2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

32 minutes ago, po elvis said:

We did not play the 4th quarter of games. Mainly because Herman felt we had games won and wanted to run out the clock and he didn't want to get Sam hurt. We were not 28-21 better than Georgia. In that game we were like 35-10 better. We just stopped playing. Anyone that watched that game know we were much better than Georgia. The game was never in doubt.

other games:

Tulsa 21-0 at half. 28-21 final

KSU 19-0 at half. 19-14 final

OU 45-24 3rd Q. 48-45 final

Baylor 23-10 half. 23-17 final

Tech 27-10 3rd Q. 41-34 final

ISU 24-3 3rd Q. 24-10 final

Kansas 21-0 3rd Q. 24-17 final

Georgia 28-7 4th Q. 28-21 final

all these seemingly close games by the final score we had control of the whole game until the end.

I like that Sam came into his own and told Herman during a game, "Are we going to keep the foot on the gas or are we going to get all conservative again". Obviously Herman told him to shut-up and got conservative all over again but more players are going to start ridiculing Herman for getting conservative as the team gets better.

20 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Agree. Fuck the "we only got to win by one" mentality and the "momentum doesn't exist" shit. Fuck that. Score, then score some more. Blitz, then blitz some more. Don't ever change the game plan to conservative or coast mode. Goddamn we need to just hire Mike Leech for a day to put his foot in TH's ass if he doesn't run up the score on people this season.

While I agree with the sentiment and the passion, remember what offense we had last year. This wasn't the VY or Colt "fuck it, score again just to teach them their place!" offense. This was an offense that was forced to operate in a 7 yard area. The OL just wasn't good enough (and Sam usually not quite accurate enough) to threaten downfield. As a result, we had to drive the ball by mixing in and out runs with slants and QB draws. We kept the chains and the clock moving.

In the 2nd half, when we had the lead, we played to kill the clock. That wasn't usually out of choice. It was out of a need not to risk cheap points to the opponent any more than necessary. We relied on a ferocious defense.

We won 10 games and the Sugar Bowl last season despite not being good enough to dictate terms. Now, let's see what happens when the OL can pass protect for a 4 count and Sam can hit a seam route 20 yards in the air.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Skipper said:

True but let's not pretend that wasn't a major fucking issue last season.   We were fortunate to not lose 1-2 of those games.    This team The coaching staff needs to figure out how to close out an opponent this season for sure.

FIFY

I’ll go into this season thinking that last year herman didn’t feel comfortable enough with the team to close games out with dominance, so when he saw a comfortable lead he chose to take the air out of the ball. 

But this season he feels better about his team and will want aggression for 60 minutes. 

Dont prove me wrong, coach. 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Boyd had his best games last year against the top WR's he faced. Raegor from TCU, Sills from WVU, and Brown from OU. Orlando constantly put him on an island against those guys and he came up big time. If Orlando does that again this year with Green, I am not sure I trust one on one matchups against Lamb, Raegor, etc. 

None of this is really accurate. He stayed on one side of the field, so he wasn’t covering any one receiver the whole game. We leave him in man with no help sometimes but generally mix coverages, so he wasn’t just put on an island the whole game. Guys like Brown, Reagor, and Sills all had huge games against us and Boyd also had some terrible mental lapses and back breaking penalties, like when he tried to stay with a banged up Brown in the CCG and committed multiple penalties, including one that took back a pick.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The problem against OU was the OL penalties that killed drives late in the game.  But for those, they don't stop us.

And that really stupid play call on 3rd and 3 with 5:33 up 14, and OU just had 1 TO left. You pick up that 3rd down, you run another at least another 2 minutes off the clock, and probably have OU burn their last TO.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

While he might have made some plays against those guys, giving up:

6/97- 2TDs (Sills)

8/96- TD (Raegor)

9/131- 2 TD's (Brown-OU game)

5/54- Injured in Championship game

that's not great.  Or even good.  

I also assume he was not man-up on all these....just pointing out that saying he "came up big"....doesn't look like it's very accurate.

Some of that stuff was based on different coverages, but I don't recall Boyd getting outright beat by any of those guys except maybe once with Brown. He shut down Raegor for the most part. 

Edited by Vertigo

A couple weeks ago Rod Babers went on a bit of a tangent about sacks as an individual statistic. The gist of what he was saying is that sacks can be over-rated as a measure of personal production. A sack is often the result of someone else on the team doing something right - like getting into the backfield and chasing the qb into someone else's range. Because of the interdependence involved in team defense the number of sacks any individual gets from year to year will typically vary quite a bit. In the line of thinking that Rod was talking about, the total of qb hits, pressures and qb hurries that any particular DL can get would be a better indicator of personal production than simply the number of sacks. Apparently this is the way a lot of defensive strategists are evolving.  

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Some of that stuff was based on different coverages, but I don't recall Boyd getting outright beat by any of those guys except maybe once with Brown. He shut down Raegor for the most part. 

He got beat badly multiple times against Reagor and there was a poor to meh throw and he was able to recover and knock away the ball. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

Some interesting things to look out for:

-Jacoby Jones was looking really good and running second team until he suckerpunched a helmetless Kerstetter in the face during the aftermath of some spicy skirmish. He's now got to work his way out of the doghouse.

-Sweat will not be redshirting if he stays healthy. He's better than they thought, and they thought he'd be good. No point in redshirting guys that might only be around for 3 years.

-Coburn has a chance to be legitimately great this season. Did he redshirt last year? I feel like he did.

-They really like Wiley, but he's still growing. It's a good problem to have, but there's a shot he grows into a massive OT.

-Kerstetter is the most improved player on the team so far.

-They really like the FR class, and they really think Smith and Whittington are going to have huge seasons.

-Caldwell is good when playcalls are simple. Anything complex and he's totally derailed. Probably redshirting unless someone gets hurt.

-Mpagi is going to be a good player, but there's a pretty good chance this current class means he's recruited over. He's going to have to ensure his hustle never sleeps to get on the field.

-Tyler Johnson probably can't redshirt.

-It's known, but they're loaded at safety. Adimora is a better player than Owens right now, and Adimora is faster than they'd projected. 

-Worry at CB is merited, simply because experience is a true problem and there's no shortcut. The front 7 needs to find itself quickly and bring a consistent pass rush.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Some interesting things to look out for:

-Jacoby Jones was looking really good and running second team until he suckerpunched a helmetless Kerstetter in the face during the aftermath of some spicy skirmish. He's now got to work his way out of the doghouse.

-Sweat will not be redshirting if he stays healthy. He's better than they thought, and they thought he'd be good. No point in redshirting guys that might only be around for 3 years.

-Coburn has a chance to be legitimately great this season. Did he redshirt last year? I feel like he did.

-They really like Wiley, but he's still growing. It's a good problem to have, but there's a shot he grows into a massive OT.

-Kerstetter is the most improved player on the team so far.

-They really like the FR class, and they really think Smith and Whittington are going to have huge seasons.

-Caldwell is good when playcalls are simple. Anything complex and he's totally derailed. Probably redshirting unless someone gets hurt.

-Mpagi is going to be a good player, but there's a pretty good chance this current class means he's recruited over. He's going to have to ensure his hustle never sleeps to get on the field.

-Tyler Johnson probably can't redshirt.

-It's known, but they're loaded at safety. Adimora is a better player than Owens right now, and Adimora is faster than they'd projected. 

-Worry at CB is merited, simply because experience is a true problem and there's no shortcut. The front 7 needs to find itself quickly and bring a consistent pass rush.

Glad they are making Jones pay for being a dumbass but they are going to need him, he needs to make it out of that doghouse. 

2 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

While I agree with the sentiment and the passion, remember what offense we had last year. This wasn't the VY or Colt "fuck it, score again just to teach them their place!" offense. This was an offense that was forced to operate in a 7 yard area. The OL just wasn't good enough (and Sam usually not quite accurate enough) to threaten downfield. As a result, we had to drive the ball by mixing in and out runs with slants and QB draws. We kept the chains and the clock moving.

In the 2nd half, when we had the lead, we played to kill the clock. That wasn't usually out of choice. It was out of a need not to risk cheap points to the opponent any more than necessary. We relied on a ferocious defense.

We won 10 games and the Sugar Bowl last season despite not being good enough to dictate terms. Now, let's see what happens when the OL can pass protect for a 4 count and Sam can hit a seam route 20 yards in the air.

Yes, for last year, I get it, fine. This year, stop with the conservative once we are winning shit.

Like the OU game especially. We had that one wrapped up and let them get back into the game and almost beat us by playing too conservative. That game was all momentum and emotions. We lost the momentum and went 3 and out, 6 and out, and 3 and out. Fuck. It only burned up about 7 mins of clock.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=401013067

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

Yes, for last year, I get it, fine. This year, stop with the conservative once we are winning shit.

Like the OU game especially. We had that one wrapped up and let them get back into the game and almost beat us by playing too conservative. That game was all momentum and emotions. We lost the momentum and went 3 and out, 6 and out, and 3 and out. Fuck. It only burned up about 7 mins of clock.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=401013067

Two of those drives were killed by backbreaking holding penalties.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Viper said:

I thought the personal fouls in the sugar bowl were on the last drive and just slowed down the last incomplete drive.

Don't go using your fancy facts to contradict my drunken memory... but I'm pretty sure that Davis and Cook had back to back targeting penalties for 30 yards on their final scoring drive that made it 28-21.

1 minute ago, Tylerocks said:

Any other info on this?

What other info would you need?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

While he might have made some plays against those guys, giving up:
6/97- 2TDs (Sills)
8/96- TD (Raegor)
9/131- 2 TD's (Brown-OU game)
5/54- Injured in Championship game
that's not great.  Or even good.  
I also assume he was not man-up on all these....just pointing out that saying he "came up big"....doesn't look like it's very accurate.

70 yds and a TD by brown came from the bomb he had out of the slot with Locke trying to buckle his chin strap at the snap. Assuming all the rest were on Boyd, I’ll take 8-60 all damn day.

17 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Any other info on this?

7 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

How the skirmish started?

Who was involved?

What was the end result?

Did he get thrown out of practice?

Suckerpunching someone is a bitch move.

Who the fuck knows or cares (besides you)? It's not the end of the world and I'd prefer the guys getting violent than the bellyrubbing tai chi shit of the Mack Brown and Chuckles eras.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

48 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

He got beat badly multiple times against Reagor and there was a poor to meh throw and he was able to recover and knock away the ball. 

Yep. Boyd couldn't hang with Reagor. The only thing that saved him was Robinson's terrible passes.

14 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Who was involved?

What was the end result?

It's insider information, dude. When was the last time you saw a coach at a press conference or statement release offer up, voluntarily "Yeah, X Player has had a great off-season but he sucker punched a defenseless teammate. We're going to offer him up to answer questions next on all the details of the incident."

The answer is never. That's never fucking happened. That stuff is handled internally and at most you hear a "violation of team policy." Come the fuck on man. 

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Who the fuck knows or cares (besides you)? It's not the end of the world and I'd prefer the guys getting violent than the bellyrubbing tai chi shit of the Mack Brown and Chuckles eras.

Name checks out.

39 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's insider information, dude. When was the last time you saw a coach at a press conference or statement release offer up, voluntarily "Yeah, X Player has had a great off-season but he sucker punched a defenseless teammate. We're going to offer him up to answer questions next on all the details of the incident."

The answer is never. That's never fucking happened. That stuff is handled internally and at most you hear a "violation of team policy." Come the fuck on man. 

Did I say I expected a coach to say anything, you fucking clown?

I thought the "insider" might have more insight on it, that's all.

Good luck with your blood pressure.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

70 yds and a TD by brown came from the bomb he had out of the slot with Locke trying to buckle his chin strap at the snap. Assuming all the rest were on Boyd, I’ll take 8-60 all damn day.

Actually, Boyd was racing across the formation to get lined up and ended up looking for work in a nickelback’s no man’s land  while Locke tried to run with Brown. Basically it was a coverage bust on Boyd’s part. 

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Who was involved?

What was the end result?

There has been some bad blood between the lines ever since Kerstetter hit Oscar Giles in the face with a quaffle during a game of Quidditch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Actually, Boyd was racing across the formation to get lined up and ended up looking for work in a nickelback’s no man’s land  while Locke tried to run with Brown. Basically it was a coverage bust on Boyd’s part. 

No. That play happened right in front of me. They were all looking at the sideline waiting for the play to be called in. That one was 100% on the coaches. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

No. That play happened right in front of me. They were all looking at the sideline waiting for the play to be called in. That one was 100% on the coaches. 

damned rude of the ops to start a play before our guys were ready......