Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

9 hours ago, VaHorn said:

No, this post is classic CTJ.  When he is getting absolutely trounced, as he is in this exchange, he either runs and hides or changes the subject as he is trying to do here.  

He’s a business man; one of the first on scene during chaos, he buys into every possible outcome and quickly cuts his losses on failing ventures.

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

He’s a business man; one of the first on scene during chaos, he buys into every possible outcome and quickly cuts his losses on failing ventures.

Oh wow. VaHorn still posts? I guess new coaching hires means new coaches to blindly defend, so of course he’d come skulking around. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 2:55 PM, longhornmatt said:

Oklahoma gave up 5.3 yards per play in conference games (2nd best mark in the league behind Baylor).  Texas gave up 6.3 yards per play in conference games, which was 7th in the conference.  So, lulz indeed at whatever nonsense FEI shat out to come up with those rankings.  

if only there was a way to see what went into that!

for what it's worth, Texas was #60, OU was #63

based on a quick look at the underlying info, OU was #129 in the country in Turnovers using their Turnover Rate which likely killed them. Texas was #32.  Either way, they were very close between those two overall. 

shitting on FEI is funny, #1 in ThePredictionTracker rankings at 76.83% SU picks this year and #8 against the spread (really 3rd among those who picked most of the games) - the system killed it this year. 

S&P+ evidently had OU as the #41 defense and Texas at #77 so there is more of a difference there. guessing in part that is because of how the systems weigh turnovers?

here are the rankings from ksu_FAN that show info from both 5 factors (S&P+) and Per Play (FEI)

quick look at this shows that OU had a ton of havoc created (more than Baylor even, and almost 2x as much on a per play standpoint I think) but that didn't make them get turnovers (#8 in B12 play)

8 hours ago, Farkimedes said:

Wife is a die hard Baylor girl, so I end up half following the team. According to their 9.95 guys, the Collins visit went well but Princely did not. Assumption on Princely is that the wants to meet the new UT staff before making a decision, and that the visit this weekend had more to do w/ Mom wanting him to take it than him actually being interested. Baylor 9.95 guys think Collins is down to OU / Baylor, and won't decide until February.

that isn't a decision then, no offense to Baylor.

Spoiler

defense is this year was 7 seniors, 3 juniors (including Lynch who is gone), 1 sophomore + a coach that is gone in the next 2 years. dude is going to get NFL offers from franchises that are not jets-level dumpster fires) - offense graduates 5, including 2 best WR, RB and 2 OL. next year is going to be a drastically different season for them and it doesn't take much of a look into advanced stats or results to see that.

13 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I have to admit, you possess some creative deflection tactics.

What am I deflecting? I told Burt Macklin he was being a declarative douche, he told me I was being a pedant and wrong about his intent. How many more back and forths were necessary in order for you to feel satisfied?

As to VaHorn, the guy is a worthless piece of shit who shows up here basically for the sole purpose of negging people, telling them they’re idiots, and then disappearing again. Go check out his posting history. Not a single action of value. He’s been an ardent Coach Whoever supporter for years on 24/7 and believes Burton, Holland, Chip Brown, LotusHorn and whatever staff is running things is completely infallible. I’ve had him on ignore since this site launched and the only time I remember he exists is when someone quotes his useless ass. 

• Like 1

Just land Collins and keep Johnston in the fold, and the class will be salvaged, all things considered. Princely, Dixon, Bradford (if Texas offers), etc would be nice as well, but Collins and Johnston are top ten in the state difference makers who need to be in the program, either for the next coach, or for in the event that Herman survives. 

• Like 2

The Stampede: National Signing Day Primer

Spoiler

We are in the final countdown to National Signing Day. The annual recruiting holiday that used to rule the first week of February now reigns in December thanks to the early signing period. Roughly eighty percent of college prospects will ink their letter of intent on Wednesday leaving a second market between now and February to land the players who don’t sign this week.

The Longhorns currently sit at seventeen commits following Sunday’s news that Longview defensive lineman Sawyer Goram-Welch would add his name to the Texas class. The recent coaching turnover sparked some shaky moments and pushed the decommitment count to six this year including four-star athlete Mookie Cooper, four-star cornerback Ethan Pouncey, four-star defensive lineman Van Fillinger, four-star defensive lineman Princely Umanmielen, four-star cornerback Joshua Eaton, and three-star running back Ty Jordan.

The Longhorns also hosted an important recruiting weekend of official visits right before the dead period cutoff. In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we offer a signing day primer and discuss where the class stands heading into the week.

RB Bijan Robinson, Tucson (Az.) Salpointe Catholic

Texas fans won’t likely exhale until Robinson’s letter if officially submitted. Sources tell us all is well with the five-star back, and Texas was sitting pretty even before they hammered the in-home visit last week. I expect Robinson’s letter to signal all sorts of celebrations on Wednesday but remember to adjust for the time change when looking for his announcement.

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis

Card was the first commit of the 2020 class, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if the local prospect was the first to get his letter in on Wednesday. Some Georgia rumors popped up late in the process, but sources near the Cavalier quarterback told us that they were just rumors. Card’s high school career will finish at the Under Armour All-American game before he enrolls early at Texas.

WR Quentin Johnston, Temple

Johnston is the odds-on favorite to be the biggest story on Wednesday. The highly-ranked receiver has been in contact with TCU following Drew Mehringer’s firing a few weeks ago. Texas hosted Johnston for an official visit over the weekend, and sources in Austin felt good about the chances of Johnston shutting everything down come Wednesday. However, TCU sources still feel as if they have a chance in this recruitment, and Johnston is a tough read. After speaking with sources coming out of the visit, I would lean towards Johnston signing on Wednesday, but this one still seems to be up in the air as we head into the week.

QB Ja'Quinden Jackson, Duncanville

Jackson suffered an unfortunate knee injury over the weekend that could potentially keep him out of the state championship rematch this Saturday against North Shore. Jackson told Horns247 on multiple occasions that he’s firm to Texas and plans to sign this week. Jackson’s announcement might elicit a similar reaction to Robinson’s when it is received.

DL Vernon Broughton, Cy-Ridge

In case you haven’t seen it on twitter, Vernon Broughton’s mama is hooked and so is the four-star defensive lineman. Broughton was accepted to Texas a few weeks ago and is set to sign and enroll early in Austin.

LB Prince Dorbah, Highland Park

Dorbah has been one of the strongest vocal commitments following the staff turnover, and he’s made no secret about his plans to sign with Texas regardless of what happens. Dorbah will make things official on Wednesday.

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek

Alford’s team is headed to their second straight state title game, and Alford stated that he plans to make things official on Wednesday. The four-star safety is slated to be an early enrollee, and he should be able to compete for playing time this spring.

CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler

Crawford took the opportunity to look around once the staff turnover began, but Texas calmed things down with a few in-home visits. Crawford stated on twitter that he planned to sign on Wednesday, and he’ll be the lone cornerback in the class once he does.

S Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin

Thompson is one of the quieter members of the class, and after checking in with sources, it sounds like Thompson’s signature should come in with no unnecessary drama. Thompson is set to enroll in January after making his commitment during the summer.

OL Jake Majors, Prosper

Majors’ family is set to close on a house in the Austin area this week, and Majors will be moving to Austin as an early enrollee. Majors will be signing during a public ceremony at his high school on Wednesday and will finish up his high school career at the Under Armour All-American Game.

OL Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves

Garth could also join the club of the quietest commits in the class. The big offensive tackle made his commitment during the spring, and he missed his senior season with a lower boy injury. Garth is expected to sign on Wednesday with no muss and no fuss.

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin

Omeire was one of the official visitors on hand over the weekend at Texas. The four-star wide receiver made news when he flipped his commitment from Texas A&M to Texas during the early part of the summer. Omeire had a great official visit to Austin over the weekend, and he told Horns247 that he will indeed make it official and sign his letter of intent on Wednesday.

OL Logan Parr, San Antonio O’Connor

Parr followed Hudson Card as the second commit in the 2020 class, and he never wavered from the beginning. Like Majors, Parr plans to sign his letter of intent at his high school on Wednesday and enroll early in Austin within the next month.

OL Andrej Karic, Southlake Carroll

Karic is part of the rock-solid group of offensive linemen in this class, and the four-star offensive tackle hasn’t looked back after pulling the trigger for Texas back in the summer. Karic will sign at his school on Wednesday and he’s set to play in the All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

ATH Jaden Hullaby, Mansfield Timberview

Hullaby was a bit of a surprise commit during the spring, but the versatile athlete could fit on either side of the ball. Time will tell if Hullaby ends up as a jumbo athlete on offense or a possible linebacker.  Hullaby hasn’t even looked at any other schools, and he’s set to sign his letter of intent on Wednesday during a public ceremony at his school.

WR Dajon Harrison, Hutto

Harrison wasted no time making a commitment after getting his dream offer from Texas a few months ago. Harrison hasn’t wavered since and plans to sign his letter of intent on Wednesday during a public ceremony at his school.

DL Sawyer Goram-Welch, Longview

The newest Texas commit will have the shortest honeymoon between commitment and signing. After announcing his decision Sunday night, Goram-Welch will sign on Wednesday and enroll at Texas in January.

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You literally used the term “need”, as in required, for a player near 300 to play 3 tech. You’re a lawyer, I know it gives you comfort to weasel around word choices, but your framing was obvious and you don’t get to attempt to walk it back. Just own the fact that there are plenty of instances in which a large man can competently play SDE in a 4-3 scheme, and they have with Ash. Whether Princely could at 295 is anyone’s guess, yours included. 

My two cents on defense personnel:

4i's and 1 techs are the same, fitting on inside shoulders of T/G but typically reading inside man either the G/C, and mostly fighting off doubles.

5 techs and 3 techs are the same, making outside fits on their man, typically singled up and need to react faster to reads.

Nose's are a different animal, depending on what your scheme asks them to do, eat doubles or penetrate.

SDE and WDE don't matter anymore. Very rarely do you see a team who flips their Dline. This goes for every position, they need to be able to slide and play multiple techs. Position versatility is key. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone here would ever blame the kid for going elsewhere. No one is lining up to shit on a recruit for flipping elsewhere. You shit on the staff that can't keep him in the boat, or who won't hire one of the biggest offensive names out there which would be music to WR ears because you're a narcissistic egomaniac who can't give up control of the offense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

The Stampede: National Signing Day Primer

Hide contents

OL Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves

Garth could also join the club of the quietest commits in the class. The big offensive tackle made his commitment during the spring, and he missed his senior season with a lower boy injury. Garth is expected to sign on Wednesday with no muss and no fuss.

Ouch.

Ian Boyd: Texas' 2020 personnel in a Chris Ash, 4-2-5 Under

Recently a kindly relative sent me a copy of my own book to sign for my wife's uncle as part of his Christmas present (poor fellow). He's a big Pittsburgh Steelers fan and I wanted to try and write some sort of relevant note along with my signature to tie the theme of the book in with the sort of football that he actually watches regularly. I wanted to make some note on Minkah Fitzpatrick so I pulled up the game of Pittsburgh vs Arizona and Kyler Murray to make sure that I actually knew what they were up to these days on D in Steel town.

I found the zone blitz oriented Steelers still up to some of those tricks, but this was the package they were running when the Cardinals had three or more WRs on the field:

image.png

That's either a 2-3-6 or a 2-4-5 depending on how you want to classify Mark Barron, which is kinda my point here. Against spread passing sets, the Steelers don't put anyone on the field that can't credibly drop into a zone except the two defensive tackles. Perhaps Todd Orlando just didn't go far enough last year, maybe the Cowboy package should have been the base defense against LSU and then Shark McCulloch and the other ILBs wouldn't have been giving up easy yardage over the middle of the field.

Some interesting tweaks to the Steeler set up is that they play little Mike Hilton up in the box at the point of attack and then bigger Terrell Edmunds deeper off the ball. Hilton has to fit the run at times but he's playing down so that he can press up on a slot, Edmunds is almost always playing either deep or in a hook zone underneath after dropping down, so he stays on the hash marks kinda like Kam Chancellor did for the Seahawks. Barron and Hilton play OLB so that they can match up against a TE and slot receiver respectively, leaving Bush on a RB and Edmunds to play as a rover between the hash marks or else over the top.

This kind of "buzz" coverage with a safety playing down sorta like a linebacker while the "linebacker" plays man coverage on a receiver out wide is pretty common at the next level and is a useful distinction for figuring out what to do with Texas' 2020 personnel. I'm not totally sure if Chris Ash will stick with the quarters coverages he's played in the past (probably yes) but even if he does, the sort of personnel packaging you see above could still work for the 2020 Longhorns if they did something like this:

image.png

Before everyone comes in telling me I need to move this player here and that player there, let me explain the set-up and thinking here:

D'Shawn Jamison as nickel
The nickel in this D is usually covered up more, although it should be noted that Ash has experimented with the tite front and 4i-techniques at strongside end. He probably shouldn't do that save for against trips sets so that he can use a true corner at nickel and be able to press up and deny easy throws to that position.

Jamison is fantastic playing in run support and matching quick breaks underneath with help over the top, both of which are easily leveraged in a 4-down at nickel. Sterns is finally moved to his natural position as a field safety here, although at either spot I'm sure his role will primarily consist of playing deep in support or else taking on coverage assignments you don't want to go to box safeties like Foster or Overshown. Speaking of those guys...

BJ Foster at middle linebacker, Overshown at boundary safety
The middle linebacker in the Under gets put into space a ton at the college level and ruthlessly attacked with run/pass conflicts. Ideally you help him out at times with techniques like the 4i or a heavy 5-technique strongside end that plays the B-gap rather than setting the edge. At any rate, you want at least one of your ILBs to be capable of keeping up with a good flex TE or slot receiver underneath in coverage, playing sideline to sideline, and fitting inside runs from the hash mark. That's often the middle linebacker that has to do that in this scheme, so that's where you want your converted safety.

Why Foster rather than Overshown? For one, Foster has shown a lot more willingness to play in this sort of role than Overshown, for another he's actually probably better at it. Foster's specialty is generating insane explosiveness and power over a short area, Overshown's specialty is covering a ton of ground quickly and arriving with pop. Foster can handle playing up in the box both in terms of dealing with the conflicts in space and also in blowing up blockers and generating the necessary power within a few steps. Overshown is exactly the kind of guy you want lining up back at safety like Chancellor or Edmunds only to appear in position to make plays like a linebacker unexpectedly and after the snap.

The defensive line
I think Ta'Quon Graham could play strongside end or 3-technique defensive tackle and I'm not sure which he'd be better at. It might depend on whether the better fourth DL is Marqez Bimage, who's a pretty prototypical strongside end, or Moro Ojomo who's probably more of a 3-technique. If Ojomo is next best, Graham can play strongside end. If it's Bimage in 2020, then Graham can probably play at 3-technique. Joseph Ossai is your weakside DE/OLB hybrid, full stop. It's hard to imagine Texas hiring Chris Ash and using Ossai as anything other than an edge rusher who can drop into zone at times rather than a zone dropper who can rush the edge at times. This is the way to do it. If Ash tries to play Overshown or Foster at nickel and that's the talk of the spring, you'll know that there's likely to be some issues in 2020.

34 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

If Clark is hinting QJ with a silent, then it means he's signing with Texas Wednesday.  The news about Collins is great for us. No way he goes elsewhere once the defensive staff solidifies itself next month.

ou taking another juco should help us if we get the right staff hires.

• Like 1

Always curious to me why a few more recruits (like Quentin Johnston) don't wait until Thursday or Friday of the early signing period to sign...

Early National Signing Day 2019: Dates, Top CFB Prospects and TV Schedule

"The early national signing period has transformed college football, with the upcoming week expected to play a major role in the future landscape of the sport.  About 80 percent of FBS signees in 2018 committed during the early period last December, per Barton Simmons of CBS Sports, removing most of the late flips that used to be extremely prevalent across the recruiting world. It has also kept the pressure high for each team to secure the best class possible.  While fans thought this could be a chance to rest before the start of bowl season, they better be prepared for loads of drama."  

Early Signing Period      Dates: Dec. 18th-20th

TV Coverage: ESPN2 (Dec. 18 at 10 a.m. - noon ET), ESPNU (Dec. 18 at 12-3 p.m. ET).  Live Stream: WatchESPN

LHN has Early Signing Day Coverage on Dec 18th also.

Notable Commitments: 

• LB Phillip Webb: Wednesday, Dec. 18, at 11 a.m. ET
  • ILB Justin Flowe: Wednesday, Dec. 18, at 1 p.m. ET
  • DE Jordan Burch: Thursday, Dec. 19, at 12:45 p.m. ET

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2867097-early-national-signing-day-2019-dates-top-cfb-prospects-and-tv-schedule

Scipio Tex: Chris Ash Thoughts

Herman: So Chris, we have an opening at DC, in part because you were kind enough to point out that the old one didn't know what he's doing. So what are your recommendations, Chris Ash, guy-I-won-a-national-title-with-at-Ohio-State?

Ash: I think you should hire me.

Herman: Hadn't even crossed my mind. But sounds good! It's funny. The best football coaches on the planet coincidentally also happen to be the handful of people I've ever coached with.

Ash: How fortunate for both of us.

Herman: I know, right?

When a head coach flies down a former defensive coordinator colleague who shared a national title run with him as a consultant in the middle of a football season while his current defensive coordinator is failing, it's pretty clear that he's going to play a role in the next staff. It's like a man flying in his ex-girlfriend to get some input on his failing wife. "Honey, you remember Sherri. She's going to live with us for a while. Follow you around. Just offer helpful tips and stuff." Some quick thoughts:

Stop Frontin'

Ash historically prefers four man fronts. Which is fine. Texas has a good personnel fit for any front we want, though it's important to deploy athletes like Ossai, Ojomo, Coburn, Overshown, and Foster correctly no matter the base defense. The three vs four man front debates are eye-rolling and the people advancing number of DL as a primary cause for Orlando's failure don't understand why he failed. The #1 defense in the conference ran a base 3 man and they had the best pressure and sack rate in the Big 12. It's about deployment, philosophy, fundamentals, and teaching. It's not about how many dudes have their hand on the ground. Four is fine. Three is fine. How are you deploying it and what are you doing around it?

Scheme

Ash is a back-to-basics hire. Understanding and learning his philosophy is important and may be edifying, but as long as he makes the requisite adjustments to Big 12 play, the scheme is just a vehicle to deliver the more substantive changes that need to be made. Texas needs better teaching, coaching and development at the positional level. His understanding of how to best deploy some of our hybrid or hinge personnel is also key. The 2020 defensive staff will have a massive basic coaching deficit to make up. It begins at the positional level. By the way, if that deficit isn't fixed, Ash's scheme will fail. Simple relies on fundamentals and player autonomy. This team needs to get coached up and smartened up. No Xs on the white board are going to work without teaching them the game and their role within the defense. There are no short cuts. I don't care how cool the lines you drew up on the play card look. The era of Mindless Xs running to spots needs to end.

Herman

For a MENSA infinity dimensional chess player, Tom Herman has thus far demonstrated a very narrow, parochial world of coaching hires and possibilities. He might be Matt Damon's character in Good Will Hunting. Gotta leave Southy! It's a big world. That doesn't mean Ash is a bad hire, but it's improbable that the best hire is limited to the universe of individuals that Tom Herman has worked with. Evidence? Math. Also, his former staff at Texas that he's currently in the process of replacing wholesale. That written, best hire doesn't preclude right hire. Or much improved hire. Ash may be just that. Let's try to hold multiple seemingly contradictory ideas in our heads at once.

Teaching

Forget Rutgers. Ash going 8-32 as head coach at Rutgers is irrelevant unless he went 8-32 because he can't communicate, teach, or hold his staff accountable. There are plenty of head coaching train wrecks who are terrific coordinators. Ash's most important traits will be demonstrated by his ability to guide Herman's positional hires, his own ability to coach a position (Orlando the LB coach did a terrible job for Orlando the DC), his understanding of the challenges posed by Big 12 schematic diversity, and his overall ability to teach players and staff what he wants.

The Texas defense will turn it around by teaching the game of football within a sane scheme. By deploying its best players in the proper positions. By demonstrating basic competence in development. Boring, right? It is. But that's how the Texas defense can transform itself over the Spring and Summer camps. The positional hires on defense will be every bit as important as the defensive coordinator.

27 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Scipio Tex: Chris Ash Thoughts

Hide contents

Herman: So Chris, we have an opening at DC, in part because you were kind enough to point out that the old one didn't know what he's doing. So what are your recommendations, Chris Ash, guy-I-won-a-national-title-with-at-Ohio-State?

Ash: I think you should hire me.

Herman: Hadn't even crossed my mind. But sounds good! It's funny. The best football coaches on the planet coincidentally also happen to be the handful of people I've ever coached with.

Ash: How fortunate for both of us.

Herman: I know, right?

When a head coach flies down a former defensive coordinator colleague who shared a national title run with him as a consultant in the middle of a football season while his current defensive coordinator is failing, it's pretty clear that he's going to play a role in the next staff. It's like a man flying in his ex-girlfriend to get some input on his failing wife. "Honey, you remember Sherri. She's going to live with us for a while. Follow you around. Just offer helpful tips and stuff." Some quick thoughts:

Stop Frontin'

Ash historically prefers four man fronts. Which is fine. Texas has a good personnel fit for any front we want, though it's important to deploy athletes like Ossai, Ojomo, Coburn, Overshown, and Foster correctly no matter the base defense. The three vs four man front debates are eye-rolling and the people advancing number of DL as a primary cause for Orlando's failure don't understand why he failed. The #1 defense in the conference ran a base 3 man and they had the best pressure and sack rate in the Big 12. It's about deployment, philosophy, fundamentals, and teaching. It's not about how many dudes have their hand on the ground. Four is fine. Three is fine. How are you deploying it and what are you doing around it?

Scheme

Ash is a back-to-basics hire. Understanding and learning his philosophy is important and may be edifying, but as long as he makes the requisite adjustments to Big 12 play, the scheme is just a vehicle to deliver the more substantive changes that need to be made. Texas needs better teaching, coaching and development at the positional level. His understanding of how to best deploy some of our hybrid or hinge personnel is also key. The 2020 defensive staff will have a massive basic coaching deficit to make up. It begins at the positional level. By the way, if that deficit isn't fixed, Ash's scheme will fail. Simple relies on fundamentals and player autonomy. This team needs to get coached up and smartened up. No Xs on the white board are going to work without teaching them the game and their role within the defense. There are no short cuts. I don't care how cool the lines you drew up on the play card look. The era of Mindless Xs running to spots needs to end.

Herman

For a MENSA infinity dimensional chess player, Tom Herman has thus far demonstrated a very narrow, parochial world of coaching hires and possibilities. He might be Matt Damon's character in Good Will Hunting. Gotta leave Southy! It's a big world. That doesn't mean Ash is a bad hire, but it's improbable that the best hire is limited to the universe of individuals that Tom Herman has worked with. Evidence? Math. Also, his former staff at Texas that he's currently in the process of replacing wholesale. That written, best hire doesn't preclude right hire. Or much improved hire. Ash may be just that. Let's try to hold multiple seemingly contradictory ideas in our heads at once.

Teaching

Forget Rutgers. Ash going 8-32 as head coach at Rutgers is irrelevant unless he went 8-32 because he can't communicate, teach, or hold his staff accountable. There are plenty of head coaching train wrecks who are terrific coordinators. Ash's most important traits will be demonstrated by his ability to guide Herman's positional hires, his own ability to coach a position (Orlando the LB coach did a terrible job for Orlando the DC), his understanding of the challenges posed by Big 12 schematic diversity, and his overall ability to teach players and staff what he wants.

The Texas defense will turn it around by teaching the game of football within a sane scheme. By deploying its best players in the proper positions. By demonstrating basic competence in development. Boring, right? It is. But that's how the Texas defense can transform itself over the Spring and Summer camps. The positional hires on defense will be every bit as important as the defensive coordinator.

Thx @satyanash  

Good quote from Scipio:  "The positional hires on defense will be every bit as important as the defensive coordinator."

Bring in great assistants that develop and coach at a level that results in more Texas players going to the NFL.... that's when the Texas program will return to the CFP.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think anyone here would ever blame the kid for going elsewhere. No one is lining up to shit on a recruit for flipping elsewhere. You shit on the staff that can't keep him in the boat, or who won't hire one of the biggest offensive names out there which would be music to WR ears because you're a narcissistic egomaniac who can't give up control of the offense. 

So that’s the scuttlebutt, huh?  Herman too hands on for Harrell?

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So that’s the scuttlebutt, huh?  Herman too hands on for Harrell?

Herman apparently has some issues with the way Air Raid offenses practice and the effect that might have on a defense that needs repair and lots of teaching. It's not an outrageous stance to take, but it is disappointing. 

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Herman apparently has some issues with the way Air Raid offenses practice and the effect that might have on a defense that needs repair and lots of teaching. It's not an outrageous stance to take, but it is disappointing. 

I'm guessing Harrell's demands are similar to Sterlin Gilbert's demands to Charlie that practice would have to cater to the needs/demands of the offense.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I wouldn't blame him for going elsewhere. I would blame him for heading to perhaps the only offense in the conference that looked more inept than ours, who wasted a more dynamic receiver than anyone we had on our team

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm guessing Harrell's demands are similar to Sterlin Gilbert's demands to Charlie that practice would have to cater to the needs/demands of the offense.

Well Herman is an offensive-minded coach, and we are in an offense-minded conference. Like people have been saying, i's not like we're expecting Ash to shut down everyone he faces, just getting our defense into the top 50/out of the cellar would be improvement enough to get us more wins.

Heck, I'm sure blOU's practices cater to the needs/demands of the offense more than the defense. And it's gotten them what, five straight Big 12 titles?

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Given staff turmoil, that's more a whew than an ouch. QJ flipping would suck, though.

I was referring to the part about Jaylen Garth where it said he had a lower boy injury. But, your point stands. Given the shitshow that's been going on, it's amazing that we haven't had a mass exodus.

Just now, LarTXHorn said:

I was referring to the part about Jaylen Garth where it said he had a lower boy injury. But, your point stands. Given the shitshow that's been going on, it's amazing that we haven't had a mass exodus.

Just being able to hold onto Bijan is a miracle itself.  I still do think QJ signs with us Wednesday. Sure Malcolm Kelly may be cool and all..however at the end of the day.. Why go to TCU where they had a legit top 5 WR and didn't do much for the guy.  Since Meacham left, they have struggled to put points on the board.

Bobby Burton: Monday

From the very beginning of Tom Herman's search for a defensive coordinator, I put the odds of Herman's choice ultimately being Chris Ash at 80-20. I moved those odds up to 90-10 late last week, again based on what I was hearing behind the scenes. Yesterday, Chip Brown broke the news that Ash will be the Horns' next defensive coordinator. While some may feel this is a comfort hire for Herman - and it may well be - it is not a comfort hire alone. If anyone is trying to convince you of that, then they're simply ill-informed. Ash has his own bona fides. He was an up-and-coming coordinator in two different conferences before taking the dead-end job that is Rutgers head coach. Texas will be sound on defense under Ash. They will press more on the outside. They will rely on a more steady and conventional four-man front.

The four-man front, in and of itself, will create a better situation for Texas. With players like Joe Ossai and Marquez Bimage, lining up outside the tackle, it should help the pass rush. It should also help a stronger end like Ta'Quon Graham set the edge more easily while still getting some pressure on the QB. It also likely gets Keondre Coburn and T'Vondre Sweat on the field at the same time more frequently next season, and perhaps allows Moro Ojomo to be a pass rush specialist at the two- or three-technique.

At corner, Jalen Green, with his long, lanky build, is tailor-made for what Ash likes to do. Similarly, BJ Foster is an ideal strong safety candidate for the defense as an extra fill against the run. The defense is more conventional. If you have the players who can execute, then you can be more conventional.

Chip Brown also reported Saturday night that Graham Harrell remains in the mix for the offensive coordinator role at Texas. Harrell is interested. But just how interested is Herman in ceding control of his offense to Harrell? Apparently Herman is having difficulty giving up those reins despite shepherding an offense that, no matter what stats may tell you, had eight three-and-outs against Iowa State and couldn't move the ball for long periods of time against just about every opponent, short of Kansas, that they played this season.

The Texas offense got worse as the season wore on, on third down, and overall. Poor performances against TCU, Iowa State and Baylor almost cost Herman his job as head coach, not just as head of the offense. So if Herman feels like he needs to remain the smartest guy in the room on offense, so be it. It's his program. But if so, I think he's lost his eye for what really transpired on that side of the ball in 2019.