep a good class mostly intact. But yeah, top 5 isn’t reasonable. Top 15- 20 with some blues maybe. 

Top ten would be my target. Hell, hiring Samples as a RB or TE coach is worth like three top DFW kids on his own. Obviously, the biggest chips are the Brockermeyers; a top ten in the country prospect is a big difference maker in the rankings. Might be able to flip a few 4*s from... the previous coach's school 

If Dabo Swinney himself announced he would be the next Texas HC on December 1st, wouldn't mean a top 15 finish for 2021. Kids aren't just gonna flock to a coach despite his track record without having that relationship first.  But I hope Tom makes us look like idiots and gets us 10/11 wins next season..  

There are a handful of coaches they would, currently Dabo is one

51 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

spacer.png

29 minutes ago, Viper said:

this isn't a transition class

Neither were USC’s 2019 and 2020 classes, technically. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

15 minutes ago, Viper said:

this isn't a transition class

Exactly.. my message was for the ones that are comparing 2020 to a transition class.  This class could be better but it's not as tragic as some would make it seem like.  Tomorrow is NSD and unless some of y'all get your wet dream, we aren't getting 15 decommits by 6 am tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Exactly.. my message was for the ones that are comparing 2020 to a transition class.  This class could be better but it's not as tragic as some would make it seem like.  Tomorrow is NSD and unless some of y'all get your wet dream, we aren't getting 15 decommits by 6 am tomorrow morning. 

Just whistling past the graveyard, huh? We have some elite prospects In this class (one less as of last night), but it’s going to be a small class with limited depth followed by a real transition class.

If we had fired Herman this year, a new coach could’ve come in with a ton of talent and a senior Sam and won big right away with good depth in the roster for future years and cleaned up in 2021 recruiting. Instead, recruiting will be on a downward trend for a year, 2021 class will struggle, guys will hit the portal before a new HC comes in because Herman and Ash can’t keep a locker room together while losing, and we’ll be back in the cycle of new coach taking over a roster with some talent but a ton of holes.

The new HC will be better off than CS or Herman were when they came in, but we needed to get out of this shitty cycle of having one or two good classes followed by transition classes that we’ve been in for almost a decade now. Firing Herman this year was the way out by keeping as much of the small 2020 class together as possible and then cleaning up in 2021, but we didn’t do it and now we’re one year behind the clusterfuck that is USC currently. Now our best hope is that we don’t keep Herman for two years as a dead man walking, like USC is. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Just whistling past the graveyard, huh? We have some elite prospects In this class (one less as of last night), but it’s going to be a small class with limited depth followed by a real transition class.

If we had fired Herman this year, a new coach could’ve come in with a ton of talent and a senior Sam and won big right away with good depth in the roster for future years and cleaned up in 2021 recruiting. Instead, recruiting will be on a downward trend for a year, 2021 class will struggle, guys will hit the portal before a new HC comes in because Herman and Ash can’t keep a locker room together while losing, and we’ll be back in the cycle of new coach taking over a roster with some talent but a ton of holes.

The new HC will be better off than CS or Herman were when they came in, but we needed to get out of this shitty cycle of having one or two good classes followed by transition classes that we’ve been in for almost a decade now. Firing Herman this year was the way out by keeping as much of the small 2020 class together as possible and then cleaning up in 2021, but we didn’t do it and now we’re one year behind the clusterfuck that is USC currently. Now our best hope is that we don’t keep Herman for two years as a dead man walking, like USC is. 

FutureMan?

(Mike Roach) Signing Day Spotlight: Bijan Robinson is the total package

Bijan Robinson is just what Texas needs. In fact, Bijan Robinson is just what any school needs. The five-star running back from Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic destroyed the Arizona record books. In a storied career that saw him capture the record for career rushing yards at the 4A level this season, Robinson finished with 2,235 yards on 126 carries (17.7 ypc) and 38 touchdowns, according to MaxPreps.com. The total yards eclipsed his sophomore total of 2,023 yards but fell short of his junior campaign that saw him run for 2,400.

He also did it in a more efficient manner, as his 17.7 yards per carry average topped each of the last two seasons. When Robinson committed to Texas during the summer, a power-five offensive coordinator told Horns247 that the elite back was, “The most talented back to come to Texas since Jamaal Charles.” His blend of power, speed, and change of direction might remind fans of professionals like LeSean McCoy, but Robinson’s running back coach Zachary Neveleff told Horns247 that Robinson’s work ethic was the trait that truly set him apart.

“He’s always willing to learn,” Neveleff said. “He always wants to be the best at everything, No matter what I tell him or what drills we come up with. He’s doing it all the way and he’s all in. He’s all in on everything. The kid will run through a wall if he thinks it will make him better, and that’s the best thing about Bijan. He’s willing to work. He’s a gym rat, and whatever it is he’s willing to do it.”

Neveleff’s comments reveal what might be more special than the physical talents Robinson possesses. A friendly and good-natured prospect with a million-dollar smile, Robinson could probably win the Mayoral office in his native Tucson. While his coaches sing praises of his work ethic, his peers will talk of the way he’s always willing to help those around him.

In this day and age of recruiting, five-star kids typically come with a five-star attitude. That isn’t always a positive trait, but Robinson appears to be one of those special cases. In fact, when I went out to see Robinson during the fall, I was startled to see the amount of Texas gear in the crowd at Salpointe Catholic. In speaking with the players and staff at his school, I was told that the explosion of burnt orange in Tucson had everything to do with how beloved Bijan is among his classmates.

Texas fans won’t rest easy until Robinson’s letter of intent is announced, but once it’s in, Texas will have everything they’ve needed on and off the field. At 6-feet, 200 pounds, Robinson is ranked as the No. 2 running back in the country and No. 2 overall prospect in Arizona, according to 247Sports Composite.

Eric Nahlin: With the Chris Ash hire comes some recruiting benefits

Recruiting success/fail rate is directly tied to the head man's job security and program profile. A staff of good recruiters can mitigate the damage caused by negative perception, and program branding will always help a blue blood, but there's no staff that will fully overcome it. Recruiting "witches" are normally fan fiction, anyway. Program trajectory is what matters above all else. The current negative perception of Texas is being earned thanks to poor play on the field necessitating a huge staff overhaul. The old adage "it isn't negative recruiting if it's true" applies right now. Curse that damned old trimestered man for pointing out Texas doesn't have an OC or WR coach! Losing Temple WR Quentin Johnston to TCU hurts, but it's not the end of the world.

Texas is extremely fortunate it recruited a nucleus of players who committed to the school. Hudson Card is a Longhorn and that's why he spurned Georgia, Auburn, and Ohio State late. Vernon Broughton and his mother prize what the school can do for him beyond football. That also played a key role in gaining the commitment of Bijan Robinson. I don't know him well, but I can only assume Ja'Quinden Jackson was always a fan based on him being perceived as a lock since his sophomore year.

I don't want to pile on Herman right now, but when this quality (if not small) group signs with 7-5 Texas, it tells you how easy it is to recruit to Texas when perception is positive. The school does much of the heavy lifting. File that note away. Absent wins on the field, regaining recruiting momentum is very difficult. Herman needs to button up a really good staff in order to improve his chances to land a good 2021 class. Good shouldn't be good enough, by the way. If the 2021 class craters it will set the program back significantly. The comparisons to 2017 are fair but are only a starting point. The 2021 class is loaded in the trenches where 2017 was mostly skill talent. Great skill talent, but skill talent.

One clear recent positive is Chris Ash's scheme will be easier to recruit to than Orlando's, particularly across the defensive line. We've seen Texas A&M's defensive ends coach Terry Price skillfully recruit players either to A&M or away from Texas. His pitch, that you can't rush the passer from 4i, is null and void (though Ash does use the alignment some). That's a big positive as we enter the 2021 cycle loaded with D-line talent. Landon Jackson is exactly the pass rusher the program needs. I was skeptical of his fit as a B-backer and didn't think it was possible to land him as a 4i. Ash's preferred usage of defensive ends gives UT its best chance.

Players who were recruited for B-backer will have a slightly different role (they'll still drop in space some) as a weakside end. That isn't a concern, those guys can easily grow into the position from a technical standpoint and they won't need to carry much more wait than they otherwise would. Both Joseph Ossai and Prince Dorbah spent time at 4i in high school. Texas will need those guys to be blurs off the edge which is how they profiled as prospects. No longer will we see Ossai playing off the ball for 80% of his snaps. That's a win on the field and in recruiting. Texas already has Ja'Tavion Sanders committed in 2021 and he projects to defensive end with no problem. 4i would have been a big ask of him.

You may see the staff take more true defensive tackles. Or you may not. Taking "defensive ends" with growth potential like T'Vondre Sweat is a good way to find your defensive tackles. Spinning players down boosts athleticism. Short, stubby guys who can move like Poona Ford, Keondre Coburn, or Baylor's Bravvion Roy will always have a home on the football field but aren't the most common specimens. I'd keep spinning guys who were natural fits for 4i downward. *whispers* watch Malcolm Roach as a 3-tech in the NFL.

Along with how much easier it is to recruit the defensive line, another plus will be allowing physically and athletically superior corners to be physically and athletically superior. Dating back to the Charlie Strong days we've seen Texas prefer to play big, twitchy corners off, which negates their advantages. Todd Orlando did this too. That should be no more which immediately benefits UT's current crop of corners, including incoming Kitan Crawford who is raw but physically mature and athletic.

With safeties and linebackers you'll still want the best talent you can find. Elite talent fits any scheme. I'm more bullish on the current crop of young linebackers than most, provided they get properly coached. The athletic raw materials are in place. They need to hire a great teacher at the position. The Ash hire was a solid stand-up double that should benefit on and off the field. Whether it's a good enough hire remains to be seen.

So current Texas class commitment number is 16.  I guess after Friday, Mensa is gonna attempt to find a few:

• late rising 2020 HS Seniors
  • a few trapdoor 3-4 Star castoffs
  • maybe 1-2 Juco transfers
  • possibly 1-2 grad transfers

Mensa will also need to close the deal on few recruits that wait for Feb 2020 signing date...

https://247sports.com/Player/Kelvontay-Dixon-46041043/

https://247sports.com/Player/Alfred-Collins-46047351/

https://247sports.com/Player/Princely-Umanmielen-46046991/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: With the Chris Ash hire comes some recruiting benefits

Players who were recruited for B-backer will have a slightly different role (they'll still drop in space some) as a weakside end. That isn't a concern, those guys can easily grow into the position from a technical standpoint and they won't need to carry much more wait than they otherwise would. 

Really?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

What's the rationale for announcing today?  By all accounts, this has been in the works for weeks.  Please don't tell me that losing a recruit finally made Tom realize it's a detriment for these kids to not know who they are signing up to play for.

Have to make it look like it was a tough decision and many candidates were interviewed.  Can't do that over the course of a weekend.

14 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

What's the rationale for announcing today?  By all accounts, this has been in the works for weeks.  Please don't tell me that losing a recruit finally made Tom realize it's a detriment for these kids to not know who they are signing up to play for.

Probably an attempt to regain the narrative after QJ decommitment and no offensive coordinator.

14 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

It’s called 4th and 5. Good listen @OnAComputer and Darius Terrell host it

Terrell had me laughing when he was discussing Hudson Card..how he puts up great numbers against bad teams but doesn't when he plays good teams in the playoffs like North Shore.  lol then talks about what happened in last year's playoffs..they lost to Northshore too.. We get it, you like JQJ, we all fucking do.. no need to act like Card is chopped liver as a QB

• Like 1