Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

I listened to an audiobook about the NYC scene in the early Aughts, and there are a lot of stories of him being just grating in those days.  He was partying pretty hard back then, but I'm not sure he really got any better when he sobered up.
Of course, he didn't really sober up until after his cancellation.  

“Meet Me In The Bathroom”? Really fun book.

I’m with you guys on Adams. I have all of his albums up until the allegations and then a bunch of bootleg stuff I collected over the years. Listened to him all of the time. Easily my favorite artist but have listened to very little of him since, mostly Whiskeytown era. I guess I try to justify that as being before he was a total asshole.

He always just seemed like kind of a dick but mainly just a damaged guy. When you add being predatory to people like Pheobe Bridgers and abusive to his own wife (among other things), I’m out.

On 1/3/2024 at 9:38 PM, Celery Man said:

I can’t decide if I’m able to enjoy Ryan Adams anymore, and I thought that maybe it didn’t matter after one of his recentish albums. However he just released three albums - I’m listening through Star Sign and it feels kinda vintage Ryan Adams.

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why are the vocals so buried?  I need to check my monitors.

He released like 4 albums at once, I think Star Sign is an actual new album and the others are old shit. I saw a thing about Sword and Stone specifically and some of the heatwave songs where the source material is 128kbps. Old demo mp3 shit.

Edited by Celery Man

On 1/8/2024 at 2:31 PM, Stringer said:

Meet Me In The Bathroom”? Really fun book.

I tried to read it and got like two chapters in before I pulled a

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Edited by G650

On 1/8/2024 at 11:57 AM, Celery Man said:

This is the wrong thread for it but I was reading something about bands getting cancelled from the... I guess 2000s pop punk/emo scene that I was somewhat involved in. Specifically, Brand New got cancelled because he was basically picking up 16 year olds after shows and trading photos and stuff, and there were some similar allegations about Say Anything as well as Less Than Jake. And I just had this weird dawning of.... fuck man I saw so much of that. I read the Say Anything stuff and was like "oh uh yeah man I wonder if they are talking about the people i personally know who this could describe" or remembering seeing Rog from LTJ take some high school girls back stage, so much of that shit that didn't seem predatory at all (it seemed cool) when you were the 17 year old and it's weird to remember that again now as a 38 year old man and have it register how fucked up it is.

I was 28 when we did Warped Tour and I wouldn't talk to any girls on the assumption that everyone there is 14 years old. Not that I'm so great or whatever because i wasn't really judging people who were less careful at the time but I'm glad I had better sense, etc/

Damn, I was a huge LTJ fan in high school. Never heard any of that stuff. I haven't listened to them in probably 20+ years, but that's a damn shame.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn Quails Bryon White small venue last evening...had no idea he was that good of a player. Awesome singer/front man...a seamless 2 hour show. The Montego Black telecaster's tone and crunch had my full attention. Just great musicianship at all 4 spots. Unbelievable keyboardist, flawless bass & percussion. Gabe Marshall was not with them & no fiddle or steel. Would love to see em full roster but last night it didn't matter...catch em when you can. Best 16 buck ticket that I can recall. 

53474886856_f9f54cb277_b.jpg 53474028827_7743e42772_b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, noharleyyet said:

Damn Quails Bryon White small venue last evening...had no idea he was that good of a player. Awesome singer/front man...a seamless 2 hour show. The Montego Black telecaster's tone and crunch had my full attention. Just great musicianship at all 4 spots. Unbelievable keyboardist, flawless bass & percussion. Gabe Marshall was not with them & no fiddle or steel. Would love to see em full roster but last night it didn't matter...catch em when you can. Best 16 buck ticket that I can recall. 

53474886856_f9f54cb277_b.jpg 53474028827_7743e42772_b.jpg

I saw them at Cain’s in my first quasi-post COVID show (March of ‘21).  It was excellent

• Like 1

Saw Charles Wesley Gordon, Isbell, and Turnpike last night. Was unbelievable. CWG is insanely good and has such a bright future. Isbell was awesome. Had a new guitar player, while his other is on paternity leave, that absolutely shredded. Turnpike was better than when i saw them in Little Rock last year. Two years Sober Evan was on point. Voice sounded great and they were happy to be home. I wish i had tickets to his solo shows in Tulsa next week. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Elle King (is she famous apart from being Rob Schneider’s daughter?) apparently got shitfaced, forgot the lyrics, and then dropped a million f bombs at a Dolly Parton tribute at the opry this weekend.

She had a pretty popular album a few years back that was good.  She's a pretty talented artist, IMO.  I love her cover of Childers' "Jersey Giant".

Now she'll go to rehab and have a "sobriety" album that blows up.

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Well I shall withhold judgment apart from my educated opinion that this kind of event does indicate a need for help.

I doubt you're wrong, but I just mostly wanted to vouch for her talent, which as we all know often comes with demons.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Mike and the Moonpies is now Silverada

https://www.themoonpies.com

Bold move, I’m sure it will pay off for them.

I’m a huge fan of these guys and I don’t understand this at all.  The original name was dumb but who cares?

Makes me a little concerned that the new album is gonna have lots of pickup trucks parked down by the river.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m a huge fan of these guys and I don’t understand this at all.  The original name was dumb but who cares?

Makes me a little concerned that the new album is gonna have lots of pickup trucks parked down by the river.

As long as she's wearing short jeans shorts and a little white tank, I don't care.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

maybe the bandmates were really tired of being called moonpies for 14 years?

If you’re the Dixie Chicks, you can go from The Dixie Chicks to The Chicks and people will keep up. I don’t know how a band like the Moonpies doesn’t set themselves back  8 years worth of touring with this. Just live with the name.

Mandolin Orange was a group from around here that i was moderately interested in. They changed their name to I don’t know what and for me they may as well have disappeared.

Edited by Celery Man

11 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Drive By Truckers is a pretty stupid name, and those are still riding it out. 

I remember Patterson Hood publicly stating this a couple years ago and then being like “we’re 20 years into this.  Fuck it.”