Texas O-line talk

Coach pop a bitch

Random poster (cm1520) on 247 had a decent write-up on TEXAS OL in Tech Game...

" I went back and spent a couple hours rerunning tape on a lot of plays, especially bad plays, and analyzed each for the 5 OL. These are my opinions so take them as you wish.  Similar to last season, this offense tends to go as the OL goes. It was the same for this game. As the OL did well or well enough (0 or 1 OL losing their matchup), the offense usually moves the ball, but at times when 2-4 of them lose a battle On the same play, the play tends to fail.  Straight up blocking is not typically an issue, anything to do with space and lateral mobility is a real weakness, these guys can really get exposed and embarrassed.  There are some real issues keeping a head on a swivel to pick up rushers on the interior, whether it’s picking up a delayed blitz, twist/stunts, or as basic as someone losing their block and next man picking it up. It was really embarrassing and high school level errors at times. This will improve but it shouldn’t be as often as it was vs such an inferior opponent."

Now to individual player breakdowns:

• Okafor really does have some issues lunging as Bobby has noted (not even sure why he does it sometimes), and he’ll get beat quickly by doing it. He’s got some power and can really stick if he gets his hands in position but that’s not very often. He looks almost uncoordinated with his long arms as if they’re flailing around and not under control at times (same with Jones). Liability in consistency, staying focused, confident, susceptible to penalties
  • Christian Jones has some mobility and length for sure but he lacks technique for sure. He’s the inexperienced guy on the line but his potential is there. Needs to work on body control and technique. The tools are there though. Liability due to inconsistencies
  • Angilau actually is a lot less dependable than I thought. He’s probably the least mobile on the OL and may be the biggest liability in pass protection. His lateral mobility is quite poor, as is his awareness. At least for this game and some others I’ve seen, he’s basically Vahe, but Vahe was a better run blocker imo. Can be a Liability in pass and pulling or lateral run blocking
  • Kerstetter missed a few second level open field blocks on LBs (which can be hard in space) but his angles weren’t good and that will really improve the space issue. Kerstetter missed some assignments that could have let some runs really take off but he is consistent enough that he doesn’t typically give up a big/bad block costing us yards. Asset in run and pass
  • Cosmi does almost everything well, solid technique, athletic, good angles, and good vs speed. Cosmi also has the best motor of all and plays through the whistle. The only weaknesses I see is against power (like Connor) he’s not typically moving strong individuals out of the way and being more effective picking up the next level. Stud pass block, good run blocker (for college level)

RB: As a quick side note, the RBs, especially Ingram, have been outstanding in pass pro from what I’ve seen.

Overall
Run blocking, below average to really good at times.
Pass blocking poor to good at times.
Jones Okafor and Angilau are real susceptible to getting beat laterally and at times have bad technique which will very possibly result in a lot of holding penalties.

If this OL can become consistent enough to raise their floor to at least be average in both pass/run, this offense will take off. You’re only as strong as you’re weakest link.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Random poster (cm1520) on 247 had a decent write-up on TEXAS OL in Tech Game...

" I went back and spent a couple hours rerunning tape on a lot of plays, especially bad plays, and analyzed each for the 5 OL. These are my opinions so take them as you wish.  Similar to last season, this offense tends to go as the OL goes. It was the same for this game. As the OL did well or well enough (0 or 1 OL losing their matchup), the offense usually moves the ball, but at times when 2-4 of them lose a battle On the same play, the play tends to fail.  Straight up blocking is not typically an issue, anything to do with space and lateral mobility is a real weakness, these guys can really get exposed and embarrassed.  There are some real issues keeping a head on a swivel to pick up rushers on the interior, whether it’s picking up a delayed blitz, twist/stunts, or as basic as someone losing their block and next man picking it up. It was really embarrassing and high school level errors at times. This will improve but it shouldn’t be as often as it was vs such an inferior opponent."

Now to individual player breakdowns:

• Okafor really does have some issues lunging as Bobby has noted (not even sure why he does it sometimes), and he’ll get beat quickly by doing it. He’s got some power and can really stick if he gets his hands in position but that’s not very often. He looks almost uncoordinated with his long arms as if they’re flailing around and not under control at times (same with Jones). Liability in consistency, staying focused, confident, susceptible to penalties
  • Christian Jones has some mobility and length for sure but he lacks technique for sure. He’s the inexperienced guy on the line but his potential is there. Needs to work on body control and technique. The tools are there though. Liability due to inconsistencies
  • Angilau actually is a lot less dependable than I thought. He’s probably the least mobile on the OL and may be the biggest liability in pass protection. His lateral mobility is quite poor, as is his awareness. At least for this game and some others I’ve seen, he’s basically Vahe, but Vahe was a better run blocker imo. Can be a Liability in pass and pulling or lateral run blocking
  • Kerstetter missed a few second level open field blocks on LBs (which can be hard in space) but his angles weren’t good and that will really improve the space issue. Kerstetter missed some assignments that could have let some runs really take off but he is consistent enough that he doesn’t typically give up a big/bad block costing us yards. Asset in run and pass
  • Cosmi does almost everything well, solid technique, athletic, good angles, and good vs speed. Cosmi also has the best motor of all and plays through the whistle. The only weaknesses I see is against power (like Connor) he’s not typically moving strong individuals out of the way and being more effective picking up the next level. Stud pass block, good run blocker (for college level)

RB: As a quick side note, the RBs, especially Ingram, have been outstanding in pass pro from what I’ve seen.

Overall
Run blocking, below average to really good at times.
Pass blocking poor to good at times.
Jones Okafor and Angilau are real susceptible to getting beat laterally and at times have bad technique which will very possibly result in a lot of holding penalties.

If this OL can become consistent enough to raise their floor to at least be average in both pass/run, this offense will take off. You’re only as strong as you’re weakest link.

Part of the problem is that our OL personnel fit man and gap blocking schemes better than zone. Niether Angilau or Okafor have shown very good feet to make the reach blocks required in zone. Jones has the feet and length for zone blocking, but he’s still extremely raw.  Zone also takes the most reps to get down because it requires a lot of OL cohesion and practice to properly pass off blocks. We had an extremely limited offseason with two new starters and a guy who made a big position change. You can tell Kerstetter is still struggling with how long to help the initial block before moving on to the second level. He knows what to do on each play, but he’s playing tentative because he’s thinking a lot and he’s not doing a good enough job securing the first block before he moves on. He’s basically executing the play like you would in a walk through or no pads practice, and isn’t showing the physicality needed to actually allow the guard to secure the reach block. Hopefully he’ll improve on this as he plays more, but it’s a big problem right now.

The problem is Herman, Hand, and Yurcich have all traditionally run a lot more zone running in their offenses and so far through two games, we’re still calling a lot of zone runs. Hopefully Yurcich/Herman identify we’re struggling with zone right now and move towards more man/gap blocking, but changing the primary run scheme is a big deal (unless you’re Shanahan and then your teams execute all three techniques flawlessly). Herman’s history indicates he’s not going to make that change, so it seems to be a question of whether Yurcich identifies the need to change and whether Herman gives him that discretion. 

I don’t see our zone blocking having much success at all against either TCU or OU based on how we’ve executed it the last two games. OU especially stunts, slants, and blitzes a lot, all of which will blow up slow developing zone blocks. Even if we were blocking zone we’ll, we’d need to switch it up for them by calling more quick hitting runs up the A and B gaps. That’s what KSU runs all the time, and it’s a big part of why they’ve beat OU two years in a row. Grinch showed last week he’s not changing his scheme, and we know our run scheme doesn’t work against his defense, so I really hope we see Yurcich make a change when we play OU in a couple weeks. If not, it’s gonna be a bad sign for our offense. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Posted in the injury thread, but Tyler Johnson hasn't practiced in the last couple of weeks due to non-COVID related issue.  Was cleared for 50% weight room workload this week.

Sucks to hear all these issues with him. We really need him to be developing for the future even if he doesn’t play at all this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, satyanash said:

How can you be this bad on the groud? Our RBs have 8 combined carries for just 14 yards, and the longest run (eight yards) ended with Ingram coughing it up.

image.png.53a61c48b762e646bb6659d7377b5007.png

remember when we used to have running backs gain 100 yards in the same game?  Or 1000 yards in a season?

• Hook 'Em 1

OL shoulders the most blame of anyone in this game. Pass pro and run blocking killed the offense. 

Maybe we should have kept our solid RT at that position instead of forcing him to C and starting a garbage first-timer at RT.. 

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

OL shoulders the most blame of anyone in this game. Pass pro and run blocking killed the offense. 

Maybe we should have kept our solid RT at that position instead of forcing him to C and starting a garbage first-timer at RT.. 

And who plays center in this scenario? 

1 minute ago, RabidM said:

Yeah, that would have been even worse. The biggest failure is us not protecting Jones through scheme. He struggles with speed on the edge, yet we never seem to line up a TE next to him, chip with a RB, etc. we just kept leaving him on an island on obvious pass downs over and over. For a team that uses as much 11 and 12 personnel as we do, it’s almost unfathomable how little help we give him. Especially when you have a guy in Cosmi at LT who basically never needs help. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RabidM said:

The staff was banking on being able to develop Rafiti Ghirmai in time for him to take over at center. They failed, and the result was shifting Kerstetter over and throwing a clearly unprepared Christian Jones into the fire.

I mean I’ll gladly say it and have all over the threads. The OL sucks ass. It is fucking garbage. They can’t run block, they can barely pass block. They always commit stupid ass penalties. They aren’t athletic enough to pin and pull. They are barely able to even zone block. And they struggle passing off blocks or handling stunts. The reality is the OL is crucial to an offense more than any other group, maybe even QB. I’ll say it again, an elite OL will make mediocre position groups look phenomenal, especially QBs and RBs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1